PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: '09 Cup Back to Santa Anita

Scav
02-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Why don't we just blow up the game? How stupid is this idea.....

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43536

GBBob
02-07-2008, 09:44 AM

How can they say that they are the leading candidate? Doesn't CD want it again..If NYRA gets their act together isn't Belmont due?

Not to mention the "Tier 2" possibilities...or are they not going down that road again?

NoLuvForPletch
02-07-2008, 09:46 AM

We'll the quote it comes from the VP of Marketing for Santa Anita so I would take it with a grain of salt. It's like the VP of Marketing at the Mountain saying we've got the finest racing in the East. You know those Marketing guru's will say anything to get press.

Scav
02-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I know, but it is just ridiculous, if they have it at back to back sites, I am taking up Jai ali or however you spell it.

smuthg
02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I know, but it is just ridiculous, if they have it at back to back sites, I am taking up Jai ali or however you spell it.

Could or would they ever have the Breeders' Cup at the Fair Grounds? If Belmont and Churchill are out, what are the other reasonable alternatives?

Scav
02-07-2008, 10:23 AM
You know, I totally forgot about Churchill saying they don't want the BC anymore. This is why Santa Anita can mention something like this.

Soon the BC will be, The Breeders Cup at Magna International

NoLuvForPletch
02-07-2008, 10:52 AM
You know, I totally forgot about Churchill saying they don't want the BC anymore. This is why Santa Anita can mention something like this.

Soon the BC will be, The Breeders Cup at Magna International

It would be hard to fathom that the BC would return to the same place back to back.

If they wanted to keep it in Cali, why not DelMar? They can have an abbreviated meet like Monmouth.

Kasept
02-07-2008, 10:54 AM
The conversation I heard at Monmouth about this was that having it at Santa Anita back-to-back provided NTRA/BCL with some excellent marketing opportunities revolving around "continuity" and "repeat exposure"... specifically with the Entertainment Industry.

Churchill will lose out on a tax exemption deal with the City of Louisville if they do NOT get the Cup back for '09.

whodey17
02-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I love the idea of having it at the same place for back to back years. I think it is easier for horsemen/women to plan well in advance. It also helps with patrons as well.

I think Churchill and the city of Louisville will work out another tax exemption deal. I wish the cup would be run at 3 venues--Belmont, Churchill and Santa Anita.

smuthg
02-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I love the idea of having it at the same place for back to back years. I think it is easier for horsemen/women to plan well in advance. It also helps with patrons as well.

I think Churchill and the city of Louisville will work out another tax exemption deal. I wish the cup would be run at 3 venues--Belmont, Churchill and Santa Anita.

I know its a pipe dream, but I love Steve's idea of using Hialeah Park as a sight every other year... and then rotating between the "Big 3" with an occasional alternate site thrown in every 4th or 5th year.

miraja2
02-07-2008, 11:13 AM
It would be hard to fathom that the BC would return to the same place back to back.

If they wanted to keep it in Cali, why not DelMar? They can have an abbreviated meet like Monmouth.
The 12f "marathon" woud sure be fun to watch over that track. The winner would finish in about 45 minutes.
Doing it at Santa Anita again would be absolutely ridiculous....but I seriously doubt we'll see that happen.
I wish they would run the BC at a track like Fairmount so the hideousness of the setting would match the stupidity of the event's existence.

slotdirt
02-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I like throwing the Lone Stars and Monmouths of the world a bone every couple of years, and see no real benefit in keeping the cup at Santa Anita every single year.

Scav
02-07-2008, 12:18 PM
I like throwing the Lone Stars and Monmouths of the world a bone every couple of years, and see no real benefit in keeping the cup at Santa Anita every single year.

Exactly.....

And now that Arlington has an alternative finish line, they should get a bone also because they can accomdate all BC races

hoovesupsideyourhead
02-07-2008, 12:34 PM
except the seating...and i was there last time..betting was a mess..and it was cold..

King Glorious
02-07-2008, 12:40 PM
When it's held in any place except California, it seems that the weather is almost always a factor or at least a concern. It's too often cold and raining and miserable. Santa Anita has hosted some great BC races in the past. The concern always heard about SA is that it's too hot. That was one time and personally, I'd rather they are racing when it's 95 degrees instead of this stuff we just had at Monmouth. My only concern is that they are racing on fake dirt in Cali and I don't like that and I think it's premature to be even considering awarding them another BC when they don't even know how this one will turn out because of the track. Under normal circumstances though, I wouldn't have any problem at all with it being at Santa Anita every year.

I still think that the BC is a great idea and a great thing for racing. At no other time do we get this kind of participation from horses from other parts of the world. At no other time do we get so many top horses matching up with each other. It's not the BC that has messed the sport up. It's the way horses are bred, trained, and raced now that has done the most damage. Tracks change up their prep distances and dates not because of the BC but because of how trainers train now. I just don't see the sense in blaming the BC when the BC has not changed. It worked fine in the beginning and still works fine now. Blaming the BC is like blaming the Derby because a lot of trainers are starting to go to the two-prep thing. When I first got involved with the game, having four preps was not unusual. Then it went down to three being the norm. With the recent good runs of horses that only prep twice and the way that many trainers like to copycat, I can easily see two becoming the norm. I can easily see more trainers holding out their 2yo's and starting them out as 3yo's because of the success Bernardini and Curlin had. The Derby is not to blame for any of this though because it hasn't changed. Other than adding a few more races, neither has the BC.

deltagulf
02-07-2008, 12:56 PM
well why a track like the fair grounds can't hold it. plenty of hotel rooms and great food and entertainment.also weather is good in october down here.

also a dirt track.

KY_Sasquash
02-07-2008, 12:58 PM
When it's held in any place except California, it seems that the weather is almost always a factor or at least a concern. It's too often cold and raining and miserable. Santa Anita has hosted some great BC races in the past. The concern always heard about SA is that it's too hot. That was one time and personally, I'd rather they are racing when it's 95 degrees instead of this stuff we just had at Monmouth. My only concern is that they are racing on fake dirt in Cali and I don't like that and I think it's premature to be even considering awarding them another BC when they don't even know how this one will turn out because of the track. Under normal circumstances though, I wouldn't have any problem at all with it being at Santa Anita every year.

I don't like the BC being run over the synthetic surfaces either and I don't feel like the turf races are legit b/c the turf course is so hard and short its more like running on astroturf-those courses out there made Citronnade look like a monster on the turf, which she isn't. Churchill and Belmont are the best venues to use.

jwkniska
02-07-2008, 01:17 PM
well why a track like the fair grounds can't hold it. plenty of hotel rooms and great food and entertainment.also weather is good in october down here.

also a dirt track.

as long as they've got enough barns for it (which I think they do), there's no reason they couldn't have it.... also, it'd be a nice boost back for the city to have another feature event there.

I'd like to see it back at AP someday, as I was unfortunately unable to go last time it was there due to being out of town.

Scav
02-07-2008, 01:22 PM
except the seating...and i was there last time..betting was a mess..and it was cold..

I am a little bias because I didn't get to go. I was down at SIU and my dad wisely told me "It will be here another day, I wouldn't come all the way up just for the BC"

I should have not listened to him, like I don't listen to everything else

Bigsmc
02-07-2008, 01:58 PM

I agree with everything you said, but I think your enjoyment of a venue is a function of where your seats are.

I was stuck in the temporary bleachers at the top of the Clubhouse turn at AP and was miserable.

This year I was banished beyond the 3/16th pole at Monmouth sitting on the tarmac in a wooden folding outdoor wedding chair, so with no elevation, I couldn't see 3/4 of the track and the rain....oh, the rain. Others loved the venue. What was the difference? They had decent seats, under cover and high enough to see the whole track.

I have been to nine BC's and I have had such crappy luck with seats over the years and after the misery of Monmouth, I vowed to never attend another BC.

philcski
02-07-2008, 02:55 PM

also a dirt track.

Should have already been there. Never been to FG but certainly seems like it's fit to host the BC.

The Bid
02-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Maybe Santa Anita should just be concerned with running a race, let alone a Breeders Cup race. Disgrace

hoovesupsideyourhead
02-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I agree with everything you said, but I think your enjoyment of a venue is a function of where your seats are.

I was stuck in the temporary bleachers at the top of the Clubhouse turn at AP and was miserable.

This year I was banished beyond the 3/16th pole at Monmouth sitting on the tarmac in a wooden folding outdoor wedding chair, so with no elevation, I couldn't see 3/4 of the track and the rain....oh, the rain. Others loved the venue. What was the difference? They had decent seats, under cover and high enough to see the whole track.

I have been to nine BC's and I have had such crappy luck with seats over the years and after the misery of Monmouth, I vowed to never attend another BC.
the bc was great at churchill..arl was ok but as we talked about cold..
seats and the weather make huge diff

Alan07
02-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Nov 6-7 2009

deltagulf
02-07-2008, 04:13 PM
back to back breeders cup that sucks.http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2008/February/07/Santa-Anita-to-host-Breeders-Cup-again-in-2009.aspx

whodey17
02-07-2008, 04:17 PM
I dont think this is a bad idea at all.

2 Dollar Bill
02-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Will they have the track ready for 2009 ? :D

Scav
02-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Just blow up the sport now

fpsoxfan
02-07-2008, 04:38 PM
I guess I really don't understand the reasoning behind this. Weather? All-Weather track? It's just strange? Where's the outrage from NYRA, Churchill Downs, etc. etc.? What happens if the 2008 edition sucks? Risky play here.

Swale84
02-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks to the NYRA-Joe Bruno impass and franchise concerns, I don't think Belmont was even considered

King Glorious
02-07-2008, 04:46 PM
I don't like the BC being run over the synthetic surfaces either and I don't feel like the turf races are legit b/c the turf course is so hard and short its more like running on astroturf-those courses out there made Citronnade look like a monster on the turf, which she isn't. Churchill and Belmont are the best venues to use.

The BC was held at SA in 1986, 1993, and 2003.

The winners of the Turf have been:
1986-Manila
1993-Kotashaan
2003-High Chaparral

The winners of the Mile have been:
1986-Last Tycoon
1993-Lure
2003-Six Perfections

The lone winner of the F/M Turf was:
2003-Islington

Of that group, all of those horses were proven as not only grade one level horses but also as grade one winners. Of the seven, four were European based horses. Of the 21 horses to finish in the top three in the races, eight were European based horses and several more were transplanted Europeans. I can't see a single horse on this list that was not a legit winner and with Euro's holding a 4-3 edge in winners, I don't see how anyone can say it's unfair to them.

Alan07
02-07-2008, 04:47 PM
One may also wonder if NYRA may bid for each of there tracks and not just Belmont

Alan07
02-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Will there be a late post? They have been talking about the LA media Market all day

2 Dollar Bill
02-07-2008, 04:56 PM
What do they think it will RAIN in NJ again ?

Scav
02-07-2008, 05:00 PM
It should be this (I need to be put in charge)

Rotation between....

Churchill, Belmont, Santa Anita, X

X =

Arlington, Monmouth, Lone Star, Woodbine, Somewhere in Europe (maybe), Dubai (Maybe)...Hialeah (if restored), and I can't think of any others.

hoovesupsideyourhead
02-07-2008, 05:06 PM
the bc should call it quits..thay have pimped out the fans ..now its 2 days..ect ect ect........pretty bad ..its better for the fans and players if they move it every year..imo..wile i may not go to nj i would go to church..you know what i mean.. keeping it static is a bad idea......

brockguy
02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Im happy.. 2 LA holidays in 2 years - warm weather etc.. i just hope that this year is a success. otherwise, it will be a long wait until 2010..

Scav
02-07-2008, 05:12 PM
the bc should call it quits..thay have pimped out the fans ..now its 2 days..ect ect ect........pretty bad ..its better for the fans and players if they move it every year..imo..wile i may not go to nj i would go to church..you know what i mean.. keeping it static is a bad idea......

You are right, it is retarded.

Why is it that this industry can not do anything to MAKE PEOPLE HAPPY and just do things that piss people off, some of the list

1) Same BC Site
2) Past posting/outdated mutual systems
3) Same saddle cloths on day where they are 40 horses in one race
4) ADW fiasco
5) Takeout fiasco
6) Drugs fiasco
7) Not making safe tracks to begin with and then going synethic on a whim

Feel free to add any more to this list

hoovesupsideyourhead
02-07-2008, 05:15 PM
and i have a feeling holding on poly two years in a row is a feather in the poly companys hat............little cash under the table..eh

Bigsmc
02-07-2008, 06:49 PM
It should be this (I need to be put in charge)

Rotation between....

Churchill, Belmont, Santa Anita, X

X =

Arlington, Monmouth, Lone Star, Woodbine, Somewhere in Europe (maybe), Dubai (Maybe)...Hialeah (if restored), and I can't think of any others.

I enjoyed the BC at Hollywood, but I guess that place's days are numbered.

miraja2
02-07-2008, 07:15 PM
You are right, it is retarded.

Why is it that this industry can not do anything to MAKE PEOPLE HAPPY and just do things that piss people off, some of the list

1) Same BC Site
2) Past posting/outdated mutual systems
3) Same saddle cloths on day where they are 40 horses in one race
4) ADW fiasco
5) Takeout fiasco
6) Drugs fiasco
7) Not making safe tracks to begin with and then going synethic on a whim

Feel free to add any more to this list
I swear that if people in positions of power in any sport actively attempted to destroy that sport, they could hardly do a better job than the people in this sport have done by accident.

ateamstupid
02-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Looks like I'll be passing on the next TWO Cups.

SCUDSBROTHER
02-07-2008, 08:36 PM
If they want to have it in these other places(other than SOCAL,)then they should change the date to atleast a month earlier.You should atleast make an attempt to avoid the bad weather.LONE STAR,CHURCHILL,and MONMOUTH all involved weather.

31lengths
02-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Looks like I'll be passing on the next TWO Cups.

J -

Love the avatar.

King Glorious
02-07-2008, 08:51 PM
I'll bet that everyone that says they won't watch or wager on the BC at Santa Anita........will.

31lengths
02-07-2008, 08:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Santa Anita to host Breeders' Cup again in 2009

Santa Anita will be the home of the Breeders' Cup World Championships for the next two years, following a decision by Breeders' Cup Ltd. to award the 2009 edition to the Oak Tree Racing Association.

ateamstupid
02-08-2008, 12:18 AM
I'll bet that everyone that says they won't watch or wager on the BC at Santa Anita........will.

Nah, I'll watch, but I won't be wagering. I haven't bet on a race at a So. California track since summer '06, and I don't plan to anytime soon.

SCUDSBROTHER
02-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Nah, I'll watch, but I won't be wagering. I haven't bet on a race at a So. California track since summer '06, and I don't plan to anytime soon.

Not even on the offspring of SINGLECHERRY?

Pedigree Ann
02-08-2008, 04:16 AM
Not even on the offspring of SINGLECHERRY?

Are you knocking my boy? Because Singletary was a fighter who finally got his just reward in the Lone Star BC. Just because he didn't come with a fancy pedigree, some East Coasters had to knock him but he was a heck of a better horse than some of the Storm Cat flashes-in-the-pan out there.

hoovesupsideyourhead
02-08-2008, 06:51 AM
it was delmar i believe...:eek:

KY_Sasquash
02-08-2008, 08:37 AM
The BC was held at SA in 1986, 1993, and 2003.

The winners of the Turf have been:
1986-Manila
1993-Kotashaan
2003-High Chaparral

The winners of the Mile have been:
1986-Last Tycoon
1993-Lure
2003-Six Perfections

The lone winner of the F/M Turf was:
2003-Islington

Of that group, all of those horses were proven as not only grade one level horses but also as grade one winners. Of the seven, four were European based horses. Of the 21 horses to finish in the top three in the races, eight were European based horses and several more were transplanted Europeans. I can't see a single horse on this list that was not a legit winner and with Euro's holding a 4-3 edge in winners, I don't see how anyone can say it's unfair to them.

I stand corrected. Must be in my head. I really don't feel that their turf courses play like a true turf course as previously stated.

How could you leave my man Johar off that list though?

KY_Sasquash
02-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Are you knocking my boy? Because Singletary was a fighter who finally got his just reward in the Lone Star BC. Just because he didn't come with a fancy pedigree, some East Coasters had to knock him but he was a heck of a better horse than some of the Storm Cat flashes-in-the-pan out there.

His win was severely aided by Jamie Spencer's horrendous ride on Antonius Pius. Any other jock on Antonius Pius' back and he wins the mile. Hardly a just reward. No matter to me, i got lucky and cashed on him, but he shouldve been 2nd.

slotdirt
02-08-2008, 08:45 AM
I have no plans to bet or attend either the 08 or 09 Breeders Cups...strictly because they're at Santa Anita.

TitanSooner
02-08-2008, 10:18 AM
I have no plans to bet or attend either the 08 or 09 Breeders Cups...strictly because they're at Santa Anita.
that ought to make them think twice about their decision

blackthroatedwind
02-08-2008, 10:31 AM

Technically you are probably right but I can guarantee you that my handle will be less than 50% of what it usually is on BC Day and much less than my average handle on any racing day. Now, I don't really bet more on the average BC day, but now I will bet even less.

2Hot4TV
02-08-2008, 11:13 AM
The Breeders Cup deservers to be showcased in at a facility that is equal to it's standards and Santa Anita is just that. There are only about 6 tracks in the US that can handle the Breeders Cup without major investments and the races should be rotated between those tracks and change the dates if weather is a major concern. I for one will be at Santa Anita in 2008/2009 and well enjoy every minute.

GBBob
02-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Technically you are probably right but I can guarantee you that my handle will be less than 50% of what it usually is on BC Day and much less than my average handle on any racing day. Now, I don't really bet more on the average BC day, but now I will bet even less.

That surprised me given the value that is often present on horses with a shot at double digit odds.

Am I mistaken? I thought BC was generally a good betting day

SCUDSBROTHER
02-08-2008, 12:10 PM
That surprised me given the value that is often present on horses with a shot at double digit odds.

BE A GOOD BETTING DAY IF THE TRACK WASN'T MESSED UP BY WEATHER(lately been too often the case.)I understand the notion that good horses should be able to handle it,but I'd rather not have weather be involved each time.Even the Belmont one had a questionable turf course.

SCUDSBROTHER
02-08-2008, 12:24 PM

Well,if you admit to running a horse who is fat,then you're gunna pay the price with people for a very long time.He should never have said that.He deserved the hell he caught,and I doubt he says it again.As for his big win,this is why it would be better to have less weather involved.There were horses who ran horrible on that turf,and came right back to win stakes on other turf courses.Neither of the 2 male Turf Lonestar B.C. winners could do anything the next year at Belmont.

blackthroatedwind
02-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Steve Crist lambastes them in his Sunday column.

It's a subscription article but I'll see if it's OK to reprint it here.

blackthroatedwind
02-08-2008, 05:23 PM

One man's good betting day is not necessarily another's. However, I would never argue with someone that says it's a great betting card. I'm just not usually someone who bets a lot of stakes races. My opinions are usually more esoteric maidens or turf horses.

I bet plenty on the BC, and enjoy the action, but my biggest bets are pretty much never on those races. But, with many races to at least dabble in, I am going to bet enough.

The Indomitable DrugS
02-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Hopefully there isn't a debate between my incumbent congressman and his challenger on public access TV scheduled at the same time the synthetic Breeders Cup card goes.

I think I'd have to TIVO the BC.

philcski
02-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Steve Crist lambastes them in his Sunday column.

It's a subscription article but I'll see if it's OK to reprint it here.

It's already up on DRF.com as a free article. As per Crist's norm, a succinct and factually correct argument as to why this was an extremely disappointing decision.

http://www.drf.com/drfNewsArticle.do?NID=92159&subs=0&arc=0

SCUDSBROTHER
02-09-2008, 07:33 AM
It's already up on DRF.com as a free article. As per Crist's norm, a succinct and factually correct argument as to why this was an extremely disappointing decision.

http://www.drf.com/drfNewsArticle.do?NID=92159&subs=0&arc=0

People from the east coast are just too f'n ignorant to realize we had to put synthetic in because we couldn't fill cards out here.We had 4-7 horses in almost every race except cal bred m32cl....O.K.? We had to get the horses we had to the track more...Had to. Dirt was making it impossible to have good cards.I don't think just making the dirt more "eastern" (slower times etc. )would have been enough.We don't have as many horses here.You must not remember how horrible the cards were getting out here.So bad I was playing New York.I haven't played New York now for quite a while.

2Hot4TV
02-09-2008, 08:12 AM
People from the east coast are just too f'n ignorant to realize we had to put synthetic in because we couldn't fill cards out here.We had 4-7 horses in almost every race except cal bred m32cl....O.K.? We had to get the horses we had to the track more...Had to. Dirt was making it impossible to have good cards.I don't think just making the dirt more "eastern" (slower times etc. )would have been enough.We don't have as many horses here.You must not remember how horrible the cards were getting out here.So bad I was playing New York.I haven't played New York now for quite a while.
Prior to Synthetic tracks in both NoCal and SoCal we couldn't get barns in the rest of the country to even consider shipping to take the money offered because of the dirt tracks. Look at Bay Meadow on dirt has reduced the field size back to 5 and 6 horse where Golden Gate had 7 to 10 in most races on Tapita. Synthetic race tracks are moving forward and are in everyones future.
How many horses that are training on dirt never make it to the track? I dont think the number would be the same for synthetic surfaces.

pmacdaddy
02-09-2008, 08:13 AM

Well then, problem solved...

2Hot4TV
02-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Horses are working on Santa Anita's new synthetic surface this morning. Life is good again, till it rains?

SCUDSBROTHER
02-09-2008, 10:53 AM

Problem solved for a lot of us that had to put up with short fields.I just think anybody that says Cali rushed into this are ignorant.We had to try it.The option was to keep bleeding,or to try something new.Would have taken a 3 day week to get decent-sized fields.Even when HWD had the synthetic,and Anita didn't.Go back and look at the field sizes during the week in APRIL last year at Anita.Of course,I stopped playing.You must have competitive fields or the racing is not going to remain popular.

Scav
02-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Problem solved for a lot of us that had to put up with short fields.I just think anybody that says Cali rushed into this are ignorant.We had to try it.The option was to keep bleeding,or to try something new.Would have taken a 3 day week to get decent-sized fields.Even when HWD had the synthetic,and Anita didn't.Go back and look at the field sizes during the week in APRIL last year at Anita.Of course,I stopped playing.You must have competitive fields or the racing is not going to remain popular.

Brotha Scuds PREACH TO ME!!!

SCUDSBROTHER
02-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Brotha Scuds PREACH TO ME!!!

New York Dog Show this Monday-Tuesday.They best not give the toy group to one of them g damn Pomeranians.The Min Pins and Chihuahas need representation,man.They are unfairly being judged because it doesn't take forever to make them look good.You watch the Min Pin.He is gunna have the best movement of any of the toys.They have a co cky (hackney) gait.They look best each year,but these judges vote for toys that act like f'n cats.

Scav
02-09-2008, 11:39 AM
New York Dog Show this Monday-Tuesday.They best not give the toy group to one of them g damn Pomeranians.The Min Pins and Chihuahas need representation,man.They are unfairly being judged because it doesn't take forever to make them look good.You watch the Min Pin.He is gunna have the best movement of any of the toys.They have a co cky (hackney) gait.They look best each year,but these judges vote for toys that act like f'n cats.

I was talking about horses :)

You're so comedy

SCUDSBROTHER
02-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I was talking about horses :)

You're so comedy

I'm done.I think it's fair to be against running the cup out here,but I just think we had to try the synthetics.You remember when that Mike character was around here? Well,that's when I was playing New York and Florida.That's when are SOCAL cards sucked the most.Now,I play SOCAL (:rolleyes: if they ever fkn run again.)If you don't have field size,then you don't have a product people are going to care about.

Scav
02-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm done.I think it's fair to be against running the cup out here,but I just think we had to try the synthetics.You remember when that Mike character was around here? Well,that's when I was playing New York and Florida.That's when are SOCAL cards sucked the most.Now,I play SOCAL (:rolleyes: if they ever fkn run again.)If you don't have field size,then you don't have a product people are going to care about.

Are you playing the P6 today or what? Go to selections thread and yap it out

SCUDSBROTHER
02-09-2008, 12:20 PM

Can't you tell how excited I am? I guess I'll post one.Kinda think it's more interesting to see how the Chinese can somehow name a year after a damn RAT.Isn't that like naming a year after a bowel movement?

AeWingnut
02-09-2008, 07:41 PM

I hit that exacta. Singletary with some crazy euro horse. nice pay day.

AeWingnut
02-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I think the same people that decided to squeeze the lemon into two days - came up with the back to back Santa Anita scenerio... aided by the fact that Churchill wanted a bigger cut.

I don't need to go to the actual races and deal with the crowds to enjoy the races.

People that only like to go to events are not going to be there for you every weekend. So why pis soff the ones that are? Don't think I won't stop.
I have before and I will again.

SCUDSBROTHER
02-09-2008, 08:23 PM

F'N little Grey rat in the 9th cost me the p6 contest.Little teaser on the outside with Mig.They were all 3 running about the same,and he was the smallest.That never works.Scav,thank you so much for reminding me to play.WTF I do without you?

King Glorious
02-11-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't understand why it can't be awarded to Belmont. The racing situation seems very stable there. Or why not Churchill or Arlington? They are begging for it. With so many options out there right now, why SA again?

philcski
02-12-2008, 07:15 AM

I don't disagree with your opinion that something had to be done to improve field size. It was unplayable when there was 4-5 horses in each race. I LOVE playing Hollywood with the new surface and I don't think I bet Hwd more than 3-4 times a year before that. My problem is with awarding the BC, the sport's 2nd most prestigious event, to the same facility two years in a row- denying fans in other parts of the country the opportunity to attend. I'll likely be there for both, but most people aren't as fortunate (or passionate) as me to be able to spend probably $1500 to fly to LA, buy tickets and a hotel. Seems like a twofold knee jerk reaction to the poor weather at Monmouth ( which truly was just bad luck- it hadn't rained much for months before that weekend, which was a deluge) and a moneygrab with CDSN's deserved higher demands.

I don't understand why it can't be awarded to Belmont. The racing situation seems very stable there. Or why not Churchill or Arlington? They are begging for it. With so many options out there right now, why SA again?

If Magna was truly the only viable bidder then they could have put it at another one of their facilities. Gulfstream and Lone Star have been successful hosts in the past and I don't think anyone would complain if they went there again.

outofthebox
02-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Since Magna oswns both SA and GP i dont think we will ever see the BC run at GP ever again. Stronach i think took GP out of the running when he rebuilt his grandstand to a non racing friendly facility.

King Glorious
02-12-2008, 08:45 AM
I don't disagree with your opinion that something had to be done to improve field size. It was unplayable when there was 4-5 horses in each race. I LOVE playing Hollywood with the new surface and I don't think I bet Hwd more than 3-4 times a year before that. My problem is with awarding the BC, the sport's 2nd most prestigious event, to the same facility two years in a row- denying fans in other parts of the country the opportunity to attend. I'll likely be there for both, but most people aren't as fortunate (or passionate) as me to be able to spend probably $1500 to fly to LA, buy tickets and a hotel. Seems like a twofold knee jerk reaction to the poor weather at Monmouth ( which truly was just bad luck- it hadn't rained much for months before that weekend, which was a deluge) and a moneygrab with CDSN's deserved higher demands.

If Magna was truly the only viable bidder then they could have put it at another one of their facilities. Gulfstream and Lone Star have been successful hosts in the past and I don't think anyone would complain if they went there again.

Gulfstream is not an option at all because of how they've redone the place. Personally, I liked Lone Star and wouldn't mind it there again but plenty of people complained when it was there. I think that having gone through the experience, they would be better prepared the next time. The weather is usually pretty good there at that time, it's a major metropolitan area that is easily accessible from anywhere by any mode of transportation, they've got the hotel space and plenty of entertainment options, and it's pretty central so there are no "home track" advantages for either the east or west coast horses. Keeping in mind all of that, I wonder if Sam Houston would be an option to consider. I don't know anything about the track there but if it's got a big enough track and facility to host the BC, I think they should get a look.

philcski
02-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Gulfstream is not an option at all because of how they've redone the place. Personally, I liked Lone Star and wouldn't mind it there again but plenty of people complained when it was there. I think that having gone through the experience, they would be better prepared the next time. The weather is usually pretty good there at that time, it's a major metropolitan area that is easily accessible from anywhere by any mode of transportation, they've got the hotel space and plenty of entertainment options, and it's pretty central so there are no "home track" advantages for either the east or west coast horses. Keeping in mind all of that, I wonder if Sam Houston would be an option to consider. I don't know anything about the track there but if it's got a big enough track and facility to host the BC, I think they should get a look.

You been to GP since they redid it? I completely disagree that they couldn't host another BC. There's plenty of room for temporary seating. The place is gorgeous, I'm tired of people bashing it.

King Glorious
02-12-2008, 09:30 AM
You been to GP since they redid it? I completely disagree that they couldn't host another BC. There's plenty of room for temporary seating. The place is gorgeous, I'm tired of people bashing it.

I wonder if more than ten people on here would agree with you that it's capable of hosting another one. Even five might be a stretch. I like the place too.....for everyday racing. I just don't see it as a viable BC host site anymore. I wish it was because I loved going to Florida for the BC.

SniperSB23
02-12-2008, 09:45 AM
I wonder if more than ten people on here would agree with you that it's capable of hosting another one. Even five might be a stretch. I like the place too.....for everyday racing. I just don't see it as a viable BC host site anymore. I wish it was because I loved going to Florida for the BC.

I finally got down to Gulfstream and was surprised how much room there is there. They could definitely host a BC. Would need to put in a lot of temporary seating but there is tons of room for it. The parking lot goes all the way down the stretch so they could back it up a few spaces and extend the general admission area all the way down. Charge an arm and a leg for the limited seats in the grandstand for the people that absolutely need to sit in their posh seating and make all the rest general admission including the temporary seating. The only stumbling block is parking but that can be worked out with shuttles. Gulfstream is far more capable of handling 50,000 than Pimlico is of handling 100,000.

SCUDSBROTHER
02-12-2008, 11:35 AM
That's when are SOCAL cards sucked the most.

I know the use of "are" instead of "our" is a blunder,but I can't change it.So,I intend to deny it was I that did it( works for the Turks,right?)

King Glorious
02-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Now that they've got a deal in NY, I would think that the BC should come out with announcement saying that due to the new deal and the removal of the uncertainty over the status of racing in NY, the 2009 BC will be held at Belmont.

2Hot4TV
02-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I understand that Santa Anita was the only one that would agree to the terms that were offered to host the Breeders Cup.

The way it was explained to was that Santa Anita will turn the facility over to the Breeders Cup for a fee that would be equal to what Santa Anita would make on that weekend of their normal racing program.

The Breeders Cup gets the extra money charged for seating, parking, T.V., and the mutual handle is all Breeders Cup.

Churchill Downs, Arlington and your other tracks wanted some of the gravy.

hoovesupsideyourhead
02-12-2008, 06:48 PM
right and where else is there..ny is in turmoil..chuch dont want it..arl dont want it gs cant handle it.now that its 2 days it really is a task ..cops gotta get payed ect..unless the bc sweetens the pot for the home track ..they dont want it