PDA

View Full Version : Breeder's Cup

NoChanceToDance
10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Can this really be true.

I've just read on a certain networking site that at this years BC (maybe at all of them, i'm not sure) that jockeys were getting charged for parking permits, and owners are also charged for entry badges.

Surely this cannot be true for something that is billed as the "world championships"

Also, Sam Houston the "likely" host for the BC in 2010...... this has to be a joke, right? Apparently this was written in the Monmouth race programme.

Ronnie
10-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Did they beat out Dubai?

dylbert
10-29-2007, 06:08 PM
First post in Dubai... 4am? Classic will run at noon. Then, you will have time to play afternoon cards of US racetracks.

NoChanceToDance
10-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Did they beat out Dubai?

Was there any reason for deleting your previous sensible post?

I asked a question. If jocks and owners really do have to pay, that is just stupid.

Ronnie
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
There's was a thread here already, I'm not sure what the resolution was.

http://derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17552&highlight=monmouth

NoChanceToDance
10-29-2007, 06:35 PM
There's was a thread here already, I'm not sure what the resolution was.

http://derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17552&highlight=monmouth

Okay, thanks.

I apologise. i didn't see that thread. I did have a quick look to see if anything had been posted but i obviously didn't look hard enough.

Sorry.

Ronnie
10-29-2007, 06:41 PM
This article says they will choose 2009 in July?

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=38514

I've seen Mountaineer as the frontrunner for 2009 and Dubai for 2010. I'm sure there are helpful people on this board that will clarify that.

Peter Berry
10-29-2007, 07:01 PM

I've seen Mountaineer as the frontrunner for 2009 and Dubai for 2010. I'm sure there are helpful people on this board that will clarify that.

Bring it on!

Scav
10-29-2007, 07:08 PM

You have really lost your mind if you think Mountaineer will get the Breeder's Cup. They have as much shot as Penn National and Fairmount Park

NTamm1215
10-29-2007, 07:36 PM
You have really lost your mind if you think Mountaineer will get the Breeder's Cup. They have as much shot as Penn National and Fairmount Park

Or Sam Houston.

pmayjr
10-29-2007, 07:43 PM
If y9ou guys aren't joking... even Canterbury has a chance down the road lol

Metal Man
10-29-2007, 07:49 PM
A frozen track would be better than what we saw this weekend.

Danzig
10-29-2007, 08:09 PM
it's going to be in my backyard in 2013.

HaloWishingwell
10-29-2007, 08:11 PM
with what they charge the fans for seats I wouldn't be surprised what the B.C. committee charges anyone or do.

GPK
10-29-2007, 09:05 PM
It needs to be at Tampa Bay Downs one year.

Party at Bigs house...

MaTH716
10-29-2007, 09:20 PM
It was sloppy, but it was fair. I think for the amount of rain that they recieved they did a pretty damn good job.

Scav
10-29-2007, 09:24 PM

More so, how can you control torrential downpours? I agree that it sucked for the players but you can't fault for Monmouth for that. They did the best they could with the hand they are dealt.

Riot
10-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Do you think the BC races should have been delayed (due to track conditions) for a day? A week?

Zaf
10-29-2007, 10:16 PM
I was there and felt they did a great job of hosting it despite the weather and unfortunate event that occurred in the classic. Staff was very pleasant & tellers were abundant. Never had to wait long for anything (Beer, Food, Bathroom Lines, most cases able to bet right before Post-Time) etc. Staff did a very good job IMHO. Weather was not their fault.

Scurlogue Champ
10-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Churchill will act like they don't want it and say they need more money from the BC since the revenue isn't there.

The tax incentives and boosted interest/handle will possibly put it there every year.

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Like Royal Ascot but all in one day.

Cannon Shell
10-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Do you think the BC races should have been delayed (due to track conditions) for a day? A week?
Unless there was a danger to the participants because of the surface there should not be a delay in the races. Weather is part of the game. They didn't delay the Super Bowl because it was raining did they?

Riot
10-29-2007, 10:26 PM
It's the "danger from the surface" part that some are championing.

What is your professional opinion on sloppy tracks? Do you base it upon the individual animal?

Cannon Shell
10-29-2007, 10:47 PM
It's the "danger from the surface" part that some are championing.

What is your professional opinion on sloppy tracks? Do you base it upon the individual animal?
It is just too politically correct to talk of delaying the races because of rain. A few years ago they moved a grass stake at Tampa from Sat to Tuesday because of rain. Except it never rained, was sunny and 70.

How do you know if the weather wont get worse in another day? What if you delay it a week and the weather is worse then?

If there were a rash of breakdowns that occurred I could see where people may question the track. But of all the horses that you thought may not finish a race on Sat would you not have made GW 3/5 to be the one?

hockey2315
10-29-2007, 10:54 PM
But of all the horses that you thought may not finish a race on Sat would you not have made GW 3/5 to be the one?

I would've said Bordonaro

Cannon Shell
10-29-2007, 11:45 PM
I would've said Bordonaro
he was 3/2

sumitas
10-29-2007, 11:56 PM
GW was out of his element on a completely foreign surface in a foreign land. It was a high risk decision and his management will have to live with that. Unfortunately GW cannot.

pointman
10-30-2007, 12:04 AM
It is just too politically correct to talk of delaying the races because of rain. A few years ago they moved a grass stake at Tampa from Sat to Tuesday because of rain. Except it never rained, was sunny and 70.

How do you know if the weather wont get worse in another day? What if you delay it a week and the weather is worse then?

If there were a rash of breakdowns that occurred I could see where people may question the track. But of all the horses that you thought may not finish a race on Sat would you not have made GW 3/5 to be the one?

You really have to wonder what made the connections put this horse in this race. Really, the horse had no chance, what were they thinking?

The Indomitable DrugS
10-30-2007, 12:09 AM
he was 3/2

A shorter price than Greg's Gold with the past tendon issues?

infield_line
10-30-2007, 06:24 AM
I would make a trip down from Connecticut after seeing the place....

I don't know what the ramifications would be to postpone the event in the face of extreme weather... probably be a disaster from the standpoint of TV, people's travel, lodging.... I'm sure they had little choice but to hunker down and take it

I/L

bmont22
10-30-2007, 09:37 AM
They run at Aqueduct in 35 degree weather two days after a snow storm, the rain was nothing. Through the night Oceanport received no more than an inch of rain and by post time it was barely raining. It looked alot worse then it was.
I was there and I have to say Monmouth did a tremendous job hosting.

Port Conway Lane
10-30-2007, 09:55 AM
They run at Aqueduct in 35 degree weather two days after a snow storm, the rain was nothing. Through the night Oceanport received no more than an inch of rain and by post time it was barely raining. It looked alot worse then it was.
I was there and I have to say Monmouth did a tremendous job hosting.
They did do a fine job hosting with one exception. After the Classic ended only the outer turnstiles were open for people to exit and the security then attempted to close the one on the far right.Made absolutely no sense.

Bigsmc
10-30-2007, 11:19 AM
It needs to be at Tampa Bay Downs one year.

Party at Bigs house...

Hell yeah.

I'll need to tidy up a bit...

Bigsmc
10-30-2007, 11:20 AM

I was livid.

They are proud of that turf course. It doesn't take much more than a light mist for them to take the races off.

Cannon Shell
10-30-2007, 11:28 AM
A shorter price than Greg's Gold with the past tendon issues?
9/5

Ronnie
10-30-2007, 11:55 AM
I don't think you can compare what happens at Aqueduct to the Breeder's Cup.

NoChanceToDance
10-30-2007, 01:03 PM
You really have to wonder what made the connections put this horse in this race. Really, the horse had no chance, what were they thinking?

I tend to agree.

On a normal dirt surface it might not have been so bad. I mean, i'd guess most if not all of the dirt runners at the BC had experienced the slop in one way or another before.

George tried the track out on Friday morning, but at that time it wasn't too bad. I think the track had only just decided to change it to 'muddy'. What worried me was to hear the vets say that once a track gets that sloppy, the horses are basically running on the hard base of the surface. That may or may not have led to the injury. We will never know.

GW had never experienced that before and because he was climbing to get away from the kickback, it probably meant his hooves were hitting the surface harded than they normally would.

I'm not convinced Aidan wanted to run him in the Classic at all, even weeks and months before the race. Aidan had never even mentioned the Classic and then all of a sudden he came out with the plan was to take George to the Classic as if he had been told that is what was happening by Magnier and Co. If the ownered want to run a horse, there is little a trainer can do to prevent thier wish.

I'm guessing here, but it seemed to me that Magnier wanted as many runners as possible at this year's BC. The Turf was never an option for DT until the last moment. It was as if someone tapped Aidan on the shoulder one day and said "they will BOTH run in America".

disappearingdan_akaplaya
10-30-2007, 03:01 PM
I was livid.

They are proud of that turf course. It doesn't take much more than a light mist for them to take the races off.

same with RD in cincy

bmont22
10-31-2007, 10:57 AM
I don't think you can compare what happens at Aqueduct to the Breeder's Cup.

Why not?
We get the same $10.80 on a 15k claimer in late January as we got for Curlin.
I don't think the BC horses should be treated different in poor conditions then a 15k claimer at Aqueduct.