PDA

View Full Version : SARATOGA: Meet's Middle Ends..

Kasept
08-21-2006, 04:41 AM
Picking a winner in a single race is hard enough, but chasing the Pick Six is a category all its' own when it comes to difficulty factor. Matt Dugger ('Hooves' around Derby Trail), Sam Hubbard (my Godson) and Barry Frey (Barbecue Patriarch) played a moderately-priced sextet ducat Sunday, which came as close to a $30,000+ score as any you will ever see... The 7th race nose photo between Zito's Debbie Got Even and Tale of the Queen (a single on their ticket) was the difference between 6 of 6 and 5 of 6.

For the 2nd time of this meet, heavy early rain forced races off the turf but found the main track listed as 'fast' by the start of the 5th which kicked off the big multi-race play. Streaking Barclay Tagg got another win there when firster Nehantic Cat (4-1) bested Rausenbach's Halo (3-2), and came back with the day's best bet in the John's Call (8th) with Lael's Auguri (2-1); Shug McGaughey and Edgar Prado teamed to get Carriage Trail (5-2) to the winner's circle over Madame Diva in the 6th; 10-1 Ok to Pay was a daring use in the 9th over 1-2 Citronnade, and Treasured Song was the obvious winner of the 10th. $39,039 was the P6 payout, and the blanket finish beat of the 7th was the only misstep for our pals...

Several exactas were sprinkled among Sunday's tabs, but our own view of the P6 was botched by Carriage Trail and scratches. The Pacific Classic at Del Mar was a score though with the 4 selections (Super Frolic; Lava Man' Perfect Drift; Good Reward) finishing 3rd, 1st, 4th and 2nd respectively. Boxes of the quartet returned $33.00 (EX); $207.60 (TRI) and $746.00 (SUPER)...

Hope you did well this weekend... Monday's card ends the 2nd fortnight of the meet and is very attractive.. Having played sparingly over the weekend, we're anxious to dive into the races here...

SELECTIONS -- Saratoga, Monday, August 21, 2006

Superfectas in the 4th and 9th today...

1st: CLM, 3yo, 1m-IT

1. #1a (poe) Taken Not Given 6-1: 2nd of Contessa pair goes first for a tag
2. #2 Titled 2-1: Mott teams with J.R. on grey offered for sale first time too
A. #7 Trailing Twelve 9-2: Five Star Day ridgling can chase, stalk or close
B. #4 Maroon 5-1: Menifee bay gets big jock switch from Blanc to Castellano

(NOTE -- #3 Smoke'n Cherokee 7-2: Inclined to add steadily-developing Dutrow runner to deep trifecta key plays..)

2nd: MDN CLM, 3+, 9f

1. #7 That's Our Point 1-1: A horse so plainly obvious that it's suspect
2. #4 Elshaan 6-1: KMc Shadwell 5yo has been a consistant disappointment
A. #5 Pratt 5-1: Wilmott FuPeg homebred beaten combined 40 lengths last 2
B. #8 Festival Hall 8-1: Darley-bred Gone West gelding improving for Russo

3rd: CLM, F&M-3+, 7f

1. #3 Game Card 8-5: Everything points to Contessa mare with hot Cornelio
2. #7 Factual Contender 8-1: Inviting tote on outside stalker from 0-fer Lewis
A. #5 Jules for A.J. 5-2: Klesaris nabbed Jules bay last; Adds $10k to tag
B. #6 Fuego Grande 15-1: BIG overlay on bay who's been facing better last 2

4th: MSW, 2yo, 5.5f-T (SUPER)

1. #4 Mucho Gusto 7-2: Much to like about Forest Camp bay from Blasi
2. #6 Narthax 8-1: Nicks (7/0-0-0) gets Prado for firster by Pulpit
A. #5 Longley 5-1: Motion bay may want longer, but works say go
B. #2 Westwon 6-1: Pricey Lukas chestnut has win early profile
C. #1 Thunder Rising 8-1: Toner 2nd time starter lost irons in tossout debut

5th: ALW/N2L, F&M-3+, 6.5f

1. #6 Veneti 5-2: Albertrani filly by Old Trieste scratched Sunday for this
2. #2 El Raabi 10-1: KMc FuPeg red responded to Santos when gaining diploma
A. #4 Generosity 5-1: Levine has been quietly doing fine at meet; Turf to dirt
B. #5 Good Witch Glenda 3-1: Blasi bay got up first start at three

6th: NYB-MSW, 2yo, 6.5f

1. #3 Freudian 5-2: Sometimes a favorite is just a favorite..
2. #6 Motor West 4-1: "Take that California trip"..
A. #7 Mor Chances 8-1: Bay drilled nice after debut flop
B. #8 Raven H 8-1: Hard to exclude ANY runner from Tom Bush right now

7th: NYB-OC/N2X, 3+, 5.5f-T

1. #6 Wave the Baton 3-1: Velasquez-Clement 3 of 5 at meet; Imposing
2. #1 (poe) Macklenin 12-1: Araya famous for picking spots well
A. #2 A. Dutrow entry 4-1: Pair of good ones from slick "other" Dutrow
B. #4 Tough Shipmate 9-2: Schosberg Good and Tough has speed, Edgar

8th: 3rd Union Avenue, $70,000, NYB-F&M, 3+, 6f

1. #6 Gold Like U 8-5: Deserving favorite fits race scenario; 3rd off break
2. #1 Fighting Speedy 5-1: Winless Leah sends fast working chestnut
A. #5 Royal Fudge 8-1: Note identical 3rd off break pattern from '05
B. #4 Sweet Sweet 5-2: Hushion-Mig candidate could get loose on front end

9th: NYB-MSW, 3+, 8.5f-IT (SUPER)

1. #8 Jelly Roll Rumble 9-2: Duggan chestnut gelding sitting on a good one
2. #10 Speaking Out 5-2: Logical choice under Desormeaux takes off goggles
A. #12 Chosen Aptitude 6-1: Aptitude bay's best tries have come this going 8.5-9 panels
B. #2 L C Winston 10-1: Figure Grand Slam bay gets lost on board; Was 7-2 in bow

LONGSHOT ALERT/SUPER ADD: #5 In No Time (20-1) has been running from outside last three; Improves post and may catch bottom of exotics..

Good luck..
Steve

onebadbeast
08-22-2006, 12:38 AM
I Said Last Time That You Were Killin Me From Me Not Knowing When Your Picks Were Gonna Hit. Well, I Was Burned Again. I Looked Right At Your Picks For The Pacific Classic On Sunday Morning And Once Again Thought Nothin' Of Them. You Would Lose Again When I Saw You Didnt Have Lava Man On Top. Well, I Know You Mix Your Picks Up But Did I Bet Your Picks? Like A Dummie I Did Not And You Commence To Get Hot. Next Time Could You Let Everyone Know When You Are Feelin' Your Oats!

timmgirvan
08-22-2006, 03:58 AM
OBB: you pays yer money,and you takes yer chances!! Btw...thanks Kasept for the TRI in the 4th and 6th that I cashed on....and the ones on the weekend that I didnt play. Fantastic work Steve!!

TitanSooner
08-22-2006, 11:58 AM
$16 pick 4 ticket using Steve's top 2 picks in each race yields $324.50.. oops, $649.. I had it twice...

You da man!

Kasept
08-22-2006, 05:21 PM
Thx fellas.. Timm, you always seem to snare the big hits! Congrats.. Titan, glad you caught the P4.. Smarter than me as I singled Freudian in the first leg like a dope. Wasn't at the track Monday after the 1st, so I didn't make the move on the trifecta plays either... Missed opportunities... Uggh. Just glad to be back on the ball after a weak 4-5 day period going into the weekend.

12 cards left and there's always juicy opps the last week or so...