PDA

View Full Version : Commentator

philcski
09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Was thinking about resumes for the year, can Commentator possibly steal Horse of the Year if they run him in the Classic and he wins?

[hypothetical]
Commentator: NTR GP 1 mile 1:33 3/5, Richter Scale (G2), 2nd Met Mile (G1), Whitney (G1), Mass Cap, [BC Classic (G1)]

Curlin: some G3 in UAE, Dubai WC (G1), Stephen Foster (G1), 2nd Man o War (G1), Woodward (G1), [JCGC (G1)], [2nd BC Classic (G1)]

Big Brown: Florida Derby (G1), Kentucky Derby (G1), Preakness (G1), Belmont debacle, Haskell (G1), Monmouth Stakes, [2nd BC Classic (G1)]

Zenyatta: Apple Blossom (G1), Vanity H. (G1), El Encino S. (G2), Milady H. (G2), Clement L. Hirsch H. (G2), [Lady's Secret (G1)], [BC Distaff (G1)]

I don't normally get too jazzed up for the Eclipse Awards but I'd be over the moon if Commentator won HOTY.

philcski
09-26-2008, 11:43 AM
this should be in the paddock, can you move?

SniperSB23
09-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Was thinking about resumes for the year, can Commentator possibly steal Horse of the Year if they run him in the Classic and he wins?

I think he'd be a lock for HOY. BC Classic, Whitney, the highest sprint Beyer, and the highest route Beyer.

blackthroatedwind
09-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Good luck to seeing him in the BC Classic.

philcski
09-26-2008, 12:18 PM

0% chance?

Or is Nick Z taking a wait-and-see approach with the Pro Ride?

SniperSB23
09-26-2008, 12:50 PM

Too bad, he could win if he goes.

hockey2315
09-26-2008, 02:46 PM
I don't understand why people think there's any chance that Commentator runs in the classic. . .

SniperSB23
09-26-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't understand why people think there's any chance that Commentator runs in the classic. . .

This for one:

"Commentator has trained over synthetic tracks at Keeneland and he loves them," Farmer said. "To me, the fact that the Breeders' Cup is being run on a synthetic surface is a plus for him."

SOREHOOF
09-27-2008, 05:27 AM
I LOVE Commentator, but a mile and a quarter just seems a tad too far. Nice to see him rate in the MassCap. He's never been better.

hockey2315
09-27-2008, 09:47 AM
This for one:

"Commentator has trained over synthetic tracks at Keeneland and he loves them," Farmer said. "To me, the fact that the Breeders' Cup is being run on a synthetic surface is a plus for him."

Should I go find one of Zito's "god made dirt - not rubber" quotes? If he DOES go, he'll have almost no shot. And I'm a big fan of his.

SniperSB23
09-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Should I go find one of Zito's "god made dirt - not rubber" quotes? If he DOES go, he'll have almost no shot. And I'm a big fan of his.

You think Zito is going to tell Farmer to go find another trainer if Farmer wants to run the horse?

Distance has never mattered for Commentator, it is how much pace pressure he is under and at 10 furlongs he should get a nice pace setup.

zippyneedsawin
09-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks for posting the 'resumes', Phil.. All 4 are impressive and each deserves consideration for HOY based on their accomplishments this year. Looks like the BC will definately determine who gets it.

Lastkidpickedingymclass
09-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Commentator could absolutely be HOY with a win in the Classic.

If Curlin, BB, Commentator, and Zenyatta got in the gate, the winner gets HOY.

Of course, that showdown won't happen, but it would certainly be interesting.

Cannon Shell
09-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Curlin's dubai races shouldnt count.

hockey2315
09-28-2008, 09:16 PM

Agreed. Do they?

Cannon Shell
09-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Agreed. Do they?
I dont know if they 'officially' do but people seem to take them into consideration. It shouldnt count anymore than the HK races do for a Euro that comes here and wins the BC then goes there. It is a North American award

hrfan
09-29-2008, 05:26 AM
Commentator could absolutely be HOY with a win in the Classic.

If Curlin, BB, Commentator, and Zenyatta got in the gate, the winner gets HOY.

Of course, that showdown won't happen, but it would certainly be interesting.
zenyatta is looking strong for horse of the year... there are many horses who are " poly,cushion" whatever horses, if one of them wins the classic, and zenyatta wins the distaff, shes champ

zippyneedsawin
09-29-2008, 06:43 AM
zenyatta is looking strong for horse of the year... there are many horses who are " poly,cushion" whatever horses, if one of them wins the classic, and zenyatta wins the distaff, shes champ

She has a chance, but I'm still not sure there will be enough support for her over BB or Curlin, even if one of those two don't win the BCC.

cowgirlintexas
09-29-2008, 06:45 AM

If she were to run in the classic and win she would have a chance of being HOR. Otherwise.. not happening. Curlin gets that honor. :)

Danzig
09-29-2008, 06:59 AM

the purse money over there shouldn't count towards north american earnings either.

SniperSB23
09-29-2008, 09:04 AM
the purse money over there shouldn't count towards north american earnings either.

It's not a North American earnings record that Curlin set. It is an earnings record for North American based horses. Thus the DWC counts.

Antitrust32
09-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I hope Curlin, BB and Commentator run in the BC Classic and finish in the last 3 spots. And a bunch of ATW horses run 1-3. Maybe they'll get rid of the crap.

(just wishing)

odbaxter
09-29-2008, 02:35 PM
If she were to run in the classic and win she would have a chance of being HOR. Otherwise.. not happening. Curlin gets that honor. :)

Agreed, she has to run in the Classic. Her romping home in LC over a synthetic surface at 4/5 is going to be a total letdown (unless I hit the Hi-5).