PDA

View Full Version : Did the rail...

pmayjr
10-27-2007, 06:29 PM
...backfire for Borel and Street Sense today? I don't think he beats Curlin, but did the rail hurt him in that slop today?

SniperSB23
10-27-2007, 06:36 PM
...backfire for Borel and Street Sense today? I don't think he beats Curlin, but did the rail hurt him in that slop today?

No

ALostTexan
10-27-2007, 06:41 PM
He just didn't look 'on' today. A bit sluggish throughout the race, and no final kick at the end that we are used to seeing.

Danzig
10-27-2007, 06:47 PM
i think it was just more tailing off. he didn't look the same in the ky cup as he did in the spring on poly...
but then, that track was a mess. all came down to who handled the slop. he obviously didn't. shame that the weather had a hand in things. but the best overcome. he was fun while he lasted, they all were. i'm just gratified that the top three in may were still around come late oct.

not so gratified at who won today, but what can you do?

HaloWishingwell
10-27-2007, 06:56 PM
The rail helped many horses today. STREET SENSE ran up the rail like he likes while saving ground. I think he didn't improve from the Spring until now as much as others. He won the Derby but then lost the Preakness narrowly. Just hangs on against GRASSHOPPER in The Travers. Loses to HARD SPUN which wasn't a good spot for him granted. But today he got clocked by a better horse in CURLIN.

Danzig
10-27-2007, 06:59 PM
The rail helped many horses today. STREET SENSE ran up the rail like he likes while saving ground. I think he didn't improve from the Spring until now as much as others. He won the Derby but then lost the Preakness narrowly. Just hangs on against GRASSHOPPER in The Travers. Loses to HARD SPUN which wasn't a good spot for him granted. But today he got clocked by a better horse in CURLIN.

where's that vomitorium morty mentioned?

King Glorious
10-28-2007, 12:45 AM
I love when I see the "didn't like the track" excuse for losses. I thought it was funny when Hystericalady lost the Lady's Secret by a nose and it was said that she didn't like the track. Street Sense ran his race. He was handling the track fine all the way around. He was making his customary big move and came around the turn stride for stride with Curlin. If he didn't like the track, he wouldn't have run at all over it. He was running his race and when he got up there with the leader, he didn't have the needed response. That was him, not the track.

The Indomitable DrugS
10-28-2007, 01:36 AM
I thought it was funny when Hystericalady lost the Lady's Secret by a nose and it was said that she didn't like the track.

I think it's more that she doesn't like synthetic surfaces....as some one-dimensional speed routers dont.

The horse who beat her in the Lady's Secret didn't exactly finish close today.

Dunbar
10-28-2007, 05:56 AM
i think it was just more tailing off. he didn't look the same in the ky cup as he did in the spring on poly...
but then, that track was a mess. all came down to who handled the slop. he obviously didn't. shame that the weather had a hand in things. but the best overcome. he was fun while he lasted, they all were. i'm just gratified that the top three in may were still around come late oct.

not so gratified at who won today, but what can you do?

Actually, I was totally gratified. If the 4-yr-old with 26 lifetime starts couldn't win it, I'd rather see it go to a 3-yr-old who at least MIGHT be around next year.

Street Sense, Hard Spun, and AGS are all very nice horses, but you know what? They haven't done enough.

--Dunbar

cmorioles
10-28-2007, 07:07 AM
Coco Belle had some decent efforts on fake dirt too, but it doesn't mean she liked the track. She hates the stuff but much like Hysterical Lady, her talent keeps her close.

NoChanceToDance
10-28-2007, 07:44 AM
I agree with most of the comments here. Street Sense was good enough last year and good enough in the Spring year this year, but that was more likely because of him being vastly more experienced and 'battle hardened'.

As the year has gone on his limitations were getting exposed. First in the preakness, where Curlin was still an inexperienced horse but still managed to get the win.

The Travers was very disappointing, and it was than i started to wonder if this horse was as good as many were saying. I took the opinion he had been overhyped.

Then this so called 'prep' i wasn't happy with that run at all, and i think it was only the people who really liked this horse that were happy with this run. I said back then that Hard Spun was by far the best there. So many excuses for that run, but i can't say i bought any of them.

All the while, Curlin kept improving and probably still is improving.

Sure, Street Sense was the best 3yo in the Derby, but through experience alone in my opinion.

No excuses yesterday, he just wasn't good enough. and on that show i hold my opinion that he has been overrated by many.

Danzig
10-28-2007, 08:44 AM
but he doesn't have a choice in who owns him...hell, i even put some $ on precious kitten, and i think her owners are the scum of the earth....how much did u lose by not playin curlin ziggy???? nevermind... i know the answer

i didn't have any money on any of the races. i live where no betting is allowed other than at the track, and i had no plans to travel to hot springs this wknd.
but nice try.

Danzig
10-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Actually, I was totally gratified. If the 4-yr-old with 26 lifetime starts couldn't win it, I'd rather see it go to a 3-yr-old who at least MIGHT be around next year.

Street Sense, Hard Spun, and AGS are all very nice horses, but you know what? They haven't done enough.

--Dunbar

that's true...i know i had said a few weeks ago that i didn't want any with a future at darley to win. but i couldn't help but hope hard spun would do well, and he did. altho not well enough to get #200 for danzig.

and you're right, they haven't done enough.
funny in a sad way, that people will say they want them back...but if one was to run and suffer injury like george did yesterday, then it was wrong to bring them back...can't win for losing in this sport.

Danzig
10-28-2007, 10:36 AM
i didn't have any money on any of the races.

i knew that...but no otbs either??????????????????
at least, if you were to put your money where your mouth was, u could get a tvg account, couldn't you?

man...it's gettin claustrophopic in here...i gotta get ready to get outta here into the big city-GO BEARS!!!! (i need the $ after yesterday, how come the more i win the more i lose? nevermind...i know the answer to that too)

no otbs in arkansas, and i'm not allowed to bet online, or thru a tvg account-i've checked. all has to do with the bible belt mentality down here. i also live in a dry county btw. my youngest graduates in three years, we may make a move then.

Danzig
10-28-2007, 10:43 AM
lol...my first beer will be for you (and george)

hope it's good and cold.

pmayjr
10-28-2007, 03:35 PM
I love when I see the "didn't like the track" excuse for losses. I thought it was funny when Hystericalady lost the Lady's Secret by a nose and it was said that she didn't like the track. Street Sense ran his race. He was handling the track fine all the way around. He was making his customary big move and came around the turn stride for stride with Curlin. If he didn't like the track, he wouldn't have run at all over it. He was running his race and when he got up there with the leader, he didn't have the needed response. That was him, not the track.

I didn't make the excuse... I was just posing the question. I clearly also said that I don't think he beats Curlin regardles...

JJP
10-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Street Sense appears to not like a sloppy track. His worst race of 2006 was when he got beat by Officer Rocket in the Arlington Washington Futurity in the slop.

HaloWishingwell
10-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Slop in 2006 when he was a 2 year old. Yesterday he was a matured three year old. He just got his ass beat. He was the two year old champ who peaked early this year and didn't improve as the year went on.

JJP
10-29-2007, 07:12 AM
And your point is?????

He didn't like slop as a 2YO and he didn't like it as a 3YO.

NoChanceToDance
10-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Slop in 2006 when he was a 2 year old. Yesterday he was a matured three year old. He just got his ass beat. He was the two year old champ who peaked early this year and didn't improve as the year went on.

I agree with this.

I find the "he didn't like the slop" a very poor excuse. When a horse doesn't like a surface they won't go a yard on it. Street Sense travelled through the race just as easily as Curlin did, but at the end of the day he was beaten like a drum, and he isn't good enough.

Danzig
10-29-2007, 07:46 AM
altho he did eke out a win in the travers, I guess it would be safe to say that his narrow loss in the preakness, and his narrow win at saratoga were indications that he had been caught by his peers. certainly his poly run behind hard spun at turfway was nowhere near the run he put in at keeneland in the bluegrass. still a good horse, but he lost his eclipse on saturday.

HaloWishingwell
10-29-2007, 07:51 AM
And your point is?????

He didn't like slop as a 2YO and he didn't like it as a 3YO.

That the slop was a poor excuse. He ran his race. Fell back and was side by side the eventual winner. Saved ground on the rail and got outkicked by CURLIN. CURLIN'S move was just too much for him and Borel knew it was over at that point.

pointman
10-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Face it, Street Sense was overhyped and needed a race with real horses to set up for him. Curlin is a much better horse and is still improving.

Riot
10-30-2007, 09:55 AM
I don't think Street Sense has been overhyped at all - he's an extremely accomplished horse, obviously one of the tops in his division, far above the rest of the crop. Even with Nafsger at the helm, I would think it's difficult to keep a horse running at the top of his game for a year - but Nafsger did it. Street Sense was beaten by an improving and deserving Curlin. Hard Spun danced all the dances. Tiago, AGS knocking on the door.

It's a shame they can't all take a few months off, and come back as 4-year-olds. Wouldn't that be a great handicap division! Would they spend the year trading off wins, or would one of them dominate?

cmorioles
10-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Face it, Street Sense was overhyped and needed a race with real horses to set up for him. Curlin is a much better horse and is still improving.

I think it is pretty hard to over hype a horse that won the BC Juvenile, the Kentucky Derby, and the Travers.

Danzig
10-30-2007, 04:15 PM
i think street sense was a good horse, i don't think he was overhyped.
as for saying curlin is still improving....not necessarily.