PDA

View Full Version : 4 horrendous Breeders Cup days in a row in the NY Metro area. Never do it again!

NoLuvForPletch
10-25-2007, 08:27 AM
And I live here and love going, but this is absurd! '95 was the worst as it poured the entire day. 2000 was not as wet but it was absolutely freezing. '05 I guess could be considered balmy by the standards set by two prior BC days at Belmont, but still not enjoyable in the slightest. And now here we are in 2007. Racing at the smallest track imaginable and you'll need to build an Arc by Saturday if the forecast holds true. Maybe the "Racing Form" can include a "K" for those horses that have ever rehabbed at KESMARC. I think they'll be at a distinct advantage. Let's hope and pray the geniuses that seem to never be right in forecasting the weather are wrong just one more time. Can anyone recommend a good raincoat as my seats are in the 800's both days?

blackthroatedwind
10-25-2007, 08:35 AM
It is incredible that it has barely rained for over four months and suddenly a deluge hits exactly on BC weekend ( beautiful weather returns Sunday....just like 2005 ).

This BC will be the most irrelevent ever. And that's saying something.

Hickory Hill Hoff
10-25-2007, 08:36 AM
And I live here and love going, but this is absurd! '95 was the worst as it poured the entire day. 2000 was not as wet but it was absolutely freezing. '05 I guess could be considered balmy by the standards set by two prior BC days at Belmont, but still not enjoyable in the slightest. And now here we are in 2007. Racing at the smallest track imaginable and you'll need to build an Arc by Saturday if the forecast holds true. Maybe the "Racing Form" can include a "K" for those horses that have ever rehabbed at KESMARC. I think they'll be at a distinct advantage. Let's hope and pray the geniuses that seem to never be right in forecasting the weather are wrong just one more time. Can anyone recommend a good raincoat as my seats are in the 800's both days?

At Belmont (1990) Lower 50's and sunny, but the wind was brutal...didn't stop until the Turf race.
(1995) the rain stopped by the start of the races and it was somewhat mild, but since NBC carries NORTE DAME football, the card started at 11am and was done by 3:30...that suck!
(2001) nicer than 1990, but did spend most of the day inside close to the finish line.
(2005) much like 1990 with less sun

Since being there for all four Belmont events, having it at a track on the east coast in late October isn't very smart for the fans.:eek:

mik9872
10-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Personally I think the BC should be at Churchill every year. Although it can be affected by weather, it is best suited by track configuration, availablity of travel and facillities. Also if they do not fool with rhe track it is very fair.

freddymo
10-25-2007, 08:46 AM
I am so bummed.. Not a drop of rain for months and now this BS forecast.. This BCup event is in ticket broker terms an ICE CUBE.. My buddy called me up and gave me 6 extra seats for Saturday on or near the finish line.. Nobody was spending to get there before the forecast, now with rain definately coming forgetabout it.

It's better then 50/50 that they will be forced to take the turf races off.. It's a fn mess

freddymo
10-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Personally I think the BC should be at Churchill every year. Although it can be affected by weather, it is best suited by track configuration, availablity of travel and facillities. Also if they do not fool with rhe track it is very fair.

It's just bad luck..Nothing wrong with Belmont..Monmouth was a bit of a stretch. Maybe a rotation of the following:

CD
Bel
SA (Cushion?)
Arlington(poly)

I do not see the need to have it anywhere else..

The poly/syn tracks are here to stay..They might as well start having the big day on them

philcski
10-25-2007, 08:53 AM
It is incredible that it has barely rained for over four months and suddenly a deluge hits exactly on BC weekend ( beautiful weather returns Sunday....just like 2005 ).

This BC will be the most irrelevent ever. And that's saying something.

Agreed, it hasn't rained in 4 months and of course we get this. Rain is holding off right now at least.

I am so bummed.. Not a drop of rain for months and now this BS forecast.. This BCup event is in ticket broker terms an ICE CUBE.. My buddy called me up and gave me 6 extra seats for Saturday on or near the finish line.. Nobody was spending to get there before the forecast, now with rain definately coming forgetabout it.

It's better then 50/50 that they will be forced to take the turf races off.. It's a fn mess

there's a 0% chance the turf races come off. ZERO.

ArlJim78
10-25-2007, 08:54 AM
It's just bad luck..Nothing wrong with Belmont..Monmouth was a bit of a stretch. Maybe a rotation of the following:

CD
Bel
SA (Cushion?)
Arlington(poly)

The poly/syn tracks are here to stay..They might as well start having the big day on them
forget arlington, too small and weather issues as well.

NoLuvForPletch
10-25-2007, 08:57 AM

CD
Bel
SA (Cushion?)
Arlington(poly)

What's the matter with Gulfstream? And from what I remember Woodbine was nice.

philcski
10-25-2007, 08:57 AM

CD
Bel
SA (Cushion?)
Arlington(poly)

Weather problems aside, Monmouth is NOT a stretch. I think people will realize that when they wake up on Sunday.

Things could be worse... what if it were at SA this year?? Half of L.A. is on fire!

blackthroatedwind
10-25-2007, 09:05 AM
It's better then 50/50 that they will be forced to take the turf races off..

If 0% is now 50/50 then you are correct.

NoLuvForPletch
10-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Weather problems aside, Monmouth is NOT a stretch. I think people will realize that when they wake up on Sunday.

Things could be worse... what if it were at SA this year?? Half of L.A. is on fire!

The only thing I am going to realize when I wake up on Sunday is what an idiot I was to stand in the rain for 2 days straight!

Coach Pants
10-25-2007, 09:12 AM
I heard that they're going to take the races off the turf and dirt and have a red carpet event where the horses can show off their new saddles.

Buffymommy
10-25-2007, 09:14 AM
I still think that someone on here had the correct idea... (I think it was Steve).

Redo Hialeah track and have it do nothing but host the Breeder's Cup...

bogeydaman
10-25-2007, 09:26 AM
If the goal is to reduce the percentage possibility of rain at the BC then I don't suggest bringing it to South Florida. We routinely get big days "blown up" due to weather conditions. Regardelss of the track of choice.

freddymo
10-25-2007, 09:27 AM
If 0% is now 50/50 then you are correct.

So if it pours 3 plus inches with the thunder storms predicted for the next 72 hours they are going to run on the turf.. The jocks are going to go along with that? Granted its a new course and they added a bunch of drainage stuff , but its a lot of potential water for any course to take. The forecast is very poor.

ArlJim78
10-25-2007, 09:32 AM
So if it pours 3 plus inches with the thunder storms predicted for the next 72 hours they are going to run on the turf.. The jocks are going to go along with that? Granted its a new course and they added a bunch of drainage stuff , but its a lot of potential water for any course to take. The forecast is very poor.
yes, still on the turf in those conditions.
the Breeders Cup Turf will not ever be run on dirt.

blackthroatedwind
10-25-2007, 09:33 AM
They will cancel before they come off the turf.

Coming off the turf is simply not an option.

freddymo
10-25-2007, 09:37 AM
I want to see them make the decision to run on a course that is completely unsafe for racing..Moreover I want counsel to tell them they aren't at huge risk. I am going to try and reach Zoffinger and see what his thoughts are.

look I hope the weather clears and its all BS.

freddymo
10-25-2007, 09:38 AM
They will cancel before they come off the turf.

Coming off the turf is simply not an option.

I think that possiblity is 50/50 then

Travis Stone
10-25-2007, 09:50 AM
It only rains at Monmouth, and not Belmont?

The sport just got a real bad dose of bad luck.

Antitrust32
10-25-2007, 09:52 AM

cant hold it at gulfstream anymore, unless you only want 10,000 people to be able to go.

philcski
10-25-2007, 09:55 AM
I want to see them make the decision to run on a course that is completely unsafe for racing..Moreover I want counsel to tell them they aren't at huge risk. I am going to try and reach Zoffinger and see what his thoughts are.

look I hope the weather clears and its all BS.

He's in the 4th tomorrow. Talk to him in the paddock.

philcski
10-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Also, maybe everyone's memory is short but about 30 minutes before the '04 Derby was one of the heaviest downpours in the HISTORY of Louisville... there were literally lakes in the infield... last I checked they still ran the race.

Coach Pants
10-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Also, maybe everyone's memory is short but about 30 minutes before the '04 Derby was one of the heaviest downpours in the HISTORY of Louisville... there were literally lakes in the infield... last I checked they still ran the race.
Phil you're a good guy and all but your bias is showing. That was one race.

freddymo
10-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Why because its predicted to pour for the next 48 hours. Why because if it pours for 48 hours the turf may become completely unstable and unsafe.. Why because I have no experience having an attorney tell me that if you take this risk you and your company are in harms way.. Why because we have never seen jocks walk out or decline to race when they thought their lives were at risk.. Listen JO this may all be BS but if it pours too much the races could and should be cancelled.. As usual you over step your boundarys.. Look your a nice two dollar handicapper leave it at that. get back to the PP's were you belong

freddymo
10-25-2007, 10:00 AM
He's in the 4th tomorrow. Talk to him in the paddock.

I call his cell instead

Coach Pants
10-25-2007, 10:01 AM
From what I gather freddymo is an industry insider...and that explains alot considering most of the industry insiders are retards.

freddymo
10-25-2007, 10:04 AM
From what I gather freddymo is an industry insider...and that explains alot considering most of the industry insiders are retards.
Industry please I have absolutely nothing to do horse racing

philcski
10-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Phil you're a good guy and all but your bias is showing. That was one race.

Nah, I'm not biased- why you say? All I'm sayin' is... the show must go on with the big days. Thankfully it seems the rain they were predicting today is holding off, maybe we catch a bit of a break?

Come to think of it that was a really good Turf Classic, Stroll storming home through the rain.

Bigsmc
10-25-2007, 10:12 AM
I've been in NJ for 24 hours now and if they call this "pouring" up here it is a joke. It's raining, that's it. Rain showers for 4 days are not going to flood the turf course. Coming from Florida where we measure storms by how many inches it rains per hour, this weather is not a big deal. Don't get me wrong, I will be in misery Saturday because my seats are on the apron with no shelter (and it is WAY too cold). I'm hoping there will be plenty of space to wander under a roof or it will be a very long day.

That said, it will be sloppy and the turf will be saturated, but there is zero chance they come off the turf and zero chance the jocks walk out (or refuse) on this possible huge payday. These pinheads risk their life every single day riding for a ton less money than 1Mil Friday, 2Mil, 2Mil and 3Mil on Saturday. They'll wear life vests in case their horse can't swim rather than refuse to ride.

As far as the location, it rains at Churchill, Belmont, Arlington and Woodbine in late Oct. early Nov. too. This weather is not unique to NJ.

Storm Cadet
10-25-2007, 10:20 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0b/The_Raincoat_part_2_Kramer_Morty_Seinfeld.PNG/200px-The_Raincoat_part_2_Kramer_Morty_Seinfeld.PNG

NoLuvForPletch
10-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Nah, I'm not biased- why you say? All I'm sayin' is... the show must go on with the big days. Thankfully it seems the rain they were predicting today is holding off, maybe we catch a bit of a break?

Come to think of it that was a really good Turf Classic, Patrol storming home through the rain.

Actually I think that may be worse. I think the quicker the next storm gets here the better because they seem pretty sure IT IS going to get here (99% chance of rain). Looks like they are calling for things to clear up by Sat night now and the drop in temps will be about 20 degrees. So hopefully the next storm can get in and out by Saturday post time.

stonegossard
10-25-2007, 10:27 AM
Why because its predicted to pour for the next 48 hours. Why because if it pours for 48 hours the turf may become completely unstable and unsafe.. Why because I have no experience having an attorney tell me that if you take this risk you and your company are in harms way.. Why because we have never seen jocks walk out or decline to race when they thought their lives were at risk.. Listen JO this may all be BS but if it pours too much the races could and should be cancelled.. As usual you over step your boundarys.. Look your a nice two dollar handicapper leave it at that. get back to the PP's were you belong

Who is JO?

NoLuvForPletch
10-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Who is JO?

I'm guessing Jerk Off?

slotdirt
10-25-2007, 10:32 AM
This reminds me of the Virginia Fall Races last year where I had purchased a box, and it had been raining pretty good for several days. I called, asked the racing office if the races were going to be run despite the weather, and was told "we've been running these races for 50 years and they've never been cancelled. The horses don't melt, and neither do we." And this was over hurdles.

Why is it that we pussyfoot around rain here in the States, while in Europe the thought of delaying or cancelling races because of a little wet turf is never even considered?

stonegossard
10-25-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm guessing Jerk Off?

I see......thanks for the splanation.

Could also be Jag Off.

ddthetide
10-25-2007, 10:49 AM
IF it's any consolation, 49* cloudy, breezy, cold (compared to what it's been) and no rain since early this morning. heading your way. hope it gets there in time, for you guys.

robfla
10-25-2007, 10:49 AM

Stronach J/O'D Gulfstream.

Now lets rehash the Hialeah idea