PDA

View Full Version : BC Individual race thoughts (Day 1)

The Indomitable DrugS
11-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Marathon: I think Nite Light is the best hope of the Americans. Of the 4 Euro's ... I know why Muhannak is here this time - because he won last year. So, I don't want him. I know why Man Of Iron is here ... breeding. I don't want him. That leaves Father Time and Mastery ... and I will most favor the bigger price of the two.

Juv Fillies Turf: Need to do a lot more work on that. Would need to see post positions and who goes where to have a better idea.

Filly and Mare Sprint: I have no interest in trying to beat Ventura.

Juv Fillies: in her debut, Connie and Michael ran the outright fastest Beyer ever recorded by a 2yo filly on any synthetic race track.

Her 95 is a mere 12 points faster than Baroness Thatcher for fastest at 7fs by a 2yo filly in the history of KEE synthetic. Rachel Alexandra ran the 2nd fastest 6f Kee Beyer ever recorded by a 2yo filly when she ran an eye-popping 82 there. Not even close to C&M and that wasn't her debut either.

From a speed figure standpoint, C&M's debut is in select company. Discreet Cat, Big Brown, Quality Road, Plagiarist, and arguably Ghostzapper are the only five 2yo's from this decade who's debuts compare with hers.

Since 2003, trainer Ken McPeek is just 24-for-241 ($1.44 ROI) with debuters in sprint races. Over that same time, he's an amazing 34-for-140 ($2.66 ROI) with 2nd time starters in a route.

You're getting real talent with C&M ... and the naked stats say she should improve bigtime off that debut. However, a cross country ship on short rest and a stretchout are both extremely disconcerting.

I have a hard time splitting the rest of the field ... as most of them look solid but not spectacular .. compared with C&M who looks spectacular but not solid. This is the kind of race that draws out a bettors creativity.

Filly and Mare Turf: Forever Together is the best American hope ... but Dar Re Mi is all me.

Distaff: Life Is Sweet has been the victim of slow paces in ugly recent performances. She was also a distant 3rd against the grain in the Hollywood Gold Cup in a race where the top two horses dominated from the front end.

She won her first three attempts over Santa Anita's pro-ride nicely when things weren't stacked against her.

Sightseek
11-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I have a hard time splitting the rest of the field ... as most of them look solid but not spectacular .. compared with C&M who looks spectacular but not solid. This is the kind of race that draws out a bettors creativity.

Filly and Mare Turf: Forever Together is the best American hope ... but Dar Re Mi is all me.

Neatly put.

I thought Dar Re Mi had first choice Turf on Saturday? What an absolute robbery in DQing her in the Prix Vermeille.

hockey2315
11-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Marathon: I think Nite Light is the best hope of the Americans. Of the 4 Euro's ... I know why Muhannak is here this time - because he won last year. So, I don't want him. I know why Man Of Iron is here ... breeding. I don't want him. That leaves Father Time and Mastery ... and I will most favor the bigger price of the two.

Father Time is VERY interesting in the marathon. I thought he had a slightly rougher trip than Mastery in the St. Leger and he already has a win on synth, whereas Mastery finished fourth behind Mafaaz in his only start on poly (granted, that was a while ago and prior to the trainer change).

I'm probably the only person on earth who thinks Muhannak has a chance.

You can toss the Dubai races, then the first start back from the lay-off, then the Kempton debacle, and then the race that was too short for him. His last was very much an improved effort and maybe he's ready to fire again. He still might not be good enough to beat a few others in here, but I'm using him at a pretty big price.

I'll take Cloudy's Knight over Nite Light as far as the Americans go.

NTamm1215
11-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Father Time is VERY interesting in the marathon. I thought he had a slightly rougher trip than Mastery in the St. Leger and he already has a win on synth, whereas Mastery finished fourth behind Mafaaz in his only start on poly (granted, that was a while ago and prior to the trainer change).

You can toss the Dubai races, then the first start back from the lay-off, then the Kempton debacle, and then the race that was too short for him. His last was very much an improved effort and maybe he's ready to fire again. He still might not be good enough to beat a few others in here, but I'm using him at a pretty big price.

I'll take Cloudy's Knight over Nite Light as far as the Americans go.

I completely agree about Father Time. He got a pretty s.hitty ride from Spencer (shocking) in the St. Leger and I thought he ran much better than Mastery in the Great Voltigeur, which ended up being a merry go round. His win on synthetics is the icing on the cake for me.

Muhannak's last race sort of piqued my interest as well. I remember his trainer saying that he wouldn't be back to defend his title when he was told the distance was being increased but I guess he saw enough in his last start to give it a try.

NT

mclem0822
11-02-2009, 01:53 PM

I'll take Cloudy's Knight over Nite Light as far as the Americans go.I think you guys are spot on about Father Time, it looked to me like he had run, and just got put in a crappy place by Spencer. In terms of Cloudy's Knight, I wonder if Sheppard sticks with Homeister, or turns to his guy Leparoux? Can't argue with the way the horse has looked in his last 2.

Rootdog1
11-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Re: Connie and Michael

They think she is a freak but are asking alot with two turns and the class. I think the pace is the question....as I hear it, she doesnt stalk she runs until she cant run no more...

Buckpasser
11-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Re: Connie and Michael

They think she is a freak but are asking alot with two turns and the class. I think the pace is the question....as I hear it, she doesnt stalk she runs until she cant run no more...

Watch This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bVXh9Az3LM

Bigsmc
11-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Watch This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bVXh9Az3LM

and?