PDA

View Full Version : Larry by the Lake

miraja2
05-05-2008, 05:10 PM
In the first race at Arlington yesterday, the Cali-import Larry by the Lake was absolutely battered around at the start, but the chart describes it as merely him being "squeezed back at the start."
What actually happened is that the #1 horse broke at about a 45 degree angle and smashed into Larry (who was breaking from post 2). Larry then knocked into the #3 horse and was bounced down to the rail. After proceeding along the rail down the backstretch, he swung out and made a big 4-wide move around the turn but flattened out after that to finish second behind the odds-on favorite Luga.
For his first trip over the Arlington-poly, I thought he ran very well, and if he runs against similar next time should be a winner with a better trip.

brianwspencer
05-05-2008, 05:44 PM
In the first race at Arlington yesterday, the Cali-import Larry by the Lake was absolutely battered around at the start, but the chart describes it as merely him being "squeezed back at the start."
What actually happened is that the #1 horse broke at about a 45 degree angle and smashed into Larry (who was breaking from post 2). Larry then knocked into the #3 horse and was bounced down to the rail. After proceeding along the rail down the backstretch, he swung out and made a big 4-wide move around the turn but flattened out after that to finish second behind the odds-on favorite Luga.
For his first trip over the Arlington-poly, I thought he ran very well, and if he runs against similar next time should be a winner with a better trip.

I was sitting upstairs yesterday watching that and am still scratching my head wondering how Luga stays up after that.

brianwspencer
05-05-2008, 05:49 PM
And while I'm here thinking about it, I'm not really sure that he deserves his own thread, but watch out for Biachampion and Star Vector in their next races.

Biachampion didn't have a nasty visual trip like Larry did, but was definitely getting going and got shut off. He didn't make a dramatic check, but had nowhere to go. Once clear, he closed well and had run at the wire. He should be a fair price again next time, and wouldn't surprise me at all.

Also, Star Vector from a maiden race yesterday. GBBob thought it was worse than I did. Visually, it was a crazy big check along the rail as he was making a big move. Practically, the horse was never going anywhere anyway. It's not like he got shut off, he was given a crappy ride and was sent basically onto heels and then had the dramatic check. So I don't think he was winning anyway because the head-on shows he was never going to get through on the inside, if you can excuse the ride, he should be a threat next time out, albeit at odds lower than his 30-1 from yesterday.

GBBob
05-05-2008, 07:52 PM
I was sitting upstairs yesterday watching that and am still scratching my head wondering how Luga stays up after that.

Weren't the owner/trainer you know who and you know what?

miraja2
05-05-2008, 10:25 PM
My wife and I decided to go out there yesterday too.
One of these days this summer we are going to have to meet up with you out there.

It was great to be back out at Arlington yesterday, even if it was an absolute chalkfest. I had a decent day, but it was one of those times when my wife (who spends about 45 seconds "handicapping" each race) ended up having a much better day than I did. That always frustrates me......as did the decision to leave Luga up there after that demolition-derby start.

brianwspencer
05-06-2008, 05:44 PM
My wife and I decided to go out there yesterday too.
One of these days this summer we are going to have to meet up with you out there.

It was great to be back out at Arlington yesterday, even if it was an absolute chalkfest. I had a decent day, but it was one of those times when my wife (who spends about 45 seconds "handicapping" each race) ended up having a much better day than I did. That always frustrates me......as did the decision to leave Luga up there after that demolition-derby start.

It didn't end up being such a chalkfest by the end of the day, you just had to stick it out through the first six races to get to the prices, by which time you had spent all your money trying to beat the chalk up to that point :)

Weren't the owner/trainer you know who and you know what?

Obviously. A pretty egregious non-DQ if I ever saw one. I've seen the AP stewards take a horse down for half that.

the_fat_man
05-06-2008, 06:23 PM
would love to take a look at this but
ever since the CD affiliated tracks changed the format of their websites

I haven't been able to see replays on them. They have a few races from each day on them and the rest on Youwhatever (good luck finding them there).

Guess they figure it doesn't matter to people. And, they're right. It doesn't matter to me; I'll just bet elsewhere.

brianwspencer
05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
Biachampion didn't have a nasty visual trip like Larry did, but was definitely getting going and got shut off. He didn't make a dramatic check, but had nowhere to go. Once clear, he closed well and had run at the wire. He should be a fair price again next time, and wouldn't surprise me at all.

I am so glad I forgot to bump this up.

Horse ran back today, and at 8-1 was much the best while getting....wait for it.....wait for it....a TERRIBLE ride costing him the win. The horse was 2-3 lengths the best in here and ran third instead.

Gotta love a watch horse from a trip coming back at big odds to miss scoring thanks to another bad trip.

The 8-1 should be long gone by the time his next start rolls around.