PDA

View Full Version : BC shuffles lineup

SniperSB23
02-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Did anyone read this? Makes me want to vomit. They are moving all the female races to Friday. No more BC Distaff, it is now the BC Ladies Classic. :rolleyes:

blackthroatedwind
02-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Has the new BC supposed Marathon been renamed the Manly Mans Classic?

Scav
02-27-2008, 11:11 AM
I wish they would just leave the friggin day alone. They continued mess with stuff and they can't get color friggin saddle cloths.

As I have said before, why do people in this world continue to try and fix things that work fine, and do not fix the things that are broke.....

MaTH716
02-27-2008, 11:12 AM
I guess if you create enough ridiculous races for a 2 day event, you have to stick one of the better races on the first day so people will buy tickets. That's what it is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

smootsirvin
02-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Don't they know some of us work on Friday?

They should run it Saturday, Sunday if they want to do this.

It's almost as if every decision is geared toward ruining what used to be a good thing.

I am unbelievably disgusted by this.

NoLuvForPletch
02-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I guess if you create enough ridiculous races for a 2 day event, you have to stick one of the better races on the first day so people will buy tickets. That's what it is all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

They will make it mandatory to buy both days regardless. They did the same thing with the Acorn, moving it off of Belmont Day because they wanted to make it a "festival" Result...not as many people get to see the Acorn.

This quite possibly is the dumbest thing I've ever seen, moving the Distaff off of Breeders Cup Day.

Here is the schedule:

2008 Breeders’ Cup Schedule of Races:

Friday, October 24
$2 million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies
$1 million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf
$1 million Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint
$2 million Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Turf
$2 million Breeders’ Cup Ladies Classic

Saturday, October 25
$1 million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf
$1 million Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile
$1 million Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint
$2 million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile
$2 million Breeders’ Cup Sprint
$2 million Breeders’ Cup Mile
$3 million Breeders’ Cup Turf
$5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic
$500,000 Breeders’ Cup Marathon

Hickory Hill Hoff
02-27-2008, 11:21 AM
so much for women's ...I mean "filly & mares" rights

Coach Pants
02-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Blame Churchill Downs for giving morons the authority to try and emulate them.

Scav
02-27-2008, 11:25 AM

It's almost as if every decision is geared toward ruining what used to be a good thing.

You are right. This decision is made by someone in the industry, someone who is around racing all day. They aren't considering the people that have to work on Friday or are expecting them to put in wagers early

XIIPointStables
02-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Where can I e-mail, call, fax text et. all to complain???

Awful.

NoLuvForPletch
02-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Where can I e-mail, call, fax text et. all to complain???

Awful.

These guys were listed as contacts on the BC press release, with their cell numbers no less.

Contacts: Jim Gluckson, Breeders' Cup, 646-335-6835 (Cell); Jason Howarth, Conover Tuttle Pace, 617-412-4000/508-353-0063 (Cell)

MaTH716
02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
I hate the 2 day format period, but if it is a must then they should card all the juvenile races and the marathon for day one. The could market it as come see the future stars of the sport on Day 1. (also the future 30k claimers that will be running on the inner track next week!)

blackthroatedwind
02-27-2008, 12:07 PM
In a funny way, since personally I am not a big fan of the BC, I find these changes amusing. However, from a larger perspective they are unfortunate for a variety of reasons. Call it selfish, but I think comparable races, like the 2YO dirt races, should be run on the same day for comparative purposes. One could say the same thing about the two sprints and thus moving one of them might have actually made sense.

Renaming the Distaff sounds like some marketing genius's idea, someone who knows nothing about racing, saying " people don't know what Distaff means " when in actuality it is only that person that doesn't know. Perhaps they can take this one step further and rename fillies " debutantes " and mares " ladies. "

brianwspencer
02-27-2008, 12:08 PM
wow.

it just gets better.

letswastemoney
02-27-2008, 12:18 PM
So Rags to Riches...Nashoba's Key...Zenyatta....Magnificence...Country Star..Ginger Punch...Lear's Princess maybe...

are on a Friday? :confused:

SniperSB23
02-27-2008, 12:21 PM
So Rags to Riches...Nashoba's Key...Zenyatta....Magnificence...Country Star..Ginger Punch...Lear's Princess maybe...

are on a Friday? :confused:

Yeah, I'm sure the Ouija Board's of the world can't wait to ship in for the prestige of running on a weekday.

The Bid
02-27-2008, 12:22 PM
You think those are weekend horses?

sumitas
02-27-2008, 12:34 PM

If you are on the east coast you may like a 4 pm start to the races, eastern time, on a Friday.

Scav
02-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I'm sure the Ouija Board's of the world can't wait to ship in for the prestige of running on a weekday.

I didn't even think about that. That would absolutely suck if people had to miss a horse like that becuase it was on a friday....Friggin morons....

Seriously, they really need to hire me to market this friggin sport, at least I would have a minor clue of what is going on.

Scav
02-27-2008, 12:56 PM
If you are on the east coast you may like a 4 pm start to the races, eastern time, on a Friday.

So what happens when they run on the west coast, they going to start in California at 4pm, thus 6pm in New York.

This is stupid. If they want all these races, then run it on Saturday and SUNDAY, problem is that they won't run the big races on Sunday, so they have to choose Friday as the designated day and hope people use their vacation time.....

I am all for BC races, I like the day and the value it presents, but soon, they are going to have a NW3 BC Claimer Championship on BC Day

Bystander
02-27-2008, 01:00 PM
In a funny way, since personally I am not a big fan of the BC, I find these changes amusing. However, from a larger perspective they are unfortunate for a variety of reasons. Call it selfish, but I think comparable races, like the 2YO dirt races, should be run on the same day for comparative purposes. One could say the same thing about the two sprints and thus moving one of them might have actually made sense.

Renaming the Distaff sounds like some marketing genius's idea, someone who knows nothing about racing, saying " people don't know what Distaff means " when in actuality it is only that person that doesn't know. Perhaps they can take this one step further and rename fillies " debutantes " and mares " ladies. "

Your "marketing genius" has his cell phne listed above, per Noluvforpletch's post. Connover Tuttle Pace is an ad agency in Boston, Chip Tuttle's group, actually, who are responsible for the "who do you like today" NTRA campaign.

Brilliant.

paisjpq
02-27-2008, 01:14 PM
So what happens when they run on the west coast, they going to start in California at 4pm, thus 6pm in New York. This is stupid. If they want all these races, then run it on Saturday and SUNDAY, problem is that they won't run the big races on Sunday, so they have to choose Friday as the designated day and hope people use their vacation time.....

I am all for BC races, I like the day and the value it presents, but soon, they are going to have a NW3 BC Claimer Championship on BC Day

not to nitpick....but 4pm west coast is 7 pm in NY

Alan07
02-27-2008, 01:23 PM
They will make it mandatory to buy both days regardless. They did the same thing with the Acorn, moving it off of Belmont Day because they wanted to make it a "festival" Result...not as many people get to see the Acorn.

Pssst... The Acorn is run 2 races before the Belmont

blackthroatedwind
02-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Your "marketing genius" has his cell phne listed above, per Noluvforpletch's post. Connover Tuttle Pace is an ad agency in Boston, Chip Tuttle's group, actually, who are responsible for the "who do you like today" NTRA campaign.

Brilliant.

I'm well aware. I think everyone on the board should give Chip a call.

ateamstupid
02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Pardon my french, but you gotta be shittin' me.

Linny
02-27-2008, 01:56 PM
BTW, I don't think most folks know what a debutante is either.

blackthroatedwind
02-27-2008, 01:59 PM
BTW, I don't think most folks know what a debutante is either.

Good point.....how about young chicky?

Coach Pants
02-27-2008, 02:04 PM
The BC Lolitas

SniperSB23
02-27-2008, 02:07 PM
The BC Lolitas

The best part is Grey Goose is the sponsor.

TheSpyder
02-27-2008, 02:08 PM
They should take a hint from Calder and run two races at the same time, one turf and one dirt and then have them all race on the same day....hope they don't see this as they may do it.

It makes you shutter to think what BC will be in 10 years.

SniperSB23
02-27-2008, 02:10 PM
It makes you shutter to think what BC will be in 10 years.

How about just next year? This move is clearly situating them to take the next step and have a female equivalent on Friday for all 9 of the male races on Saturday.

SniperSB23
02-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Seeing fields like the G2 Gulfstream Park Handicap really make you realize how important it is to continue to add BC races because we have such a plethora of great horses out there.

NoLuvForPletch
02-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Pssst... The Acorn is run 2 races before the Belmont

Yes you are correct...It currently resides on Belmont Day...But from
99-04 is was part of the Belmont Stakes festival and was run on Friday.

Antitrust32
02-27-2008, 02:43 PM
filly and mare marathon at 1 1/2 miles, i cant wait for that to be added! rags would race til she's 25.

Scav
02-27-2008, 03:21 PM
not to nitpick....but 4pm west coast is 7 pm in NY

whatever the **** the time difference is, they are better off with a bunch of 7th graders in their first business class making these decisions

ateamstupid
02-27-2008, 03:23 PM
whatever the **** the time difference is, they are better off with a bunch of 7th graders in their first business class making these decisions

You can't volunteer yourself twice.

KirisClown
02-27-2008, 03:35 PM
"Ladies Classic" I don't know if I should laugh or puke...

They should have BC Divisions based on horse color next...

horseofcourse
02-27-2008, 03:38 PM

Well, if they had a race with all grays...5,000 people would die of heart attacks on the spot from over stimulation, so nix that idea!! It would be way, way too much for many people to handle.

kgar311
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, if they had a race with all grays...5,000 people would die of heart attacks on the spot from over stimulation, so nix that idea!! It would be way, way too much for many people to handle.

They have the Grey Jug(all greys) at Monticello the weekend of the Little Brown Jug, harness racing for anyone who doesnt know, and I dont think there have been any confirmed deaths yet! So I think the BC should go for it!! Its already ruined.

AeWingnut
02-27-2008, 03:46 PM

there are races for greys
maybe it was Calder

AeWingnut
02-27-2008, 03:52 PM
they are turning horse racing into baseball's world series. Where more is less.

I'm sure there are arguments against this but...
I miss when the BC was held at the 2nd tier tracks. Woodbine, Lone Star...
Not everyone is into huge crowds.

I just had a thought.. they could have the BC at 2 or 3 different tracks on the same day

smootsirvin
02-27-2008, 03:57 PM
maybe it was Calder

Yeah they run the greys at Calder on Freakshow Day or whatever they call it. They have the aforementioned 2 races at once, a race for 5yoandup (The Methusalah, i'm not kidding), a wrongway race, a 2 furlong race.

Man we could have FOUR days of racing with male and female versions of all of those!!!!!!!

blackthroatedwind
02-27-2008, 03:58 PM
I just had a thought.. they could have the BC at 2 or 3 different tracks on the same day

It is logistically impossible for riders and connections.

philcski
02-27-2008, 04:00 PM
maybe it was Calder

There's one at the Meadowlands every year on Halloween as well.

SentToStud
02-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah they run the greys at Calder on Freakshow Day or whatever they call it. They have the aforementioned 2 races at once, a race for 5yoandup (The Methusalah, i'm not kidding), a wrongway race, a 2 furlong race.

Man we could have FOUR days of racing with male and female versions of all of those!!!!!!!You left out the most important "race within a race" where they paid based on the leader at the 1/2 mile pole.

I have cashed every time they have offered that race.

smootsirvin
02-27-2008, 04:08 PM
You left out the most important "race within a race" where they paid based on the leader at the 1/2 mile pole.

I have cashed every time they have offered that race.

Knew I was forgetting one. As I recall they had terrible rain this year. Had to reschedule and then the weather was pretty rotten the second day, too. If I recall the same horse one both "halves" of that race within a race.

NoLuvForPletch
02-27-2008, 05:12 PM
While they are at it they should add a race for horses with a mystery equipment change, to be announced during the post parade.

blackthroatedwind
02-27-2008, 05:13 PM
While we they are at it they should add a race for horses with mystery equipment change, to be announced during the post parade.

There is certainly no shortage of preps for this one.

miraja2
02-27-2008, 05:34 PM
I think it obvious that they did it this year so Indian Blessing could pull off the Distaff (or whatever it is called now) - Classic double.
They knew the only thing standing in her way was the fact that the races were on the same day.
Now she should have no problem winning both races easily.

I must admit, as a confirmed hater of the BC, I rather enjoy watching it implode in this manner.

Linny
02-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Maybe Golden Man can win 2 BC races this year.

Danzig
02-27-2008, 06:30 PM
once upon a time, i thought a two day festival (on saturday and sunday) would be pretty cool.

i have since changed my mind. now they just need to change it from the BC, and call it the BS-it would certainly be more fitting to call it what it has become.

what, are they offering bonuses to whomever can come up with the worst bc plan?!

Monarchos1
02-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Maybe the BC can aquire the Claiming Crown and run those races on Thursday since they are so intent on making this a festival.

DelKev
02-27-2008, 07:21 PM
In an industry that is trying to play to a younger audience such a move seems way old fashioned. Creating a Ladies Day? Gimme a break.
I also think it is annoying that they move these races to Friday. Like many horseracing fans, I have a job. Why not do Saturday and Sunday? Afraid to compete with the NFL? I would watch BC day over the NFL without hesitation.

letswastemoney
02-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Can't they just call it the Fillies and Mares Classic?

hi_im_god
02-27-2008, 07:48 PM
In an industry that is trying to play to a younger audience such a move seems way old fashioned. Creating a Ladies Day? Gimme a break.
I also think it is annoying that they move these races to Friday. Like many horseracing fans, I have a job. Why not do Saturday and Sunday? Afraid to compete with the NFL? I would watch BC day over the NFL without hesitation.

you and dozen's of other's.

hi_im_god
02-27-2008, 07:51 PM
bad news for the nfl.

just checked the lacrosse board and they're ready to take them on too.

Monarchos1
02-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Given all of the marketing efforts that the BC is supposedly tying to this new day, I suppose the next assinine decision they'll make is to have uniform pink saddlecloths on Friday.

Coach Pants
02-27-2008, 10:56 PM
What in the hell is wrong with you?

letswastemoney
02-27-2008, 11:14 PM
What in the hell is wrong with you?Not everyone likes football.....

Danzig
02-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Not everyone likes football.....

oh, the humanity.

i would flip back and forth...or do split screen, with sound on football-who needs a race caller when you can tell who's doing what by watching the saddle towe........oh, hehe...maybe sound on the races.

docicu3
02-27-2008, 11:24 PM
I am surprised that no one has brought up the #'s and those damn purple saddle cloths.....you want to change something and be progressive and radical!

#1 RED
#2 WHITE
#3 BlUE
#4 YELLOW
#5 GREEN........etc etc etc!

dylbert
02-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Has the new BC supposed Marathon been renamed the Manly Mans Classic?Never seen a "MANLY" gelding yet!

NoLuvForPletch
02-28-2008, 05:54 AM
Given all of the marketing efforts that the BC is supposedly tying to this new day, I suppose the next assinine decision they'll make is to have uniform pink saddlecloths on Friday.

If they havn't thought of it yet, they will before October 24th

miraja2
02-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Not everyone likes football.....
I waste a couple of hours a day on a horse racing message board and yet even I would pick the NFL over the BC. That should tell you something.

I would have rather watched a pre-season Arena League game than some of the BC races from this past year.

I think I would rather watch two blind people play the old football video game 10-Yard Fight on a 12 inch, black-and-white television than watch the new Juvenile Filly Turf race.

DelKev
02-28-2008, 11:16 AM
What in the hell is wrong with you?
A regular season NFL weekend over one of the best days in racing? As watered down as the BC is becoming it is still more compelling then the over-hyped, arrogance driven NFL. Only a Giants fan could be so hyped about the NFL at this time of year.

SniperSB23
02-28-2008, 01:26 PM
It is logistically impossible for riders and connections.

Not impossible, would just force some very tough decisions and a lot of rider changes. Bad idea but certainly possible.

blackthroatedwind
02-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Not impossible, would just force some very tough decisions and a lot of rider changes. Bad idea but certainly possible.

Of course it's " possible " but, as you said, it's a bad idea for these obvious reasons. The other major reason is that the fairest thing is to have everyone competing on the same surface.

SniperSB23
02-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Of course it's " possible " but, as you said, it's a bad idea for these obvious reasons. The other major reason is that the fairest thing is to have everyone competing on the same surface.

Would be nice if one of those surfaces they were actually competing on was dirt.

blackthroatedwind
02-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Yes it would.

Riot
02-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Ridiculous pink saddlecloths for the "ladies" on Friday wouldn't surprise me a bit. Might help for a few thousands to send an e-mail with their comments to breederscup@breederscup.com

But I doubt it. The reply I received was:

Thank you for your recent email to the Breeders’ Cup.

The decision to move the filly and mare Championships to Friday was made to provide a showcase for the world’s best Thoroughbred female athletes, to position the Ladies’ Classic as the finale of its own Championship day and to provide fans with a better understanding of the races that make up our two-day World Championships. We believe it will help draw new fans to our sport and our event -- and give us an opportunity to raise funds for worthy non-profit organizations.

We recognize that not everyone will agree with our decision; and the Breeders’ Cup management certainly respects your opinion. We hope that you will give this new format and Championship day a chance and remain interested in the variety of activities surrounding the 25th running of the Breeders’ Cup in October.

Sincerely,

Breeders’ Cup Limited

AeWingnut
02-28-2008, 04:34 PM
We believe it will help draw new fans to our sport and our event -- and give us an opportunity to raise funds for worthy non-profit organizations.

this is a head scratcher. How in the world are they going to get new fans to the sport on a friday when the old fans aren't excited about using vacation day to attend or wager on a watered down event.

I hear people say they hate the Breeder's Cup. I can't imagine what there is to hate about the original format. Maybe these people are now in charge of the event.

Seriously it makes no sense. What next? Tom Petty in the infield? Fireworks?
I don't have anything against Tom Petty or fireworks. I just don't see how that promotes the sport. People that show up for the other stuff aren't going to become fans. They are just going to ruin it for the people that are.

Pink -race for the cure- saddle clothes.. I almost expect it.

DelKev
02-28-2008, 04:52 PM
the Breeders’ Cup management certainly respects your opinion

Is that so? Has anyone on the list been asked by the BC managment their opinion? If they respected our opinion don't you think they would ask for it at some point? Maybe I am just out of the loop.

blackthroatedwind
02-28-2008, 05:14 PM
the Breeders’ Cup management certainly respects your opinion

Is that so? Has anyone on the list been asked by the BC managment their opinion? If they respected our opinion don't you think they would ask for it at some point? Maybe I am just out of the loop.

That's way too much common sense. Get with the program.

Coach Pants
02-28-2008, 05:40 PM
A regular season NFL weekend over one of the best days in racing? As watered down as the BC is becoming it is still more compelling then the over-hyped, arrogance driven NFL. Only a Giants fan could be so hyped about the NFL at this time of year.
The BC is the most "over-hyped, arrogance driven" product in horse racing. It has completely gutted some of the finest races in the history of the game and helped contribute to the sparse appearances of the greatest athletes in the sport.

I could go on for hours about how horrible it is as a sporting event but I won't. The one thing they could do to improve the product is have a paddock reporter that doesn't look like a raccoon.

brockguy
02-28-2008, 05:43 PM
I dont think its a terrible idea to have top quality racing on 2 days to make it more of a festival. I think Dubai is going to go that way as well with a 2 day World Cup event, but I think calling it the Ladies Classic is just stupid dumbing down of horse racing (along with world thoroughbred championships) and puts off many racing fans..

Coach Pants
02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah another great sporting event...The Dubai World Cup. :rolleyes:

brockguy
02-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Yeah another great sporting event...The Dubai World Cup. :rolleyes:
why?

Coach Pants
02-28-2008, 05:54 PM
why?

Can I answer this after Curlin's 4 year old campaign? Thanks.

brockguy
02-28-2008, 05:58 PM
well would you rather prefer Curlin facing mediocre horse for the first half of the year than facing a field with a number of worth opponents? Dubai is what racing should be..

Coach Pants
02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
well would you rather prefer Curlin facing mediocre horse for the first half of the year than facing a field with a number of worth opponents? Dubai is what racing should be..

Yes I'd rather him be in America taking it easy and preparing for the rest of the year instead of going to that cursed desert shithole and winning a race against a few South American nags and Euro turfers who have no business in the race to begin with.

brockguy
02-28-2008, 06:05 PM
grand so.. you want him back in the states facing nothing with his whole year geared towards the most "over-hyped, arrogance driven" product in horse racing.

Coach Pants
02-28-2008, 06:08 PM
grand so.. you want him back in the states facing nothing with his whole year geared towards the most "over-hyped, arrogance driven" product in horse racing.
Just what exactly is he facing in the sandpit?

And really if there wasn't a Breeders Cup and Dubai World Cup and instead was a system in place that awarded number of wins (wow what a ****ing concept) then chances are he would be facing some decent stock.

But wtf do I know? It's obvious the majority want these two overhyped sissy events.

brockguy
02-28-2008, 06:22 PM
the main guys are probably
asiatic boy - unbeaten in dubai
latency - 7 times G1 winner
happy boy - maktoum round 1 winner
vermillion - Japan Cup Dirt winner last year triple G1 winner.
literato - your token euro turfer albeit G1 winner

I think you have to have a few signature races during the year. Plus by putting in some substantial purse increases, they are slowly but surely trying (at least) to keep more of the bigger names in the game for longer. Do you not like the idea of the best horses around the globe competing in a country outside the US?

miraja2
02-28-2008, 06:24 PM

I think you have to have a few signature races during the year. Plus by putting in some substantial purse increases, they are slowly but surely trying (at least) to keep more of the bigger names in the game for longer. Do you not like the idea of the best horses around the globe competing in a country outside the US?

The point is that it would be nice if the entire handicap divison in the United States did not completely revolve around only two races each year with everything else (including little races like the JCGC) being considered only as some sort of "prep." As for increasing purse sizes to keep the big horses running.....how is that working out so far?

I hate the DWC......almost as much as I hate the BC.

brockguy
02-28-2008, 06:30 PM
well how many races do you think it should revolve around? throw in the Travers (EDIT.. confusing myself.. something like the Whitney!!) in the summer and you have 3 big races to aim for during the year... I dont think we'll be seeing the days of horses racing 10+ times at G1 level again..

Dubai just announced a big increase to its turf races for this year, the Arc did the same. Things in this game change slowly.. for example with Filly and Mares over in Europe, after their 3yo season, there was very little for them to acheive. They either retired or went to the states. Europe invested money and put on more Graded races for older fillies and mares and have reaped the rewards but it did take a few years for it to happen..

Coach Pants
02-28-2008, 06:30 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with an international race being held in a country that allows gambling, boozing, and strongly enforces and prosecutes men striking women in public.

miraja2
02-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Things in this game change slowly.. for example with Filly and Mares over in Europe, after their 3yo season, there was very little for them to acheive. They either retired or went to the states. Europe invested money and put on more Graded races for older fillies and mares and have reaped the rewards but it did take a few years for it to happen..
I disagree.
They have been going down the toilet very rapidly.

blackthroatedwind
02-28-2008, 06:46 PM
The fault doesn't lie in Dubai for putting on a huge day of racing. They should be credited for putting together a huge international event, as should the Far East for their respective events, and it is only our arogance in taking for granted that somehow our racing is the best in the world, and our refusal to cater to the connections in a way even remotely similar to our international counterparts, that has put us farther and farther behind on the world stage.

freddymo
02-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Maybe Golden Man can win 2 BC races this year.

OUTSTANDING

Danzig
02-28-2008, 07:04 PM
The fault doesn't lie in Dubai for putting on a huge day of racing. They should be credited for putting together a huge international event, as should the Far East for their respective events, and it is only our arogance in taking for granted that somehow our racing is the best in the world, and our refusal to cater to the connections in a way even remotely similar to our international counterparts, that has put us farther and farther behind on the world stage.

it's really a shame that we took a great idea and then have others take that idea and then show us how it REALLY should be done. now we need to take a page or two from their book.

why didn't the bc build a festival day around the ky derby? it wouldn't have taken away from that race, but may have been a great vehicle to build a world cup day around.

freddymo
02-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Even I van't argue this is a good idea.. Two days is just too weird for me.. I liked going both days and will enjoy it again in October but it does seem poorly thought out! The handle is going to explode but mostly because of quanity not quality.

my miss storm cat
02-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Yes I'd rather him be in America taking it easy and preparing for the rest of the year instead of going to that cursed desert shithole and winning a race against a few South American nags and Euro turfers who have no business in the race to begin with.
You are kidding, right?

my miss storm cat
02-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Oh I didn't see this post.

Perfect.

Coach Pants
02-28-2008, 08:33 PM
You are kidding, right?
The World Cup is basically a competition between Dubai and the United States at this point. And I see no benefit for our horses going over there because they come back here and run like ****. I'm sick of it. The place is nothing more than a graveyard of champions at this point. No offense to Saratoga...

SniperSB23
02-28-2008, 09:34 PM
In my opinion, this move no longer gives Breeders Cup Saturday the distinction of being the best day of racing in the world. The main thing distinguishing the BC from the World Cup was the top quality races of both sexes. Without the female races on Saturday can anyone really make the argument that BC Saturday is a better day of racing than the Dubai World Cup? The dirt races draw the top American horses anyways and the turf races draw far better horses than the Breeders Cup does.

Merlinsky
02-28-2008, 10:35 PM
There are just several reasons not to like this. I mean having KY Oaks day is just something I'm used to but I still don't like the fillies seeming to be a lead up to a bigger prize just because they're gals. "Ladies Classic"? gimme a break. I wanna hear Kenny Mayne's take on the name change.

I'd rather they split it other ways. Not that it'd be great to have the Juvenile on a different day or say a day of turf races and move them off the big day. And not that having that many races that they have a split is great either. I feel like this diminishes the Distaff and I resent whoever thought the audience would get bigger if we didn't have to ponder what Distaff meant.

They wanna make this a festival? Do it up right at Hialeah on a great big day of racing and cut out the back to back 'lady business' at Santa Anita.