PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods

GPK
07-23-2006, 10:50 PM
I didn't want this to get lost on the other thread, but what we witnessed this weekend was the type of performance that you wish you could bottle up and 50 years from now open it up and show everyone how truly special this guy was and how he played when he was at his best. To have the mental discipline, in golfs biggest and oldest event, to only hit 1 driver all week, is mind boggling. His physical skills are unreal but to me, his mental focus is a million % better than everyone of those guys out there combined. I have said it before, when you have your own peers in awe, shaking their heads and marveling at what he does...thats incredible. Trust me, those guys do not impress easily.

Vintage Tiger this week and so glad I got a chance to witness it.

ninetoone
07-24-2006, 04:26 AM
Pretty incredible. My father-in-law is a scratch golfer, and for me to think that there is a level beyond that is mind-boggling enough....and then to think that there is a level even beyond THAT is just incomprehensible.

gales0678
07-24-2006, 07:30 AM
Kev - it was a great win for Tiger - but let's not get carried away - this course couldn't have played more than 6,500 hundread yards - the fairways were rocks. He realized that he could hit par 5's with an iron off the tee and another iron into the greens

for the tourney again he was -14 on the par5's , for the weekend he was -7 on the par 5's and +1 on the rest of the golf course

that's why i warned oracle not to bet you- when he plays a golf course with 4 par 5's that he knows he can reach in 2 - in this case with 2 irons off the tee, the field doesn't have much of a chance. He mentally has that big edge when he steps up on the first tee , he already feels he is 4 under par for the round.

When you put him on a tree lined tight par 70 golf course where he doesn't have that same mental edge knowing that he is an automatic -4 to start off, things somehow turn out differently- certain US Open courses just don't fit his game , just like they didn't Jack's game.

He is the greatest front runner in the history of golf- never lost a major after 3 rounds with a lead - that is an amazing thing

GPK
07-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Kev - it was a great win for Tiger - but let's not get carried away - this course couldn't have played more than 6,500 hundread yards - the fairways were rocks. He realized that he could hit par 5's with an iron off the tee and another iron into the greens

for the tourney again he was -14 on the par5's , for the weekend he was -7 on the par 5's and +1 on the rest of the golf course

that's why i warned oracle not to bet you- when he plays a golf course with 4 par 5's that he knows he can reach in 2 - in this case with 2 irons off the tee, the field doesn't have much of a chance. He mentally has that big edge when he steps up on the first tee , he already feels he is 4 under par for the round.

When you put him on a tree lined tight par 70 golf course where he doesn't have that same mental edge knowing that he is an automatic -4 to start off, things somehow turn out differently- certain US Open courses just don't fit his game , just like they didn't Jack's game.

He is the greatest front runner in the history of golf- never lost a major after 3 rounds with a lead - that is an amazing thing

See...there is where I disagree. They talk about Tiger only being able to win on a bombers golf course. This course played so short this week, that ANY type of players should have been able to win, regardless of par. But again, Tiger laid out a game plan and stuck with it. There are TONS of guys out there that hit the ball as long, if not longer, than Tiger does. So, a great many of them could have made the decision to play the same manner (irons off most of the tees), but they chose not too. Why? Because they don't have the mental toughness and fortitude to stick with that kind of plan. Tiger hit 85% of his fairways this week. PLENTY of other guys could have done the same thing. Tiger figured out early in the week what it would take to win and that was to avoid the fairway bunkers and he did that better than anyone.

Not only does he posses far superior physical skills than the rest, but he simply is mentally tougher than the whole lot. He never missed a shot yesterday, but what truly won it for him this week was figuring out what it would take to win and having the mental fortitude to stick with that. THAT IS VINTAGE TIGER.

All that said is just my humble opinion.

2MinsToPost
07-24-2006, 10:21 AM
He flat smoked em. Shot making by him was money. While other guys were messin around in bunkers and out of bounds on occasion, he just kept it in the fairway and greens.

Seattleallstar
07-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Tiger Woods its twice the golfer Jack Nickalus ever was

gales0678
07-24-2006, 11:45 AM
When Tiger wins 36 majors then I will say he is twice the golfer as Jack

Let him first catch Jack's 18 and then say what you want.

I know one thing Tiger and Jack are both great, but , facts are facts

Tiger has won ALL 11 majors from the front end , he has never won a major coming from the middle of the pack or just near the lead heading into the final round. Winning in front is great to do, Jack has won from the front and lost.

Here is why Jack has to be considered the best of ALL Time for now - He lost majors to multiple hall of famers - if there was no palmer, trevino or watson - Jack's totals go way up - he was runner up 6 or 7 times to these hall of famers. The only runner up that Tiger has been too is Rich Beem i believe.

Wouldn't it be great if Tiger could shoot a 65 one the last day of a major to pass some great players like Jack did in the 86 masters? So far he has been unable to do that. He has been in positions before and just not been able to win from behind - let's see what happens the rest of the way.

Seattleallstar
07-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Tiger Woods is so great that he doesnt need to win from behind, he is just that great.

gales0678
07-24-2006, 11:52 AM
where was he last month at the us open????

don't tell me it was becuase of the layoff - he has won regular pga tour events in the past off of layoffs of 4 weeks

i'll tell you where he was - he was in the rough - cause he couldn't hit his driver straight - put him on a tough tree lined tight us open course and he does not dominate - facts are facts Seattle look at the record

again only 1 major on a par 70 course - par 5's are where he has the big advantage

Seattleallstar
07-24-2006, 11:54 AM
:p

I dont like to look at facts and objective thinking. I like to think and act using emotions

Gander
07-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Exactly why does Tiger have to win 36 majors to be considered the best of all time? Jack only won 18 and Tiger is already way ahead of Jack's pace to put that record to rest. Tiger is in way better physical shape than Jack ever was and he already expressed the desire to play this game a very long time which means Jack's record will be beaten. Just a question of when.

Tiger will win a major (more than one) coming from behind. Its just a matter of time. Its not really his fault that he puts himself in such good position in majors so often. And I disagree that this really proves all that much to begin with. A win is a win.

this course couldn't have played more than 6,500 hundread yards - the fairways were rocks. He realized that he could hit par 5's with an iron off the tee and another iron into the greens

So why didnt the other guys take advantage of this? Where was Phil? At the hamburger stand?

So Tiger won this only because the course was playing so short and the fact he had the lead after 54 holes...again. And also because all his rivals arent as good as Jack's rivals were. Uh huh. Yup. Sure.

Gander
07-24-2006, 01:09 PM
where was he last month at the us open????

How about the fact that it was his first tournament back after losing his Dad? He hardly even picked up a club in May after he lost his greatest influence and best friend. Geez, how about you get a clue and grow a heart.

BellamyRd.
07-24-2006, 02:49 PM
hooray! Tiger wins a major...
it is golf, and it was the British Open
about as interesting as the Rainbow Futurity
which at least had the decency
to be with over in :30 seconds
speaking of 2nds, what's up with DiMarco?
take your golf talk to another board
you white-skinned republican devils!

2MinsToPost
07-24-2006, 03:22 PM
something that needs to be said - every single golfer that tee'ed it up this past week in the British Open played from the same tees on the same course at the same yardage that Tiger did. they got beat.

Gander
07-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Yes but critics like to bash Tiger for any reason they can find. He doesnt close to win golf tournaments, he only wins when hes leading after 54 holes. He hits too many drivers. He hits too many 2 irons and 3 woods and is afraid to hit his driver. The course was set up for him. His competiton isnt what it use to be back when Jack was king. He swears after a bad shot. He didnt knock up another woman and betray his wife. I've heard them all.

whorstman
07-24-2006, 04:17 PM
When Tiger wins 36 majors then I will say he is twice the golfer as Jack

Let him first catch Jack's 18 and then say what you want.

I know one thing Tiger and Jack are both great, but , facts are facts

Tiger has won ALL 11 majors from the front end , he has never won a major coming from the middle of the pack or just near the lead heading into the final round. Winning in front is great to do, Jack has won from the front and lost.

Here is why Jack has to be considered the best of ALL Time for now - He lost majors to multiple hall of famers - if there was no palmer, trevino or watson - Jack's totals go way up - he was runner up 6 or 7 times to these hall of famers. The only runner up that Tiger has been too is Rich Beem i believe.

Wouldn't it be great if Tiger could shoot a 65 one the last day of a major to pass some great players like Jack did in the 86 masters? So far he has been unable to do that. He has been in positions before and just not been able to win from behind - let's see what happens the rest of the way.

Well, 11 in about 10 years, I would say he's in his "prime" now, so we'll give him another 15 in the next 10, and I say he finishes w/ at least 27 total. So I say he at least beats Jack by 9, so we'll say he's a golfer and a half better. BTW, I really think he will have the most in each category too. If you noticed the stats on the winners, a lot of those guys just won 1 or 2 or dominated one of them. Jack right now is the best all time, but when it's said and done, Tiger will be the greatest EVER. He is not even halfway through his career! He's friggin 30! How many do you think he'll win in the next 5 years? There are 20 majors in that time. Very concievable that he catches Jack before his 35th B-day. Pretty crazy I think. He is Scary good. At least you could say he has not disapointed his lofty expectations since busting on the scene in 97 masters.

Seattleallstar
07-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Tiger could beat Jack using a broomstick with a piece of lead attached at the bottom

somerfrost
07-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Tiger could beat Jack using a broomstick with a piece of lead attached at the bottom

Seattle, one such post might have been considered mildly humorous...you've long since made yourself a bore!

whorstman
07-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Seriously, do you guys remember the Tiger and friends where they took one club out of his bag every hole or something like that. He was paring the par 5s w/ his 5-iron! I think they took his putter too.

somerfrost
07-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Tiger is simply amazing...I was a huge fan of Jack's as well. I think the time to compare the two will be when Tiger retires...then we'll see. Jack played against some legends but I think the tour is much deeper today and who knows which current players will join Tiger and Jack on the list of all-time greats. One thing that can't be doubted is that both were/are fine gentlemen and the game is so much the better for them both! Tiger has opened doors for inner city youth and minorities and broken down some of the last bastions of racism in the sport...golf may not excite like other pro sports but it remains the truest to the essence of sport!

SCUDSBROTHER
07-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Well,I don't know why people think it is so important to come from behind on Sunday to win a major.People are under the illusion that doing that is an incredible accomplishment.I do not believe it is as tough to do as holding a lead for 2,or 3 rounds(and dealing with the huge pressure that comes with that.)Would I like to see Tiger come from behind on Sunday to win a major? Yes,but I am not expecting it to happen soon.There is a very good reason for that.This is the most honest athlete I have ever seen.On Thursday,You get everything he has to show you.He is not holding cards.If he can't do it on Thursday,then he probably doesn't have it,but will try as hard as he can to win(anyways.)This is why he gets so many top 5 finishes to go along with his wins.Lets look at something here.Look at this B.C. Open Golf Tournament yesterday.Rollins shoots a 64 on Sunday to come from behind(as the leaders choked)and win it.Now,I guess (from what I read from Tiger's Critics) many think Rollins had a tremendous accomplishment.It is a nice win,but make no mistake about it,he had to deal with about 1% of the pressure that somebody leading a golf tournament has to deal with.I,d like to see Tiger win a big one from behind(it would be far more interesting than watching him put the field to sleep while leading,)but I do not feel it would be as big an accomplishment as when he deals with the pressure of leading a major.After betting golf for a # of years,I think the ability to deal with the pressure( that comes with holding the lead ) is the thing many lack(not a good golf game.)If it was about the best golf game somebody has,you would see a lot different results in these majors.Tiger's golf game is not superior to all that many of these guys,but mentally he just distances them.

Crown@club
07-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Tiger Woods its twice the golfer Jack Nickalus ever was

How I am not surprised. :rolleyes:

And you want $40,000 a year with hardly any work experience

Crown@club
07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Yes but critics like to bash Tiger for any reason they can find. He doesnt close to win golf tournaments, he only wins when hes leading after 54 holes. He hits too many drivers. He hits too many 2 irons and 3 woods and is afraid to hit his driver. The course was set up for him. His competiton isnt what it use to be back when Jack was king. He swears after a bad shot. He didnt knock up another woman and betray his wife. I've heard them all.

You should of heard Erik Kuselias this morning. What a moron!

If anything, this tournament finally made me believe that Tiger has reached Jack's level. That was shot making at his finest. Tiger saw DiMarco coming. Oh by the way DiMarco lost his mother this past month and played well.

whorstman
07-24-2006, 05:53 PM
You should of heard Erik Kuselias this morning. What a moron!

If anything, this tournament finally made me believe that Tiger has reached Jack's level. That was shot making at his finest. Tiger saw DiMarco coming. Oh by the way DiMarco lost his mother this past month and played well.

Hey, let me tell you, DiMarco should be very proud. That was Tiger's "A" game and he was only 2 strokes back. That says something for him. That man will win a major sometime. He has all the respect in the world from me. He is a real gamer.

Crown@club
07-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Hey, let me tell you, DiMarco should be very proud. That was Tiger's "A" game and he was only 2 strokes back. That says something for him. That man will win a major sometime. He has all the respect in the world from me. He is a real gamer.

.....and Tiger showed Chris a lot of respect yesterday. Tiger excelled with class in his comments about Chris.

BellamyRd.
07-24-2006, 07:53 PM
yeah but come on, Tiger beat Chris
if he'd have lost...
I just know when I beat the cripple neighbor boy at basketball
he ALWAYS gets props from me for his stellar play
but when he beats me, well...
he does cheat (and I'm going to start video taping it)

somerfrost
07-24-2006, 08:26 PM
yeah but come on, Tiger beat Chris
if he'd have lost...
I just know when I beat the cripple neighbor boy at basketball
he ALWAYS gets props from me for his stellar play
but when he beats me, well...
he does cheat (and I'm going to start video taping it)

Coach...what exactly is the purpose of your post? Hopefully you aren't comparing yourself to Tiger Woods...that would be tragic!

GPK
07-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Well,I don't know why people think it is so important to come from behind on Sunday to win a major.People are under the illusion that doing that is an incredible accomplishment.I do not believe it is as tough to do as holding a lead for 2,or 3 rounds(and dealing with the huge pressure that comes with that.)Would I like to see Tiger come from behind on Sunday to win a major? Yes,but I am not expecting it to happen soon.There is a very good reason for that.This is the most honest athlete I have ever seen.On Thursday,You get everything he has to show you.He is not holding cards.If he can't do it on Thursday,then he probably doesn't have it,but will try as hard as he can to win(anyways.)This is why he gets so many top 5 finishes to go along with his wins.Lets look at something here.Look at this B.C. Open Golf Tournament yesterday.Rollins shoots a 64 on Sunday to come from behind(as the leaders choked)and win it.Now,I guess (from what I read from Tiger's Critics) many think Rollins had a tremendous accomplishment.It is a nice win,but make no mistake about it,he had to deal with about 1% of the pressure that somebody leading a golf tournament has to deal with.I,d like to see Tiger win a big one from behind(it would be far more interesting than watching him put the field to sleep while leading,)but I do not feel it would be as big an accomplishment as when he deals with the pressure of leading a major.After betting golf for a # of years,I think the ability to deal with the pressure( that comes with holding the lead ) is the thing many lack(not a good golf game.)If it was about the best golf game somebody has,you would see a lot different results in these majors.Tiger's golf game is not superior to all that many of these guys,but mentally he just distances them.

Scuds....I KNOW how much more difficult it is playing with a lead as opposed to being 5-6 shots behind and having to come from behind. Anyone who thinks that his failure to come from behind represents some kind of blemish is sadly mistaken. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass HOW you win 11 majors...the fact that he has that many is incredible in itself...by the age of 30 no less.

BellamyRd.
07-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Coach...what exactly is the purpose of your post? Hopefully you aren't comparing yourself to Tiger Woods...that would be tragic!

well, I have a cooler name than Eldrick!
basically my point was TW is all smiles when he wins
and full of complements
but a big sour puss when he loses
and doesn't express very good sportsmanship

plus I never understood why he's beyond criticism
even Jordan faced a ton of scrutiny
and was twice the sportsman TW is
now there's someone comparable to myself, !

GPK
07-24-2006, 09:07 PM
well, I have a cooler name than Eldrick!
basically my point was TW is all smiles when he wins
and full of complements
but a big sour puss when he loses
and doesn't express very good sportsmanship

plus I never understood why he's beyond criticism
even Jordan faced a ton of scrutiny
and was twice the sportsman TW is
now there's someone comparable to myself, !

What are you talking about???? Tiger is incredibly gracious in defeat. Always...ALWAYS has been very complimentary to the winner when he loses. Ask every PGA Tour player out there if he unsportsmanlike when he loses. No way...I think you are way off base there.

BellamyRd.
07-24-2006, 09:25 PM
fine, you guys are the experts
Golf to me is like a porno film
something I'd rather be doing than watching
even if you're watching the best perform (Ron Jeremy, Tiger Woods, etc.)

pgardn
07-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Tiger is Golf.

This sport is dead on the tube without a guy like him. Folks who dont like golf know him. He is easily on the level of Jordan and Ali. ANdiIn a sport one would never expect for anyone to be able to get on world recognition level.

2Hot4TV
07-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Tiger is Golf.

This sport is dead on the tube without a guy like him. Folks who dont like golf know him. He is easily on the level of Jordan and Ali. ANdiIn a sport one would never expect for anyone to be able to get on world recognition level.
Tiger Woods is going to remembered as the greatest golfer to ever play the game. I do beleive he will rise to the level of Babe Ruth. How can you not be a Tiger Woods fan?