PDA

View Full Version : 3 Yo's/ the "2nd season"

oracle80
06-05-2006, 08:11 AM
The last few years the "2nd season" has been very different than the first season in terms of who has succeeded. The Belmont is the last of the "first season" races, meaning the tri crown and all the tri crown preps.
The 2nd season is the Swaps, Dwyer, Jim Dandy, Haskell, Travers, and all of the races in the fall for 3 year olds and up.
Who does everyone feel will emerge in the 2nd seaon as a leading 3yo? Heres a list of mine:
1) Bernadini - hes lightly raced and obviously posesses lots of talent. I think hes gonna be ferocious.
2) Showing Up- He showed me more talent in his Derby loss than he ever did in any of his wins. Rushed back on two weeks rest and a minor ailment, he attended the pace and made a strong middle move before running out of gas. Had never been further than a mile and a sixteenth before that and was rushing back quickly so to me, that was an awesome race. I know they said he was gonna point for grass, but at the time the owners had Barbaro still scheduled for the dirt races. Hes been freshened and should return like a tank.
3)AP Warrior- He showed flashes of extreme ability this year. Been freshened and will point for the California summer three year old races. Think hes going to be one of the top summer and fall three year olds.

Skip away
06-05-2006, 08:43 AM
Good list, I think you pointed out the obvious ones. Dont forget about Corinthian and Discreet Cat. I dont think we've seen the best from either of these potential superstars. The other horses were real lucky neither didnt run in the Triple Crown.

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-05-2006, 08:49 AM
I LOVE both Discreet Cat and Corinthian, but I think it is going to be all Bernadini this summer. We have a great group of three year olds this year! There are many potential superstars out there. I am not going to give up on Brother Derek or SNS either. We'll know for sure when they make their first starts this summer. They may be a notch below the top ones though. I also can't wait to get First Samuri back. And then there are also the horses in the Belmont that could step it up...namely, Sunriver.

miraja2
06-05-2006, 08:50 AM
I think the big question mark regarding these races is Discreet Cat. I don't think anybody really knows what he will do when (if) he shows up for these races.
I also think Bluegrass Cat could be this year's Flower Alley (Pletcher & Johnny V again).
My other pick would be High Finance, but I am afraid the Belmont might completely fry him. In his last two races he broke his maiden by 9 over a next out winner, and then ran a 101 Beyer to win by five going 8 furlongs. I don't think he's anywhere close to being ready to run 12 furlongs on Saturday, but if he comes out of it okay I like his chances in the 9 furlong races later in the year.

miraja2
06-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Also just out of curiosity, why do you guys like Corinthian so much? As far as I know his only real accomplishment was crossing the finish line in front of First Sam and Flashy Bull in the FoY (even though he was DQ'd back to third). Based on what those horses did the rest of the spring, that doesn't seem like any great accomplishment.
Has he done something else that makes you guys like him?

Also, these are my first posts on this board since I moved from the ESPN board today. Seems like a really nice site. To those responsible I say, nice job.

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Also just out of curiosity, why do you guys like Corinthian so much? As far as I know his only real accomplishment was crossing the finish line in front of First Sam and Flashy Bull in the FoY (even though he was DQ'd back to third). Based on what those horses did the rest of the spring, that doesn't seem like any great accomplishment.

Also, these are my first posts on this board since I moved from the ESPN board today. Seems like a really nice site. To those responsible I say, nice job.

Corinthian had been dramatically improving until he got sidelined due to the injury. You could tell he was injured coming down the stretch in the FOY because of the way he was lugging in and out, yet he still crossed the finish line first. Plus, I'm a huge fan of the Jerkins barn. First Samuri and Flashy Bull both had excuses in their races after the FOY. First Samuri broke his ribs in the BG Stakes. He will be back, and when he comes back, he will be a force to be reckoned with. IMO, Flashy Bull is a notch below these two, but he is still a very nice horse. In his first start after the FOY, the Kentucky Derby, Flashy Bull got hit in the neck with Brother Derek's shoe as it came off in the early stages of the race, plus Mike Smith gave a horrible ride that day (which could be because of the shoe incident). The horse didn't stand a chance to run his race. Plus, Flashy Bull had way too many weeks in between the FOY and the Derby. Corinthian may be a notch below the top horses, but until he proves otherwise, I'm going to say he is among the top in this group of talented three year olds. If he keeps improving like he was in the early spring, he is going to be awesome. It's hard to say how good he is though until he makes that first start this summer.

Secretariat
06-05-2006, 09:33 AM
I like First Sam to pick up some money in there somewhere especially at the 8.5 distances. if there are any graded races that short in the fall.

Strong Contender should move forward.

i also like sunriver.

Pointg5
06-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Ministers Bid

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Ministers Bid

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. So many good ones! This is going to be a great betting season!

lemoncrush
06-05-2006, 09:47 AM
I hope to see a lot of the west coast horses who were injured (and possessed a lot of potential) find their way back to the track this summer/fall.
Peace Chant, Bashert, Bro Lo, Enforcement, One Union and eventualy (hopefully) Stevie wonderboy.

Cajungator26
06-05-2006, 09:51 AM
What about Henny Hughes? :confused:

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-05-2006, 09:54 AM
What about Henny Hughes? :confused:

Here is his workouts. He's looking good.

http://www.drf.com/workoutsForHorseAction.do?rNo=03020783

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Discreet Cat must have been injured. He's only had two recent workouts.

http://www.drf.com/workoutsForHorseAction.do?rNo=03022573

Corinthian

http://www.drf.com/workoutsForHorseAction.do?rNo=03024560

jpops757
06-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Lets add Your Tent or Mine.

Thunder Gulch
06-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Agree on Bernandini and really like Showing Up as well. I, for one, don't think we've seen the last of Point Determined. He was really rushed to make it to the Triple Crown races, and ran well in the preps despite being immature. If he puts it together mentally, he has some ability to be a player in the routes.

boldruler
06-05-2006, 01:36 PM
The last few years the "2nd season" has been very different than the first season in terms of who has succeeded. The Belmont is the last of the "first season" races, meaning the tri crown and all the tri crown preps.
The 2nd season is the Swaps, Dwyer, Jim Dandy, Haskell, Travers, and all of the races in the fall for 3 year olds and up.
Who does everyone feel will emerge in the 2nd seaon as a leading 3yo? Heres a list of mine:
1) Bernadini - hes lightly raced and obviously posesses lots of talent. I think hes gonna be ferocious.
2) Showing Up- He showed me more talent in his Derby loss than he ever did in any of his wins. Rushed back on two weeks rest and a minor ailment, he attended the pace and made a strong middle move before running out of gas. Had never been further than a mile and a sixteenth before that and was rushing back quickly so to me, that was an awesome race. I know they said he was gonna point for grass, but at the time the owners had Barbaro still scheduled for the dirt races. Hes been freshened and should return like a tank.
3)AP Warrior- He showed flashes of extreme ability this year. Been freshened and will point for the California summer three year old races. Think hes going to be one of the top summer and fall three year olds.

Oracle, Showing Up is on the grass for now. I think he is working on the turf again today or tomorrow (depends on the turf). The owners want to get him some money and they are taking him to Virginia. He might go to the Jim Dandy if the turf experiment doesn't work, but the barn said he took to the turf as expected. Unfortunately, his stabemate Nice Nelly (another Jackson horse- Seattle Slew filly) broke down working with him last week but is apparently ok after surgery. Not positive on Nice Nelly though, actually read that somewhere else.

oracle80
06-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Oracle, Showing Up is on the grass for now. I think he is working on the turf again today or tomorrow (depends on the turf). The owners want to get him some money and they are taking him to Virginia. He might go to the Jim Dandy if the turf experiment doesn't work, but the barn said he took to the turf as expected. Unfortunately, his stabemate Nice Nelly (another Jackson horse- Seattle Slew filly) broke down working with him last week but is apparently ok after surgery. Not positive on Nice Nelly though, actually read that somewhere else.
Thats a damn shame about Nelly. Was that work on the grass where she broke down? Cause if it was I'm about to launch another tirade on the polytrack lovers.

boldruler
06-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Thats a damn shame about Nelly. Was that work on the grass where she broke down? Cause if it was I'm about to launch another tirade on the polytrack lovers.

She worked in company with Showing Up and came back injured. I heard she is fine though. She is worth quite a bit in the breeding game because she is one of the last crop from Seattle Slew.

oracle80
06-05-2006, 01:49 PM
She worked in company with Showing Up and came back injured. I heard she is fine though. She is worth quite a bit in the breeding game because she is one of the last crop from Seattle Slew.
I know who she is, its a shame. The last Seattle Slew filly ever just won her 2nd race in a row down at CD last week. david vance trains her.

jpops757
06-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Isnt Barbican another Darley colt that is lightly raced but undefeated? I think he had an injury todeter TC bid. Anyone know his status?

Suffolk Shippers
06-05-2006, 09:15 PM
I've enjoyed watching Bobby Hurley's Stream Cat run since I saw him up at Saratoga last summer. He is pretty much turf exclusive now at three, last won in a $150,000 stakes at Lone Star on Memorial Day...I believe finished 8th or 9th in last years BC Juvy.

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Isnt Barbican another Darley colt that is lightly raced but undefeated? I think he had an injury todeter TC bid. Anyone know his status?

Yes, he had an injury, and the DRF states that he has no recent workouts. Other than that, I don't know what is going on with him.

oracle80
06-06-2006, 06:56 AM
Yes, he had an injury, and the DRF states that he has no recent workouts. Other than that, I don't know what is going on with him.
Rose,
he was diagnosed with an ulcer in his throat if I recall correctly. It wasn't a leg injury.

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Rose,
he was diagnosed with an ulcer in his throat if I recall correctly. It wasn't a leg injury.

Really? I thought he had an injury? Oh well. I'm probably wrong. An ulcer in his throat? You know I have never heard of that before. I didn't even know that horses could have ulcers in their throat. You always see ulcers in their gastrointestinal tract. That sounds serious and icky. See, I learn something new from these message boards every day. Do you know what is going on with him now though?

boldruler
06-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I've enjoyed watching Bobby Hurley's Stream Cat run since I saw him up at Saratoga last summer. He is pretty much turf exclusive now at three, last won in a $150,000 stakes at Lone Star on Memorial Day...I believe finished 8th or 9th in last years BC Juvy.

Should be a great race in 3 weeks. Right now it looks like Stream Cat v Showing Up. Thought they would get more for a million dollar race but apparently not.

boldruler
06-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Really? I thought he had an injury? Oh well. I'm probably wrong. An ulcer in his throat? You know I have never heard of that before. I didn't even know that horses could have ulcers in their throat. You always see ulcers in their gastrointestinal tract. That sounds serious and icky. See, I learn something new from these message boards every day. Do you know what is going on with him now though?

He fractured his sesamoid. I heard they are planning a 4yr old campaign for him so I doubt they rush him back. Beautiful horse. I saw him when I was down at Palm Meadows and someone said "there is Barbaro". I went wow. Then my friend said "that is Barbican not Barbaro". Barbaro was more impressive looking, but not by much.

Danzig
06-06-2006, 05:23 PM

i haven't read thru the thread, so not sure anyone has already replied in a similar manner...

corinthian seemed to be on the improve. as for 'only' beating first sam, that one is a heck of a horse. as we all know, the bluegrass stakes is no indicator of a horses form. sinister minister didn't do anything to back up a huge win, bluegrass cat faded in that race, only to finish second in the ky derby. as for first sam, he was injured at the start of that race, his worst career finish. don't stick a fork in that one yet.