PDA

View Full Version : George Washington???

my miss storm cat
10-27-2007, 04:49 PM
What happened?

my miss storm cat
10-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Anyone know what's happening?

my miss storm cat
10-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Oh my God. He's gone.

Cannon Shell
brokedown, left ankle

txshorns02
fratured an ankle and had to be euthanized

Payson Dave
Was put down....very sad

NoChanceToDance
Close to tears here

Coach Pants
Conler(sp?) fracture - Ankle

He's gone. I'm sorry.

Merlinsky
RIP Gorgeous George. Dislocated ankle, open fracture. Blood supply shot. I'm so so sorry for him and his people. How terrible.

declansharbor
10-27-2007, 04:53 PM
So sad to hear that he had to put down after the condylar fracture. R I P GW, may the grass be greener on the other side.

Merlinsky
10-27-2007, 04:55 PM
My heart goes out to Roy and Gretchen Jackson. How hard a year 2007 has been.

Suffolk Shippers
10-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Never looked comfortable out there, terrible tragedy. Marred a nice afternoon of action.

NoChanceToDance
10-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Rotten day for the euros.

Don't really know what to say.

I hate this sport sometimes.

Good night, George, thanks for the memories.

Merlinsky
10-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Until this there'd been no injuries right? And Dr. Larry said this injury wasn't due to the track condition.

Seattleallstar
10-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Shouldnt of raced anymore the first time he came up lame, but oh well. Must be a sad time with the Irish contingent, everything went wrong and top it off GW had to die. RIP GW you could of been of the best

my miss storm cat
10-27-2007, 05:03 PM
"When he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,
And pay no worship to the garish sun."
~ William Shakespeare,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsqwv8jZI5E

Goodbye, brilliant boy. You were loved and will NEVER be forgotten.

You leave us with holes in our hearts...

Gutted.

http://www.newmarketracecourses.co.uk/uploaded_files/Racing/george_washington.jpg

Danzig
10-27-2007, 05:08 PM
not sure why, but as soon as they said something was wrong, i felt that it was george. a beauty and full of talent. star crossed for sure. my condolences to the jacksons, coolmore and aob, and anyone else touched by this horse in his all too brief time. it's always those behind the scenes who take it hardest, the groom, the exercise rider....i was hoping he would do well today, for danehill if nothing else.
what a rotten ending to a rotten race.

NoChanceToDance
10-27-2007, 05:15 PM
not sure why, but as soon as they said something was wrong, i felt that it was george. a beauty and full of talent. star crossed for sure. my condolences to the jacksons, coolmore and aob, and anyone else touched by this horse in his all too brief time. it's always those behind the scenes who take it hardest, the groom, the exercise rider....i was hoping he would do well today, for danehill if nothing else.

I have sent my condolences to the Aidan O'Brien team.

Merlinsky
10-27-2007, 05:19 PM

This is gonna sound bad but when it first happened (I couldn't quite tell who'd finished since some were bay and covered in mud) I was like "oh no, not Tiago." He was a sentimental fave of mine all year. Then I realized it was George and I felt sick.

ALostTexan
10-27-2007, 05:19 PM
He truly gave us everything he had on the track. I was really excited to see him back this year, yet this has put a real damper on a great day of racing.

sumitas
10-27-2007, 05:23 PM
He was retired. I guess Coolmore must be short of horses or money to bring him back like they did.

Danzig
10-27-2007, 05:24 PM
He was retired. I guess Coolmore must be short of horses or money to bring him back like they did.

he was having fertility problems. only got a handful of mares in foal.
where have you been?

short of money, gimme a break.

sumitas
10-27-2007, 05:27 PM
get real. he was retired and Coolemore's greed makes them wring every last dime out of the horse. he's a turf horse and they bring him over here to run in the slop ? shame on Coolemore.

Danzig
10-27-2007, 05:29 PM
sumitas, what is your problem? everyone knows about his fertility issues, the rush to retirement of their 3 yo by danehill to take his place, and george's return to the track.
he ran in the classic a year ago, none the worse for wear. it's what racehorses do.

maybe you should watch figure skating instead?

miraja2
10-27-2007, 05:31 PM
sumitas, what is your problem? everyone knows about his fertility issues, the rush to retirement of their 3 yo by danehill to take his place, and george's return to the track.
he ran in the classic a year ago, none the worse for wear. it's what racehorses do.

maybe you should watch figure skating instead?
Once they switch to synthetic ice instead of the real thing....count him in.

sumitas
10-27-2007, 05:31 PM
you must be in management, soaking every last ounce of energy out of your wage slaves. go work for coolemore. they exploit every last dying breath out of their horses. something you are very comfortable with, it seems.

Danzig
10-27-2007, 05:32 PM
you must be in management, soaking every last ounce of energy out of your wage slaves. go work for coolemore. they exploit every last dying breath out of their horses. something you are very comfortable with, it seems.

lol

to quote peter from family guy

'you drunk'

sumitas
10-27-2007, 05:33 PM
go whip some people and release your tension grrrrl

Danzig
10-27-2007, 05:35 PM
go whip some people and release your tension grrrrl

it's saturday, my wage slaves whip themselves on wknds, i'll be back on monday to straighten them up for the next week.:rolleyes:

sumitas
10-27-2007, 05:37 PM
where's dahoss, mums wants him...aw the heck with it i'm done with him, lol. have fun and don't spend your winnings all in one place ;)

Merlinsky
10-27-2007, 05:39 PM
he was having fertility problems. only got a handful of mares in foal.

I heard 6. Is that accurate? At least we have some of him to carry on. You know, Domino only had 14 offspring before his untimely loss as a stallion. Doesn't mean the influence is gone.

The Bid
10-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Disgusting that they would run that horse today. Should be ashamed of themselves

Danzig
10-27-2007, 05:42 PM
i see some don't wait til monday to do their quarterbacking. how nice to always be right after knowing the outcome.

there's redboarding, so what's this? surely a good name for it.

Danzig
10-27-2007, 05:43 PM
I heard 6. Is that accurate? At least we have some of him to carry on. You know, Domino only had 14 offspring before his untimely loss as a stallion. Doesn't mean the influence is gone.

yeah, old crazy domino. they had to blindfold him to get his jock on his back, domino despised the guy. thank goodness for broad brush, and now his son Include, to keep the domino line going.

NoChanceToDance
10-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Just got a text from a good friend of mine who works at Aidan's, she and everyone just feels sick at the moment. I think she is still at home in France, but she has been in contact with a few of her work collegues.

George was loved, he was a real character and i think he was the favourite horse in the yard from the groom's point of view.

She went through the same heartbreak in the Epsom Derby when Horatio Nelson broke down. She rode him every morning and travelled europe with him.

I hate to think how George's groom is feeling right now.

fpsoxfan
10-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Disgusting that they would run that horse today. Should be ashamed of themselves

Agreed. Especially if he's had problems. It's all about the $

Danzig
10-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Just got a text from a good friend of mine who works at Aidan's, she and everyone just feels sick at the moment. I think she is still at home in France, but she has been in contact with a few of her work collegues.

George was loved, he was a real character and i think he was the favourite horse in the yard from the groom's point of view.

She went through the same heartbreak in the Epsom Derby when Horatio Nelson broke down. She rode him every morning and travelled europe with him.

I hate to think how George's groom is feeling right now.

i'd imagine they all feel pretty dammed low. there was a small article in bloodhorse about a lady who's spent all her time working with horses. she worked pine island, and said losing her almost put her out of the sport. you get so attached to them.

fpsoxfan
10-27-2007, 05:51 PM
To be honest, I thought we were home free until the Classic. Wagering wise, this was my worst Breeder's Cup day ever, but many of us at the party I was at kept commenting about how glad we were that there were no mishaps or breakdowns. So much for that.

NoChanceToDance
10-27-2007, 05:56 PM
i'd imagine they all feel pretty dammed low. there was a small article in bloodhorse about a lady who's spent all her time working with horses. she worked pine island, and said losing her almost put her out of the sport. you get so attached to them.

Yeah. It hits the grooms hard. My father was a groom for many, many years and i will never forget the day he come home in floods of tears after one of his horses had a heart attack on the gallops underneath him. They grow so attached to these horses, and the horses get attached to them.

I remember watching the Epsom Derby and seeing it. My phone was ringing within seconds. She was in bits. She has learnt the hard way that it happens. I don't know the groom of George personally, but if it's who i think it is, he is a really nice man, always smiling and sharing a few jokes. I feel so sorry for him right now.

People will send their prayers to coolmore and the breeders, but it's the grooms who come off worst.

I really wouldn't want to be on their plane home in the next few days. That is going to seem like forever crossing the Atlantic.

Danzig
10-27-2007, 05:58 PM
well, tell them a lady in mid america feels very badly for them and that she's very sorry, and to hang in there.

The Bid
10-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Are you directing that towards me Danzig

Danzig
10-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Are you directing that towards me Danzig

directing what? the hang in there part above, or a previous post?

pdrift1
10-27-2007, 06:29 PM
i agree -rotten ending to a rotten race RIP GW:(

TBJUNKY
10-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Coolmore's vet requested that the owners could have GW's head, heart, and horseshoes to bury............I know they got his shoes, but nor sure about the other two

Danzig
10-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Coolmore's vet requested that the owners could have GW's head, heart, and horseshoes to bury............I know they got his shoes, but nor sure about the other two

they'll get them, no doubt. probably cremate the remains to inter as well.

onebadbeast
10-27-2007, 06:41 PM
I Think It Was Disgusting To Try To Get The Last Drop Out Of This Poor Horse. Shame On The Game!

Danzig
10-27-2007, 06:43 PM
I Think It Was Disgusting To Try To Get The Last Drop Out Of This Poor Horse. Shame On The Game!

i think that 14 starts does not a last drop nor poor horse make. had he not been lost, this convo doesn't even happen. ridiculous bit of hysteria from those who are appalled and amazed that someone would dare race a racehorse. at four even! the NERVE.

gimmeabreak.

pmayjr
10-27-2007, 07:07 PM
R.I.P. Gorgeous. You gave some good memories, and you should've shown Kip D. what was up in the Mile instead, but R.I.P.

Merlinsky
10-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Do we know the names of the mares that got in foal to George?

Bobby Fischer
10-27-2007, 09:50 PM
they tried to run a turf horse 10 furlongs in the mud.

Danzig
10-27-2007, 09:52 PM
couldn't understand why he was in this but didn't think it would come to this...i am afraid to watch the replay but i think i have to...i am bummed, i heard over the otb shouting that someone was in a van but it didn't sound that serious...i really hope he didn't suffer as much as i am imagining

the race showed him next to last, but you never see ( on the tv coverage of the race) him actually take a bad step or anything. he's out of the pic when it all happened.
as to suffering, i doubt it. horses are so up on adrenaline, they don't feel pain immediately. he was euthanized so quickly, i doubt he felt much discomfort.

as to why you'd 'have to' watch the replay, i can't imagine...

Danzig
10-27-2007, 09:53 PM
they tried to run a turf horse 10 furlongs in the mud.
happens fairly often, as not all turfers scratch when a race goes to the main track. and of course a turf race only moves if conditions warrant--rain being the culprit.

GenuineRisk
10-27-2007, 10:32 PM
i have to watch it cause i wanna see wtf happened to lron... i know i saw bumping and now i need to know if it was him or gw

Mera, I think GW took a bad step- it was just one of those awful things that happen sometimes. I don't think he was ever in a spot where it could have been caused by contact.

Thank goodness ESPN didn't show and reshow the moment. I thought they handled it pretty well.

richard burch
10-27-2007, 11:34 PM
get real. he was retired and Coolemore's greed makes them wring every last dime out of the horse. he's a turf horse and they bring him over here to run in the slop ? shame on Coolemore.

finally...

hockey2315
10-28-2007, 12:32 AM
I am SO mad right now. . . Those greedy #$@%^ had no business racing George at all this year after he was retired and came back so dull. . . This just shows how backwards the industry has gotten with the whole racing to breed/breeding to race thing. They took a very promising horse out of racing in his prime in Holy Roman Emperor just so they could suck some money out of somewhere. Then since George wasn't worth anything in the shed anymore they decided to try to squeeze a few more bucks out of him on the track. What was the point of even running him in the Classic where he clearly had no shot?! Not to help his stud fee. . . Not to do right by the horse. . . And is Kinane really that clueless that he rode GW hard the whole race when something was clearly wrong? Must have been that fifth place money. . . My friend, who's more of a casual fan, said to me after the races something to the effect of "I can't wait to see these horses race next time" to which I replied; "You won't." How is the sport supposed to attract fans when the big stars never last for more than a year?

Seattleallstar
10-28-2007, 12:34 AM
I had no problem with GW running in the race, I just wish they kept him retired when he came up lame the first time around

NoChanceToDance
10-28-2007, 05:10 AM
I don't know what to say. Other that we have lost a very talented horse.

Was it anyone's fault? We don't know and we never will.

My honest opinion? I was surprised when they said they were running in the Classic when they decided to bypass what seemed like an easy Champion Stakes at Newmarket last weekened (i think he would have won that).

Was it the sloppy surface that caused this? Again, we don't know. It certainly didn't help. Now, i've only been watching American racing for about three years, but i am failing to think of a time where i have seen a dirt track looking as bad as that (there, probably have been, but i've never seen one).

What worries me is that the actual injury was an open fracture to BOTH sesamoid bones. I'm no vet, but that isn't a common injury. It just makes people ask questions.

I don't blame Coolmore for bringing him back to the track after a failed time at stud. What else were they going to do with him? However, i didn't agree that they decided to send him back for the classic.

Can anyone tell me, what are the different characteristics of a fast and sloppy dirt track? What does it feel like to ride on? Other than the kickback, is it much different or almost the same? He was under pressure after a few furlongs, was he feeling something or was he just not good enough? For a horse that travels so well in his races and travelled so easily in the Classic last year that was surprising.

Truth is, i'm struggling to come to terms with the fact he is gone. He deserved so much more than this. He gave me one of the best days of my life when he won the 2,000 Guineas and i got to spend a bit of time with him and Horatio Nelson after the race along with some of the staff at Aidan's. My two favourite horses over the last few years and they both die on the track. How unlucky can you get.

I just feel sorry for Aidan and his staff right now. They all treated George like he was a king. He was a real character, he wasn't an easy horse to be around, but that is why they loved him.

I can understand why people are trying to find someone to blame, it's just natural. Do i think there is anyone or anything that should be blamed? I'm not sure. One thing i will say is that brave decisions are often ones that go with huge risk.

RIP George, thanks for the memories.

Danzig
10-28-2007, 08:58 AM
I am SO mad right now. . . Those greedy #$@%^ had no business racing George at all this year after he was retired and came back so dull. . . This just shows how backwards the industry has gotten with the whole racing to breed/breeding to race thing. They took a very promising horse out of racing in his prime in Holy Roman Emperor just so they could suck some money out of somewhere. Then since George wasn't worth anything in the shed anymore they decided to try to squeeze a few more bucks out of him on the track. What was the point of even running him in the Classic where he clearly had no shot?! Not to help his stud fee. . . Not to do right by the horse. . . And is Kinane really that clueless that he rode GW hard the whole race when something was clearly wrong? Must have been that fifth place money. . . My friend, who's more of a casual fan, said to me after the races something to the effect of "I can't wait to see these horses race next time" to which I replied; "You won't." How is the sport supposed to attract fans when the big stars never last for more than a year?

this ending makes no sense in the context of your post as a whole. you come on and complain because they ran a horse that had been retired at three, and bring him back, only to lose him. but then you want your stars around longer. which is it? or do you only want them to stay longer if they somehow have a crystal ball to tell them which horses will not take a bad step, and which will? as for kinane, that horse took a bad step late in the race. he wasn't lame all the way around. that jock is not at fault, nor is coolmore.

Danzig
10-28-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't know what to say. Other that we have lost a very talented horse.

Was it anyone's fault? We don't know and we never will.

My honest opinion? I was surprised when they said they were running in the Classic when they decided to bypass what seemed like an easy Champion Stakes at Newmarket last weekened (i think he would have won that).

Was it the sloppy surface that caused this? Again, we don't know. It certainly didn't help. Now, i've only been watching American racing for about three years, but i am failing to think of a time where i have seen a dirt track looking as bad as that (there, probably have been, but i've never seen one).

What worries me is that the actual injury was an open fracture to BOTH sesamoid bones. I'm no vet, but that isn't a common injury. It just makes people ask questions.

I don't blame Coolmore for bringing him back to the track after a failed time at stud. What else were they going to do with him? However, i didn't agree that they decided to send him back for the classic.

Can anyone tell me, what are the different characteristics of a fast and sloppy dirt track? What does it feel like to ride on? Other than the kickback, is it much different or almost the same? He was under pressure after a few furlongs, was he feeling something or was he just not good enough? For a horse that travels so well in his races and travelled so easily in the Classic last year that was surprising.

Truth is, i'm struggling to come to terms with the fact he is gone. He deserved so much more than this. He gave me one of the best days of my life when he won the 2,000 Guineas and i got to spend a bit of time with him and Horatio Nelson after the race along with some of the staff at Aidan's. My two favourite horses over the last few years and they both die on the track. How unlucky can you get.

I just feel sorry for Aidan and his staff right now. They all treated George like he was a king. He was a real character, he wasn't an easy horse to be around, but that is why they loved him.

I can understand why people are trying to find someone to blame, it's just natural. Do i think there is anyone or anything that should be blamed? I'm not sure. One thing i will say is that brave decisions are often ones that go with huge risk.

RIP George, thanks for the memories.

it's not uncommon. don't forget teuflesberg just had surgery to repair both sesamoids in his leg. they think the second was fractured when he escaped the handlers while waiting for the ambulance.
the reason george was euthanized immediately was that he dislocated the joint, as well as suffering an open wound. the dislocation cut off blood supply, and of course the opening introduced dirt to the wound. either one of the two would mean no chance for the horse.

but i do know how you feel about losing george yesterday. there are some big pine island fans on this board, we went thru this last year.

Cajungator26
10-28-2007, 09:05 AM
I'll be completely honest and say that this kind of thing is taking its toll on me. Too many losses on the track this year and it's not good for the sport.

RIP George. :(

NoChanceToDance
10-28-2007, 09:14 AM
I know many like me saying this, but i just can't help but think about the surface. It was more than likely just a tragic accident and could well have happened anywhere. But, this horse isn't a dirt horse and he hasn't been prepared on it. GW would never have seen a surface like that before, let alone stood on it.

My opinion counts for little, but i'm surprised they run both Dylan and George yesterday. I must say it isn't like Coolmore to run horses when they know their horses are going to struggle on, so i did find it very surprising.

He's gone, and no amount of arguing or discussing is going to bring them back. He didn't deserve this, especially not in a race he had no chance in.

Over here their have been many arguments about horses losing their lives (mosting in steeplechase racing) because they have run in races out of their depth. The same argument could be said here, it must say. He tried, but from an early stage something was wrong. He usually travels so well. The vet said these injuries usually happen as a result of horses being very tired.He was out of his depth and had never raced on anything like that before, because of that he paid with his life.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, i know.

RolloTomasi
10-28-2007, 09:15 AM
as for kinane, that horse took a bad step late in the race. he wasn't lame all the way around.

George Washington was clearly uncomfortable down the backstretch, and it was noted by Trevor Denman during the race call. It's hard to determine if was injured at that point or he simply wasn't handling the track. I suppose, given the conditions, that Kinane supposed the latter.

However, either way, he was completely out of contention and going nowhere before the far turn, why didn't he just pull up?

NoChanceToDance
10-28-2007, 09:17 AM
as for kinane, that horse took a bad step late in the race. he wasn't lame all the way around.

George Washington was clearly uncomfortable down the backstretch, and it was noted by Trevor Denman during the race call. It's hard to determine if was injured at that point or he simply wasn't handling the track. I suppose, given the conditions, that Kinane supposed the latter.

However, either way, he was completely out of contention and going nowhere before the far turn, why didn't he just pull up?

You will be hounded for this post by others, but i agree with you 100%

Danzig
10-28-2007, 09:19 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/articleindex/article.asp?id=41655

NoChance, you're going to drive yourself nuts.

Danzig
10-28-2007, 09:22 AM

several others didn't handle the course well either. should they all have pulled up? or just george, because his jock knows something bad is going to happen?
he was already slowing down. i don't believe the jock was riding him at the point that the injury occurred. hell, horses have been out for a routine gallop, not even a work, and suffered catastrophic injuries.

this is no ones fault. it's part of racing. george could have had the same thing happen had he run in the mile.

this is why so many said thank goodness go for wand didn't run in the classic vs males, like so many wanted. her owner and trainer would have been torn to pieces.

RolloTomasi
10-28-2007, 09:25 AM
No chance of what?

Danzig
10-28-2007, 09:27 AM
No chance of what?

i was talking to No Chance, he's going to drive himself mad over this.
that link i posted was about george before the bc, and his gallop over the muddy track. aidan seemed happy with how he was looking going in, and no concerns.
like i said, unless this horse was unsound, i don't see that anyone should point a finger at anyone.

GenuineRisk
10-28-2007, 09:46 AM
this is no ones fault. it's part of racing. george could have had the same thing happen had he run in the mile.

I think this is very true- I think it's human nature, when something awful happens to a completely innocent party, to try to find someone or something to blame- within minutes of Barbaro's breakdown, people were screaming about the inhumanity of the Triple Crown- the same series of races Curlin and Hard Spun ran in and went on to run 1-2 in the Classic yesterday.

St. Liam was retired to stud and suffered a catastrophic injury on the way back to his paddock. If he'd been raced one more year would he still be here? If Sunday Silence hadn't been moved to Japan would he have not developed laminitis? If Ruffian had run against the boys would there have been no Match Race? If Swale had been galloped five minutes earlier or later would he have not had a heart attack?

I'm not intending to criticize those who are angry- I just think that bad things happen sometimes for no reason at all. And I think that's scary and frustrating because it's unfair and so we look for someone, something, to blame, so we can feel angry and not sad. Because grief hurts. A lot.

I think the owners, in this case, did what many of us want owners to do- be sportsmen- they brought back to the races a superstar horse who wasn't succeeding at stud and put him in a very challenging spot in that last race, rather than looking for a soft berth. It's terrible it ended the way it did. But I don't think it was the mud or the spot or bringing him back or anything other than bad luck.

(Which is not to let the owners off the hook for retiring HRE in GW's place, or for rushing GW off to stud in the first place, but that's a whole different issue). RIP, Gorgeous George, and my condolences and sympathy to all of your connections.

NoChanceToDance
10-28-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm just going to say that hindsight is a wonderful thing. You say that afew weren't liking the surface either, but George was struggling after three furlongs. After going six furlongs he was only going to finish last.

I know that Aidan was happy with the track on Friday morning, but they hadn't had much rain by that time. The track was muddy, but it wasn't too bad.

As i said, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I'm not the only one who thinks he should have been scratched and that includes both europeans and Americans. The slop was never going to suit him, and althought it probably the reason for his tragic brake down. If he hadn't have run it wouldn't have happened.

I know there was a big concern on the day about the track, a concern about both tracks.

Cajungator26
10-28-2007, 09:51 AM
While we're on the topic of rights and wrongs, if I was the owner of Better Talk Now, I would have scratched him immediately. I'm thankful that he's OK.

NoChanceToDance
10-28-2007, 09:52 AM
While we're on the topic of rights and wrongs, if I was the owner of Better Talk Now, I would have scratched him immediately. I'm thankful that he's OK.

I'm thankful that Dylan came back okay, too.

RolloTomasi
10-28-2007, 09:54 AM
several others didn't handle the course well either. should they all have pulled up? or just george, because his jock knows something bad is going to happen?

Not necessarily, but it wouldn't have been frowned upon either. Plenty of horses have pulled up in the BC when hopelessly beaten (eg Gentlemen, David Junior, Go and Go, Home At Last, etc).

However, of all the horses that failed to handle the main track yesterday, George Washington was the one traveling most conspicuously to the point where the possibility that something was amiss other than the surface came in to play.

he was already slowing down. i don't believe the jock was riding him at the point that the injury occurred.

I don't blame Kinane for what happened. Like I said, he probably assumed it was the surface that was causing the horse's poor action (and maybe it was). However, the fact that he wasn't driving on the horse when he broke down actually suggests that injury started much earlier in the race.

hell, horses have been out for a routine gallop, not even a work, and suffered catastrophic injuries.

That's totally unrelated to what happened here, but 9 times out of 10, horses that breakdown galloping have pre-existing injuries. I'm not going to suggest that's the case with George Washington.

If he was traveling as poorly in the Mile as he was in the Classic, it would have been better to pull him up there, too. In fact, maybe it would have tipped Kinane off better, if it was a type of going he knew the horse could handle.

this is why so many said thank goodness go for wand didn't run in the classic vs males, like so many wanted. her owner and trainer would have been torn to pieces.

Weren't they after the Distaff?

Danzig
10-28-2007, 09:54 AM
I think this is very true- I think it's human nature, when something awful happens to a completely innocent party, to try to find someone or something to blame- within minutes of Barbaro's breakdown, people were screaming about the inhumanity of the Triple Crown- the same series of races Curlin and Hard Spun ran in and went on to run 1-2 in the Classic yesterday.

St. Liam was retired to stud and suffered a catastrophic injury on the way back to his paddock. If he'd been raced one more year would he still be here? If Sunday Silence hadn't been moved to Japan would he have not developed laminitis? If Ruffian had run against the boys would there have been no Match Race? If Swale had been galloped five minutes earlier or later would he have not had a heart attack?

I'm not intending to criticize those who are angry- I just think that bad things happen sometimes for no reason at all. And I think that's scary and frustrating because it's unfair and so we look for someone, something, to blame, so we can feel angry and not sad. Because grief hurts. A lot.

I think the owners, in this case, did what many of us want owners to do- be sportsmen- they brought back to the races a superstar horse who wasn't succeeding at stud and put him in a very challenging spot in that last race, rather than looking for a soft berth. It's terrible it ended the way it did. But I don't think it was the mud or the spot or bringing him back or anything other than bad luck.

(Which is not to let the owners off the hook for retiring HRE in GW's place, or for rushing GW off to stud in the first place, but that's a whole different issue). RIP, Gorgeous George, and my condolences and sympathy to all of your connections.

yeah, it is human nature to find a reason why. randomness isn't enough to explain things.

Danzig
10-28-2007, 09:57 AM

Not necessarily, but it wouldn't have been frowned upon either. Plenty of horses have pulled up in the BC when hopelessly beaten (eg Gentlemen, David Junior, Go and Go, Home At Last, etc).

However, of all the horses that failed to handle the main track yesterday, George Washington was the one traveling most conspicuously to the point where the possibility that something was amiss other than the surface came in to play.

he was already slowing down. i don't believe the jock was riding him at the point that the injury occurred.

I don't blame Kinane for what happened. Like I said, he probably assumed it was the surface that was causing the horse's poor action (and maybe it was). However, the fact that he wasn't driving on the horse when he broke down actually suggests that injury started much earlier in the race.

hell, horses have been out for a routine gallop, not even a work, and suffered catastrophic injuries.

That's totally unrelated to what happened here, but 9 times out of 10, horses that breakdown galloping have pre-existing injuries. I'm not going to suggest that's the case with George Washington.

If he was traveling as poorly in the Mile as he was in the Classic, it would have been better to pull him up there, too. In fact, maybe it would have tipped Kinane off better, if it was a type of going he knew the horse could handle.

Weren't they after the Distaff?

no.
but my gosh had they run her the way so many wanted, they'd have been blasted for it if she'd have suffered that breakdown in the classic.

RolloTomasi
10-28-2007, 10:01 AM
no.
but my gosh had they run her the way so many wanted, they'd have been blasted for it if she'd have suffered that breakdown in the classic.

I misread what you wrote.

You meant that they would literally be "torn to pieces". You're probably right.

Danzig
10-28-2007, 10:05 AM
no.

I misread what you wrote.

You meant that they would literally be "torn to pieces". You're probably right.

i know i am. fans clamor for something, and when they get it but it doesn't turn out right (according to them) then they go nuts and bite the hand that just fed them.
it's like when azeri was winning, so many enjoyed it, and wanted more, more. then she lost. oh, they should have quit while they were ahead, she's done enough, don't run her more...fickle fans.

NoChanceToDance
10-28-2007, 10:14 AM
i know i am. fans clamor for something, and when they get it but it doesn't turn out right (according to them) then they go nuts and bite the hand that just fed them.
it's like when azeri was winning, so many enjoyed it, and wanted more, more. then she lost. oh, they should have quit while they were ahead, she's done enough, don't run her more...fickle fans.

I hope you're not suggesting i am one of those fickle fans.

I wanted this horse to run, just not in the Classic. Anywhere but the Classic. Nothing to do with the injury, but i wanted to see him in a race he actually had a chance in. The Champion Stakes at Newmarket for his for the taking the weekend before, why oh why choose the f'ing classic?

Eagle Mountain was beaten a head in the Champion Stakes, he George was 10 lengths better than he is!

I'm annoyed because the Classic shouldn't have been even a possible for the horse. Especially a classic on a dreadful track. No one over here thought he had a chance after the rain. He was being driven hard by Mick Kinane after three furlongs, and if you have seen any of his races before, you will know that is not him AT ALL. He is usually pulling his riders arms out in the early stages of ANY race.

There are awful similarities between this and Horatio in the Epsom Derby, doubts at the start and then it happens.

I have to agree with Rollo here.

As i write this i see yet another brake down on the track :(

Danzig
10-28-2007, 10:30 AM
I hope you're not suggesting i am one of those fickle fans.

I wanted this horse to run, just not in the Classic. Anywhere but the Classic. Nothing to do with the injury, but i wanted to see him in a race he actually had a chance in. The Champion Stakes at Newmarket for his for the taking the weekend before, why oh why choose the f'ing classic?

Eagle Mountain was beaten a head in the Champion Stakes, he George was 10 lengths better than he is!

I'm annoyed because the Classic shouldn't have been even a possible for the horse. Especially a classic on a dreadful track. No one over here thought he had a chance after the rain. He was being driven hard by Mick Kinane after three furlongs, and if you have seen any of his races before, you will know that is not him AT ALL. He is usually pulling his riders arms out in the early stages of ANY race.

There are awful similarities between this and Horatio in the Epsom Derby, doubts at the start and then it happens.

I have to agree with Rollo here.

As i write this i see yet another brake down on the track :(

no, not saying that at all....i was referencing the fans who would have vilified go for wands connections had they done the very thing they wanted, run her in the classic. you questioned george and dylan running all along. sadly, in georges case, you were right.
but altho there are similarities between horatio and george, i don't think there was a question about georges soundness just before starting, as there was in horatios case.

MaTH716
10-28-2007, 10:42 AM
It is just a tradgedy that the horse broke down. I do not think that you could fault any of the connections involved. We all complain on this board that we lose our stars to the shed way too early. They brought back a four year old to the races. What would have been said when things didn't work out in the shed and then they just put him away in a field at 4 to graze for the rest of his life. I think people would have been clamoring for them to bring him back. As far as the choice of going in the classic, I personally would have rather seen him in the mile. But from what I remember, he didn't have the best trip in the classic last year and he was chasing at least one monster home. He was on the rail the whole way and then had to go 5 wide and he also got bumped. Maybe the owners thought that last years race was much deeper than this years and thought they had a legit shot to win or at least hit the board. Bottom line is that you can bitch and moan all you want, we all lost a wonderful horse.

RIP big fella, you will be missed.

Bobby Fischer
10-28-2007, 12:12 PM
happens fairly often, as not all turfers scratch when a race goes to the main track. and of course a turf race only moves if conditions warrant--rain being the culprit.

On what planet does this happen fairly often ?

I can't even recall another top-class Grade 1 turf horse running in the mud in the past 5 years. I'm sure it has happened, but very very rarely.

Danzig
10-28-2007, 12:26 PM
On what planet does this happen fairly often ?

I can't even recall another top-class Grade 1 turf horse running in the mud in the past 5 years. I'm sure it has happened, but very very rarely.

ohhhhh...so now it's top class grade 1 turf horses in the past five years. your original post was about running a turfer in the mud. they ran a turf horse on a dirt track, owners decision. it turned out to be muddy. my contention was that any time a turf race is moved to the main track, it's due to rain, and that quite often the horses entered run regardless, which would mean in the mud.

but had i been able to read between the lines of your original post, no doubt i'd have realized that you meant only grade 1 top class turf horses. my apologies.

NoChanceToDance
10-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Not sure you have read MMSC's post in international, but the vets have suggested that with an injury of this nature, it usually starts with a small injury first.

He could have done the first piece of damage very early in the race. I'm not saying he did, but it's a possibilty after the vets have said that and he was getting pushed along very early.

Crown@club
10-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Ah! Another Cup goes by, and still nothing has changed.

Linny
10-28-2007, 06:37 PM
I am SO mad right now. . . Those greedy #$@%^ had no business racing George at all this year
"You won't." How is the sport supposed to attract fans when the big stars never last for more than a year?

You contadict yourself. On one hand racing him this season is "greedy" yet you later lament the early retirements. Because they brought GW back for reasons you felt were "greedy" they are %*$@(*&'s but had they left him in training at 4 and come back to the BCC they'd have been "sporting." By your definition all owners are greedy. They race to make money. It's the nature of the game.
If SS or HS is sterile and returned to the track next season are the owners greedy or sporting? The net result is a 4yo race horse, the fact that he spent an unsuccessful seaon in the shed before returning to the track is irrelevant. Should we be happy or angry?

I really didn't see why he was running where he was. It made no sense to me, but I have no reason to think that Coolmore sent "GW to his doom" with any intent other than his running well.