PDA

View Full Version : Question for Chicago/Arlington folks

NTamm1215
11-05-2007, 04:48 PM
I have never been to Arlington before and am planning, as of today, to go to the Arlington Million. It is unknown right now when the official date will be, but I'm thinking August 9th (It was on the 17th in 2003 so that's why I'm unsure).

Anyway, what is the best place to sit if you've never been to Arlington before? I noticed that there are a large amount of options between grandstand, clubhouse, boxes, etc.

Any advice you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks!

NT

Scav
11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
I have never been to Arlington before and am planning, as of today, to go to the Arlington Million. It is unknown right now when the official date will be, but I'm thinking August 9th (It was on the 17th in 2003 so that's why I'm unsure).

Anyway, what is the best place to sit if you've never been to Arlington before? I noticed that there are a large amount of options between grandstand, clubhouse, boxes, etc.

Any advice you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks!

NT

it will be on the 16th. you can sit anywhere and enjoy the day. Boxes are very expensive on that day but the grandstand seating is affordable. It is baseball type seating in the grandstand and the boxes (TV and non TV) are more towards the finish line. It does get pretty nuts there because it is the place to be at in the Chicago area on that specific day.

If you are looking for comfort, I would get a grandstand seat, if you are a baller, then i would get a box, but the general admission is not bad either, if you get there at opening, you can get a table for free, but early is like 8am.

Cannon Shell
11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
it will be on the 16th. you can sit anywhere and enjoy the day. Boxes are very expensive on that day but the grandstand seating is affordable. It is baseball type seating in the grandstand and the boxes (TV and non TV) are more towards the finish line. It does get pretty nuts there because it is the place to be at in the Chicago area on that specific day.

If you are looking for comfort, I would get a grandstand seat, if you are a baller, then i would get a box, but the general admission is not bad either, if you get there at opening, you can get a table for free, but early is like 8am.
What would qualify you as a 'baller'?

Scav
11-05-2007, 05:59 PM
What would qualify you as a 'baller'?

Someone that wouldn't bitch about spending $540 for a box(6 seats) on the finish line. My seats this year, which were comped to my dad, were $90 a person, and we were about 15 feet after the finish line.....

NTamm1215
11-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Scav,

Thanks for the tips. $540 is a lot for a box, no doubt about it. I'll have to investigate it more as it gets closer.

Thanks!

NT

Cannon Shell
11-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Someone that wouldn't bitch about spending $540 for a box(6 seats) on the finish line. My seats this year, which were comped to my dad, were $90 a person, and we were about 15 feet after the finish line.....
So you are a baller?

Scav
11-05-2007, 08:44 PM
So you are a baller?

not at all. I am as far from a baller as possible, especially right now. I just reep the benefits of having a dad that likes to play the horses, wonder where I got it from.

GBBob
11-06-2007, 08:13 AM
not at all. I am as far from a baller as possible, especially right now. I just reep the benefits of having a dad that likes to play the horses, wonder where I got it from.

I have never heard that term before and am not sure I would ever want to be called it, no matter how much I spent, or was comped on seats.

Baller...wtf?

Scav
11-06-2007, 09:08 AM
I have never heard that term before and am not sure I would ever want to be called it, no matter how much I spent, or was comped on seats.

Baller...wtf?

It is a 'status' term, it is part of the vocab for people 14-35. It comes from the one hit rapper Lil' Troy, in his song "Wanna be a Baller"

"Wanna be a baller, shot caller, 20 inch blades on the impala, caller, getting laid tonight"

brianwspencer
11-06-2007, 09:51 AM
I've been getting decent seats around the 1/16 pole for years now -- you can get them for a good price. They have sort of "boxes" up there with eight seats in them, but you don't have to buy the whole thing -- you can just buy a couple seats and then share it with people you don't know. They're pretty well-priced and you get a great view of the racing.

GBBob
11-06-2007, 10:20 AM
It is a 'status' term, it is part of the vocab for people 14-35. It comes from the one hit rapper Lil' Troy, in his song "Wanna be a Baller"

"Wanna be a baller, shot caller, 20 inch blades on the impala, caller, getting laid tonight"

lol....first a cribber, now a baller..Scavs you are a freakin dictionary

GPK
11-06-2007, 10:20 AM

for once....I am speechless

Scav
11-06-2007, 10:24 AM
lol....first a cribber, now a baller..Scavs you are a freakin dictionary

I am the wrong kind of dictionary. A slang dictionary. Byk throws words out there that I have NEVER heard of, and will probably never hear again.

jwkniska
12-02-2007, 08:21 PM

Go when the gates open and get one of the benches a few rows up right at the finish line (gen admission seating).... I do it every year.

hi_im_god
12-02-2007, 08:36 PM

i'm over 50 and have been hearing this since college. i think it was a sports term that transitioned to other usage. a guy who had game was a baller.

think that's still the case.

hoovesupsideyourhead
12-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Scav,

Thanks for the tips. $540 is a lot for a box, no doubt about it. I'll have to investigate it more as it gets closer.

Thanks!

NT
go to 2nd floor bar.. see the "fat man"..tip a 20...your spot will not be challenged...........