PDA

View Full Version : Horation Nelson Euthanized

Hoisttheflag
06-03-2006, 12:05 PM
They couldn't save him. Very sad.

Scav
06-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Unbelievable, I only got to watch the race, someone said that the stewards were looking at him before the race or something? What did he end up hurting? Cannon, Pastern?

Danzig
06-03-2006, 12:21 PM
damn

we've all been so elated with barbaros success thus far....but he is still a rarity, which is a shame.

The_Wizard
06-03-2006, 12:25 PM
damn

we've all been so elated with barbaros success thus far....but he is still a rarity, which is a shame.

Completely different circumstances. This injury was worse.

Danzig
06-03-2006, 12:27 PM
well obviously wizard.

The_Wizard
06-03-2006, 01:09 PM
well obviously wizard.

His injuries were similar to Barbaro in that it was a condylar fracture, shattered sesimoids and dislocated fetlock, but they are reporting the skin was broke. Even if that happened to Barbaro he wouldn't have made it.

Cajungator26
06-03-2006, 01:53 PM
This is awful. :(

It makes me upset that they were concerned of his soundness before the race began and still ran him nonetheless.

http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=racing/06/06/03/RACING_Derby_Nelson.html

Downthestretch55
06-03-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm not going to attach any blame. I'm too devastated.
RIP HN.
So sad. Poly crap wouldn't have made a difference.
Sad day.

Cunningham Racing
06-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Wow...racing has had some unbelievable bad luck the last few weeks...very sad, especially since the Stews, trianer and jock all examined him before the race when Keiren realized he wasn't right....absolutely horrible for that to happen..

..I read to where they were going to try and save him like Barbaro, but I also read that he had a very severe fracture and that it was unlikely...I guess he was too bad to help....unbelievable..

Danzig
06-03-2006, 06:53 PM
this from racing post:

Webbon, previously the Jockey Club's veterinary director, said: "Horatio Nelson has been put down. The response when he was injured was extremely quick. He was taken in an ambulance to the treatment centre where several X-rays were taken. They revealed major injuries to his right foreleg. He had fractured a cannon bone, a sesamoid bone, and dislocated a fetlock joint. There were open wounds and damage to the blood vessels, nerves and ligaments around the joint which were already potentially infected. Five veterinary surgeons were there and they were of the unanimous opinion that the situation was hopeless andit was in the horse's best interests to put him down."

The vets included Webbon, James Halley of Coolmore, and three racecourse vets, one of whom, Jenny Hall, was in attendance before the race, when Horatio Nelson was trotted up and down after jockeyKieren Fallon expressed some concern about his mount.

Webbon explained: "Hall discussed the situation with Aidan O'Brien, the trainer, and both were satisfied that the horse was fit to compete. Hall is an extremely experienced vet and O'Brien is an extremely experienced trainer and they would not have allowed the horse to run if they thought its life was being put at risk."

Horatio Nelson's part-owner John Magnier praised the help given by the racecourse in the horse's treatment while a dejected Fallon left the course after giving up his mount on Indian Trail in the last.

Fallon said: “He was a bit stiff but he was fine when he trotted off. I don’t know at what stage it happened I just heard his leg snap and it’s very upsetting.”

Scurlogue Champ
06-03-2006, 07:04 PM
I just watched the replay up here at work and it sure did look pretty bad.

It is tragic when any of them come to grief.

The Derby was still a hell of a horse race in the last 50-100 yards. We will be posting it online for viewing tonight hopefully before 10:00 pm.

Anyone who didn't see the race should check it out.

We also have the Oaks and Coronation Cup from yesterday already up and running.

www.UKRacing.net

deltaforce97
06-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Very, very, sad. RIP

Suffolk Shippers
06-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Really unfortunate to see this young colt go down so tragically. Without saying, this is just a reminder of how frail these animals can be. It is a little more salt in the wounds considering Barbaro's break down a few weeks ago at Pimlico. Hopefully this will be the last in the string of bad luck on the track and the summer season will be more enjoyable and less fraught with career ending, and in this case, life ending injuries.

kentuckyrosesinmay
06-05-2006, 12:18 AM
First Barbaro, and now Horatio Nelson. These were arguably two of the best horses in the world. We have lost two of racing's biggest stars in the last two weeks. Unbelievable. This is so sad. RIP boy.

My prayers go out to the connections of this horse. This is just so sad.

Secretariat
06-05-2006, 08:47 AM
this is extremely sad, they hesitated to load him into the gate,
and they made the wrong decision.
now he is dead. RIP.......

throughout the race every 100 yards or so you could see the horse visually stumble. it appeared to be his right front forleg. in the middle of the stretch, he sat down his hind legs gave way, he looked like a cat or dag in a sitting position.
terrible, just terrible. this should not have occurred.