PDA

View Full Version : The Triple Crown, & the BCC

miraja2
10-27-2007, 05:07 PM
I hope that Curlin and Hard Spun finally helped to lay to rest the absurd notion that the Triple Crown races in general - and the Belmont Stakes in particular - "ruins" horses for their fall campaign. We heard a lot of that sort of nonsense this spring, and although I think most of us already knew it was a bunch of crap, these two colts demonstrated it today in a big way.
Not only did they both run in ALL THREE TC races, Curlin was involved in two tough stretch battles with very good horses in the last two legs of the TC races. Despite this spring campaign that some felt would destroy his chances for a good fall campaign, he finished up his year with victories in the JCGC and the BCC. Not too shabby. Hard Spun, meanwhile, spent his fall winning a G1, a G2, and just finished second in the BCC.
Hopefully, that means we won't have to hear such nonsense again next spring.

Cannon Shell
10-27-2007, 05:09 PM
I hope that Curlin and Hard Spun finally helped to lay to rest the absurd notion that the Triple Crown races in general - and the Belmont Stakes in particular - "ruins" horses for their fall campaign. We heard a lot of that sort of nonsense this spring, and although I think most of us already knew it was a bunch of crap, these two colts demonstrated it today in a big way.
Not only did they both run in all three TC races, Curlin was involved in two tough stretch battles with very good horses in the last two legs of the TC races. Despite this spring campaign that some felt would destroy his chances for a good fall campaign, he finished up his year with victories in the JCGC and the BCC. Not too shabby. Hard Spun, meanwhile, spent his fall winning a G1, a G2, and just finished second in the BCC.
Speed bias ruins horses

NoChanceToDance
10-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Curlin put up a monster display today, and i was over the moon with Hard Spun.

I'm sorry, but i was also very happy with Street sense finishing off the board. I have always thought he was an overhyped horse, who was good when these other great horses were still inexperienced. Now he is miles behind though.

What sort of Beyer will Curlin get for this? 125ish?

Cannon Shell
10-27-2007, 05:25 PM
I will guess 118

Merlinsky
10-27-2007, 05:43 PM
What about his owners...5-10?

Danzig
10-27-2007, 05:46 PM
What about his owners...5-10?

3-5.

so what now with curlin? possibly the best three year old, and no deal because of who he's attached to. ah, cruel irony. two of the guys trumpeting the call for honesty and integrity, and they can't get a deal for what may be their best ever because of the co-owners.

fpsoxfan
10-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Not only did they both run in ALL THREE TC races, Curlin was involved in two tough stretch battles with very good horses in the last two legs of the TC races. Despite this spring campaign that some felt would destroy his chances for a good fall campaign, he finished up his year with victories in the JCGC and the BCC. Not too shabby. Hard Spun, meanwhile, spent his fall winning a G1, a G2, and just finished second in the BCC.

Excellent Point. You are 100% correct

Cannon Shell
10-27-2007, 06:01 PM
3-5.

so what now with curlin? possibly the best three year old, and no deal because of who he's attached to. ah, cruel irony. two of the guys trumpeting the call for honesty and integrity, and they can't get a deal for what may be their best ever because of the co-owners.
They will get the money eventually

Merlinsky
10-27-2007, 06:11 PM
I was so busy processing the rest of today and the Classic that I didn't even notice the time. 2:00.59

Not half bad... (Does that win the Eclipse award for outstanding understatement of 2007?)

Cannon Shell
10-27-2007, 06:17 PM
I was so busy processing the rest of today and the Classic that I didn't even notice the time. 2:00.59

Not half bad... (Does that win the Eclipse award for outstanding understatement of 2007?)
very good time considering the distaff

avance2000
10-28-2007, 10:05 AM
given what happened to r2r, i imagine they'll still be saying it.