PDA

View Full Version : Breeder's Cup WrapUp Thoughts

TheSpyder
10-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Well, it's over...Two grueling days, a lot of races, so what did you think?

My thoughts..

Got to start out by saying the ATR show all week was exceptional and if there was some award for horse racing coverage, it should win something. The insight and opinions helped put me on several winners.

The ProRide surface; I have to say I had no problem with it and think it played fair. I think the best horses won except when a jockey made the wrong move. You could say that it cost Curlin the win, but you could also say he was moved way too soon leaving nothing for the finish. We'll never know.

I'm interested now about the different artificial surfaces. ProRide is 87% regular dirt/sand. What are the others? It appears that not all these are the same so you can make a claim that there are now 4,5 or 6 different surfaces. Someone made the comment that the Keeneland surface is very different. This makes it difficult to cap. Still, I had no problem with the ProRide and as I did very well over the weekend, I guess I'm an artifical capper. The horses seemed to like it too as no injuries I heard.

The TV coverage was poor. I wish these guys would watch an English TV coverage. The stars calling the jocks "riders up" was the low point. Also, having 10 different announcers was as mind spinning as the camera angles and would put anyone on dramamine. My head is still spinning.

The number of races was too much. Maybe I'll get use to it but the addition of all those races made it a seemed watered down. Certainly it made it a challenge for owner/trainers to decide which race was best to enter.

The horse and match ups were the highlight. Euro's vs. US horses, East Coast/West Coast, dirt horses/artifical horses, distance horses/speed horses all made each race very interesting and a heck of a lot of fun to cap. All in all, the races were fantastic. You can make a claim that here were horses that didn't belong in a Breeder's Cup, but looking at some of the winners (Desert Code for example), it appears that the day found the best horses.

MISTERGEE
10-26-2008, 08:14 AM
next time they go to santa anita I will throw out all east coast based horses and then start handicapping from there

Danzig
10-26-2008, 08:48 AM
next time they go to santa anita I will throw out all east coast based horses and then start handicapping from there

don't forget to throw out all the euros too. :rolleyes:

Pedigree Ann
10-26-2008, 09:01 AM

You'd do better throwing out the front-end speed burners in all the sprints. I thought possibly that a really fast-breaking horse could speed-pop the field and keep on, but Dearest Trickski's fate cured me of that real fast.

declansharbor
10-26-2008, 10:07 AM
As my head hit the pillow last night(a happy man), one thought for some reason or another had me scratching it.

How in the HELL did Red Rock Canyon finish 6th and not dead last in the Turf? Better Talk Now ran a disgrace of a race if he wasnt able to outfinish that horse.

Hwjb
10-26-2008, 10:12 AM
1st) the jockeys on Grand Couturier and Better Talk Now should get bans for ill-judged rides.

2nd) didn't Raven's Pass make the exact same move as Curlin?

2Hot4TV
10-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Pro ride played as predicted.

No kick back.

The hotter the surface gets the more it favors horses from off the pace.

Santa Anita is a showplace deserving of the Breeders Cup.

docicu3
10-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Get rid of the blessed purple saddle cloths before military action does it for them next year....:D

Cannon Shell
10-26-2008, 10:36 AM
As my head hit the pillow last night(a happy man), one thought for some reason or another had me scratching it.

How in the HELL did Red Rock Canyon finish 6th and not dead last in the Turf? Better Talk Now ran a disgrace of a race if he wasnt able to outfinish that horse.
BTN is like 27 years old, give him a break...

King Glorious
10-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Bet Asmussen is wishing he had gone with his first mind and not brought Curlin out here for this. Couldn't even beat Tiago. He'd still get my vote but I'm sure a lot of voters will be swayed or come close to it as far as him vs. Zenyatta for HOY.

I've said for 20 years that the QE II Stakes at Ascot is a better prep for the Classic than for the BC Mile.

Midnight Lute is something.

Zarkava is REALLY something.

Anyone that still wants to debate that these junk tracks play favorably for grass horses, I hereby enter into evidence exhibit A, the BC Classic.

I wish Zenyatta had been in the Classic.

American trainers should have to be sent to Europe to do one year of studying. Maybe then, we could see more fillies do what Goldikova did, what Zarkava did, and what Zenyatta could have done this year......take on and beat the boys.

The temperature was over 90 degrees and the Euro's dominated the day. It was 100 last time at SA and they were very successful then too. I'd hope that one day, this silly notion that the warm temps of Southern California put them at a disadvantage. Probably won't though. I think it's as ingrained in the minds of players as the silly thoughts about Pimlico.

How about that Baffert guy.

Hwjb
10-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Bet Asmussen is wishing he had gone with his first mind and not brought Curlin out here for this. Couldn't even beat Tiago. He'd still get my vote but I'm sure a lot of voters will be swayed or come close to it as far as him vs. Zenyatta for HOY.

I've said for 20 years that the QE II Stakes at Ascot is a better prep for the Classic than for the BC Mile.

Midnight Lute is something.

Zarkava is REALLY something.

Anyone that still wants to debate that these junk tracks play favorably for grass horses, I hereby enter into evidence exhibit A, the BC Classic.

I wish Zenyatta had been in the Classic.

American trainers should have to be sent to Europe to do one year of studying. Maybe then, we could see more fillies do what Goldikova did, what Zarkava did, and what Zenyatta could have done this year......take on and beat the boys.

The temperature was over 90 degrees and the Euro's dominated the day. It was 100 last time at SA and they were very successful then too. I'd hope that one day, this silly notion that the warm temps of Southern California put them at a disadvantage. Probably won't though. I think it's as ingrained in the minds of players as the silly thoughts about Pimlico.

How about that Baffert guy.

With the honourable exception of Giant's Causeway (who was a well-beaten second at Ascot) when before has the QEII figured in the Breeders' Cup Classic shake down?

10 pnt move up
10-26-2008, 11:12 AM
You'd do better throwing out the front-end speed burners in all the sprints. I thought possibly that a really fast-breaking horse could speed-pop the field and keep on, but Dearest Trickski's fate cured me of that real fast.

I am getting tired of ignorant, uninformed statements going unchallenged on this board.

Dearest Trickski may have been the worst bet in that race. Lets take a look at her wins this year.

In the La Brea she gets two lengths clear as the controlling pace, it was a moderate pace at best.

In the A Gleam she pops the gate and sets a pace 20 points slower then the final time, again she is never challenged on the lead until its to late.

In the Ranch Barnardo again she faces zero pace pressure and sets a very moderate pace and hangs on by a nose.

Now she has to deal with Dream Rush and Indian Blessing. While she did get clear it took crazy in sane fractions to do it, and she wilted as expected.

What should have been taken out of the race is that Indian Blessing was right there off that crazy pace and held a very good second, it was an exceptional effort.

10 pnt move up
10-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Pro ride played as predicted.

No kick back.

The hotter the surface gets the more it favors horses from off the pace.

Santa Anita is a showplace deserving of the Breeders Cup.

I agree completely, its obvious the heat plays into the surface. What I think they should do, and am surprised they dont look at historical trends but it seems like Nov 1st is a date that brings a real change in the weather, if they would push this back a week they would likely get low 80's temps and the track would tighten up a little bit.

onebadbeast
10-26-2008, 11:25 AM
they are next year

The Bid
10-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Looking forward to 2010

Riot
10-26-2008, 11:43 AM
The racing was great. No problems with the surface. The best horses of the day won. Nothing more exciting than seeing several good horses in it with an eight to go. I even won a little. Nicest BC in a long time. What a gorgeous facility. Can't wait for next year. So nice I'm considering flying out next year to be there in person.

They need to lose the purple saddle cloths. Please. Even gold saddlecloths with purple letters would possibly work better!

2Hot4TV
10-26-2008, 11:47 AM
I agree completely, its obvious the heat plays into the surface. What I think they should do, and am surprised they dont look at historical trends but it seems like Nov 1st is a date that brings a real change in the weather, if they would push this back a week they would likely get low 80's temps and the track would tighten up a little bit.
The weather was alittle hotter and dryer because of a Santa Ana condition and you are right 10 days from now it will be 10 to 15 degrees cooler.

TheSpyder
10-26-2008, 11:51 AM
and another thing...

Stardom Bound...how about that filly. Simply awesome and hope she races next year as if she improves, .......wow, she's unstopable.

Also, she put to rest that you can't make a big move on the synthetic. I wonder how she would run on dirt.

2Hot4TV
10-26-2008, 11:52 AM
The racing was great. No problems with the surface. The best horses of the day won. Nothing more exciting than seeing several good horses in it with an eight to go. I even won a little. Nicest BC in a long time. What a gorgeous facility. Can't wait for next year. So nice I'm considering flying out next year to be there in person.

They need to lose the purple saddle cloths. Please. Even gold saddlecloths with purple letters would possibly work better!
The mix of fans at Santa Anita were from all over the world and the US. I really enjoyed the people I talked to on rail at the walking ring.

The track was really easy to get in and out of considering it was the Breeders Cup, You wont regret the trip.

King Glorious
10-26-2008, 02:31 PM
With the honourable exception of Giant's Causeway (who was a well-beaten second at Ascot) when before has the QEII figured in the Breeders' Cup Classic shake down?

That's my point. Before, it was always the Mile that they would send their QE II winners over for. And with horrible results:

Shadeed, Milligram, Warning, Zilzal, Markofdistinction, Bigstone, Mark of Esteem, Desert Prince, and Air Express (?) all came over here and lost. There were three losers from that race that came over and won the Mile (Miesque, Ridgewood Pearl, and Barathea) while Excellent Art was a very close second. Why does this happen? Because those horses are true milers and they usually lack the stamina that it takes to win the QE II, even though that race is run at a mile. So look at what's been happening since 2000. First, Giant's Causeway comes over and very nearly wins the Classic. He was arguable better at longer distances than at a mile. Falbrav won the race and lost by less than a length in the BC Turf and he was arguably better at longer distances than a mile. Same with Ratki. Then you have these two this year.

My point is that even though they haven't historically used it that way, I've always felt that horses that do well in the QE II, especially winners, would have fared better if given a shot in the Classic because usually, they don't have the quickness required for an American run mile but they do have the stamina for American 10f races.

I guarantee you that if next year's QE II winner comes over for the BC, it will be for the Classic and not the Mile.

Alan07
10-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Nexy year it's Nov 6& 7

docicu3
10-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Nexy year it's Nov 6& 7

It's time to pass a law making purple sadddle cloths illegal on those days in California!!