PDA

View Full Version : Wow...Amazing Sports Experience

Scav
11-08-2009, 12:40 AM
I have been to a ton of sporting events in my life. I was at Wrigley when Sosa hit that game tying 2 run homer in the bottom of the ninth in the playoffs years back and thought I would never feel a better sports experience but TODAY, and more specifically the BC Classic might be one of the most amazing sporting experiences that I will ever have. I have never felt a place shake like Santa Anita did, and see so many happy people in one place.

I probably had the worst two days of my wagering life these last two, but what Zenyatta did today was worth every penny. Absolutely amazing.

TitanSooner
11-08-2009, 01:14 AM
I have been to a ton of sporting events in my life. I was at Wrigley when Sosa hit that game tying 2 run homer in the bottom of the ninth in the playoffs years back and thought I would never feel a better sports experience but TODAY, and more specifically the BC Classic might be one of the most amazing sporting experiences that I will ever have. I have never felt a place shake like Santa Anita did, and see so many happy people in one place.

I probably had the worst two days of my wagering life these last two, but what Zenyatta did today was worth every penny. Absolutely amazing.
I refused to use Z on any of my tickets, my buddy was alive to 5 other horses in the pick 4, but it didn't matter.. You hit it right on the head. I got caught up in the moment and couldn't help but enjoy what I just watched. I can't believe how loud it got... Lots of fun. Have a safe trip home.

eajinabi
11-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Well put!

Just watching Zenyatta on TV and hearing that crowd gave me chills down my spine. I could only imagine how I would have felt if I was right there.

Amazing race call by Trevor Denman! Amazing Ride by Mike Smith! Most Amazing stretch run by Zenyatta!

Bigsmc
11-08-2009, 06:18 AM

Everybody here at Derby Trail are already fans and know what we witnessed.

The sad part is, that the mainstream media still could give a rat's arse. Zenyatta made her first appearance in my local rag on page 7 of the Sports section. The 0-7 Bucs dominated the front page.

Also, the local Fox station sports chick just had highlights of Gators, FSU, Canes, UCF, TB Lightning and Buccaneers. No mention of the BC.

MaTH716
11-08-2009, 06:42 AM

It's amazing what a performance like that could do. I was at the Haskell when a monsoon rolled in causing all kinds of scratches resulting in a couple 3 horse fields. I considered leaving it was so bad. Then I had the privilage to witness Rachael run and that alone turned it into one of the best days I have ever had at the track. Looking foward to the timeline, safe travels to everyone there.

Everybody here at Derby Trail are already fans and know what we witnessed.

The sad part is, that the mainstream media still could give a rat's arse. Zenyatta made her first appearance in my local rag on page 7 of the Sports section. The 0-7 Bucs dominated the front page.

Also, the local Fox station sports chick just had highlights of Gators, FSU, Canes, UCF, TB Lightning and Buccaneers. No mention of the BC.
It's really sad the lack of exposure that the (especially when great stuff happens) sport gets. But with that being said, unless you are a fan of the sport you really don't understand how great/exciting a performance like that was yesterday. It's unfortunate that most of mainstream America doesn't care and the mainstream media decides to punish those whose do.

GenuineRisk
11-08-2009, 07:00 AM
For what it's worth, it's one of the three sports headlines on the NYTimes' front webpage. Here's the link to the story- they had it up by 11PM last night:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/sports/08racing.html?_r=1&hpw

(Apologies if the link's been posted already)

LARHAGE
11-08-2009, 08:08 AM
I attended the race with my Mother and my young niece and it was one of the most awesome experiences I have had. Zenyatta was so full of it in the saddlng paddock that she was tossing her groom around like a ragdoll, I can't recall her being that bad that way, everyone was snapping pictures and waving Zenyatta posters they gave out, including my niece, and I was worrying if this was getting her too riled up, but once she got on the track her prance was once again on display and she appeared herself, as they turned for home we couldn't really see as much as feel from the crowd that she was making her move, the sound and vibration in the grandstand was unbelievable as she crossed the wire, it was like a Hollywood script. Zenyatta was still being wildly cheered as she was walking back through the paddock, she was as full of it going back as she was going in and I will never forget how she proudly pranced by looking at all the people, I realized Zenyatta made all those useless sheets and figures useless as they did nothing but make a beautiful flesh and blood animal with a ton of heart a mere mediocre number running around an oval, she is one of the all time greats and absolutely worthy of her adulation and Horse of The Year, she made my day as well as my Mother and my excited niece clutching her Zenyatta poster ecstatic , and epitomized why I have loved horse racing for so many years!!!

Stickhorse
11-08-2009, 08:57 AM
I feel lucky to have witnessed the Classic at Santa Anita yesterday. I usually go to the track 4-5 a year and have seen Zenyatta run four times. Last month I teared up a bit seeing Zenyatta win #13. I was thinking that that would be last time I would get to see her run. Then I was blessed with some nice Breeder's Cup comps.

Back to 1977 when J O Tobin won over the then undefeated Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew in the Swaps was the last time I have heard such a worked up crowd at the track. Quality Road's gate antics had the crowd even more on edge and me very apprehensive about Zenyatta's chances with less pace and her displeasure about being put in the starting gate again.

Horse of the Year?

In my book: Zenyatta......... but at least I will admit a bias. The East Coast media will stay with Rachel and make noises of their impartial decision.

They can't take Zenyatta's historic victory and undefeated record away from her. She has had some career!

onebadbeast
11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I TOTALLY AGREE. THIS RANKS UP THERE WITH MY ATTENDING THE ALI NORTON FIGHT IN SAN DIEGO AS ONE OF THE MOST ELECRIFYING EVENTS I HAVE ATTENDED. AND THANKS TO ALL WHO MET ME THERE FOR THEIR HOSPITALITY.:tro:

Diver67
11-08-2009, 01:09 PM
What a day, what a privilege. . .we had seats in Section T but decided to go down on the apron for the Classic. Of course we had to see most of the race on the Jumbotron but we did get to see her sweep by us. . just crazy.

After the race the gift shops were jammed--I think everyone wanted a souvenir, but I bet they'd have been deserted if Zenyatta had been badly beaten.

I got the "Jimmy V" program T. :)

richard
11-08-2009, 02:01 PM
"I have never felt a place shake like Santa Anita did"

San Andreas fault .

Unstable
11-08-2009, 02:06 PM
What a day, what a privilege. . .we had seats in Section T but decided to go down on the apron for the Classic. Of course we had to see most of the race on the Jumbotron but we did get to see her sweep by us. . just crazy.

After the race the gift shops were jammed--I think everyone wanted a souvenir, but I bet they'd have been deserted if Zenyatta had been badly beaten.

I got the "Jimmy V" program T. :)
I think you should have stayed in your seats. Of course, you still would have had to stand through the entire race.

Don't know if you saw this, but Mike Smith took his time guiding Zenyatta to the gate. Pre-victory parade? He stopped in mid-stretch, as if telling Zenyatta, "This is where we're going to make our move." Zenyatta pawed the ground, as if marking the spot.

I don't know what your experience was with the crowd's roar, but I have to believe that it was multiplied by the grandstand's roof. I could see the whole race, even with my dinky little binoculars (and, of course, the problems at the gate with Quality Road).

I didn't bet her, except in back-up bets. I didn't make a cent on her race. But I wouldn't exchange my experience for anything. She had every excuse to not win that race. Even I was applauding her victory and gallop back. If I was at home, I think I probably would have just been angry because I didn't win my bets.

Unstable
11-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I TOTALLY AGREE. THIS RANKS UP THERE WITH MY ATTENDING THE ALI NORTON FIGHT IN SAN DIEGO AS ONE OF THE MOST ELECRIFYING EVENTS I HAVE ATTENDED. AND THANKS TO ALL WHO MET ME THERE FOR THEIR HOSPITALITY.:tro:
The fact that you hit the tri had no bearing on your enthusiasm? :rolleyes:

Diver67
11-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I think you should have stayed in your seats. .

I kind of agree with you, but usually I'm dragging my friend around so I thought I'd let her choose. . .we would have had a good view of her starting to make her move inside. . .oh well. Its kind of funny because I thought I'd have to figure out who won by whether the crowd screamed or groaned, or maybe fix my binoculars on Mike hoping for a fist-pump. . .but getting to see her sweep by was worth somethiing. And our seats were in the first row overlooking the walkway, so it was probably safer for me to jump up and down on the apron rather than risk falling over the rail. . .:)

Coach Pants
11-09-2009, 12:26 PM
It reminded me of the Baltimore Stars beating the Oakland Invaders for the USFL championship. Sure it's nice when you're in the moment but in a year the majority of people won't give a s.hit.

citycat
11-09-2009, 12:34 PM
At least ESPN had it as the number 1 play of the weekend. It was truly a special moment, like others have said the roar of the crowd when she turns for home was spine-chilling

Diver67
11-09-2009, 01:47 PM
It reminded me of the Baltimore Stars beating the Oakland Invaders for the USFL championship. Sure it's nice when you're in the moment but in a year the majority of people won't give a s.hit.
Speak for yourself. For Trevor and me, its something "we'll never forget."

ghartman02
11-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I was at Churchill, and I guess there were several hundred sitting in the stands in the darkness watching the Classic: and it was electric! I can't imagine what it was like at Santa Anita, and those moments are great. Plus the fact that Zenyatta's has that powerful move, it made that all the more teriffic. I was a doubting Thomas, I didn't think she'd beat the boys but in the year where the girls ruled, she trounced!

Coach Pants
11-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Speak for yourself. For Trevor and me, its something "we'll never forget."I pretty much speak for the majority of Americans and the statistics back it up. Add to the fact that the Breeders Cup has been ruined with the addition of umpteen races and a bunk third surface and you have a forgettable event.