PDA

View Full Version : Influence the '08 Breeders' Cup

Kasept
11-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Pleased to offer everyone here the opportunity to directly contribute to changes to the 2008 Breeders' Cup. 'At the Races' regular Rick Hammerle (Director of Racing at San Anita/Del Mar) has created sabreederscup@yahoo.com as an address where you can communicate directly:

What you think the Cup is lacking..

What you want to see as part of the TV coverage..

What needs to be addressed in terms of on-site attendance..

Whatever element of BC '08 you think could be better than those before it..

Hammer will be meeting with BCL officials in December as part of the preliminary execution phase of Santa Anita's hosting duties, and will communicate fans' concerns/issues/suggestions directly to them...

He hopes you'll utilize this opportunity to bring your voice to Breeders' Cup Limited.

Sightseek
11-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Hats off to Rick for doing this!

Alan07
11-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Trakus

Scav
11-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Trakus

Either Trakus or get colored saddlecloths, this must be done for the people with lesser eyesight or bad hearing

Kasept
11-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Either Trakus or get colored saddlecloths, this must be done for the people with lesser eyesight or bad hearing
Come on Scavs.. Who that follows racing has those kind of physical limitations...? :rolleyes:

Riot
11-29-2007, 03:36 PM
What a clever thing to do, actually listen to the fans! Well done, Rick!

JJP
11-29-2007, 05:22 PM
I understand the saddlecloth issue to an extent, but for me, its way overplayed.

Can't people follow jockey silks to recognize their horse(s), and of the major contenders in a race?

Usually, it's not difficult.

Who wants to memorize 12 different sets of owners colors numerous times a day? They have to get the saddlecloth thing straightened out. No excuse not to have it.

I also would suggest to use the home track's camera feed so we can avoid all the camera cuts that the networks seem to love.

brianwspencer
11-29-2007, 05:28 PM
I understand the saddlecloth issue to an extent, but for me, its way overplayed.

Can't people follow jockey silks to recognize their horse(s), and of the major contenders in a race?

Usually, it's not difficult.

I totally see why people don't like the uniform saddlecloths and don't want to learn the horse's silks.

I used to gripe about the same thing years ago -- but have now found that I have no problem following the race based on the silks, generally by that time you've seen the contenders' silks plenty of times and can pick most horses out in their respective races.

It's not a problem for me anymore, but if it helps other people, I'm all for it.

Rudeboyelvis
11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Traditional saddlecloths....and a roof :D j/k

I'll add to the email and I'm not sure if it's budgetarily or logistically feasable, but I love the camera that's mounted to a vehicle and tracks the trip along from the inside circumference of the infield....Dubai does an amazing job of this - you can feel the hoofbeats and hear them practically breathing, plus it a great close up angle of the trip

brockguy
11-29-2007, 05:53 PM
from an international point of view, they either make a spirited attempt to attract quality international runners or they get rid of the horrid "World Thoroughbred Championships" slogan.. Frankly, I thinks its patronising!! Other than that, its brilliant!!

Bigsmc
11-29-2007, 06:14 PM
I didn't write that people had to memorize 12 silks for each race, each day.

While I know that it is much, much easier to see the orange saddlecloth on a horse closing hard down the stretch and know that the 7 is in the hunt, I don't think it's impossible to do what I wrote above. I know that when I key a horse and put a few behind him in a multi-horse wager, I know their silks a great extent of the time. On some TV feeds -- like at an OTB or restaurant -- it is easier to distinguish jockey silks than saddlecloths for the 1, 7, and 8, e.g.

It was impossible to see the slop covered silks of any horse other than the front runners at Monmouth. Maybe it was easier to see on TV, but at the track live, I couldn't pick out a horse by the silks until they passed me and I could look at their backs. Colored saddlecloths would've helped greatly.

my miss storm cat
11-29-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't know if this is the appropriate place to bring this up or not and can't remember all the details of why it took so long for the 2nd ambulance to reach Fleet Indian last year (Churchill employees following some regulations?) but i hope that never happens again.....

Ambulance availability..... just wanted to mention that.

Riot
11-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Traditional saddlecloths....and a roof :D j/k

I'll add to the email and I'm not sure if it's budgetarily or logistically feasable, but I love the camera that's mounted to a vehicle and tracks the trip along from the inside circumference of the infield....Dubai does an amazing job of this - you can feel the hoofbeats and hear them practically breathing, plus it a great close up angle of the trip

You know, I love that too ... like being in the race! Even if they only used it during the replay.

whodey17
11-30-2007, 12:18 AM
I love the idea of the moving camera like they have in Dubai. But I also would like to add a little more excitement between the races. The time between the races in extremely boring. I wish they would some sort of entertainment. Perhaps profile a different jockey inbetween races, have some singers, dancers - anything to keep the attention of the audience. How about having a betting for beginners segment at certain points in the telecast. Maybe teach people the basic of reading a program. Promote the sport as a form of an entertainment alternative.

Scav
11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
I love the idea of the moving camera like they have in Dubai. But I also would like to add a little more excitement between the races. The time between the races in extremely boring. I wish they would some sort of entertainment. Perhaps profile a different jockey inbetween races, have some singers, dancers - anything to keep the attention of the audience. How about having a betting for beginners segment at certain points in the telecast. Maybe teach people the basic of reading a program. Promote the sport as a form of an entertainment alternative.

If the BC is the person's first time at the racetrack, they won't be going back. What you are asking for regarding betting for beginners would be a good every Saturday approach to the races. Arlington does this, but they do it 'before' the race card, when no one is there. You have to make an attempt to get there early to learn, which I find odd. People would learn if they were talking about it between races for a couple minutes.

Cannon Shell
11-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Lots of good ideas though I still like the Erin Andrews replacing Hank Goldberg idea. There is no good reason to have all purple saddle towels also.
Maybe the Breeders Cup should table the idea of adding another race and use some of the money to subsidize travel to CA for the Euros and East coast and Midwest horses.

Heels1989
11-30-2007, 11:21 AM
BC at Santa Anita needs a Carolina BBQ stand. I understand the guy who runs the BBQ is not very busy. ;)

Maybe Erin would even stop by.:D

Cannon Shell
11-30-2007, 06:57 PM
BC at Santa Anita needs a Carolina BBQ stand. I understand the guy who runs the BBQ is not very busy. ;)

Maybe Erin would even stop by.:D
I would man the booth on the house with GPK and Scavs

saratogabrit
12-01-2007, 11:44 AM
They need to have the Breakfast with the Works every day from Monday until Thursday-this year it was Monday-Wednesday and on Thursday there wasn't so much as a cup of coffee for sale anywhere on the front side in the morning.

They need to move the Fan Fest back to the middle/latter part of the week rather than have it during the weekend before.

Apart from the Fan Fest they need to have more events going on that everyone can take part in and enjoy.

It will be great if you're a member of the press or an invited guest and be able to go the Press party-which may be at Universal Studios as in 2003-but what's on offer for the fans?

Sure they can lash out $600 for the Breeders' Cup Charity Bash on the Friday night.... and sit in the seats that weren't even put on sale for the great unwashed mass.

There needs to be a huge swing in favour of the many and away from the few.

sumitas
12-02-2007, 08:24 PM
I like the idea of microphones actually picking up the sounds during the race. I like the Woodbine and Keeneland position displays during a race. And all the winning connections victory celebrations should be shown. The fans should then be able to vote on the "best victory celebration" after the last race.

theiman
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
They better make sure the camera angles/levels are different than the normal cameras at SA. Losing the field behind the giant infield video board is ridiculous.

If there is a sprint turf, down the hill, I would like to see Jerry Bailey ride a horse down the hill for a real close up perspective of what the jocks see coming down the hill, a right bend and then the cushion track crossover. Perhaps a helmet cam. Bailey and I think Dettori did something similar in Dubai a few years back and it gave a different perspective than what any fan could imagine. He obviously could tape it a day or two before the BC races.

zippyneedsawin
12-03-2007, 05:43 AM
I would like to see the "on track" satellite feed show all payouts and will pays like they normally do before each race on regular days. It seems like they forget to do this sometimes on BC day. Each of the last few years, tracks neglect to show Pick 3 and Pick 4 will pays (predominately happening before the last few races--especially just before the BCC) Not really a big deal, just a thought.

On the saddle cloth 'issue' I'd like to see the regular ones used as well.

freddymo
12-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Make the BC fan appreciation day. Reduce the takeout by 25% on all wagering for all BC races.

Free DRF racing forms for all those in attendance

They should give out free analysis of all the races in depth from DRF National handicapper Mike Watchmaker. Arguably the most talented mind in the industry!

Make the place look amazing free purple BC tees for the whole crowd. 80,000 people on TV dressed in regal BC purple.

Finally, come up with a BC signature cocktail you know like that Julep on Derby day. How about Saphire with a very light splash of tonic and a piece of lime in a past champions glass?

alysheba4
12-03-2007, 03:13 PM
bring back durkin.......even as a trevor homer i admit that tom blows him out for cups.

letswastemoney
12-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I think there should be free admission for college aged women. As a younger male player, I find going to the track can be depressing sometimes. There are too many old men at the track with their big cigars shortening my lifespan. Let's lighten the place up by introducing younger women! :)

infield_line
12-04-2007, 06:14 AM
those UK coeds can't be beat.......lol

I/L

Unstable
12-04-2007, 10:13 AM
They could do this pretty easily at Santa Anita. The training track is situated in-between the main track and the turf course. They've got over 10 months to figure it out.

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-04-2007, 08:44 PM
huge fields, all stakes, 4 down the hill events over 2 days .. and priority seating for dt members!!!

cmorioles
12-12-2007, 03:30 AM
Pleased to offer everyone here the opportunity to directly contribute to changes to the 2008 Breeders' Cup. 'At the Races' regular Rick Hammerle (Director of Racing at San Anita/Del Mar) has created sabreederscup@yahoo.com as an address where you can communicate directly:

What you think the Cup is lacking..

DIRT

What you want to see as part of the TV coverage..

More talk about gambling, less pretty horsey stories
NO BC ONE COLOR SADDLECLOTHES

I can't really comment on the last two, but I may actually attend in 08.

Rootdog1
12-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Now this is a good thread.

Borntorun
12-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Love the idea of using more state of the art camera angles, I too especially love when we get to see the horses from the ground angle.

I think the manner in which the Melbourne Cup is covered by Aussie TV was great. A few examples off the top of my head are the in depth pre and post race interviews of jockeys, trainers, and owners; I also loved the way they lined up and introduced the jockeys prior to the post parade and believe it is a fantastic element that can be added to the BC races. These are just a couple simple things that may help to build interest in the game as these players do not change as frequently as the equine athletes.

A final note, please continue to include the P3, P4 & P6 payouts after each race. These are typically not included by networks covering our big race days and I was pleased to see ESPN include them this year and hope they do so again next year.

Thanks for the opportunity to offer input.

TheSpyder
10-18-2008, 06:03 AM
Well I guess will see how much they listened.

2Hot4TV
10-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Well I guess will see how much they listened.
You're going to get the same thing you got last year without the rain and 87% dirt.

The same old Trevor Denmen letting you know who "just jumped in at the 1/8 pole" and who "has too much class" as they are "moving like a winner".