PDA

View Full Version : Who was Chicken Sadie?

Dixie Porter
06-01-2006, 11:42 AM

chromer
06-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Don't you mean New York racetrackers? Not like anyone from California is going to know this.

chromer
06-01-2006, 11:59 AM
BTW: I'm from California. I just googled "Chicken Sadie" to get the answer so no props to me for getting this.

Cajungator26
06-01-2006, 01:10 PM
BTW: I'm from California. I just googled "Chicken Sadie" to get the answer so no props to me for getting this.

I googled it too... LMAO

prudery
06-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Google shmoogle. The real Chicken Sadie was a woman of color that sold her homemade fried chicken outside the tracks in metropolitan NY . When I was a kid, my dad used to drive us down from Great Neck to the track, and as a special treat, we got ten bucks to bet and Chicken Sadie chicken . Delish . Sadie had a friend named Ruby who was always at the track when she wasn't cleaning houses . My father loved her . She used to bet on Beeaza and Rocks and Bunny Boy. Years later I figured out who these jockeys were . Bunny Boy was Robert E. Wholey, Jr. He was a hot apprentice, very tall and very good looking . His father rode in the Agua Caliente Handicap that Phar Lap won, finishing second . Both junior and senior met bad ends . The father was found dead in a stall, and the son committed suicide shortly after losing the " bug " . Very sad .

paisjpq
06-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Google shmoogle. The real Chicken Sadie was a woman of color that sold her homemade fried chicken outside the tracks in metropolitan NY . When I was a kid, my dad used to drive us down from Great Neck to the track, and as a special treat, we got ten bucks to bet and Chicken Sadie chicken . Delish . Sadie had a friend named Ruby who was always at the track when she wasn't cleaning houses . My father loved her . She used to bet on Beeaza and Rocks and Bunny Boy. Years later I figured out who these jockeys were . Bunny Boy was Robert E. Wholey, Jr. He was a hot apprentice, very tall and very good looking . His father rode in the Agua Caliente Handicap that Phar Lap won, finishing second . Both junior and senior met bad ends . The father was found dead in a stall, and the son committed suicide shortly after losing the " bug " . Very sad .
you are lucky to have that connection to the history of the track--and a father that took you there

prudery
06-14-2006, 04:15 PM
you are lucky to have that connection to the history of the track--and a father that took you there
I was. I had a crazy cousin and an even crazier uncle Andre that also took me . Andre let me drink wine and treated me like an adult. He saw Seabiscuit run, but always talked about a horse named Damaged Goods that he liked to bet on . I think the name came from injuries or a fire suffered when that one was a foal . He was a randy old Frenchman that looked like George Burns, and almost lived as long .

paisjpq
06-14-2006, 05:25 PM
I was. I had a crazy cousin and an even crazier uncle Andre that also took me . Andre let me drink wine and treated me like an adult. He saw Seabiscuit run, but always talked about a horse named Damaged Goods that he liked to bet on . I think the name came from injuries or a fire suffered when that one was a foal . He was a randy old Frenchman that looked like George Burns, and almost lived as long .
fantastic! I love to hear racetrack lore--me, my family doesn't know which end eats.

whorstman
06-14-2006, 05:30 PM

Well, I never knew a "Chicken Sadie", but my Dad used to tell the secretery at my grade school that I had a dentist appointment so he could get me out of school early to make post time of race 1. :cool:

paisjpq
06-14-2006, 05:34 PM
keep the tales coming guys...

prudery
06-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Well, I never knew a "Chicken Sadie", but my Dad used to tell the secretery at my grade school that I had a dentist appointment so he could get me out of school early to make post time of race 1. :cool:
I once wanted to cut school to go to the races, so I had the brilliant idea of calling the school Nurse Ratched (sp) pretending to be my mother reporting my illness. The old cow knew it was me, and told me to ' cut the crap' . Didn't know she had it in her. Of course I didn't get to the track that day .