PDA

View Full Version : Somebeachsomewhere NOT retired now

ALostTexan
11-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Although previous plans had pacing phenom Somebeachsomewhere retiring after tonight's Breeders Crown, a last minute change of plans has the photogenic colt heading to Dover Downs to compete in the Matron.

Link to story on Standardbred Canada Website (http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/11-29-08/somebeachsomewhere-not-retired.html)

Great news for harness racing fans after last night's Breeders Crown. There will be one/two more chance(s) for fans to see him run, and if you haven't ever watched this great one you will have yet another opportunity to see a truly great pacer run...

outofthebox
11-30-2008, 10:35 AM
In TB racing the Matron is always a filly race. Would this race for Somebeach be against 3yo's or will it be open?

ALostTexan
11-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Yeah, harness racing also has "derby's" that are not for 3YO's, which is really, really confusing. I believe that the Matron Series, which is a bunch of races for different classes, will be restricted to 3YO's at Dover Downs next month.

I was hoping to see him square off against some of the older pacers, but the real competition, Mister Big, has already been given the rest of the year off, so we wouldn't be seeing the race that everyone wants anyway, so I guess running him against more 3YO's isn't too bad...

ELA
11-30-2008, 10:47 AM
I think the Matron has always been limited to 3yo's, and they used to have one for the boys and the girls. Years ago it was a Pompano Park stake race.

Eric

outofthebox
11-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the answer. Let us know if Shadow Play is pointing for that race. I see that the Messenger at Yonkers was a furious battle between the two, so maybe the smaller track will bring these guys closer together.

I see that Dewey had not run since the race at VD (Oct 31) I know thats a big deal in handicapping harness races, and not much a big deal for the TB's. What was your guys take on how he ran last night? And is he retired?

ELA
11-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah, harness racing also has "derby's" that are not for 3YO's, which is really, really confusing. I believe that the Matron Series, which is a bunch of races for different classes, will be restricted to 3YO's at Dover Downs next month.

I was hoping to see him square off against some of the older pacers, but the real competition, Mister Big, has already been given the rest of the year off, so we wouldn't be seeing the race that everyone wants anyway, so I guess running him against more 3YO's isn't too bad...

I enjoyed seeing him again last night. I like that colt who finished second as well, and he's coming back next year. I guess some people had said this was surprising considering Blue Chip is involved. 3yo's racing against older horses in harness racing is a very different situation, at least as far as the best in the class goes. The way the stakes schedule has always been, there is never a shortage of races for 3yo's, and it's never been a common occurence. The BC and all other stakes has always been restricted by age. Sure, a top 3yo might drop into an Open or Invitational at some "B" track for a prep or something, but 3yo's normally never race against aged horses.

When it was at Pompano, the Matron used to be a race that a lot of horses pointed for. It was restricted to age, sex and gait.

Eric

ALostTexan
11-30-2008, 11:20 AM
I enjoyed seeing him again last night. I like that colt who finished second as well, and he's coming back next year. I guess some people had said this was surprising considering Blue Chip is involved. 3yo's racing against older horses in harness racing is a very different situation, at least as far as the best in the class goes. The way the stakes schedule has always been, there is never a shortage of races for 3yo's, and it's never been a common occurence. The BC and all other stakes has always been restricted by age. Sure, a top 3yo might drop into an Open or Invitational at some "B" track for a prep or something, but 3yo's normally never race against aged horses.

When it was at Pompano, the Matron used to be a race that a lot of horses pointed for. It was restricted to age, sex and gait.

Eric

Yeah, there are still a ton of Matron Stakes that are restricted at Dover Downs. For a full schedule, check out this link (http://www.doverdowns.com/horse-racing/stakes-schedule/)...