PDA

View Full Version : Best Centerfielder of all time? HUH????

Buffymommy
08-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Now ya'll know I am a Braves fan, but I don't know if I agree with this.

I was watching Baseball Tonight last night and they were counting down the top three Centerfielders of all time. They named Andruw Jones as #1. That seem right to you guys?

timmgirvan
08-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Buffy: uh,no....unless he plays 15 more years and ups his BA 50 pts. BTW...Did you see his 410ft broken-bat HR?? Yikes!

BellamyRd.
08-08-2006, 03:18 PM
did they mean stricly playing the field?
I would vote Willie Mays #1
probably Griffey, Jr. at #2
Kirby #3

Buffymommy
08-08-2006, 03:34 PM
I figure Willie Mays as #1.

They were talking all around Best Centerfielder fielding and hitting. (Well, it was late, but I swear that is what that big fat dude said. Sorry I can't remember his name)

I am kinda mad at Griffey Jr this season, he really hasn't done anything and he is getting fat. Sorry, I am bias because he hasn't done much for my fantasty b-ball team this year. But in his heyday, he was awesome.

Gander
08-08-2006, 04:34 PM
You guys dont even mention Jim Edmonds? Whats wrong with you? Hes the best fielder I have ever seen in the outfield, period.

somerfrost
08-08-2006, 04:34 PM
I figure Willie Mays as #1.

They were talking all around Best Centerfielder fielding and hitting. (Well, it was late, but I swear that is what that big fat dude said. Sorry I can't remember his name)

I am kinda mad at Griffey Jr this season, he really hasn't done anything and he is getting fat. Sorry, I am bias because he hasn't done much for my fantasty b-ball team this year. But in his heyday, he was awesome.

Hard to argue Willie Mays as number one!

somerfrost
08-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Hard to argue Willie Mays as number one!

Of course the following would merit serious consideration as well:
Cool Papa Bell
Joe DiMaggio
Tris Speaker
Ty Cobb

2 Dollar Bill
08-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Of course the following would merit serious consideration as well:
Cool Papa Bell
Joe DiMaggio
Tris Speaker
Ty Cobb
A old timer once told me that Ty Cobb was the best baseball player ( that he seen playing ).. Anyone who [as he told me] would sit on the top dugout steps getting his spikes sharpen just to show the other team, he was ALL business !

somerfrost
08-08-2006, 11:24 PM
My opinion of Edmonds is he makes plays look very difficult because he gets a bad jump on the ball. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good centerfielder, but not in Andruw's league. As for Andruw being the best ever...NO WAY. Willie Mays is one of the best players ever, and he is the best center fielder of all time. Then take a look at his hitting stats. Not even close.

Willie...660 homers, 3283 hits, 1903 RBI, 2062 runs, 338 steals, .302 ave
Cobb...4191 hits, hit over .400 three times, 892 steals, .367 ave.
Speaker...3515 hits, .345 ave.
DiMaggio....325 ave.
Bell...no stats available
All bring a lot to the table!

alysheba4
08-09-2006, 11:32 AM
didnt mantle start in center?........ as far as pure defense a. jones is the best i have ever seen......... those diving over the shoulder edmonds catches are routine plays with jones;)

ddthetide
08-09-2006, 12:39 PM
willie mays is the best CF. dimaggio may not be far behind.
there is a neat old picture of a starting NL-allstar OF,
aaron, mays, clemete. now thats an OF that plays defense and offense!