PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Lodging

smuthg
03-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Looking into making a trip to the Spa this summer and was trying to determine where to stay... Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scav
03-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Looking into making a trip to the Spa this summer and was trying to determine where to stay... Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Good luck finding anything now, everything is booked. I am hoping to get there the first weekend in August, but it really depends on how Vegas goes the week before. I would recommend looking 15-20 miles out and driving in.

smuthg
03-27-2008, 11:09 AM
looks like the Hilton and Embassy Suites both have rooms, pricey ($450+ per night) but available. Just so happens that my anniversary is Travers weekend, so not exactly the best weekend to look for rooms...

Scav
03-27-2008, 11:13 AM
looks like the Hilton and Embassy Suites both have rooms, pricey ($450+ per night) but available. Just so happens that my anniversary is Travers weekend, so not exactly the best weekend to look for rooms...

yeah, it is no joke there, at a minimum you are looking at $250-$300...

smuthg
03-27-2008, 11:17 AM
yep... just like L-ville around Derby-time.

paisjpq
03-27-2008, 11:32 AM
I stay at the courtyard marriott....but its expensive, 500 per night I think.

Scav
03-27-2008, 11:54 AM
I stay at the courtyard marriott....but its expensive, 500 per night I think.

BALLA!!

Payson Dave
03-27-2008, 12:04 PM
I never stayed there but have heard that it is nice...it's about 40 minutes north of the Track so the rates may be more reasonable....you will need to call for rates but it looks like they have rooms available...

http://www.lamplightinn.com/

paisjpq
03-27-2008, 12:05 PM
BALLA!!

I stay for free.

kenny p
03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
I stay at The birches on RT.9 in Wilton. This year its 142 a night. Its less than 10 mins. to the track. Nothin fancy but its clean and run by very nice people. Its worth a call.

Bigsmc
03-27-2008, 12:51 PM
I stay for free.

BALLA!!

pmacdaddy
03-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Keep an eye on the Vacation Rentals section of Albany Craigslist.

We are renting a house for a week from a lead I got on there. Worked out way cheaper than hotel.

herkhorse
03-27-2008, 06:11 PM
I live 1hr. 20 min from the track and I will rent you my house for only 18,000.00 for the meet.:cool:

paisjpq
03-27-2008, 06:27 PM
BALLA!!

I guess I should have explained that my father travels constantly for work and he lets me use his accumulated rewards points during the meet.

Rileyoriley
03-27-2008, 07:22 PM
I guess I should have explained that my father travels constantly for work and he lets me use his accumulated rewards points during the meet.

And I thought it was due to your INCREDIBLE biography.:rolleyes:

paisjpq
03-27-2008, 07:28 PM
And I thought it was due to your INCREDIBLE biography.:rolleyes:
:D :D

Swale84
03-27-2008, 07:34 PM
There are numerous hotels in Colonie ( Albany) which is about 30 miles south of Saratoga

Zaf
03-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Albany - Glens Falls area is your best bet. Book Now !

pmacdaddy
03-27-2008, 07:58 PM
I also got a rediculously cheap price at the Crowne Plaza in Albany a couple years back. Think it was like $89 a night. Nice place, bars and resteraunts to walk to.

Monarchos
03-27-2008, 08:30 PM
With these prices I might as well sleep on the side of the road.

-Sparky

Coach Pants
03-27-2008, 08:32 PM

-Sparky
That's strong.

Hickory Hill Hoff
03-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Check the Johnstown, Gloversville and Amsterdam area too... 45 mins. from the track.

Hickory Hill Hoff
03-27-2008, 09:00 PM
I live 1hr. 20 min from the track and I will rent you my house for only 18,000.00 for the meet.:cool:

A lot of nice places to stay between Herkimer and Fort Plain.....:rolleyes: .....real country livin!

Zaf
03-27-2008, 09:00 PM

-Sparky

I'm sure paisjpg would let you crash on the plush carpet of that well heeled establishment :D :D :D

ELA
03-27-2008, 09:34 PM
As far as availability, not that it's a secret or anything, but there is a brand new Hampton Inn going up right across the street from The Parting Glass (Lake Street).

On the good deal side, there is a Best Western on South Broadway, just outside of "downtown". It's somewhat new. Check it out. I've had a few friends get some good deals there.

Eric

hoovesupsideyourhead
03-28-2008, 04:45 AM
i think the dt bed and breakfast is closed this season....:eek:

Cajungator26
03-28-2008, 07:46 AM
I'll be accepting applications, female only, for the bed next to mine in mom's basement.

I would apply, but I doubt I could handle hearing you and Morty all night.

2 Dollar Bill
03-28-2008, 09:05 AM

Try Steve's B. Backyard .. Im not sure of the rates for One tent ? But you do get a coupon for a free meal @ the bbq !!!

GPK
03-28-2008, 10:09 AM
I don't recommend the floor of the albany airport...not very comfy:o

ddthetide
03-28-2008, 10:29 AM
A lot of nice places to stay between Herkimer and Fort Plain.....:rolleyes: .....real country livin!
complete with banjo music in the distance?:rolleyes:

we stayed at the Wingate by albany airport last year. easy to get to, easy off and on the interstate. 15-20 min. straight shot to saratoga.

Sightseek
03-28-2008, 12:03 PM

I can do better than this....I live a 10 min walk from the track and you can camp out on my front lawn for only 9,000.00 for the meet. :D

Hickory Hill Hoff
03-28-2008, 12:05 PM
complete with banjo music in the distance?:rolleyes:

we stayed at the Wingate by albany airport last year. easy to get to, easy off and on the interstate. 15-20 min. straight shot to saratoga.

more like distorted amps blare heavy metal music :D

Sightseek
03-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Good luck finding anything now, everything is booked. I am hoping to get there the first weekend in August, but it really depends on how Vegas goes the week before. I would recommend looking 15-20 miles out and driving in.

That is my favorite weekend of the entire meet. If you're still around on Monday, try to get to the Hall of Fame induction. I'm not sure if yearling sales are your thing, but that is the weekend of F-T SAR too.

Cajungator26
03-28-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't recommend the floor of the albany airport...not very comfy:o

I concur. :D

GPK
03-28-2008, 12:57 PM

^^^made the floor much more comfortable for me:eek:

Scav
03-28-2008, 01:43 PM
That is my favorite weekend of the entire meet. If you're still around on Monday, try to get to the Hall of Fame induction. I'm not sure if yearling sales are your thing, but that is the weekend of F-T SAR too.

Hall of Fame no, but the yearling thing I might check out this year. All depends on how the next couple months go because I doubt I am going to be allowed to take all this time off work, so if I don't have a job, I AM THERE.

TheSpyder
03-28-2008, 03:04 PM
For me the Community Court Motel is the best place and best value. Right next to the Holiday Inn at half the cost. Great location, clean motel, and a great deal. For me being able to park the car and walk to the track as well as downtown makes the trip so much better. Google them as they are on the web..talk to the owner, they always save a few rooms. Should be around $185 a night

Spyder from SCLooking into making a trip to the Spa this summer and was trying to determine where to stay... Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

GPK
03-28-2008, 03:39 PM

Has great "pillows" for comfort:p

Cajungator26
03-28-2008, 03:49 PM

Glad I could oblige. ;)

Storm Cadet
03-29-2008, 09:20 AM

Didn't have to fluff them up too much I hope :eek: :p

GPK
03-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Didn't have to fluff them up too much I hope :eek: :p

Only as much as she would let me Ron:D

Storm Cadet
03-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Only as much as she would let me Ron:D

What nerve on her. I found a picture of Jamie leaving for Saratoga last year from her home!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/kyleforester/Gator.jpg

Cajungator26
03-29-2008, 09:11 PM
What nerve on her. I found a picture of Jamie leaving for Saratoga last year from her home!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/kyleforester/Gator.jpg

Damnitall, I haven't seen those pants since then!

philcski
03-31-2008, 11:57 AM
priceline.com, albany airport. Have paid as low as $40 a night for the Hilton Garden Inn.

And if all else fails I crash on Sightseek's floor. :D

Rudeboyelvis
03-31-2008, 05:32 PM
I don't know how nice/bad/safe it is, but I got a room at the Comfort Inn off exit 15 (about 5 miles from the track) for an avg of 140.00 a night for opening week (Wednesday - Monday) like two weeks ago.

http://www.comfortinn.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=NY372&sid=

XIIPointStables
04-15-2008, 09:44 AM
I concur with the renting. We have a group of 8-12 every year and we get a great house in Gansevoort and it saves a ton.

I have worked with Tom at Racing City Realty in the past and he has been a big help.

-BT-
04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Keep an eye on the Vacation Rentals section of Albany Craigslist.

We are renting a house for a week from a lead I got on there. Worked out way cheaper than hotel.

yeah what he said, there looks like a lot of good deals.

thanks pmac

-bt-

pmacdaddy
04-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Hope it works out for ya. Shoot me a PM if anyone wants email address for the guys we are renting from.

They have a house kinda near Oklahoma and one short drive to track. I have no affiliation and have not rented from them before. His partner on one of the houses does coincidentally live in the same town as me on LI and seems like very nice guy.

We are renting place near Oklahoma 2nd week of meet. Sounds like there is still other weeks open.

Rudeboyelvis
04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
I just scored a garage...errr.."Carriage House"... on Nelson for opening week :cool:

cyberrentals.com

-BT-
04-17-2008, 09:55 AM
I think im gonna bite the bullet get a rental for Travers Week and go from there. I guess the majority of the people on here are going up opening weekend? Anyone planning on travers week/weekend?

-bt-

XIIPointStables
04-29-2008, 05:49 PM
I think im gonna bite the bullet get a rental for Travers Week and go from there. I guess the majority of the people on here are going up opening weekend? Anyone planning on travers week/weekend?

-bt-

I'll be there Travers for sure. Opening Weekend 75/25.

FlBred
05-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Got a room at the Brentwood 2 weeks ago for $225 a night for the weekend before Travers. The place is pretty much a dump but it is prime location, literally right across the street from the back stretch, next to the place which is the popular hangout after the races are over, cant remember the name of the joint./......you can still find some places available if you can sacrifice ammenities and fanciness

Payson Dave
05-10-2008, 01:39 PM
The hangout joint is "The Horseshoe"...Have you stayed at the Brentwood before....that seems like more than a little sacrifice

FlBred
05-10-2008, 01:55 PM
The hangout joint is "The Horseshoe"...Have you stayed at the Brentwood before....that seems like more than a little sacrifice

Yes I have stayed there before.....it has AC, running water and no roaches. That is all I need for Saratoga, dont have to worry about parking or driving, just wheel your cooler over to the track, get our spot and we are ready. If I was looking for a plush luxurious vacation it would not be in Saratoga @ the Brentwood

Storm Cadet
05-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Don't expect to get much sleep at night living directly across the street from the Horseshoe. The music plays LONG and LOUD each night.:o

FlBred
05-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Don't expect to get much sleep at night living directly across the street from the Horseshoe. The music plays LONG and LOUD each night.:o\

who goes to saratoga to sleep? haaaaa

-BT-
05-20-2008, 12:30 PM
has anyone taken a cab from Albany airport to saratoga?
If so how much did it set you back?

I'm trying to decided on whether to take Amtrak or fly into Albany, its about $50 cheaper to fly but i figured i would just eat that in cab fair anyways. Also does anyone have a general idea of how far the Amktrak is away from the race track/downtown?

thanks for all your help

-bt-

SniperSB23
05-20-2008, 12:36 PM

I'm trying to decided on whether to take Amtrak or fly into Albany, its about $50 cheaper to fly but i figured i would just eat that in cab fair anyways. Also does anyone have a general idea of how far the Amktrak is away from the race track/downtown?

thanks for all your help

-bt-

Call a couple cab companies ahead of time to get a rate. If you get in the cab and ask if it is the quoted amount to Saratoga then they'll probably give you the quoted rate or you can go to another cab. If you just go there with no clue they'll probably overcharge you. I cabbed from Saratoga back to Albany a couple years ago and I think it was about $45 for 2 people so you should be able to find a cab company in Albany that will give you a similar rate.

mark2061mn
05-20-2008, 01:24 PM

thanks for all your help

-bt-

The train station in Saratoga is about 3 to 4 miles to the track. closer to 4.

saratogabrit
05-23-2008, 04:27 PM
The train station in Saratoga is about 3 to 4 miles to the track. closer to 4.

The local bus service in Saratoga is now greatly improved and the Amtrak Station (which since the fall has been the Greyhound stop as well) has 2 buses an hour going towards downtown-one stops very close to the Union Avenue entrance to the track.

Greyhound also has a number of services from Albany Airport to Saratoga.

If someone can't get a room-you can drink all night and then head over to Comptons or wait a bit longer for better food at the Country Corner or you could sit in Kinkos on the computer for $12 an hour and then change clothes before going out to get breakfast.

On a serious note-I second the earlier suggestion to use Tom Federlin at Racing City Reality. The 1st place he found me in 2003 was ideal

3kings
06-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Anyone have an idea at how big of a Craphole the Hideaway Hotel in Wilton is? Thanks in advance.

hoovesupsideyourhead
06-22-2008, 08:37 PM
byks bed n breakfast.. wear a dt hat stay 1 nite

3kings
06-23-2008, 06:30 AM

lol........I have a couple t-shirts too, might be good for a few days.:D

ddthetide
06-23-2008, 10:19 AM
how about tents in the backyard?:D

DJK
07-01-2008, 09:42 PM
I can day trip, but if I want to stay one night, I stay in a motel in the Albany airport area. Not that far to the track.

If I stay several days, I toss a tent in the car and camp. Not that I find camping that much fun, but I'm pretty much only at the campground to sleep at night and shower in the morning.

-BT-
07-27-2008, 10:39 PM
its official, i got the saratoga bug. Headed up there from Aug 11-19th. Staying at a place in Malta, says its 9 miles to the gate.

Now my question is...... is taking a cab from Malta to Toga every day just gonna eat away at my bankroll, or do you think it can be manageable? Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place, especially with gas the way it is now. I can get a flight or a train up there for under $200 bucks, but will i end up spending that and more getting toted around the area? As of right now i'm pretty sure im gonna drive so i can come and go as i please.

ANY and ALL input would be much appreciate, thanks in advance

-bt-

gales0678
07-28-2008, 08:14 AM
BT i stayed in Malta last year , it's fine. It's about a 15 - 25 minute ride to the track

I left the car 1 night at the house and took a cab back to Malta , it was about $20 bucks maybe $25, so if you stay 9 days and cab it both ways each day , you are looking at $360 to $450 in trans costs. Altohugh if you are stayin at the big hotel in malta and can get a ride with 2/3 people which is possible at least going to the track you could then maybe cut your costs down a little, maybe you could hook up with them on the way back to , to save some more $$$

There is not much in Malta , but , Bentley's is a good bar to hang out in