PDA

View Full Version : Nobiz Like Shobiz

miles2135
10-28-2007, 09:30 PM
I was very surprised by his performance in the mile. He ran a very close 4th and was wide the whole way. He was a length behind one of the best euro milers in that performance. It was good to see him do well. Hopefully he can repeat or improve on his form in the Jamaica and the BC next year.

Cannon Shell
10-28-2007, 09:31 PM
I was very surprised by his performance in the mile. He ran a very close 4th and was wide the whole way. He was a length behind one of the best euro milers in that performance. It was good to see him do well. Hopefully he can repeat or improve on his form in the Jamaica and the BC next year.
Thanks Barclay..:D

Kasept
10-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Talked with Tagg after they crossed the wire until joined by Velazquez. Initially, Barcley was annoyed with JV being wide, particularly on the turn. He complained that when taking the turn that wide you loose all the punch you need in the dash home down the lane. He would have prefered that Johnny wait in amongst horses through the turn and then go for an opening: the exact play Kip Deville employed.

But once JV came over, he.explained that Nobiz was uncomfortable covered up and didn't get into it until he was more in the open. He said it wasn't what he wanted to do but that the horse wasn't going to give him run from inside as he was cocking his head and dodging divots.

Tagg said 'OK.. You did the right thing' and seemed placated with the explanation. It was a very credible effort on a difficult surface. Will be an even better horse at 4. Tagg got a lot more out of this colt than appeared available at Derby time.

the_fat_man
10-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Talked with Tagg after they crossed the wire until joined by Velazquez. Initially, Barcley was annoyed with JV being wide, particularly on the turn. He complained that when taking the turn that wide you loose all the punch you need in the dash home down the lane. He would have prefered that Johnny wait in amongst horses through the turn and then go for an opening: the exact play Kip Deville employed.

But once JV came over, he.explained that Nobiz was uncomfortable covered up and didn't get into it until he was more in the open. He said it wasn't what he wanted to do but that the horse wasn't going to give him run from inside as he was cocking his head and dodging divots.

Tagg said 'OK.. You did the right thing' and seemed placated with the explanation. It was a very credible effort on a difficult surface. Will be an even better horse at 4. Tagg got a lot more out of this colt than appeared available at Derby time.

I wouldn't buy it given JV's turf style, which is typically, NEEDLESSLY WIDE.
With that aside, the winner got a perfect setup, got clear at just the right time, and the race held well given the number of with-the-pace types in it. NoCount was in fairly good position and just couldn't get it done. I suppose they'd be picking Tagg up off the ground if he was the trainer of Trippi's Storm or HOST (great ride GG), after the trips they got. All they needed was 10 more strides.

pgardn
10-28-2007, 10:27 PM
With that aside, the winner got a perfect setup, got clear at just the right time, and the race held well given the number of with-the-pace types in it. NoCount was in fairly good position and just couldn't get it done. I suppose they'd be picking Tagg up off the ground if he was the trainer of Trippi's Storm or HOST (great ride GG), after the trips they got. All they needed was 10 more strides.

I dont doubt JV's assessment of Nobiz. He is a talented head case.

golfer
10-29-2007, 05:41 AM
I agree, Kip DeVille had an absolutely perfect, ground saving trip, which is very often the difference between winning and losing on the turf. NoBiz, who I played, ran extremely well while wide throughout. I did think JV moved prematurely, using him up while passing horses on the turn. I'm with Barclay's original opinion. He would have had a better chance if he waited until after the turn to ask him to run. Even if he had kept him wide to avoid the clumps, he could have saved something for the stretch.

Revidere
11-01-2007, 01:51 PM

Didn't appear wide in the Turf Classic

Travis Stone
11-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Ifs, buts, candy and nuts -- Nobiz had a tough trip and will be an ultra-solid horse next year. When was the last time the winner of a turf race did not receive an near perfect trip? It's what it takes to win!