PDA

View Full Version : OT: Harold Reynolds Fired

randallscott35
07-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Why you ask? Apparently rampant sexual harrassment of the ladies at ESPN. This while his wife just had a baby. Good riddance.

whorstman
07-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Why you ask? Apparently rampant sexual harrassment of the ladies at ESPN. This while his wife just had a baby. Good riddance.

Wow, I thought he was a real good analyst too. Shocking. Will the Kruker be next? Harrassing the food court lady for extra meat sauce on his spagetti?

2MinsToPost
07-25-2006, 04:18 PM
what? dude, he was easily one of my top 4 or 5 people on tv when it comes to analysts in ANY sport. such a pleasure to listen to, well used to listen to.

randallscott35
07-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Didn't mind him on ESPN. But I have no tolerance for *******s who sexual harrass women.

timmgirvan
07-25-2006, 04:25 PM
That's a real bummer! I enjoyed him the most, followed by Brantley and Morgan for info. Apparently Harolds' passion for the game extended to eye candy at ESPN

whorstman
07-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Didn't mind him on ESPN. But I have no tolerance for *******s who sexual harrass women.

The story I read did not speculate on the reason. Where did you read that it was S. Harrassment? You can't just instantly believe stories like that. I'll reserve judgement untill more is known.

randallscott35
07-25-2006, 04:30 PM
Quotes from ESPN employees.

• Thirdhand info, but I'm told it's sexual harassment. There were allegations of inappropriate actions between him and female PAs on a couple different occasions, so I'm not entirely shocked.

• It's apparently sexual harassment, but no one knows who the victim was. It went down over the course of the weekend.

• I have on good authority that HR was fired for all things, hitting on girls. Allegedly, this has been going on for a while. The last straw was when a new PA was having none of what Harold had to offer and turned him in.

• Harold Reynolds was fired more or less for copious amounts of sexual harassment. Apparently, he brazenly hits on female employees constantly, despite the fact that his wife just had a kid six months ago. He was warned by the big-wigs on numerous occasions to cool it with the ladies, but someone finally lodged a complaint, and he was canned immediately.

• It's very difficult to get fired from ESPN. It takes multiple offenses ... they're usually so worried about getting sued for unlawful termination that people are suspended multiple times for the same repeated behavior before it finally comes to getting fired. Within the walls of the campus, there are only a few on-air talent guys that had an honest reputation as being overly friendly with the ladies, and HR was one of them.

boldruler
07-25-2006, 04:31 PM
The story I read did not speculate on the reason. Where did you read that it was S. Harrassment? You can't just instantly believe stories like that. I'll reserve judgement untill more is known.

It is definitely sexual harrassment. There have been rumors about the guy forever. I thought he was older but he is just 45 and I guess he can't get enough of the ladies. I feel bad for his wife.

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/top/was-this-why-harold-got-the-axe-189733.php

eurobounce
07-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Sexual Harrassment is such a bull crap excuse. So what if Harold asks a woman out, or says things that are inappropriate. Tell the man NO and move on. The woman prob wasnt even sexually harrassed. Harold prob told her that she looked nice and she flipped out.

eurobounce
07-25-2006, 04:42 PM
It is definitely sexual harrassment. There have been rumors about the guy forever. I thought he was older but he is just 45 and I guess he can't get enough of the ladies. I feel bad for his wife.

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/top/was-this-why-harold-got-the-axe-189733.phpAccording to this article IT IS NOT SEXUAL HARRASSMENT. Read the UPDATE part.
UPDATE: Another reader, with "contacts on the inside," refutes the sexual harassment story: "Anyone who is saying sexual harassment either has been given bad third-hand info or is lying. Harold has had a couple of rather heated arguments with the producers at "Baseball Tonight," and some of the suits at ESPN over the program's coverage of Alex Rodriguez. At the last production meeting, when it was made clear they were going to really play up the A-Rod angle during coverage of the Yankees-Texas series, Harold had a colossal meltdown, which led to his dismissal. The sexual harassment allegations are even more laughable when you consider that he is being replaced by Steve Phillips -- a man who has never met a skirt he wouldn't chase and who was caught in one of the more embarrassing front office sexual harassment scandals in MLB history."

True? This, like the rest of it, just reinforces our point: We don't know. And the longer ESPN pretends like nothing happened, like they're a corner shop with three employees, believing this stuff can possibly remain private, the more talk there will be.)

randallscott35
07-25-2006, 04:44 PM
According to this article IT IS NOT SEXUAL HARRASSMENT. Read the UPDATE part.
UPDATE: Another reader, with "contacts on the inside," refutes the sexual harassment story: "Anyone who is saying sexual harassment either has been given bad third-hand info or is lying. Harold has had a couple of rather heated arguments with the producers at "Baseball Tonight," and some of the suits at ESPN over the program's coverage of Alex Rodriguez. At the last production meeting, when it was made clear they were going to really play up the A-Rod angle during coverage of the Yankees-Texas series, Harold had a colossal meltdown, which led to his dismissal. The sexual harassment allegations are even more laughable when you consider that he is being replaced by Steve Phillips -- a man who has never met a skirt he wouldn't chase and who was caught in one of the more embarrassing front office sexual harassment scandals in MLB history."

True? This, like the rest of it, just reinforces our point: We don't know. And the longer ESPN pretends like nothing happened, like they're a corner shop with three employees, believing this stuff can possibly remain private, the more talk there will be.)

At the end of the day, I'd be happy if it wasn't sexual harrassment. Guess we'll see.

eurobounce
07-25-2006, 04:47 PM
At the end of the day, I'd be happy if it wasn't sexual harrassment. Guess we'll see.
I dont think it was at all. That is such lame information.

boldruler
07-25-2006, 04:53 PM
The ESPN studios are notorious for sexual harassment and out of control gambling and substance issues. I really doubt a disagreement with people would get anyone fired. They are just covering their ass with the public. People don't get fired for disagreements. It is really hard to fire somebody under contract without an issue like sexual harassment or substance use. A disagreement won't get you fired, just moved somewhere else.

randallscott35
07-25-2006, 04:54 PM
The ESPN studios are notorious for sexual harassment and out of control gambling and substance issues. I really doubt a disagreement with people would get anyone fired. They are just covering their ass with the public. People don't get fired for disagreements. It is really hard to fire somebody under contract without an issue like sexual harassment or substance use. A disagreement won't get you fired, just moved somewhere else.

Had a friend who worked at ESPN who reported that Mr. Berman had a "huge coke" problem. Day to day with him, why make it up?

eurobounce
07-25-2006, 04:55 PM
The ESPN studios are notorious for sexual harassment and out of control gambling and substance issues. I really doubt a disagreement with people would get anyone fired. They are just covering their ass with the public. People don't get fired for disagreements. It is really hard to fire somebody under contract without an issue like sexual harassment or substance use. A disagreement won't get you fired, just moved somewhere else.Sure it can. I fired someone over a disagreement. The employee is considered hostile. More people get fired over disagreements than for any other reason. This a more believeable reason the sexual harrassment.

boldruler
07-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Had a friend who worked at ESPN who reported that Mr. Berman had a "huge coke" problem. Day to day with him, why make it up?

I don't know about that but I do know for a fact that drugs, gambling, and women are big problems over there. It is no different than any other entertainment field. It is Hollywood for the sports crowd. Nobody should be surprised. They have a ton of free time, celebrity, and money. Bad combination.

I am convinced Hank Goldberg has pictures of somebody doing something, how else would he keep his job?

boldruler
07-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Sure it can. I fired someone over a disagreement. The employee is considered hostile. More people get fired over disagreements than for any other reason. This a more believeable reason the sexual harrassment.

Your employess are probably not under contract. Almost impossible to fire a person with a contract. They usually just move them.

slotdirt
07-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Wasn't there a harassment scandal with Mike Tirico a few years back?

ArlJim78
07-25-2006, 05:35 PM
I am convinced Hank Goldberg has pictures of somebody doing something, how else would he keep his job?
On this issue you are obviously 100% correct.

jpops757
07-25-2006, 05:51 PM
I don't know about that but I do know for a fact that drugs, gambling, and women are big problems over there. It is no different than any other entertainment field. It is Hollywood for the sports crowd. Nobody should be surprised. They have a ton of free time, celebrity, and money. Bad combination.

I knew someone had some pictures of my xwife.

Gander
07-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Please dont mention Hank Goldberg in the same thread or discussion as Harold Reynolds. Its not fair. Harold Reynolds has been the best contributor to ESPN Baseball in many years.

We'll have to see what really was the reason, but even if he did hit on a few girls, he still is a great loss to their baseball team. Hank Goldberg is a complete joke, ESPN is so hard up for horse racing guys they have to hire this clown.

As far as rumors go, I recently heard that Gabe Kapler has a history of abusing his wife. Sucks to hear things like that, especially from a guy who is one of my favorite players. If thats true, not anymore. The guy would be scum.

Gander
07-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Hopefully the ever elusive Hank Goldberg is not ESPN's replacement on Baseball Tonight. I mean he can get away with guessing at Bud Longshots but they cant be seriously thinking of having this clown talk baseball?

SentToStud
07-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Hopefully the ever elusive Hank Goldberg is not ESPN's replacement on Baseball Tonight. I mean he can get away with guessing at Bud Longshots but they cant be seriously thinking of having this clown talk baseball?

We get a couple hours of the Hammer down here 5 days a week. He blows. Once in a while a nut gets through on the phone and Hank goes haywire screaming at the producers.

Not really a big sports radio fan anymore, though I do remember the early SCORE days with North, Jiggets and Sherer. Used to do tons of driving thru Illinois around 92-93.

eurobounce
07-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Your employess are probably not under contract. Almost impossible to fire a person with a contract. They usually just move them.It is easy to fire someone under contract. There is always a escape clause in a contract. Plus CT is not very friendly to employees.

Thunder Gulch
07-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Reynolds has been a tremendous analyst on that show for years. Why couldn't it be Morgan on the way out? He's right there with Bill Walton and Tim McCarver as worst analysts in sports.

pgardn
07-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Why would ESPN get rid of one of the best analysts in baseball if something was not amiss? I dont like baseball that much but this is a guy I can listen to all day. Something had to be messed up.
If I actually watch the guy, he has to be a big draw. Heck my wife and daughter will even listen to him when he does his little detailed proper position stuff for different situations. They were actually listening and understanding about different stances and bat positions for different players and why they all seem to work well. very good basic stuff.

You dont get rid of a guy like that for no reason. He has got to pull people to the set. Definite $ analyst.

Oops and I just realized I responded to something that probably needs to be in another section...

BellamyRd.
07-25-2006, 09:29 PM
first Frankie Lyons gets tanked on TV, I hear "Boomer" does Scarface-style lines of coke, and now Harold pulls a Clarence Thomas
oh the humanity!

pgardn
07-25-2006, 09:51 PM
first Frankie Lyons gets tanked on TV, I hear "Boomer" does Scarface-style lines of coke, and now Harold pulls a Clarence Thomas
oh the humanity!

of Hindenburg proportions no doubt.

But what great commercials.

BellamyRd.
07-26-2006, 10:05 AM
NEW YORK (AP) -- Harold Reynolds was fired by ESPN from his job as a baseball analyst after he was accused of sexual harassment, the New York Post reported Wednesday.

The former Gold Glove-winning second baseman, a member of the "Baseball Tonight" team for 11 years, said he didn't do anything to warrant his dismissal and wants his job back.

"It was a total misunderstanding," Reynolds told the Post. "My goal is to sit down and get back. To be honest with you, I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted."

The newspaper, quoting sources, reported that the woman is an ESPN employee.

On Tuesday, ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said Reynolds, 45, made his last on-air appearance for the network Sunday night. ESPN refused to comment on previous reports that Reynolds was dismissed, or to provide any details regarding his departure.

"All I can say is he is no longer working here," Krulewitz said.

Reynolds, who played 12 major league seasons, joined ESPN in 1996. In addition to his work on "Baseball Tonight," he also covered the College World Series and the Little League World Series.

ESPN already was dealing with the loss of another baseball analyst, Peter Gammons, who has been off the air since he was stricken with a brain aneurysm on June 27.

boldruler
07-26-2006, 10:11 AM
The guy has a history of this. I laugh how he says a hug was misinterpreted. That sounds like the typical line of a guy who does this regularly. If you are on a short rope you don't even consider hugging women. The guy has a problem. They don't fire people for hugging women.

BellamyRd.
07-26-2006, 10:23 AM
The guy has a history of this. I laugh how he says a hug was misinterpreted. That sounds like the typical line of a guy who does this regularly. If you are on a short rope you don't even consider hugging women. The guy has a problem. They don't fire people for hugging women.

Possible scenario: She says hey Harold! goes over to hug him
he's got a boner, and well doesn't want to be rude
said boner brushes up against her innocently
and she freaks, believe me this happens a lot in the workplace :(

boldruler
07-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Possible scenario: She says hey Harold! goes over to hug him
he's got a boner, and well doesn't want to be rude
said boner brushes up against her innocently
and she freaks, believe me this happens a lot in the workplace :(

Sounds like you speak from experience. :eek:

Too bad Isaih Thomas didn't get fired for his sexual harassment. That guy can't be a worse GM and he still has his job.

BellamyRd.
07-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Sounds like you speak from experience. :eek:

Too bad Isaih Thomas didn't get fired for his sexual harassment. That guy can't be a worse GM and he still has his job.

nah, I'm just saying you can't hold a guy's boner
against him
those of us who are well-endowed
have a lot of "misunderstandings"
if you "prick" us, do we not bleed?

whorstman
07-26-2006, 01:31 PM
What's with this world today, a guy can't hug a chick and grab that a$$ anymore? :rolleyes:

BellamyRd.
07-26-2006, 05:14 PM
one point though I found was odd
is that he wants to tell his side to espn
so one can assume, they fired him w/o hearing it
which could only mean, he was on some type of probation
most likely for this kind of behavior
I like Reynolds a lot, but something seems amiss
but isn't it always "a miss" that does you in?"
suck it up Har, there's no crying in baseball