PDA

View Full Version : MTH: Track-Muddy, Turf-Good

Kasept
10-26-2007, 09:34 AM
SCR/CHG up shortly at MTH website soon if not now..

#4 Forefathers a scratch from the Dirt Mile; Will go in SPR Saturday...

Alan07
10-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Look for Sloppy/Soft by first BC race- Rain expected by 4 PM

westcoastinvader
10-26-2007, 12:42 PM
SCR/CHG up shortly at MTH website soon if not now..

#4 Forefathers a scratch from the Dirt Mile; Will go in SPR Saturday...

Track is listed as muddy at the moment, the turf good.

The above is the only change in the BC races thus far.

http://www.monmouthpark.com/raceday.aspx?displayType=S

NoChanceToDance
10-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Turf has changed to yielding in the last half an hour or so. Has there been more rain?

Kasept
10-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Turf has changed to yielding in the last half an hour or so. Has there been more rain?
Misty turning steady with increasing intensity..

brockguy
10-26-2007, 02:25 PM
it didnt look too soft in the last race..

NoChanceToDance
10-26-2007, 02:31 PM
it didnt look too soft in the last race..

No, i have to agree with that. We will have to see what it's like now it's been opened up a bit. That was fresh ground as far as i am aware.

It's raining now (or so they said on TV) so it's only going to get softer. Annie Skates does have fairly decent form on soft even though she's a Mr Greeley, so it's hard to say as far as her performance is concerned.

NoChanceToDance
10-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Not looking good for the turf tomorrow......

Rains wreaks havoc on Monmouth track, turf course

by Tom De Martini

Persistent rain throughout Friday’s Breeders’ Cup World Championship card forced Monmouth Park track superintendent Robert Juliano to seal the sloppy main track and downgrade the turf course to yielding.

Conditions are expected to continue to deteriorate Friday night with heavy rain and thunderstorms forecast through early Saturday afternoon.

Heavy rain is expected overnight and is forecast to continue through early Saturday afternoon. Clearing skies and gusty northwest winds are forecast from approximately 2 p.m. EDT Saturday through the scheduled 5:35 p.m. post time for the $5-million Breeders’ Cup Classic Powered by Dodge (G1).

Juliano said a sloppy racetrack is likely for the Classic.

“If we get real lucky and the rain moves out real fast Saturday, we may get it to muddy or good, using the steel plates to seal the track, followed by the rakes,” Juliano said.

Juliano said horses in the first five races on Friday’ s Breeders’ Cup card were driving through the main track’s base and down to the cushion, which is 85% sand and a 15% mixture of silt and clay.

“This is the worst kind of rain, because it’s aggravating the track and the moisture just lays there. If the rain came down heavily, it could run off quicker,” Juliano said.

Juliano will continue to consult with Breeders’ Cup racing officials on the condition of the turf course and whether any Saturday races may come off of the turf.

“The Breeders’ Cup will do everything to keep the races on the turf,” said Jim Gluckson, spokesman for the National Thoroughbred Racing Association.

Juliano said the inside of the turf course has not been used since August 5 and only Queen’s Plate shoes are permitted.

The rail for Friday’s Breeders’ Cup turf races was set at 24 feet.

ALostTexan
10-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Does anyone actually think they will take the races off the Turf?

brockguy
10-26-2007, 04:47 PM
BC Turf on the dirt - brilliant..

NoChanceToDance
10-26-2007, 05:02 PM
I didn't think they would even consider taking the races off the turf, but if they do get the amount of rain they are expecting over night, they might have no choice in doing so.

Very depressing if it happens.

golfer
10-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Simple solution: HUGE tarpolin!

Merlinsky
10-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Run 1 1/2 on dirt in the Breeders' Cup? I think someone would have an aneurysm. It's like the Loch Ness monster... sure maybe it's out there but nobody has been able to see it nor are they likely to.

The big cheese said they have to run it on turf so they'll run it on turf. I wish the rain would stop where I'm at (nowhere near Jersey). I know we need it but 3 days straight? I wanna go outside without getting drenched. I was hoping to watch racing in a more normal circumstance, not in the swamp, so I'm scared for the horses' and jockeys' safety as well as everyone who's talented maybe not getting a chance to show their best. I'd hate if a horse who's about to retire gets burned by a few raindrops. It could color how they're remembered.

NoChanceToDance
10-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Have they taken taken races from the turf in the Breeder's Cup history?

It looks like it's going to be very soft tomorrow.

Merlinsky
10-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Have they taken taken races from the turf in the Breeder's Cup history?

It looks like it's going to be very soft tomorrow.

I don't believe they've ever pulled it--I mean it ceases to be the BC Turf so you might as well not run it. These horses qualified or were invited due to grass performance, this wasn't just an entry situation. They're more likely to just postpone it although given the expenditure that would be kinda insane too. If they can get through the race without it being too dangerous they'll go however crappy the experience and I'm sure the jockeys will say if they don't wanna do it. Think about it, they don't wanna put their lives at risk past a point and if they're willing to come and say 'it's too bad, we can't do it' for the Breeders' Cup, it must be pretty catastrophic.

Wouldn't it be ironic if after all this nobody comes away with so much as a scratch or a bump on what is arguably one of if not the worst course situation in BC history? I don't think the overall condition of each has been this bad but I could be wrong.

brockguy
10-26-2007, 05:24 PM
If only Coolmore could transfer Soldier of Fortune in for Dylan.. Hed probably win by 20 lengths..

Scav
10-26-2007, 05:27 PM
BC Turf on the dirt - brilliant..

i am dying laughing right now, I am going to start using brillant in my vocab

ALostTexan
10-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Run 1 1/2 on dirt in the Breeders' Cup?

It is Monmouth, so the probably would go 1 1/2 and 70 yards on the dirt...

NoChanceToDance
10-26-2007, 05:44 PM
My guess is that if it does get very bad like they're predicting they will take every race apart from the BC Turf off the turf and then just 'play it by ear' and hope it drains enough before the actual turf race, if it doesn't, who knows what they will do.

It was bad enough at Belmont on 2005, and this is already ten times worse than it was there.

Lets just pray that the rain blows over, that does seem impossible though.

brockguy
10-26-2007, 05:54 PM
i am dying laughing right now, I am going to start using brillant in my vocab
i dont know what to say, maybe double up and start using grand too..

Scav
10-26-2007, 06:08 PM

Brillant....

Will Red Rocks like it soft?

brockguy
10-26-2007, 06:12 PM
he put a good performance last year on soft over 10f and galileos usually go through it. all my loving will be interesting as well now with the ground..

GPK
10-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Brillant....

Will Red Rocks like it soft?

it aint gonna matter

NoChanceToDance
10-26-2007, 06:17 PM
he put a good performance last year on soft over 10f and galileos usually go through it. all my loving will be interesting as well now with the ground..

All My Loving should love the state of the turf (if they actually race on it) but she has had a very hard season. She only ran five or six days ago, and that was an average listed race.

She got soft ground at Ascot and was beaten by Brisk Breeze. I'm stunned that she has even gone there. Would love for her to win, but thruth is that she's only a maiden winner. I would be shocked if she could win.

Scav
10-26-2007, 06:23 PM
it aint gonna matter

You have shut your mouth completely for the last two weeks and you just have to ruin it a day before the race

GPK
10-26-2007, 06:27 PM
You have shut your mouth completely for the last two weeks and you just have to ruin it a day before the race

just doing what I do best...

brianwspencer
10-26-2007, 06:45 PM
it aint gonna matter

You're so right.

Firm course of soft course, your boy is still a rock-solid single in the 4th spot on all superfecta tickets.

XIIPointStables
10-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Pretty depressing looking at how sunny and dry it's going to be Sunday on.

Really does put a damper on the day.

Hickory Hill Hoff
10-26-2007, 11:17 PM
It really sucks! Could be the worst B.C. all time, it's too bad...won't get to see the true champions on a fair surface.

Bigsmc
10-27-2007, 04:02 AM

It would be brilliant to hear Scavs use grand in a sentence.

I know it will come as a shock, but it is raining here (hotel 13 miles from MTH).

SentToStud
10-27-2007, 04:10 AM
It would be brilliant to hear Scavs use grand in a sentence.

I know it will come as a shock, but it is raining here (hotel 13 miles from MTH).
I once saw Scav use the phrase, "For all intensive purposes."

Bigsmc
10-27-2007, 06:48 AM
I once saw Scav use the phrase, "For all intensive purposes."

Probably the phrase that is screwed up the most in the US.

Still raining here.

NoChanceToDance
10-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Probably the phrase that is screwed up the most in the US.

Still raining here.

Are you at Monmouth?

TheSpyder
10-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Don't know about him but just called up the radar...looks pretty ugly.

Bigsmc
10-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Are you at Monmouth?

13 miles from MTH in a Holiday Inn wondering how the turf is holding up and if my shoes have dried from yesterday yet.

NoChanceToDance
10-27-2007, 06:58 AM
Don't know about him but just called up the radar...looks pretty ugly.

Shame. My only hope now is that the turf drains very quickly. I know they said the drainage is very good, but is it good enough to take away what could be 3-4 inches in less than 24 hours.

Even though most of our horses (apart from Dylan) won't mind it, it doesn't make for good viewing.

How bad does it have to get before they take the racing off the turf? Is it close to getting that bad?

NoChanceToDance
10-27-2007, 07:00 AM
13 miles from MTH in a Holiday Inn wondering how the turf is holding up and if my shoes have dried from yesterday yet.

Okay, thanks.

Try and stay as dry as you can if you're heading to the track today. Nothing worse than going racing when it does nothing but rain.

Danzig
10-27-2007, 07:58 AM
jock who rode nownownow yesterday said that the turf wasn't bad at all.

NoChanceToDance
10-27-2007, 09:09 AM
jock who rode nownownow yesterday said that the turf wasn't bad at all.

Winning jocks will always say the ground is good.

Even the euro jocks said it was riding soft, which says quite a bit in my opinion. On our racing channel this morning, they spoke to Adrian Beaumont (from the IRB). He was at the track and he said there was standing water on the turf track after racing had finished yesterday, it had rained most of the night and was still raining there this morning.

Danzig
10-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Winning jocks will always say the ground is good.

Even the euro jocks said it was riding soft, which says quite a bit in my opinion. On our racing channel this morning, they spoke to Adrian Beaumont (from the IRB). He was at the track and he said there was standing water on the turf track after racing had finished yesterday, it had rained most of the night and was still raining there this morning.

i left out the part where he said it was wet. i figured THAT went without saying!

Dunbar
10-27-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm 200 miles due west of Monmouth, and it turned beautifully sunny at 11am after a full night of rain. Maybe there's hope for the later dirt races at Monmouth.

--Dunbar

NoChanceToDance
10-27-2007, 01:16 PM
The turf looks very soft

GPK
10-27-2007, 09:31 PM
You're so right.

Firm course of soft course, your boy is still a rock-solid single in the 4th spot on all superfecta tickets.

at least you had the nuts to call and admit you were wrong:D

pgardn
10-27-2007, 09:34 PM
at least you had the nuts to call and admit you were wrong:D

I hope you had money on him.
A resilient beast he is.

congrats.
Its nice to see people sticking
with their favorites thru thick and
thin. Good to see your boy win.

GPK
10-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I hope you had money on him.
A resilient beast he is.

congrats.
Its nice to see people sticking
with their favorites thru thick and
thin. Good to see your boy win.

I will be honest Pat...I just refused to swallow the 5/2 that he was as they were entering the gate. I have won enough on him in the past. I just wanted to sit back and watch today. Funny thing is that I probably screamed louder today than any other time that he won and I did have money on him.

pgardn
10-27-2007, 10:34 PM
I will be honest Pat...I just refused to swallow the 5/2 that he was as they were entering the gate. I have won enough on him in the past. I just wanted to sit back and watch today. Funny thing is that I probably screamed louder today than any other time that he won and I did have money on him.

Its called being a fan.
The horse has hung around
long enough to gather a fan base
of which you might be the president.

This kind of animal is good for
the game. Getting to watch him
for a number of years and keep
his quality. Its good to see.

And yes 5/2 sux.
You got your real reward.

GPK
10-28-2007, 08:05 AM
No offense Kev and you know I love you. But you didn't bet him??? A horse that you got license plates for wins a Breeders Cup race and you don't have him, at all. 5-2 isn't 1-9. No excuse.

Didnt bet him Jay....nor did I put a dime into the Classic (only two BC Races I was at the OTB for). I have bet with my heart enough in the past to know that it doesn't always work out.