PDA

View Full Version : BC can't answer handle figs honestly: "It's the field size, stupid"

Kasept
11-09-2009, 09:04 AM
2009 Cup attendance up at SA (thanks to smarter ticket pricing policy).. Handle was off a small amount, but BC can't be honest about it... "It's the economy" they said. No. It's not... It's the watering down of the event with superfluous races like the Marathon and Dirt Mile; the embarrassing field size of 8-9 in sacrosanct original Cup races the Distaff, Sprint, and Turf; and the lack commitment/interest from horseplayers that are put off by the synthetic surface.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/108818.html

Ontrack handle showed gains both days despite one fewer race carded per day compared to 2008. Saturday's ontrack handle reached $12,177,982, a gain of 3 percent.

The common-pool handle on Saturday reached $96,159,747, a loss of 6 percent from last year's corresponding day. Friday's common-pool handle of $48,439,458 was a decrease of 1 percent.

Officials blamed a slow economy for the drop in common-pool betting.

parsixfarms
11-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Given the economy and the supposedly large anti-synthetic crowd, aren't these numbers really strong? The folks at NYRA were doing cartwheels over a miniscule handle decline at Saratoga this summer, and largely attributed it to the economy. If they are allowed to peddle that line, why can't the Breeders' Cup heirarchy? (And I agree with you about the watered-down product, but isn't that also similar to the overnight program at Saratoga 2009.)

Kasept
11-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Given the economy and the supposedly large anti-synthetic crowd, aren't these numbers really strong?
That's what I thought too... You could tell on Friday it was going to be a successful weekend. Bigger crowd than expected with a BIG walk up for the $10 grandstand and $25 clubhouse.

philcski
11-09-2009, 09:42 AM
2009 Cup attendance up at SA (thanks to smarter ticket pricing policy).. Handle was off a small amount, but BC can't be honest about it... "It's the economy" they said. No. It's not... It's the watering down of the event with superfluous races like the Marathon and Dirt Mile; the embarrassing field size of 8-9 in sacrosanct original Cup races the Distaff, Sprint, and Turf; and the lack commitment/interest from horseplayers that are put off by the synthetic surface.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/108818.html

Ontrack handle showed gains both days despite one fewer race carded per day compared to 2008. Saturday's ontrack handle reached $12,177,982, a gain of 3 percent.

The common-pool handle on Saturday reached $96,159,747, a loss of 6 percent from last year's corresponding day. Friday's common-pool handle of $48,439,458 was a decrease of 1 percent.

Officials blamed a slow economy for the drop in common-pool betting.

This #1
The commitment to large wagers just isn't there on the synthetics for 90% of players.

Would like to see handle per race to see how correlated field size was. The Turf probably had the weakest year over year handle, but I wouldn't necessarily blame the small field on it but rather the fact that it just wasn't a compelling betting race. A heavy favorite and 4 no-chancers, but quite honestly that's not surprising given the shape of the American turf division this year.

Also need to factor in probably $1,000,000 in wagers were refunded when Quality Road scratched at the gate.

10 pnt move up
11-09-2009, 09:50 AM
1. The people that run racing are for the most part....not very smart.

2. The people that run the Breeders Cup make the people in #1 look like brain surgeons in comparison.

The BC used to be 7 races for a lot of money, it was special to win one of these races, there are 14 now. Seriously, to me its the original 7, maye the FM Turf as well, but the rest dont carry BC weight with me, they are the under card races.

The FM Sprint for example, all it has done is watered down the sprint, the two or three best fillies would compete with the Sprint...and they won!

The Dirt Mile has taken away horses from the classic (this year maybe the exception).

The Turf juveniles, all it did was water down the regular juvenile races.

Just moronic decisions, and that has nothing to do with location. I am sure when its 40 degrees and raining next year your going to hear the same stuff. And heaven forbid if anyone gets hurt (the past 2 years no one has).

VOL JACK
11-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Speaking of stupid, Greg Ravioli said on the Jim Rome show Friday that 'RA had no excuse for not running in the B Cup because she ran one of her best races on poly at KEE.' I almost wrecked my truck.:D :zz:

Danzig
11-09-2009, 10:01 AM
i thought that perhaps a two day even would work-but with the time of year the event is held, sat/sunday is impossible. fri/sat is watering it down, especially with moving the distaff to friday.
go back to one day. quit trying to please everyone with so many different races. they should have:

the 2 juvie races.
sprint
f+ m sprint
turf mile
turf classic
classic
distaff

pump up the classic and distaff purses, cut the juvie purses to 500k. the distaff generally is one of the smaller fields, increasing that purse would draw more horses from overseas.

Buckpasser
11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Nonsense, the BC was way watered down with some really dumb races. Also if your budget is "x" and you have been betting on one day in the past at BC, how can you sustain two days! Answer: "Less betting"

NTamm1215
11-09-2009, 10:22 AM
The Marathon should be toast in my opinion. Especially considering there will be little to no involvement from the Euros next year when it's run on dirt.

As far as the Juvenile Turf races, I'm inclined to give them a chance next year because dirt horses will run in dirt races and turf horses will run in turf races.

The changes that were made two years ago and last year were ill-timed. The dirt mile doesn't really work unless you're running at a track that has a one-turn mile. Should it get a chance next year? I'd say yes, but I say that remembering the whole time that it is going to cannibalize the Classic in some way.

The Filly and Mare Sprint is probably here to stay considering it's now a Grade I, it has drawn pretty solid fields in three runnings and next year it's being run at an eastern venue.

I get the feeling that you have to give some of the new races one go at CD to see about future proclamations. If I had to vote right now I'd pitch the Marathon and JF Turf if you need $1.5 mil to save. However, I think getting the BC off of the two-day format is a near impossibility.

NT

Kasept
11-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I get the feeling that you have to give some of the new races one go at CD to see about future proclamations. If I had to vote right now I'd pitch the Marathon and JF Turf if you need $1.5 mil to save. However, I think getting the BC off of the two-day format is a near impossibility.

NT
Merge the Juvenile Turf races into one unisex edition. This race has created some real interest and development of a series of stakes around the venues. It's a good target and helps promote domestic 'turfy' stallions. It's a plus for the Euros too, and we've shown our 2yo turf runners can compete with theirs...

Obviously the Marathon is meaningless, and to me, the F&M Sprint is ridiculous. Many of the best Sprints came with fillies and mares. The Turf Sprint should be thought through. The Dirt Mile will finally get on dirt and run at a mile, so I guess it should be given a test... But, I'd run this 10 race Breeders' Cup card. 5 on the main and 5 on the lawn:

1. Turf Sprint (P4)
2. Juvenile Fillies
3. Juvenile Turf
4. Juvenile (P4)
5. F&M Turf (P6)
6. Sprint (P5)
7. Mile (P4)
8. Distaff
9. Turf
10. Classic

philcski
11-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Merge the Juvenile Turf races into one unisex edition. This race has created some real interest and development of a series of stakes around the venues. It's a good target and helps promote domestic 'turfy' stallions. It's a plus for the Euros too, and we've shown our 2yo turf runners can compete with theirs...

Obviously the Marathon is meaningless, and to me, the F&M Sprint is ridiculous. Many of the best Sprints came with fillies and mares. The Turf Sprint should be thought through. The Dirt Mile will finally get on dirt and run at a mile, so I guess it should be given a test... But, I'd run this 10 race Breeders' Cup card. 5 on the main and 5 on the lawn:

1. Turf Sprint (P4)
2. Juvenile Fillies
3. Juvenile Turf
4. Juvenile (P4)
5. F&M Turf (P6)
6. Sprint (P5)
7. Mile (P4)
8. Distaff
9. Turf
10. Classic

The F&M Sprint and Dirt Mile getting G1's means it'll be tough to pitch them IMO.

Merge the two Juvy Turf races as you suggested, dump the Marathon. I hate turf sprints but there's so many of them now it really is a 'circuit' so keep that. Leaves 12 races, 4 Friday and 8 Saturday.

Friday (hell, run it under the lights at CD):
Juvenile Turf
Turf Sprint
F&M Sprint
Dirt Mile

Saturday:
Juvenile Fillies
F&M Turf
Juvenile
Mile
Sprint
Distaff
Turf
Classic

jms62
11-09-2009, 12:25 PM

1. Turf Sprint (P4)
2. Juvenile Fillies
3. Juvenile Turf
4. Juvenile (P4)
5. F&M Turf (P6)
6. Sprint (P5)
7. Mile (P4)
8. Distaff
9. Turf
10. Classic

I don't like having a P4 start and end in the same race. If your opinion is wrong you get crushed

Travis Stone
11-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Honestly, I'm torn on this whole two-day front. Here are a few random thoughts...

Two days makes it an event - a weekend - a reason for people to fly in one day early to be a part of it. For those who have attended, two days is oddly a bit more relaxing because on Friday you seem to say, "Well, there's always tomorrow."

Also, the revenue generated on two days will never be achieved with just one day. Even if you shift races, horseplayers still come to the event/weekend with a finite amount of money to spend. If you eliminate BC races, the simulcast market is still going to spend whatever money they brought for the smaller BC Friday card but not spend it necessarily on the host track, but the entire market as a whole. That is a bad go for the BC because of their pricing in the simulcast market and what they can demand.

Races like the dirt mile are a little goofy but it's a catch-all and thus far it has not ruined the Classic. Plus, it's definitely more "betable" than the Marathon and it's easier to form an opinion on than the Turf Sprint. So it's kind of needed to help keep things together and give the card some wagering structure.

I think we all have a mental block over the "championship" title for these races. Truthfully, it's just window dressing. Calling the Marathon or JFT a championship is silly, and I'm sure most would agree, but to make the event make sense for fringe fans and general society you need something they can relate to. It's one of those things us horseplayers need to probably say, "Well, it's not, but who cares and oh well."

The primary problem I think the BC needs to quickly address is field size. Simply put, field size drives handle. Seven horses in the Turf? That's horrendous. F&M Turf, too. Those two fields cannot be blamed on a watered-down BC product at all. The Sprint? Yeah, you could make a case... but for the amount of Sprint racing we have in America, filling that gate seems like it would be easy, no? The BC is putting-up way too much money for the sized fields they're getting of late.

So that leads you to questions like is racing watering its product down too much leading into the event? Are there too many preps which "over-filter" the fields? But that's a different thread.

Travis Stone
11-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I'll also add that its tough to honestly measure the success of these two days because of the back-to-back synthetic issue. Quantifying that is probably impossible. If it were SA/CD or SA/BEL we could probably assess the pros/cons more accurately. Toss the economy on there and its a rough go.

Sightseek
11-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Really good points Travis.

I'm liking the two day format personally and I absolutely love having the two juvenile turf races.

cmorioles
11-09-2009, 05:06 PM
It is also the surface. The Classic being on rubber decimated the Turf field, supposedly the second biggest race on the card. It made the lines between turf and dirt races obscured and a lot of connections looked for the easier spot.

ateamstupid
11-09-2009, 05:13 PM
It is also the surface. The Classic being on rubber decimated the Turf field, supposedly the second biggest race on the card. It made the lines between turf and dirt races obscured and a lot of connections looked for the easier spot.

Agreed. After Conduit, that was the weakest BCT field I've ever seen. Hopefully next year brings the return of the Turf being representative of its purse and card location.

Also, why the heck was the synthetic mile allowed to be called the dirt mile? That's like playing MNF games on Wednesdays and still calling it Monday Night Football.

deltagulf
11-09-2009, 05:36 PM
agreed give it a year on dirt and see how it compare to s/a this year. to see if the two day event will work.

Round Pen
11-09-2009, 06:04 PM
From an Owners standpoint I absolutely love the to day event. For a lot of small owners this game is built on Dreams. And the more chances to run for the Big money on one of the biggest stages of the year the better.

freddymo
11-09-2009, 06:10 PM

1. Turf Sprint (P4)
2. Juvenile Fillies
3. Juvenile Turf
4. Juvenile (P4)
5. F&M Turf (P6)
6. Sprint (P5)
7. Mile (P4)
8. Distaff
9. Turf
10. Classic

Turfy Stallions...Did Ramsey buy one of these? Turfy stallions are excellent for foal share programs not making money... Steve Turfy stallions? WTF if El Prado didnt toss MDoro id would be 20k book opend and willing

gales0678
11-09-2009, 06:17 PM
freddy - yonkers was packed on sat , breeders cup day and then they had a big harness race at night.....slots were packed , live entertainment , the rooney family is rollin in the dough over at YR thx to SLOTS!

eajinabi
11-09-2009, 06:28 PM
ESPN should stop showing the multi-angle camera display. It drives me insane.
Those type of cameras should be used for stewards when determining inquiries.

eajinabi
11-09-2009, 06:32 PM
freddy - yonkers was packed on sat , breeders cup day and then they had a big harness race at night.....slots were packed , live entertainment , the rooney family is rollin in the dough over at YR thx to SLOTS!

I was at retama park on friday night and the place was packed also. I was kinda surprised becuase the Breeders Cup Day 1 was well over and there were no stakes races carded that night.

The surprising thing was, it wasnt your usual degenarates but people bringing thier families and lots of kids.

philcski
11-09-2009, 10:37 PM
New article from Hegarty: http://www.drf.com/news/article/108837.html

Kasept
11-10-2009, 05:01 AM
From Hegarty's piece:

Kirchner also said Breeders' Cup lost a sizeable portion of the $2.2 million in bets that were refunded on Quality Road after the colt was scratched at the gate in the Classic.

So... Let's review. In the past two Cups, Todd Pletcher has had an inexcusably sloppy medication DQ of Wait a While and a gate SCR of a notoriously edgy horse he failed to school while at Santa Anita... Plus, despite mandatory instruction that all BC horses were to wear name-specific saddlecloths while on track at SA, the Pletcher horses came out daily only with their T.A.P. saddle pads making it impossible for the general public to identify his string unless they were familiar with their markings... Then of course there's his warm, winning personality when dealing with the public, media and track personnel...

He's a real asset to the game.

randallscott35
11-10-2009, 06:51 AM
From Hegarty's piece:

Kirchner also said Breeders' Cup lost a sizeable portion of the $2.2 million in bets that were refunded on Quality Road after the colt was scratched at the gate in the Classic.

So... Let's review. In the past two Cups, Todd Pletcher has had an inexcusably sloppy medication DQ of Wait a While and a gate SCR of a notoriously edgy horse he failed to school while at Santa Anita... Plus, despite mandatory instruction that all BC horses were to wear name-specific saddlecloths while on track at SA, the Pletcher horses came out daily only with their T.A.P. saddle pads making it impossible for the general public to identify his string unless they were familiar with their markings... Then of course there's his warm, winning personality when dealing with the public, media and track personnel...

Yep. He thinks he's Belichick.

johnny pinwheel
11-10-2009, 07:13 AM
1. The people that run racing are for the most part....not very smart.

2. The people that run the Breeders Cup make the people in #1 look like brain surgeons in comparison.

The BC used to be 7 races for a lot of money, it was special to win one of these races, there are 14 now. Seriously, to me its the original 7, maye the FM Turf as well, but the rest dont carry BC weight with me, they are the under card races.

The FM Sprint for example, all it has done is watered down the sprint, the two or three best fillies would compete with the Sprint...and they won!

The Dirt Mile has taken away horses from the classic (this year maybe the exception).

The Turf juveniles, all it did was water down the regular juvenile races.

Just moronic decisions, and that has nothing to do with location. I am sure when its 40 degrees and raining next year your going to hear the same stuff. And heaven forbid if anyone gets hurt (the past 2 years no one has).
good ideas, i agree with everything but the dirt mile. the dirt mile is a pretty good event. the rain did not bother me at monmouth, at least the races were formful and dirt horses could win. it was one of my best "cup" weekends. and i bet way more than the last two. rain is part of the deal in racing. this effort to make it all synthetic is a big mistake, horses run in mud they run on grass they run on dirt. its been that way since they were a breed on earth. whats next, running indoors on pillow feathers?

randallscott35
11-10-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm guessing they'll be adding a Breeders Cup race for Mules soon, as well as one for Quarter horses.

2Hot4TV
11-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Speaking of stupid, Greg Ravioli said on the Jim Rome show Friday that 'RA had no excuse for not running in the B Cup because she ran one of her best races on poly at KEE.' I almost wrecked my truck.:D :zz:
she had a good excuse, not wanting to be beaten by Zenyatta.

Sightseek
11-10-2009, 08:19 AM
From Hegarty's piece:

Sorry Steve, you're being a bit unfair here....

Pletcher said that he schooled Quality Road in the gate several times, hoping that something like this would happen during those sessions so they could address the problem, but he schooled fine. You can prepare all you want, but a number of things can upset a horse...

randallscott35
11-10-2009, 08:25 AM
I think Steve was commenting more on Pletcher's above it all attitutde.

parsixfarms
11-10-2009, 08:57 AM

Pletcher said that he schooled Quality Road in the gate several times, hoping that something like this would happen during those sessions so they could address the problem, but he schooled fine. You can prepare all you want, but a number of things can upset a horse...

I thought that Pletcher said the horse was schooled several times at Belmont, so I think Steve's statement is correct.

Sightseek
11-10-2009, 09:03 AM
I thought that Pletcher said the horse was schooled several times at Belmont, so I think Steve's statement is correct.

Yes, but he also made it sound like he didn't do anything with the horse, which I thought was unfair. Whether you like Pletcher's personality or not he's a hard working and organized guy and I have a feeling it didn't matter where Quality Road was schooled because he got it in his head that day that he wasn't happy.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/108840.html
Quality Road never had the chance to prove his ability over Santa Anita's Pro-Ride surface. He freaked out at the gate and had to be scratched after he suffered a cut on the gaskin, the region between the stifle and the hock, in a rear leg that required stitches. Pletcher said Quality Road had three problem-free schooling sessions at Belmont Park before he left.

"We tried to challenge him a bit, put him with other horses, back him out, put him in [with] rider on, rider off, try to get him to misbehave so maybe we could figure out if he were to misbehave what we could do different," Pletcher said. "Basically, in three sessions here he never so much as hesitated."

Antitrust32
11-10-2009, 09:29 AM
^ agreed. Its silly to think Todd Pletcher wouldnt have his horse completely prepared for the Breeders Cup Classic. It may be easy to root against his horses and he may not be a Dutrow personality type guy, but its obvious he works as hard as anyone in the business.

$hit happens and t-breds are crazy animals.

Coach Pants
11-10-2009, 09:55 AM

Like the fact he had to switch barns and his new trainer is a corpse?

Kasept
11-10-2009, 10:43 AM

He didn't school at Santa Anita with the gate crew that was going to be handling him for the first time. Schooling him at Belmont three times is meaningless. It's new situations that 'challenge' a problem horse. But Todd knows best... After all, he's intimately familiar with all 386 horses under his supervision.

randallscott35
11-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Who is a bigger asset to the game....Pletcher or Wolfson ? You seem to want to defend a guy who has over and over again been caught cheating and bad for the game, but then trash Pletcher?

Very odd Steve.
Give me a break. Pletcher has been suspended as well.

reese
11-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Who is a bigger asset to the game....Pletcher or Wolfson ? You seem to want to defend a guy who has over and over again been caught cheating and bad for the game, but then trash Pletcher?

Very odd Steve.

Not as "odd" as declaring Barry Abrams a "genius"

TouchOfGrey
11-10-2009, 01:58 PM
How can you place all of the blame on Pletcher for the gate scratch ? Don't you think the huge crowd had something to do with it ? The horse wigged out. It happens ALL the time in racing. Relax. If anyone should get blamed for the gate scratch it's probably the gate crew. But again....things like this happen.

A horse's behavior is a reflection of it's training, and Quality Road needs a lot more schooling at the gate before his next start. This is not the first time he's acted up, and the gate crew shouldn't have to risk their lives more than they already do because the horse isn't prepared properly.

It was a seriously lucky thing no one was hurt.

JerseyJ
11-10-2009, 03:37 PM
A horse's behavior is a reflection of it's training, and Quality Road needs a lot more schooling at the gate before his next start. This is not the first time he's acted up, and the gate crew shouldn't have to risk their lives more than they already do because the horse isn't prepared properly.

It was a seriously lucky thing no one was hurt.

I didn't realize that these animals always do as they are told and instructed to...I didn't realize they are machines. You could do all the training and schooling in the world, and sometimes the horse doesn't listen or want to do what you are looking for it to do. I think it's absolutely foolish to pin the blame on Pletcher for the horse acting up behind the gate. Last I looked Quality Road wasn't disguised as Pletcher. And if a horse's behavior is a reflection of it's training, I'll throw this out there, an NFL team is preparing to go play in lets say Indianapolis, and all week they practice with a ton of crowd noise, and they work on making sure the offensive line is on the same page with regard to false starts, and then come Sunday, they have 6 false starts in Indianapolis, even though they dedicated extra time towards working with snap counts and to avoid false starts, is that a reflection of their training or is that something out of the coaches hands, very much like Quality Road's gate actions were out of Pletcher's hands.

GBBob
11-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I didn't realize that these animals always do as they are told and instructed to...I didn't realize they are machines. You could do all the training and schooling in the world, and sometimes the horse doesn't listen or want to do what you are looking for it to do. I think it's absolutely foolish to pin the blame on Pletcher for the horse acting up behind the gate. Last I looked Quality Road wasn't disguised as Pletcher. And if a horse's behavior is a reflection of it's training, I'll throw this out there, an NFL team is preparing to go play in lets say Indianapolis, and all week they practice with a ton of crowd noise, and they work on making sure the offensive line is on the same page with regard to false starts, and then come Sunday, they have 6 false starts in Indianapolis, even though they dedicated extra time towards working with snap counts and to avoid false starts, is that a reflection of their training or is that something out of the coaches hands, very much like Quality Road's gate actions were out of Pletcher's hands.

But Pletcher didn't practice once in the SA gate.

TouchOfGrey
11-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I didn't realize that these animals always do as they are told and instructed to...I didn't realize they are machines. You could do all the training and schooling in the world, and sometimes the horse doesn't listen or want to do what you are looking for it to do.

I'm well aware that horses are not machines and don't always behave the way they're expected to. However, QR has a history of acting up at the gate. This is not the first time he's given the starters a problem. Obviously something needs to be worked on.

This too.

parsixfarms
11-10-2009, 04:26 PM
However, QR has a history of acting up at the gate. This is not the first time he's given the starters a problem. Obviously something needs to be worked on.

Did he act this way when Jerkens had him? If this is only a recent thing, maybe he's trying to tell his connections something (like his feet are still hurting him).

JerseyJ
11-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Most teams don't get to practice with amped up crowd noise at the venue. Most teams do their work at their practice facilities.

Kasept
11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I just heard that he also refused to get on the plane yesterday. Is going to have to be vanned back to New York!

freddymo
11-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I just heard that he also refused to get on the plane yesterday. Is going to have to be vanned back to New York!
What happened did Pletcher not send you a Christmas Card or something. The friggin horse freaked out. He is the same Plethcher trained horse to run a huge 6.5f race at Spa and then ran a OK Travers and JCGC right?

parsixfarms
11-10-2009, 05:13 PM

If that's the case, then perhaps Wolfson would be the perfect trainer for Quality Road. He could work on his shoes while he's at it.

freddymo
11-10-2009, 05:15 PM
If that's the case, then perhaps Wolfson would be the perfect trainer for Quality Road. He could work on his shoes while he's at it.
Mr Wolfson is an amazing trainer especially in Florida something about the good weather that make his horses really run in the sunshine

Kasept
11-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Chip Woolley will drive him.
:tro: :tro: :tro: :tro:

Danzig
11-10-2009, 05:50 PM

the only time mine that bird seems to move quickly anymore, when he's trailering...

Coach Pants
11-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Chip Wooley looked like death warmed over in the paddock interview.

freddymo
11-10-2009, 05:53 PM
the only time mine that bird seems to move quickly anymore, when he's trailering...
this is funny also

parsixfarms
11-10-2009, 05:58 PM

Just make sure that Kenny Rice doesn't interview him about how the trip went after he arrives in NY.

freddymo
11-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Chip Wooley looked like death warmed over in the paddock interview.
Perhaps Mine that bird could use 5 months off to be a horse again? Let him all the down and bring him back for the summer and fall next year. He looks like he could use a few months of R and R

Danzig
11-10-2009, 06:43 PM
maybe mine that bird needs to run exclusively at churchill and pimlico.

Coach Pants
11-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Perhaps Mine that bird could use 5 months off to be a horse again? Let him all the down and bring him back for the summer and fall next year. He looks like he could use a few months of R and RHe could sprout wings and it wouldn't help. Makes me sick that big of a plug won the Derby.

Sightseek
11-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Whether or not it was anyone's fault, it sucks that he's such a talented horse and now they have a lot to deal with.

Article on him refusing to board the plane:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/53390/traumatized-quality-road-will-van-home