PDA

View Full Version : Azeri going to Japan

Merlinsky
11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/53382/azeri-sells-for-225-million-at-keeneland

All that screwing around selling her, her first colt, all that, and now she sold for much less and is being sent to Japan.

freddymo
11-10-2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/53382/azeri-sells-for-225-million-at-keeneland

All that screwing around selling her, her first colt, all that, and now she sold for much less and is being sent to Japan.

If she doesnt have any success as a broody there is always the possible in Japan that she becomes Kobe..LOL

10 pnt move up
11-10-2009, 03:00 PM
"Azeri, who is in foal to Distorted Humor , is a 14-year-old daughter of Jade Hunter out of the Australian stakes-winning mare Zodiac Miss (by Ahonoora). She produced a colt by A.P. Indy (named Take Control) in 2007, a filly by Giant's Causeway in 2008, and a filly by Ghostzapper earlier this year.

I think this is wrong, she was foaled in 1998 and is 11.

philcski
11-10-2009, 04:27 PM

Sikura expressed disappointment with Azeri’s price.

“The mare really is a national treasure; she accomplished some really, really unique things,” he said. “I would have liked to have thought that she would have made more in the auction ring, and I would like to have thought that one or more leading North American commercial breeders would have said, ‘We have to have this mare.’ Her sale price is a real reflection on the state of our market today. As horsemen we are usually eternal optimists. We think, ‘What if?’ We create a great scenario in our minds and that’s the way we move forward. Today, most people are saying, ‘What if it doesn’t work? What if her 2-year-old doesn’t run? She has a late (June) cover.’ People are tempering their enthusiasm and their valuations. In anybody’s mind, that mare has to look like an extremely good value. She’s as good as a mare can be, and her 2-year-old has trained very well. It (the price) looks like grand robbery.”

LOL. What an assclown he made of himself with this kind of commentary. What the f*ck does he expect? There isn't any money out there. I was out there today and the place was half empty and the prices were 30% of what they would have been a few years ago. Why should someone spend that much on an unproven broodmare in a market like this? Maybe he should have considered the future market when he RNA'd her for $4.4 million last January. Newsflash jerk- it isn't about "having to have her", it's about MAKING GOOD FINANCIAL DECISIONS and spending that much on a broodmare in this market wouldn't be one.

P.S. Azeri is easily in my top 10 of all time favorites and I want to barf every time they send horses like her to Japan.

freddymo
11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Sikura expressed disappointment with Azeri’s price.

“The mare really is a national treasure; she accomplished some really, really unique things,” he said. “I would have liked to have thought that she would have made more in the auction ring, and I would like to have thought that one or more leading North American commercial breeders would have said, ‘We have to have this mare.’ Her sale price is a real reflection on the state of our market today. As horsemen we are usually eternal optimists. We think, ‘What if?’ We create a great scenario in our minds and that’s the way we move forward. Today, most people are saying, ‘What if it doesn’t work? What if her 2-year-old doesn’t run? She has a late (June) cover.’ People are tempering their enthusiasm and their valuations. In anybody’s mind, that mare has to look like an extremely good value. She’s as good as a mare can be, and her 2-year-old has trained very well. It (the price) looks like grand robbery.”

LOL. What an assclown he made of himself with this kind of commentary. What the f*ck does he expect? There isn't any money out there. I was out there today and the place was half empty and the prices were 30% of what they would have been a few years ago. Why should someone spend that much on an unproven broodmare in a market like this? Maybe he should have considered the future market when he RNA'd her for $4.4 million last January. Newsflash jerk- it isn't about "having to have her", it's about MAKING GOOD FINANCIAL DECISIONS and spending that much on a broodmare in this market wouldn't be one.

P.S. Azeri is easily in my top 10 of all time favorites and I want to barf every time they send horses like her to Japan.
I thought I just heard Byk tell the world about how racing was still in good shape. I may have misunderstood him but it sounded like he was upbeat on the state of racing. Azeri is going 2.2 in foal to a World class stalllion, seems to me racing is hurting really bad??

10 pnt move up
11-10-2009, 05:15 PM
I thought I just heard Byk tell the world about how racing was still in good shape. I may have misunderstood him but it sounded like he was upbeat on the state of racing. Azeri is going 2.2 in foal to a World class stalllion, seems to me racing is hurting really bad??

I know its nice to be positive, but I think its better to be honest about what is going on. 5-7 years ago I thought things had pretty much bottomed out but I was wrong, its just gotten worse and worse.

Danzig
11-10-2009, 05:43 PM
altho azeri ran well, her being by jade hunter may have hurt her price a bit. other than her, he didn't sire much and left ky several years ago because of that.
with the market being down, and more mares being left open, and with so many culling, of course prices will be down.

Merlinsky
11-10-2009, 05:44 PM

Not sure how much of that had to do with the state of racing. Surely that's about the economy which affects a lot of things, not just our sport. It's got much greater impact than just on us and it's the state of racing, finance, medicine, everything. In the climate we're in, the state of racing is far from the basement. It's not like everybody said 'Azeri's in the ring, bah humbug.' They wanted her, people still know quality, they just held onto their money tighter than in the past. I'm not gonna say people are terrible for not paying more for her. I'm gonna say Paulson seemed to be playing games to me and I wish he hadn't because now she's gone. I don't care if it was for $2.2 or $10 million. One person caused drama,the market acted as well as could be expected. It wasn't an indication of problems in the sport that would happen in an otherwise good economy.

Isn't her youngest going through auction? Has it happened yet?

Coach Pants
11-10-2009, 05:48 PM
They put Laura de Seroux up for auction but she RNA'd.

philcski
11-10-2009, 05:58 PM
They put Laura de Seroux up for auction but she RNA'd.

no bids

Merlinsky
11-10-2009, 06:02 PM
no bids

I'd like to know who set the reserve and how much they figured was a good idea.

freddymo
11-10-2009, 06:16 PM
no bids
I think Azeri going for 2.2 tells more about the economy of breeding then the national economy. Maybe some good comes of breeders not being as powerful as they have been.although I doubt it.

Merlinsky
11-10-2009, 06:24 PM
I think Azeri going for 2.2 tells more about the economy of breeding then the national economy. Maybe some good comes of breeders not being as powerful as they have been.although I doubt it.

These people aren't solely breeders for a living though, and whatever family fortunes may be in on this, they still have investments and things that effect how much charitable giving they do, how much they consider to be disposable income, how much whatever they involve themselves in will grow for the year. They've been hit pretty hard. How much people invest to get into breeding from the beginning, maybe a hot stallion prospect or a foundation mare's gonna go down. I wonder how many in our sport got affected by Bernie Madoff come to think of it. He got a lot from a lot of people.

Fearless Leader
11-10-2009, 06:58 PM
If she is such a great value as a broodmare, why didn't Sikura/Hill n Dale buy her for themselves ?

Danzig
11-10-2009, 08:05 PM
If she is such a great value as a broodmare, why didn't Sikura/Hill n Dale buy her for themselves ?

a lot of breeders are standing pat with what they've got. azeri isn't the only one who went thru the ring. swift temper was bought back...

bohemia and overbrook still have dispersals upcoming. there's too much quality stock up for sale right now or coming up soon, so people can be a bit more selective.

Merlinsky
11-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Does any of this have to do with fiduciary duty to the trust she was owned by? I know the court's been dealing with who's running it and how. Did they not have the option of even considering taking less just to keep her in the U.S. say through a private sale?