PDA

View Full Version : Bad ride at SA

Gate Dancer
02-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Probably want to vent as much as anything but Mostacolli Mort in the 9th at SA on Sunday Feb 10th got a brutal trip from Martin Pedroza. Trapped on the rail into the first turn it 'appeared' as though he had a couple of chances to move him out into the middle of the track on the backstretch but chose the rail route only to get totally shut off most of the stretch. Still rallied for 4th when clear but way too late. This guy should bust through NW1x in his next start. He ran in some Grade 1's last year and appears to have plenty for any race 1 1/8M or longer on the grass.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.................

the_fat_man
02-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Ummmm

You're kidding right? YOur guy sucked up the ENTIRE race, was being whipped on the turn, was behind horses in the stretch and gained a bit when he came out. BUT he wasn't beating the winner.

You know what 'GRRRRRRRRRR" means?

Fire up the replay and watch the trip of the 10, Monastery Scandal:

WIDEST on the BACKSTRETCH, stalking, inexplicably dropped to nearly last before the turn, CIRCLED widest, suddenly, into the FASTEST SPLIT of the race (the only one to gain) and just missed by a nose while not changing leads (again). Now, THAT was a BAD RIDE.

If you look at the chart, you'll notice that of the 11 horses in the race only ONE was backing up the last 1/8th. In other words, EVERYONe (save one) was running late. And you want to betback a horse that basically did the least bit of running?

May these two meet again next time.

SCUDSBROTHER
02-11-2008, 01:40 PM
What's amazing is the same rider that rode M Scandal turned right around to wake up that pig 9 year old mare in the last race.

the_fat_man
02-11-2008, 01:47 PM
I have nothing against Rosario, and he's certainly won on the horse before (at nice prices). And, MS was being asked to stretch out yet again, and didn't change leads in his last 2 races either. So, the trainer needs to share in this a bit. But, taking him back and then gunning wide on the turn just doesn't get it done on the turf at SA --- works real nice at BEL, however.

And the results of the 10th are just an example of how the game really sucks in terms of irony.

Gate Dancer
02-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Ummmm

You're kidding right? YOur guy sucked up the ENTIRE race, was being whipped on the turn, was behind horses in the stretch and gained a bit when he came out. BUT he wasn't beating the winner.

You know what 'GRRRRRRRRRR" means?

Fire up the replay and watch the trip of the 10, Monastery Scandal:

WIDEST on the BACKSTRETCH, stalking, inexplicably dropped to nearly last before the turn, CIRCLED widest, suddenly, into the FASTEST SPLIT of the race (the only one to gain) and just missed by a nose while not changing leads (again). Now, THAT was a BAD RIDE.

If you look at the chart, you'll notice that of the 11 horses in the race only ONE was backing up the last 1/8th. In other words, EVERYONe (save one) was running late. And you want to betback a horse that basically did the least bit of running?

May these two meet again next time.

Will be happy to see the rematch...........good chance it will happen also. 'Mort' has ran against much better competition, he'll show it next time out. Totally agree with your assessment of the problems 'Scandal' had. Just don't think he's better.

SCUDSBROTHER
02-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Will be happy to see the rematch...........good chance it will happen also. 'Mort' has ran against much better competition, he'll show it next time out. Totally agree with your assessment of the problems 'Scandal' had. Just don't think he's better.

Honestly,they both seem pretty stupid,and talented.

Gate Dancer
02-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Honestly,they both seem pretty stupid,and talented.

Amen................

alysheba4
03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Amen........................gate dancer, my first favorite horse. he was robbed in the 1st classic.

Gate Dancer
03-06-2008, 12:52 PM
........gate dancer, my first favorite horse. he was robbed in the 1st classic.

His reputation as a 'bully' worked against him in that Classic. Wild Again actually came into him and initiated the contact. The head-on shot proves it. Slew O' Gold was pinched between them. Growing up a few miles from Ak-Sar-Ben it was a thrill when Jack Van Berg brought him to town.

alysheba4
03-06-2008, 03:05 PM
yeah, i was a huge van berg fan in those days...... getting back to the 1st classic...... i would have taken down wild again, its an easy call. if i was van berg i would have lost it with that steward.

cowgirlintexas
03-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Has Mostacolli ran back since that race?

GPK
03-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Has Mostacolli ran back since that race?

Yeah...he raced this past Friday. Won and paid $6.60