PDA

View Full Version : SA P6 Winner: $4,320 play (8x1x6x5x1x9)

Kasept
02-21-2008, 05:15 AM
The Meadowlands released this statement about "D", the NYC horseplayer who netted the SA P6 carryover Monday ($2.4MM after taxes)... He's hit for $500k before, and focuses on P6 C/O's. Very interesting and provides further support for what we all are trying to do when we practice on the C/O's with the Contests...

Edited Press Release

The lone winner of Santa Anita’s $3.1 million Pick 6 on Monday purchased his ticket at the Meadowlands Racetrack. The $4,320 ticket yielded a $3,120,256 payout, a Santa Anita record. The winner netted $2,381,423 after federal and state taxes. He also cashed the $7,786 five-of-six consolation payout 24 times, for another $186,878. A three-day carryover of $1,269,223 heading into the Monday Pick 6, combined with the $3,337,881 that was bet during the card, resulted in a total pool of $4,607,104. Santa Anita’s Pick 6 requires players to pick the winners of the final six races on the card.

The winner is a New York City resident and entrepreneur who wished to remain known only as “D.” He was, however, willing to discuss how he approached Santa Anita’s record Pick 6. His ticket was the following: (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10) with (1) with (4, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12) with (1, 4, 5, 7, 9) with (3) with (1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13). D singled the favorites in two races, Norway House ($4.40) in the sixth and Medjool ($8.20) in the ninth. “I thought the No. 1 was the standout in the second leg,” he said. “Normally, I only single one horse on the ticket. [Race nine] was an open race. [Medjool] was the favorite and was 5-1, then went off at 3-1. I didn’t feel totally confident that he would win, but I felt he had shown the most ability at the distance. If I didn’t single another horse I would not have had an affordable ticket.

“In the first leg, I really liked the No. 4 horse,” he added. “If he went with shorter odds, I might have singled him, but he went off at 13-1 and I didn’t want to be dead in the first leg.” The biggest upsets in the sequence were Mymomawzafandancer, a first-time starter who paid $47 in race seven, and Paparazzi Charm, who paid $69.60 in race 10. “In the maiden race (race 7), I had a lot of negatives against a lot of the ones that had run before,” he said. “These were low profile connections, but the filly showed good works at Hollywood. Then I just hoped for the longest shot in the last race.

D’s prayers were answered when jockey Saul Arias and Paparazzi Charm, a 33-1 shot who had not raced since June, came flying from between rivals to win the last leg. “Many horseplayers would not play a horse off a layoff like that,” he noted. “The jockey [Arias] does not win that much because he does not get that many live horses, but when he does, they are longshots. I try to put in horses that have some remote possibilities. Otherwise, it’s not going to pay anything.”

Luck certainly appears to be on D’s side. He purchased a $4000 betting voucher when he arrived Monday afternoon at the Meadowlands. However, when he went to make his Pick 6 bet, he realized it totaled $4,320. He searched his pockets and came up with an additional $331 – giving him just enough to make the bet and buy a couple of hot dogs for lunch. D is a regular horseplayer who has had several significant scores in the past. He hit a $500,000 Pick 6 at Del Mar, along with one of the largest in Churchill Downs’ history.

“I’ve been playing horses for a long time, so it does not really change anything for me,” he said. “I’m getting married in three weeks, so it is great timing. I am still in shock. There are large syndicates playing the Pick 6 and I am sure there were syndicates who put in $40,000 or $50,000 into the pool. The Pick 6 has been very tough lately. All the canceled dates because of the weather have produced huge fields at Santa Anita. There are a lot of longshots, horses coming off different racing surfaces, layoffs. It becomes a lot trickier. I play the Pick 6 when there are large carryovers. I focus a few hours on handicapping and only focus on the Pick 6 races.”

golfer
02-21-2008, 05:37 AM
For whatever it's worth, he's a Ragozin sheets user (as reported on their website).

zippyneedsawin
02-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Good stuff, thanks for posting it, Steve.

fpsoxfan
02-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Very glad to hear that it wasn't a large syndicate. It's a great story.

miraja2
02-21-2008, 07:50 AM
The amazing part of the story for me is the part where it says, "he searched his pockets and came up with an additional $331."
If I searched my pockets I'd usually find my keys, an empty wallet, and maybe about 65 cents in loose change.

mrmikegap
02-21-2008, 08:35 AM
The amazing part of the story for me is the part where it says, "he searched his pockets and came up with an additional $331."
If I searched my pockets I'd usually find my keys, an empty wallet, and maybe about 65 cents in loose change.

At least you find 65 cents, I usually find lint, or losing tickets that went through the washing machine.

Martin
02-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Thats nice to hear but having 2 singles on a 4300.00 ticket wow!!!

Coach Pants
02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah he's just a normal horse player.

:rolleyes:

Mortimer
02-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Golly...who could that mysterious "D" guy ...be?

;)

Coach Pants
02-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Golly...who could that mysterious "D" guy ...be?

;)
Dixie Porter

Mortimer
02-21-2008, 03:19 PM
^^^ Whistled Dixie.

Coach Pants
02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
^^^ Whistled Dixie.
^^^Still bitter over Cunningham_Pacing's departure from Nerdy Trail.

Mortimer
02-21-2008, 03:46 PM
^^^ Secretly a HUGE Flying Turns aficionado.

Coach Pants
02-21-2008, 03:53 PM
^^^New Mexico bred enthusiast

Scav
02-21-2008, 04:01 PM
The Meadowlands released this statement about "D", the NYC horseplayer who netted the SA P6 carryover Monday ($2.4MM after taxes)... He's hit for $500k before, and focuses on P6 C/O's. Very interesting and provides further support for what we all are trying to do when we practice on the C/O's with the Contests...

Edited Press Release

The lone winner of Santa Anita’s $3.1 million Pick 6 on Monday purchased his ticket at the Meadowlands Racetrack. The $4,320 ticket yielded a $3,120,256 payout, a Santa Anita record. The winner netted $2,381,423 after federal and state taxes. He also cashed the $7,786 five-of-six consolation payout 24 times, for another $186,878. A three-day carryover of $1,269,223 heading into the Monday Pick 6, combined with the $3,337,881 that was bet during the card, resulted in a total pool of $4,607,104. Santa Anita’s Pick 6 requires players to pick the winners of the final six races on the card.

The winner is a New York City resident and entrepreneur who wished to remain known only as “D.” He was, however, willing to discuss how he approached Santa Anita’s record Pick 6. His ticket was the following: (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10) with (1) with (4, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12) with (1, 4, 5, 7, 9) with (3) with (1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13). D singled the favorites in two races, Norway House ($4.40) in the sixth and Medjool ($8.20) in the ninth. “I thought the No. 1 was the standout in the second leg,” he said. “Normally, I only single one horse on the ticket. [Race nine] was an open race. [Medjool] was the favorite and was 5-1, then went off at 3-1. I didn’t feel totally confident that he would win, but I felt he had shown the most ability at the distance. If I didn’t single another horse I would not have had an affordable ticket.

“In the first leg, I really liked the No. 4 horse,” he added. “If he went with shorter odds, I might have singled him, but he went off at 13-1 and I didn’t want to be dead in the first leg.” The biggest upsets in the sequence were Mymomawzafandancer, a first-time starter who paid $47 in race seven, and Paparazzi Charm, who paid $69.60 in race 10. “In the maiden race (race 7), I had a lot of negatives against a lot of the ones that had run before,” he said. “These were low profile connections, but the filly showed good works at Hollywood. Then I just hoped for the longest shot in the last race.

D’s prayers were answered when jockey Saul Arias and Paparazzi Charm, a 33-1 shot who had not raced since June, came flying from between rivals to win the last leg. “Many horseplayers would not play a horse off a layoff like that,” he noted. “The jockey [Arias] does not win that much because he does not get that many live horses, but when he does, they are longshots. I try to put in horses that have some remote possibilities. Otherwise, it’s not going to pay anything.”

Luck certainly appears to be on D’s side. He purchased a $4000 betting voucher when he arrived Monday afternoon at the Meadowlands. However, when he went to make his Pick 6 bet, he realized it totaled $4,320. He searched his pockets and came up with an additional $331 – giving him just enough to make the bet and buy a couple of hot dogs for lunch. D is a regular horseplayer who has had several significant scores in the past. He hit a $500,000 Pick 6 at Del Mar, along with one of the largest in Churchill Downs’ history.

“I’ve been playing horses for a long time, so it does not really change anything for me,” he said. “I’m getting married in three weeks, so it is great timing. I am still in shock. There are large syndicates playing the Pick 6 and I am sure there were syndicates who put in $40,000 or $50,000 into the pool. The Pick 6 has been very tough lately. All the canceled dates because of the weather have produced huge fields at Santa Anita. There are a lot of longshots, horses coming off different racing surfaces, layoffs. It becomes a lot trickier. I play the Pick 6 when there are large carryovers. I focus a few hours on handicapping and only focus on the Pick 6 races.”

And if he didn't have the $331 he would have been knocking that 1 horse off in the last race :)

Mortimer
02-21-2008, 05:23 PM
^^^New Mexico bred enthusiast

^^^ Steve refused autographed photo request.

docicu3
02-21-2008, 07:07 PM
So this begs the question "Caveman or A/B/C/X"......the article reads like dudes a caveman ticket proponent.

As in 8x1x6x5x1x9 for a $2 dollar base bet seems to imply single ticket for this large score which has been my point previously.
If you have multiple long shots in a sequence as long as you are limiting the size and cost by combining 2nd and 3rd tier choices
with favorites you run the risk of losing out if 2 or 3 or 4 of your "B" or "C" choices win which is what increases the value of a winning ticket if you are using the "Exotic Betting" approach. If you had the sequence for a winning ticket worth 3 million dollars dispersed on 4-5 tickets without winning then you have made a horrible error. "D" seems to be a caveman and quite successful at it!!

SCUDSBROTHER
02-21-2008, 08:41 PM
I'D LIKE TO KNOW HOW HE MADE THE DECISION TO GO WITH the winner of the 9th(medjool) over Tiz Now Tiz Then.Were the sheet #s against On the Verge n' Signature move worse than what Medjool had? This is the decision that got him all this money.I want to know how he made it.Other than a hot jock(m baze) versus a cold one(Blanc) I don't know how he went that way.

hoovesupsideyourhead
02-21-2008, 10:14 PM
I'D LIKE TO KNOW HOW HE MADE THE DECISION TO GO WITH the winner of the 9th(medjool) over Tiz Now Tiz Then.Were the sheet #s against On the Verge n' Signature move worse than what Medjool had? This is the decision that got him all this money.I want to know how he made it.Other than a hot jock(m baze) versus a cold one(Blanc) I don't know how he went that way.
majool had plenty of trouble in his last .. stake he would have been a single for me..as i told doc......that rat 1 in second i could never have singled ..wee jinky was ready and if talamo on the 7 doesent block em he wins..

Coach Pants
02-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Plus isn't Tiz Now Tiz Then a Harty horse?