PDA

View Full Version : Landis... new info not good

pgardn
08-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Tests performed on the cyclist Floyd Landis’s initial urine sample showed that some of the testosterone in his body had come from an external source and was not produced by his system, according to a person at the International Cycling Union with knowledge of the results.

Dammit to hell. Saturday will tell us about the B sample but this is not good news. Hope the guy is wrong.

SCUDSBROTHER
08-01-2006, 11:26 AM
We are crushed.

pgardn
08-01-2006, 11:32 AM
We are crushed.

We is plural.

SCUDSBROTHER
08-01-2006, 12:23 PM
We is plural.

"We" represents myself as well as those who don't even care enough to post that they don't care(the unspoken majority.)We are indeed crushed by the bad news.

Gander
08-01-2006, 12:30 PM
I am in the "We" and really hope the guy is gulilty so this sport loses even more credibility. The fact that the Tour De France takes up space on ESPN Sports Center pisses me off. Let these lunatics climb all the mountains they want and do all the drugs they want. Who the hell cares. Just please no coverage on Sports Center.

SCUDSBROTHER
08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
I am in the "We" and really hope the guy is gulilty so this sport loses even more credibility. The fact that the Tour De France takes up space on ESPN Sports Center pisses me off. Let these lunatics climb all the mountains they want and do all the drugs they want. Who the hell cares. Just please no coverage on Sports Center.

How about the Fat Euros in the dart tournaments?I don't know which is worse.

Scav
08-01-2006, 12:53 PM
How about the Fat Euros in the dart tournaments?I don't know which is worse.

At least the dart guys say/do comedy stuff, I actually enjoy watching that sometimes

OOOONNNNEEEEE HUNDRRREEDDD AND EEEEEIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHTTTTYYYY

somerfrost
08-01-2006, 01:05 PM
At least the dart guys say/do comedy stuff, I actually enjoy watching that sometimes

OOOONNNNEEEEE HUNDRRREEDDD AND EEEEEIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHTTTTYYYY

Yeah....thank god for cycling, darts, poker, soccer...without that crap on ESPN, I might feel I was the only person in the world without a life! Congrats to Red Sox fans by the way...Ortiz may win the pennant single-handedly!

Gander
08-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Ortiz is the best thing thats happened to Boston since Yaz.

brockguy
08-01-2006, 02:24 PM
I was in a pub the other night and swore that Rock Paper Scissors was on on ESPN..and Ortiz is doing a fine job, long may it continue!

and regarding Landis, still think that his effort looked way too good to be true!

pgardn
08-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Yeah....thank god for cycling, darts, poker, soccer...without that crap on ESPN, I might feel I was the only person in the world without a life! Congrats to Red Sox fans by the way...Ortiz may win the pennant single-handedly!

Ahhh the great athletes of baseball. The only team sport that a player that can barely run is of value. Go Barry, chase those balls down sport. What a joke. He is an OUTFIELDER. Baseball fat guys and beer.

Gander
08-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Barry is no more a joke than Landis. Only difference is people cared about Barry at one point. Nobody really gives a rat ass about cyclists.

Only time the sport makes headlines is when drugs are involved. Its an utter mess.

irishtrekker
08-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Actually, some of us do appreciate cycling. It is a godawfully difficult task to huff your way up the back side of Madison in Seattle, let alone get through a stage of the TdeF...I personally find baseball boring, but if you like it, that's cool. Leave my bikes alone. :p

pgardn
08-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Barry is no more a joke than Landis. Only difference is people cared about Barry at one point. Nobody really gives a rat ass about cyclists.

Only time the sport makes headlines is when drugs are involved. Its an utter mess.

I dont care about Barry's rhoids. He cannot run yet he still can play OUTFIELD? How does that happen?

Gander
08-01-2006, 03:56 PM
I dont think many care about Barry anymore Pgard. That was my point in another thread. As much as we talk baseball on here, his name seldom comes up.

Sorry about the cycling bashing. I like riding my bike, just find the guys on TV to be boring. But different strokes for different folks.

I know many people who are bored with baseball, and thats very understandable.

And Pgard, for the 100th time, I dont remember anyone ever saying baseball players (in general) were anywhere close to "great athletes". Just not sure why that matters.

SCUDSBROTHER
08-01-2006, 05:01 PM
I dont think many care about Barry anymore Pgard. That was my point in another thread. As much as we talk baseball on here, his name seldom comes up.

Sorry about the cycling bashing. I like riding my bike, just find the guys on TV to be boring. But different strokes for different folks.

And Pgard, for the 100th time, I dont remember anyone ever saying baseball players (in general) were anywhere close to "great athletes". Just not sure why that matters.

Wait a minute now.Try again about the baseball players not being athletes.Maybe you can say that about some pitchers,but any good hitter has to have incredible eye-hand coordination.Try looking at some of the break these pitches have on them,and you must realize how good they are to be able to hit a pitch that breaks that hard.If you can hit both fastballs,and breaking balls(especially sliders)etc.,then you are an athlete.Try that split finger fastball that Haren was throwing last night.Good luck trying to hit that.

Gander
08-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Hey Scuds,

His palms are sweaty, knees weak, theres vomit on his sweater, mom's spaghetti. Hes nervous, everybodys choking now. but on the surface he looks calm and ready. Dont waste this, it may be the only motherfukcing opportunity you get. Lose yousrelf in the moment, the music."

timmgirvan
08-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Ortiz is the best thing thats happened to Boston since Yaz.
YAZ.....now THERE was a PLAYER !!

irishtrekker
08-01-2006, 05:47 PM

No worries. :)

SCUDSBROTHER
08-01-2006, 06:04 PM
Lol..darts Again..

pgardn
08-01-2006, 06:17 PM

Most of the sports I enjoy watching on TV involve movement. Some sort of running. Horse racing is exactly that. Great athletes conditioned to run incredible distances at incredible speeds. My little hang up. I dont like watching marathons either except to see the look on the guys faces and understanding what they are going thru.
Im a little less into the technical skill sports. Darts, bowling, baseball, golf.

I will agree though that hitting a baseball that is coming fast and changing direction, and a little white ball with dimples, are the two most difficult things I have attempted that require skills.
I like to watch fast people run and fast animals run.

SCUDSBROTHER
08-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Most of the sports I enjoy watching on TV involve movement. Some sort of running. Horse racing is exactly that. Great athletes conditioned to run incredible distances at incredible speeds. My little hang up. I dont like watching marathons either except to see the look on the guys faces and understanding what they are going thru.
Im a little less into the technical skill sports. Darts, bowling, baseball, golf.

I will agree though that hitting a baseball that is coming fast and changing direction, and a little white ball with dimples, are the two most difficult things I have attempted that require skills.
I like to watch fast people run and fast animals run.

THEY HIT A ROUND BALL WITH A ROUND BAT(and the ball is rarely coming without movement of some sort.)Why do ya think all these guys like to play softball? Bigger ball,and it isn't moving around nearly as much.

pgardn
08-01-2006, 08:37 PM
THEY HIT A ROUND BALL WITH A ROUND BAT(and the ball is rarely coming without movement of some sort.)Why do ya think all these guys like to play softball? Bigger ball,and it isn't moving around nearly as much.

Scuds I could never get around on a fastball. I would duck out of the batters box on curve balls. The real problem with me was the ball comes very fast and it is very, very hard. It hurts like hell to get hit. I have a great reguard for hitters. Just like 300 bowlers... how is that done?

And I had/have what I consider very good hand eye coordination. Tennis was a breeze for me. And I learned to juggle in about two minutes. So I do have great respect for hitters. Although I do remember I once had an old guy (other than my DAD thank God) give me some pointers and batting practice and had a very good hitting game after working with him. So maybe I never learned properly. Dont matter. Damn difficult.

SCUDSBROTHER
08-02-2006, 11:52 AM
I think it is quite a talent to be able to hit some of these darting pitches that come to the plate at different speeds each time.It is almost impossible to be ready to hit either a fastball or a darting breaking ball.That is why you see these batters don't even move the bat on an obvious strike 3 fastball.They had to sit on the breaking ball,and they didn't get it.They guessed wrong.This is why Bradley looked like a hero on Sunday (with a walk off 3 run home run,)but was a statue on strike 3 last night(to end the game.)The secret to baseball is that it is not all about physical talent.It is a lot about strategy,and decision making.If you don't enjoy those 2 ,then it probably would be pretty boring.It isn't like watching a 100 yard dash.There are no decisions to be made there.That is flat out physical ability.

pgardn
08-02-2006, 12:03 PM
I think it is quite a talent to be able to hit some of these darting pitches that come to the plate at different speeds each time.It is almost impossible to be ready to hit either a fastball or a darting breaking ball.That is why you see these batters don't even move the bat on an obvious strike 3 fastball.They had to sit on the breaking ball,and they didn't get it.They guessed wrong.This is why Bradley looked like a hero on Sunday (with a walk off 3 run home run,)but was a statue on strike 3 last night(to end the game.)The secret to baseball is that it is not all about physical talent.It is a lot about strategy,and decision making.If you don't enjoy those 2 ,then it probably would be pretty boring.It isn't like watching a 100 yard dash.There are no decisions to be made there.That is flat out physical ability.

Baseball is clearly a thinking mans sport. I really used to like it until the strikes of the 90's. Then my daughter got into a sport I loved to play, basketball, and baseball was done for me. IMO it really was the great American sport because of the strategy involved. Now, Players changing teams for playoff runs constantly, no allegiance to a team(w/ good reason), outrageous sums of money, I just dont like it.

Back to Landis. I think he may be toast. He almost certainly had synthetic testosterone in his system. The test they performed C-14 ... is a big strike. But if his B sample is clear he may get off.

SCUDSBROTHER
08-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I think if you had a major league team in town you would get into it more.Kind of tough when you basically live in a place that's nearly as hot as an Auschwitz Crematorium.Baseball is really best outdoors.You have indoor places you could have a team play at.What are they doing with that hangar they call the Alamo Dome?You must have a minor league team.Used to be a Dodger farm club there.I think Bob Welch came up from that club(with bottle.)Where do they play? Can't play day games outside can they?

pgardn
08-02-2006, 04:19 PM
I think if you had a major league team in town you would get into it more.Kind of tough when you basically live in a place that's nearly as hot as an Auschwitz Crematorium.Baseball is really best outdoors.You have indoor places you could have a team play at.What are they doing with that hangar they call the Alamo Dome?You must have a minor league team.Used to be a Dodger farm club there.I think Bob Welch came up from that club(with bottle.)Where do they play? Can't play day games outside can they?

The San Antonio Missions double A. Seattle Mariners crop. Currently in first place in the Texas League. Yes hot as hell at the games. But really cheap, good dogs, good beer.

Alamo Dome: Large Conventions (Baptists arrive in droves), concerts, boxing, football (HS playoffs, college Bowl games, preseason Cowboys, Saints last year, and on...) College Basketball Final four and other earlier rounds. But overall I think the city breaks about even without a pro football team that would never be supported.