PDA

View Full Version : Lack of trades....

Gander
08-01-2006, 08:00 AM
I am shocked. First and foremost that nobody really went after Alfonso Soriano. Most specifically the Angels or Tigers. Both teams are kind of unique from the perspective that they have stronger pitching than they do offense, so they were indeed the 2 leading teams. Yankees blew their wad on Abreui which was a very good pick up, so thats their excuse.

To learn that the biggest dealing of the final day was Greg Maddux to LA was surprising to say the least.

SCUDSBROTHER
08-01-2006, 08:59 AM
I don't think the Angels have the starting pitching to just give up Santana.He has been getting beat while pitching 5 scoreless innings,and then throwing a couple hanging sliders in the 6th,or the 7th.Unlucky guy.If you look before,or after his last 2 starts,you will see they give other pitchers more support.I just think pitchers get up for a division winner who will hurt you if you don't pitch great.So,they pitch practically their perfect game.Then they blame the Angel offense(which just scored 10 runs.)Fact is that their is a price to be paid for winning a division 3 out of the last 4 years.You saw yourself the gem that Haren threw at them. They had their chances early,and let him get out of it in the 1st 3 innings.Almost every game that they do that in,the pitcher gets confidence,and that is the way they lose.Scioscia says they have to beat good pitching,but they aren't doing it unless it is a national T.V./high exposure type game(like last Friday Night.)Regardless,I would sure like to know who the Angels are gunna get 5 scoreless from to start every 5th game(if they just had dumped Santana like every genius wanted to do.)Colon is either hurt,or no good.That leaves Lackey,and Weaver.Escobar is unreliable(but use him as the 3rd starter.)You geniuses tell me who you use for the 4th,and 5th pitchers?We are going with a minor league pitcher tonight(Saunders.)I just think people talk without looking.The Halos do not have the starting pitching to give up Santana(that would mean an almost guaranteed loss in every 5th game.)Offense is great,but if you give up as many runs as you get,then you will still lose.I guarantee you that if they gave up Santana they would lose every 5th game.That Oakland team is a hungry bunch,and he kept them scoreless for 5 innings.We do not have another guy to just throw into the rotation to do that.Instead of losing 3-1,the Halos would lose 10-4(but I guess it would satisfy everybody because Soriano was in the line up,and getting a couple doubles.)Fact is that the Angels scored a lot of runs on Sunday Night,and had been beating Haren routinely.Both of those factors got the guy's attention,and he was up for the game.I think the Halos got in from Boston at 4:30 a.m.,and didn't even take batting practice.Half the team was probably waiting up to see if their pitcher(Santana) was going to get dumped.They probably took Haren for granted,and didn't attack like they should have(in the 1st 3 innings.)They didn't work the count,and get clutch hits in the 1st 3 innings.They had guys on,and f'd up.I guarantee you he has their attention now.It is unfortunate,but the team takes other teams,and pitchers etc. for granted,and they get beat this way.They lost 2 to K.C. this way 2 weeks ago.The most obvious thing that can be improved in games like this(pitching duels) is the Halo pitchers do not pitch inside enough.If you look at Bradley's home run,he is way too comfortable up there.The last thing on his mind was getting hit by a hard pitch on the inside of the plate.This is Bud Black's responsibility(to make his pitchers do this.)He doesn't have to tell Weaver,or Lackey to do it.Escobar,and Santana are not as competitive,and have to be constantly pressed to do it.I don't understand guys that think they can routinely get guys out without pitching inside(makes it real tough on themselves.)

SCUDSBROTHER
08-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Gander,as far as the Halos go,it is no mystery what took place(I don't agree with admitting you were willing to give up a certain player,but there seems to be a lack of class around the league as far as this goes.)Halos' Owner said the following:

"We made the better deal for Carlos Lee, a combination of major league players and minor leaguers, but Milwaukee wanted all big leaguers and got that from Texas," Moreno said. "And we had a deal done for Tejada."

The deal was in place before Tejada went public saying he'd only play shortstop, which surprisingly didn't change the Angels' plans.

"We were willing to gamble we could change his mind," Moreno said. "We were also concerned about his right to leave after the season despite having three years left on his contract, but again we were willing to gamble we'd convince him to stay."

But then Baltimore owner Peter Angelos put the kibosh on the deal.

The Angels made a pitch for Soriano, offered a pair of prospects, but then one hour before the trading deadline, "Washington came back and wanted another minor league pitcher in the deal," Moreno said. "They were asking for three high-end minor leaguers for a two-month rental, and we just wouldn't do that."

SCUDSBROTHER
08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
No free lunch(unless the Yanks are buying.)