PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs a little help

jminrod
04-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I have just got into racing and was wandering if anybody had any great places to get good info for a beginner. I listen to Steves show on Channel 126 every chance I get. I purchased a book called Handicapping 101 by Brad Free. ( Only on Chapter 4 ) but if anyone knows of any other books or websites that are worth the time it would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone is heading to an TW or racetrack and wouldn't mind a shadow. I live in NE PA. Thanks Jim

Cajungator26
04-03-2008, 07:14 PM
I like that book a lot. Read Andy Beyer's Picking Winners as well ...

Welcome to the board, by the way. :)

GPK
04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
I have just got into racing and was wandering if anybody had any great places to get good info for a beginner. I listen to Steves show on Channel 126 every chance I get. I purchased a book called Handicapping 101 by Brad Free. ( Only on Chapter 4 ) but if anyone knows of any other books or websites that are worth the time it would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone is heading to an TW or racetrack and wouldn't mind a shadow. I live in NE PA. Thanks Jim

Jim...have you met Mr. A. Very Smartman?

He taught Mr. Free everything he knows. He is secretly the handicapper for Thistledowns. In addition to be an astute handicapper, he also rides harness at Flamboro Downs for the great trainer, Warran T.

Oh yeah...he is currently enrolled at UNC Chapel Hill, where he is engaged to the reigning Holiday Inn Express homecoming queen, KYRIM

Oh yeah..welcome to the board.

Payson Dave
04-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Jim...have you met Mr. A. Very Smartman?

He taught Mr. Free everything he knows. He is secretly the handicapper for Thistledowns. In addition to be an astute handicapper, he also rides harness at Flamboro Downs for the great trainer, Warran T.

Oh yeah...he is currently enrolled at UNC Chapel Hill, where he is engaged to the reigning Holiday Inn Express homecoming queen, KYRIM

Oh yeah..welcome to the board.

ooohhhhhh .... 000000.5 Stevies

ddthetide
04-03-2008, 08:53 PM
rich eng's Horse racing for dummies

skippy3481
04-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Most of beyers books are pretty solid, They'll give you a great foundation into handicapping, just dont drink the kool-aid and fall in love with his numbers.....

the_fat_man
04-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Don't even bother reading anything, it's a waste of time. Rather, do what they do in poker, go ALL IN!!. Act like you know everything, start posting your opinion about all the horses/races, and makes sure you quote Kenny Mayne or Hank Goldberg every so often. You'll fit right in.

I mean, if you really wanted to do the overkill thing, you could start buying someone's figures and include "Beyer number" in every 2nd sentence.

This is an EASY game.

Scav
04-03-2008, 10:31 PM

Exotic Betting by Steven Crist

Six Secrets to successful bettors by Noel Michaels (I think)

Oaklawnfan
04-03-2008, 11:43 PM
I have just got into racing and was wandering if anybody had any great places to get good info for a beginner. I listen to Steves show on Channel 126 every chance I get. I purchased a book called Handicapping 101 by Brad Free. ( Only on Chapter 4 ) but if anyone knows of any other books or websites that are worth the time it would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone is heading to an TW or racetrack and wouldn't mind a shadow. I live in NE PA. Thanks JimWelcome my friend. This is a crazy mine field with a lot of smart and good people sprinkled along the way.

Re: Books, there's a lot out there which are very good. They are, however , sometimes very tough reading. While very informative, they can scare you away from the game. Probably Rich Eng's "Racing for Dummies" is the best. Yes I like Steven Christ's betting the Exotics, and so on, but unless you're prepared for a Master's level trip into racing, it's too early.

Besides books. Just participating in this forum has taught me more than anything else about the sport. I have wagered on horses since I was ten. Today my wife and I own part of a horse and enjoy watching, wagering and just simply guessing on what's going to happen.

To me, that is the fun in the sport.

It's a lot alike life.............. Don't take it too seriously, but try to make the most of it.

Respectfully,
Gary and Sharon

PS. And always go to the track, because that's where you'll really learn;)

deltagulf
04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
also welcome to the derby trail.

a good thing to do is get the racing form and handicap the races at a track.
don't have to wager see if you handicap the race the way it played out..

wac
04-14-2008, 08:58 PM
im pretty new to this as well 5yrs the brad free book is a great read and i would recommend it highly. The Crist book is for a little later on the 6 secrets is a good way to gameplan and try to lay out what your mode of attack should be. GET ON THIS SITE EVERYDAY!!!!! while htere are some on here that attack others,why i dont know, you will find some helpful tidbits