PDA

View Full Version : Gulf 6th Race

alphanumeric1
01-21-2008, 09:45 AM
I am interested in anyone's opinion of Go Swiftly in today's 6th at Gulfstream. I know that this horse was picked up by Iwinski for 250K at last fall's Keeneland November mixed sale. I haven't seen much of Iwinski in the last year or two. I thought he retired or semi-retired for health reasons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3110142

(Tuesday's session-topper was the $250,000 Go Swiftly, a 2-year-old racing or stallion prospect that Allen Iwinski bought from WinStar Racing, as agent. Go Swiftly is by Gone West out of the Danzig mare Dance Swiftly.)
I think tossing Go Swiftly's turf race and considering his good second to Monba makes him worth a look (especially at 5-1 or higher).
Anyone want to chime in?

blackthroatedwind
01-21-2008, 10:10 AM
He's definitely interesting. For all the reasons you mentioned and also being first time dirt. The first time Pletcher, Jimmy Simms, also has to be respected.

MISTERGEE
01-21-2008, 10:17 AM
iwinski also seems to be "hot" lately

the_fat_man
01-21-2008, 10:20 AM
He's definitely interesting. For all the reasons you mentioned and also being first time dirt. The first time Pletcher, Jimmy Simms, also has to be respected.

Agree on the Pletcher horse --- though I'd be alot more impressed if he didn't have a clear rail run his only time out.

Go Swiftly got run down by, what I consider to be, a very good turf horse last time out. Then again, he seems to always get run down.

blackthroatedwind
01-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Agree on the Pletcher horse --- though I'd be alot more impressed if he didn't have a clear rail run his only time out.

Go Swiftly got run down by, what I consider to be, a very good turf horse last time out. Then again, he seems to always get run down.

Those of us that believe in trainer changes have to be honing in on these two horses. Iwinski was an extremely good trainer before his physical problems kept him out of the game.

alphanumeric1
01-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Those of us that believe in trainer changes have to be honing in on these two horses. Iwinski was an extremely good trainer before his physical problems kept him out of the game.

Thanks for the input. I respect your opinions. Anybody got any weather/track conditions for Gulf yet?

Scav
01-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Gulfstream Park Changes
Monday Jan. 21, 2008
Cloudy , Cool , 70's
Track // Fast
Turf // Yeilding
Rail 36 Feet
P6 Carryover $ 9201.00
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 Scr. # 6 Juanchon Juanchon

2 Scr. # 4 Secert Of Victoria
2 Scr. # 6 Beautify
2 Scr. # 7 True Jazz

3 Sce. # 4 Fly With The Wind

4 Scr. # 3 Rhapsody In Purple

5 # 6 First Time Lasix
5 Scr. # 13 Eluding
5 Scr. # 14 Play The Favorite

6 # 4 First Time Lasix

8 Scr. # 9 Aquarian
8 Scr. # 10 Mambo Meister

9 Scr. # 13 Tupi
9 Scr. # 14 Castle Concert

blackthroatedwind
01-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the input. I respect your opinions. Anybody got any weather/track conditions for Gulf yet?

They're on the turf. Track is listed as fast and turf is listed as yielding ( which means it's firm but they're justifying being off yesterday ).

SentToStud
01-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Mostly sunny, 68 deg and very breezy. They have it Fast/Yielding on the GP site. My guess the turf will be good, not yielding.

blackthroatedwind
01-21-2008, 10:40 AM
My guess the turf will be good, not yielding.

Tracks do this all the time. NYRA is especially bad about this ( though this past year or so they have been more liberal about staying on the turf....smarter management understands losing turf races kills handle ). The first day they are on the turf after coming off they always list the turf as yielding in a convaluted attempt to justify taking the races off the turf the previous day. As though somehow giving out misinformation doesn't compound the sin of unnecessarily taking races off useable ground the day before.

I understand some of Gulfstream's thinking with races coming off, as it is a long meet, but this doesn't coincide with starting the meet with four ( and sometimes five ) turf races a day.....and many of them being cheap horses. Don't get me wrong, the more turf races the happier I am, cheap or better, but they seem to be saying two different things. They built a great new turf course.....trust it and use it.

Scav
01-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Tracks do this all the time. NYRA is especially bad about this ( though this past year or so they have been more liberal about staying on the turf....smarter management understands losing turf races kills handle ). The first day they are on the turf after coming off they always list the turf as yielding in a convaluted attempt to justify taking the races off the turf the previous day. As though somehow giving out misinformation doesn't compound the sin of unnecessarily taking races off useable ground the day before.

I understand some of Gulfstream's thinking with races coming off, as it is a long meet, but this doesn't coincide with starting the meet with four ( and sometimes five ) turf races a day.....and many of them being cheap horses. Don't get me wrong, the more turf races the happier I am, cheap or better, but they seem to be saying two different things. They built a great new turf course.....trust it and use it.

Especially with 5 different rail locations......

blackthroatedwind
01-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Especially with 5 different rail locations......

Right. It's like they don't understand what they have. The old course was bad...so they spent a fortune to replace it with a great new course.....and they treat it the same as the old one.

hoovesupsideyourhead
01-21-2008, 10:47 AM
that rail if you pay attention can give you some winners later in the meet..

Bobby Fischer
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Go Swiftly looks good. I don't know that he is going to be in top shape. Debatable whether he needs to be in top shape here, as others come in off of a layoff or FTS.
Go Swiftly probably improves on the GP main track. He has the kind of style that is not flattered by a turf course or a heavy polytrack. No need to toss the turf race, as it was his best performance.

In Honor and Samba Rooster will be dangerous. Could be the fit talent. Note the 2 published works for SR. Fairly heavy schedule, Wolfson gets them to"eat-up" pretty good... If he isn't tired Samba Rooster poses a longshot threat.

You also have to respect a couple months with Pletcher. Jimmy Simms hasn't shown any talent on the track, but did show willingness. Will he be at his best ever?
Kentucky Bear has been training forwardly for Baker. Baker believes in having them race-fit in their first maiden race. Zito also has a first time starter.

blackthroatedwind
01-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Jimmy Simms hasn't shown any talent on the track

This is just wrong.

MISTERGEE
01-21-2008, 11:14 AM
they are running as low as $10,000 down to $8,000 on the turf anyway so they must not be worried about saving it too much

Bobby Fischer
01-21-2008, 12:11 PM
This is just wrong.

Maybe in a workout.
I wasn't impressed by his race.

blackthroatedwind
01-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Maybe in a workout.
I wasn't impressed by his race.

Impressed?

What does that mean? He ran OK in his first start, should improve second time, and gets a significant trainer change. He's an obvious horse....whether or not you personally were impressed by his debut.

KY_Sasquash
01-21-2008, 02:01 PM
BTW, how do you feel about Southern Terminus in the 8th? stretching out from 6F on the AQU inner to 1 1/8th against an okay field. Im hoping he gets tired the last 8th of the race and I'm thinking that I'll try to beat him as the favorite. Problem is Fierce Wind is the only other option that looks like a logical winner and should have no problem with the distance. I dont trust the McPeek's horses' form at MNR.

blackthroatedwind
01-21-2008, 02:03 PM
I liked Aquarian. Now that he's scratched I have no interest.

Mike
01-21-2008, 02:22 PM
I like Samba Rooster here in the 6th, pleasantly surprised with the odds I'm getting

Bobby Fischer
01-21-2008, 02:36 PM
GP 6
$1 tri
1,4,5,6,10 x 1,4,5,6,7,10 x 3 =$25

4win 9place 7show on #3 samba rooster= $20

$1 exacta All with 3 $9

Bobby Fischer
01-21-2008, 02:38 PM
also GP 6
$5 show on 3

blackthroatedwind
01-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm unimpressed with your bets.

NTamm1215
01-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Well done Bobby, 1/2 of a 1400 dollar tri!

NT

Bobby Fischer
01-21-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm unimpressed with your bets.

what does it matter if you are personally impressed? I did ok , had a positive beverage switch and ... ;)

GP 6
$1 tri
1,4,5,6,10 x 1,4,5,6,7,10 x 3 =$25 //win $706.90

4win 9place 12show on #3 samba rooster= $25 //win $52.80

$1 exacta All with 3 $9//loss

KY_Sasquash
01-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I liked Aquarian. Now that he's scratched I have no interest.
yeah thats the other horse that i liked. a scratch was likely with that post position. Fierce Wind came through for me as a single in my pick 4 and now gotta get home through the last leg.

blackthroatedwind
01-21-2008, 03:55 PM
yeah thats the other horse that i liked. a scratch was likely with that post position. Fierce Wind came through for me as a single in my pick 4 and now gotta get home through the last leg.

If you have the 10 you can rip that ticket up now....because that's who I need.

hoovesupsideyourhead
01-21-2008, 03:56 PM
i need the 9/1 hmmmmmmm

KY_Sasquash
01-21-2008, 04:12 PM

i went wide with the 1,3,7,10,11-lets get the 10 home!!!

KY_Sasquash
01-21-2008, 04:22 PM
i went wide with the 1,3,7,10,11-lets get the 10 home!!!

Well so much for spreading wide there. Thought i had that race covered, obviously not well enough.

blackthroatedwind
01-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I think we'll get the money with 10 in the right spot.