PDA

View Full Version : Some top W/E BSF's..

Kasept
01-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Benny the Bull GP 26 Jan 6F 115
Santana Strings GP 26 Jan 6F 103
Mach Ride GP 26 Jan 6F 101
Tropic Storm GP 26 Jan 6F 101

Ginger Punch (f) GP 26 Jan 1 1/8M 109
Peach Flambe (f) GP 26 Jan 1 1/8M 98

Bob Black Jack SA 26 Jan 6F 109
Winsome Charm SA 26 Jan 6F 100
Afleet Ruler SA 26 Jan 6F 94

Go Between SA 26 Jan 1 1/8M 106
Celtic Dreamin SA 26 Jan 1 1/8M 103

War Monger GP 26 Jan 1 1/8M 100
Soldier's Dancer GP 26 Jan 1 1/8M 97
Lucky J. H. GP 26 Jan 1 1/8M 95

Quite a Bride (f) SA 26 Jan 1 1/8M 95

Cool Coal Man GP 26 Jan 1 1/8M 92

cakes44
01-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Now that was a thoroughly dominant and impressive effort by Benny the Bull. I would honestly put it up there with 'Zapper's Tom Fool race.

blackthroatedwind
01-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Now that was a thoroughly dominant and impressive effort by Benny the Bull. I would honestly put it up there with 'Zapper's Tom Fool race.

Funny, I found it more reminiscent of A One Rocket.

cakes44
01-28-2008, 09:25 AM
In addition, I think Talamo believed he was actually on Ghostzapper with that ride on Afleet Ruler.

cakes44
01-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Funny, I found it more reminiscent of A One Rocket.

You could very well be correct there. That horse was awfully geared up.

blackthroatedwind
01-28-2008, 09:30 AM
It will be very interesting to see if he can remain sound. Taken at face value, perfect trip and all, he was awfully impressive on Saturday.

The Indomitable DrugS
01-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Perfect trip indeed - and that performance was obviously not in the same ball park as Ghostzapper's Tom Fool in my opinion. Some of his prior races were sneaky strong - him showing a touch more speed this past week was the only surprising thing with his effort imo.

I think Benny The Bull will clearly prove to be the best one-turn miler this year for sure.

Bob Black Jack is a bit interesting. 109 Synthetic Beyer for a Jan Cal Bred 3yo is eye-catching - as is running a final time 0.73 seconds faster than Grade 1 older males in the Malibu in his start two back.

However, you need only go back to Da Stoops to find a horse with a similar profile - Da Stoops, of course, ran faster (albeit by a razor thin margin) than Proud Tower Too did in the Malibu on the same card - and he also won the SM 3yo Sprint with a big figure.

He, at best, flatlined from there.

cakes44
01-28-2008, 09:55 AM
We are all in agreement on the perfect trip. I guess I was just impressed by the early speed he showed and I can't imagine him winning by any less than 2 lengths even if he circles the entire field at the turn. There was never a point in that race where Benny the Bull didn't look like an easy winner, even with the wall of horses in front of him for the first 4 furlongs.

blackthroatedwind
01-28-2008, 09:58 AM
We are all in agreement on the perfect trip. I guess I was just impressed by the early speed he showed and I can't imagine him winning by any less than 2 lengths even if he circles the entire field at the turn. There was never a point in that race where Benny the Bull didn't look like an easy winner, even with the wall of horses in front of him for the first 4 furlongs.

I agree....but frankly was there really a time you didn't think he was a winner once you had looked at the pps?

philcski
01-28-2008, 10:01 AM
It will be very interesting to see if he can remain sound. Taken at face value, perfect trip and all, he was awfully impressive on Saturday.

The A One Rocket comment brings back a lot of bad memories about IEAH. This one, however, (I think) is legit.

A congratulations is in order to my man The Bid who found this horse for IEAH...

The Bid
01-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Im not certain why him showing speed was a shock. If you go back and look pre Dutrow the horse never worked a half in under 51. Everything Dutrow did getting Benny ready to run on Saturday was done quickly. Add to that equation almost all of Jeff Talleys horses are trained to come from 10 back and the speed isnt that big of a surprise. Especially when you give Dutrow a little time to wave the wand. That horse was out of his mind Saturday.

Thx Phil.

VOL JACK
01-28-2008, 10:23 AM
If u keep touting Benny the Bull u are going to have to change your username.

THE BULL !``

The Bid
01-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I only touted him once and took heat for it. A 1x in Chicago in the winter.

The Indomitable DrugS
01-28-2008, 10:26 AM
He certainly didn't show a hint of improved early speed in his first four runs for Dutrow.

The Bid
01-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah I know, but he didnt work him the same TID. The work pattern since that horse has gotten to Florida has really been quick. I think Dutrow may have been a little scared to change his running style early because those guys paid so much for the horse. I would assume they would want to win, or be competitve right away to put investors at ease. You never know whats going to happen when you ask a horse to do something they arent used to doing. Benny is a very fast horse, there is no reason for him to be 10 out of any race.

He did stay a little closer to Talent Search in Laurel before running past him. That may have got them thinking a little

VOL JACK
01-28-2008, 10:36 AM
He certainly didn't show a hint of improved early speed in his first four runs for Dutrow.

The first run was at toga when Dutrow had him less than 3 weeks.
The next 2 runs were with Guidry, who rode him previously for Talley, thought that the horse had to lay way back and make a run.
BtB also hit the gate while breaking in the Br Cup.
Then in the De Francis, Prado had him slightly closer to the ultra quick Talent Search.

I think we are going to see some really fun races this year with BtB, MNL, and Daaher banging heads.

The Bid
01-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Talent Search will be back again and hopefully a more complete horse with Frankle. Lots of good racing to look forward to.

cakes44
01-28-2008, 10:42 AM
You can't leave out the SA lovers, Greg's Gold and In Summation, in addition to Fabulous Strike. If the trainers of all these sprinters can keep these horses together, this is actually a strong group of sprinters. I will keep my fingers crossed.

The Bid
01-28-2008, 10:49 AM
The only Cal horse worth mention is MNL. The others arent in the same zipcode with some of the aforementioned

cakes44
01-28-2008, 10:56 AM
I put them in there mostly because of the BC at Santa Anita this year. Greg's Gold and In Summation have definitely shown an affinity for the track.

The Bid
01-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Yes, but they arent going to show an affinity for the horses that line up in the gate with them. Big difference in Bilo and BBQ Ed and some of the horses we are talking about here. Lets not compare chocolate icecream to s h it

AeWingnut
01-28-2008, 11:54 AM
track variant of?

King Glorious
01-28-2008, 01:44 PM
I put them in there mostly because of the BC at Santa Anita this year. Greg's Gold and In Summation have definitely shown an affinity for the track.

I think that's a very valid point. Look at Idiot Proof and Gotcha Gold last year at Monmouth as examples. Neither of them world beaters but had shown great form on Monmouth's track and both of them finished in the exacta in their BC races. I think that it would be a mistake to dismiss either Greg's Gold or especially In Summation over the SA surface.

jpops757
01-28-2008, 02:25 PM
I think that's a very valid point. Look at Idiot Proof and Gotcha Gold last year at Monmouth as examples. Neither of them world beaters but had shown great form on Monmouth's track and both of them finished in the exacta in their BC races. I think that it would be a mistake to dismiss either Greg's Gold or especially In Summation over the SA surface.
Who knows what the SA surface will be come BC day?

Indian Charlie
01-28-2008, 05:17 PM

Idiot Proof is a very nice sprinter, but he's much better on dirt than poly/cushion.

He's being shipped to Turf Paradise for his next start. I think they finally realized he's not the same horse on false tracks.

cmorioles
01-29-2008, 12:48 AM
The A One Rocket comment brings back a lot of bad memories about IEAH. This one, however, (I think) is legit.

A congratulations is in order to my man The Bid who found this horse for IEAH...

I think The Bid read my post on this board about Benny being more impressive than Fabulous Strike when both won races at Churchill in the same week. I also seem to remember some PMs going back and forth about him, but I'm not 100% positive. Seeing that this may have led to a known cheater getting a very good horse, I see no reason to make such posts in the future.

philcski
01-29-2008, 06:24 AM
I think The Bid read my post on this board about Benny being more impressive than Fabulous Strike when both won races at Churchill in the same week. I also seem to remember some PMs going back and forth about him, but I'm not 100% positive. Seeing that this may have led to a known cheater getting a very good horse, I see no reason to make such posts in the future.

Nah, don't pat yourself on the back too hard. He had told me about the horse after his N1x win and preliminary talks were already underway.

Kasept
01-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Complete BSF list from Ilman/FormBlog:

Sunshine Millions Sprint (GP): Benny the Bull (R. Dutrow Jr./E. Prado) - 115

*Sunshine Millions Dash (SA): Bob Black Jack (J. Kasparoff/D. Flores) - 109
*Sunshine Millions Distaff (GP): Ginger Punch (R. Frankel/R. Bejarano) - 109
*Sunshine Millions Classic (SA): Go Between (W. Mott/G. Gomez) - 106
*Sunshine Millions Turf (GP): War Monger (W. Mott/K. Desormeaux) - 100

*G Malleah (TuP): Trail This (R. Score/R. Eikleberry) - 97
*Sunshine Millions Filly and Mare Turf (SA): Quite a Bride (W. Mott/G. Gomez) - 95
*Maxxam Gold Cup (Hou): Reporting for Duty (S. Asmussen/L. Quinonez) - 95
*Kachina (TuP): Rivotella (B. Wright/G. Corbett) - 95
*Appleton (GP): Buffalo Man (C. Gambolati/E. Prado) - 94
*Lord Snowdon (Aqu): Lord Snowdon (A. Dutrow/R. Dominguez) - 94
*Turnofthecentury (Aqu): Run With the Lark (R. Schosberg/N. Arroyo Jr.) - 94
*Hangonslewpyhangon (TuP): Billy Allen - Ire (K. Bennett/C. Landeros) - 93
*Sunshine Millions Filly and Mare Sprint (SA): Dearest Trickski (J. Sadler/M. Smith) - 91
*Le Grande Pos (Pha): Banjo Picker (S. Krebs/T. Hemmings) - 90
*Sam Houston Distaff (Hou): Buy the Barrel (J. Jones/G. Saez) - 90
*Nellie Morse (Lrl): Wild Hoots (K. McLaughlin/M. Pino) - 90

*Sunshine Millions Oaks (GP): American County (D. Romans/E. Prado) - 87
*Forego (TP): Forest Blue (S. Ritter/V. Lebron) - 86
*Dixie Belle (OP): Kadira (D. Vance/L. Quinonez) - 84 (*Rated Fiesty earned an 85, but was dq'd from first to third)
*Smarty Jones (OP): Liberty Bull (T. Amoss/E. Razo Jr.) - 84
*El Paso Times (Sun): Snake Proof (H. Dominguez/A. Martinez) - 84
*Invitational (PM): Mystic Wood (R. Stevenson/A. Gutierrez) - 83
*Happy Princess (Aqu): Devil House (B. Levine/C. Lopez) - 81
*Marie G. Krantz Memorial (FG): Autobahn Girl (M. Pierce/P. Husbands) - 80

*California Derby (GG): Yankee Bravo (P. Gallagher/A. Solis) - 74

*Pepsi Cola (Sun): Brax (C. Lambert/C. Lambert) - 68

cmorioles
01-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Nah, don't pat yourself on the back too hard. He had told me about the horse after his N1x win and preliminary talks were already underway.

It was mostly tongue in cheek.

cmorioles
01-29-2008, 08:52 AM
*Sunshine Millions Distaff (GP): Ginger Punch (R. Frankel/R. Bejarano) - 109

I think this one is too high, though it probably makes DrugS feel a little better.

philcski
01-29-2008, 09:23 AM
It was mostly tongue in cheek.

cool... (and i don't like dutrow getting horses either by the way)

The Bid
01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I respect Phil and CJ a great deal. Phil I know personally, and CJ I have spoken to a few times in private

I think pursuit was started about three weeks leading up to this thread.

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7823&highlight=Benny+bull

blackthroatedwind
01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
I respect Phil and CJ a great deal. Phil I know personally, and CJ I have spoken to a few times in private

I think pursuit was started about three weeks leading up to this thread.

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7823&highlight=Benny+bull

Yeah I remember that thread. I was going to make a huge bet on Benny on your sayso but DisappearingDan sent me a PM telling me the horse was lame.

The Bid
01-29-2008, 11:16 AM
I wish I had a couple lame ones like that. When mine are lame they cant get out of the stall

MISTERGEE
01-29-2008, 12:39 PM
isnt bob black jack time of 1:06 2/5 a beyer # of about 158, which would mean the variant is about a minus 50?

blackthroatedwind
01-29-2008, 12:43 PM
isnt bob black jack time of 1:06 2/5 a beyer # of about 158, which would mean the variant is about a minus 50?

I feel like he told me it was a minus 47.

philcski
01-29-2008, 12:54 PM

Sounds about right... old days SA would have variants of -40 on fast days...

MISTERGEE
01-29-2008, 02:16 PM
i wonder how putting a minus 47 on the other runners that day is shaping up

blackthroatedwind
01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
i wonder how putting a minus 47 on the other runners that day is shaping up

Being that it is the variant they came up with I would guess pretty well.

cmorioles
01-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Being that it is the variant they came up with I would guess pretty well.

Yes, it was actually a pretty easy card to make figures.