PDA

View Full Version : BC is looking like a slop fest

wac
10-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Ok looks like rain on Friday and Sat. What is this gonna do to everyone's picks??? I hate betting on rainy days and I swear I may just skip the whole damn thing. Let me know what you all think about the rain and its effects on both days. Who will it help who will it hurt??

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Ok looks like rain on Friday and Sat. What is this gonna do to everyone's picks??? I hate betting on rainy days and I swear I may just skip the whole damn thing. Let me know what you all think about the rain and its effects on both days. Who will it help who will it hurt??

Download Ed's game.

Don't worry....be happy.

GBBob
10-24-2007, 09:09 AM

It could be at SA or Delmar...Ashes would probably blend right into the poly/cushion

MisterB
10-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Rain, Rain, and more Rain

All prior work looking at the weekend http://popforum.net/images/smiles/icon_toilet.gif

wac
10-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Is anyone going to answer my questions.

wac
10-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Im serious guys just need some direction here. let me know

geeker2
10-24-2007, 12:06 PM

Mort..please help..

MisterB
10-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Mort..please help..
I say it helps the fast horses who run upfront

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 12:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok looks like rain on Friday and Sat.

I hate posters who start a sentence with "ok."

It's not ok.

What is this gonna do to everyone's picks???

Most of them are all wet anyways.

I hate betting on rainy days and I swear I may just skip the whole damn thing.

Well now you're getting somewhere.

I'll bet you hate taking a hand sledge and driving spikes in your head,too.

But we would like to know your decision as soon as is humanly possible.

Let me know what you all think about the rain and its effects on both days.

Well....rain stimulates growth...I believe all would concur.So it's a good thing.I think it would stimulate growth on both days.

Who will it help who will it hurt??

Oh...dandy question.

If you were a wicked witch it would melt you....but if you're perenial rye you would like it.

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Mort..please help..

I am ....at your service.

geeker2
10-24-2007, 12:24 PM
I am ....at your service.

I have been warned not to encourage you..but that was very funny:D

wac
10-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Wow thanks Mortimer, those are some great answers. Appreciate it.

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 12:27 PM

Entirely too kind.

Resident schizos would disagree....but too kind of you again.

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Wow thanks Mortimer, those are some great answers. Appreciate it.

Oh forget it.

Thunder Gulch
10-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I wish it was fast, but I seem to do better in different conditions. Focus on who has run well on off tracks and softer turf. I think this will really impact the turf races and move many of the Euro's up considering the best of the American turfers like it firm. It's hard for folks to get past preconceptions sometimes. Anyone remember Shirrocco a couple of years ago? A couple lengths short on paper, but there was talk all week about how that one relished the softer turf and he still paid $19.60.

wac
10-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Wow, I am kinda stunned right now. Someone actually answered my questions with some real horse racing knowledge. Awesome. Thunder Gulch you are the man. I think Mortimer has some really keen insights on the game of horse racing and seems more then happy to add his intelligent posts which are so well thought out and written but I think your answer may be the best of the day. Thanks.

whodey17
10-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Shirrcco was m/l 20-1 I believe. Everyone knew that the horse was ready to run a nice race. I was too broke by then to have anything but a small wager on him.

whodey17
10-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Wow, I am kinda stunned right now. Someone actually answered my questions with some real horse racing knowledge. Awesome. Thunder Gulch you are the man. I think Mortimer has some really keen insights on the game of horse racing and seems more then happy to add his intelligent posts which are so well thought out and written but I think your answer may be the best of the day. Thanks.It is also widely assumed that the Euros have the advantage over the turf as long as the turf is soft.

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Wow, I am kinda stunned right now. Someone actually answered my questions with some real horse racing knowledge. Awesome. Thunder Gulch you are the man. I think Mortimer has some really keen insights on the game of horse racing and seems more then happy to add his intelligent posts which are so well thought out and written but I think your answer may be the best of the day. Thanks.

I suppose you go to the hardware store for rye bread as well.

Coach Pants
10-24-2007, 12:44 PM
I agree. That comic strip went downhill when it got all preachy.

wac
10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
i was at Belmont for that BC and you are right, there was a group of guys from England talking Shirroco up saying that being from Ger. should love the soft going. They made a ton on that race.

Mortimer, man you got me on that one. You got me good.

JJP
10-24-2007, 12:55 PM

Relax. How often are weathermen wrong 48 or 72 hours out? IMO, weatherpeople tend to overpredict both rain and snow.

miraja2
10-24-2007, 01:00 PM
I think the reason you have not been getting a lot of straightforward responses to this question is the fact that it is somewhat diifficult to discuss how wet weather will affect 124 different horses competing in 11 different races in any sort of meaningful way in one thread.
My suggestion would be that it will affect the horses the same way it does on the other 364 days of the year, so whatever strategies you have used in the past for a wet course would probably be appropriate. Other than that, I would suggest looking at each individual race (and perhaps the threads devoted to those races) to see how an off-track or soft turf will affect each individual race, rather than the BC as a whole.

declansharbor
10-24-2007, 01:07 PM
After Market can kiss his chances goodbye if the weather unfolds like those know nothing weather men are predicting. two words. John Bolaris. four more words. Storm of the Century. (which in fact was a light dusting, thus cost him his job in Philly. Had to move to NY to get away from that debacle.)

NoChanceToDance
10-24-2007, 01:07 PM
All this talk of soft turf and a sloppy track..... is it really going to change that quickly? I can't see that happening.

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 01:41 PM
It got moved,too.

I hope the author of this thread feels good about waxing my behind with his words.

Perhaps this eviction notice makes him realize who the real coal hod is.

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 01:43 PM

Hey wait a minute!!

ror!

WHO said not to encourage me ???

wac
10-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Another good one "morty" waxing your behind. Man you got me good again. Damn. Where did it get moved??

geeker2
10-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Hey wait a minute!!

WHO said not to encourage me ???

Allan07

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Allan07

Oh geez.....GOO-FOO!

I swear Alan and WAC'D are the same person.

Their thread titles would only stimulate the frozen,dead and stupid.

Make that just the frozen and dead.

wac
10-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Man your right morty, i should just stop posting questions and let the true masters of horse racing knowledge like yourself handle it. Good idea, man you got me again. Dammit. What are some good posts that you have started so i can see how it is done???

Coach Pants
10-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Man your right morty, i should just stop posting questions and let the true masters of horse racing knowledge like yourself handle it. Good idea, man you got me again. Dammit. What are some good posts that you have started so i can see how it is done???

Start here...

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You're-and-Your

Payson Dave
10-24-2007, 02:01 PM
You might find that life is a lot more fun if you take it a little less seriously...

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 02:01 PM

Oh just tend to weather worrying and let me handle the rest.....is this ok by you?

Look.....no one---not even you--- will ever be able to surpass the ....HEY ANDY...YA GONNA BE DOIN' THE BC THING ON YER SHOW?????

So don't feel so bad.

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 02:02 PM
You might find that life is a lot more fun if you take it a little less seriously...

Do that line work on Thebby?

It's mighty good!

Coach Pants
10-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Look.....no one---not even you--- will ever be able to surpass the ....HEY ANDY...YA GONNA BE DOIN' THE BC THING ON YER SHOW????

CantCountTo2 has...and will continue to do so.

wac
10-24-2007, 02:03 PM
sorry pillow pants my mistake.

You know i just started the thread with a simple question just looking for some handicapping tips. I had no idea it would turn into this. Unreal.

Coach Pants
10-24-2007, 02:07 PM
sorry pillow pants my mistake.

You know i just started the thread with a simple question just looking for some handicapping tips. I had no idea it would turn into this. Unreal.
Ok, ok.

Don't bet anything coming out of the 2 hole. It stinks.

Coach Pants
10-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Unless it's Christina Olivares. She swears her 2 hole doesn't stink.

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Oh geez...my belly hurts.

You are disrupting this fine thread, sir!!!

Where is 2 MinutesToToast when you need him??

kgar311
10-24-2007, 02:14 PM
I hear with the chance of rain this weekend they are off the turf!

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Oh boy..

..there goes another wasted t-shirt run.

Payson Dave
10-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Do that line work on Thebby?

It's mighty good!

naaaaah...she put me on ignore a long time ago...

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 02:23 PM
naaaaah...she put me on ignore a long time ago...

Boy ...she excells at that. Really good.

Seriously...did a Bill Dallas ever post here?

Payson Dave
10-24-2007, 02:38 PM
..did a Bill Dallas ever post here?

Not that I recall...but I really don't know for sure

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 02:44 PM
Not that I recall...but I really don't know for sure

Thanks...it ain't gonna work then.

Danzig
10-24-2007, 04:00 PM

north?

booner
10-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Relax. How often are weathermen wrong 48 or 72 hours out? IMO, weatherpeople tend to overpredict both rain and snow.

I'm really hoping for the same thing, but I'm being negative at the moment. It's been raining here for 6 days straight. A big front came through last Friday and Saturday, and looks to be the same one that will hit Jersey this weekend. :(

Boy I hope I'm dead wrong!!!:D

SCUDSBROTHER
10-25-2007, 02:54 AM
Although the chalk looks dominant in the juvenile F,I think a wet track would most help Irish Smoke.To me,Guilded Time horses like it,and Smoke Glackens as well.I'm no expert on the horse.I don't know the knock on her(distance question maybe,) but seems like has better chance getting 2 turns if it's wet.

2Hot4TV
10-25-2007, 06:35 AM
Looks like its turning the whole show to a bust and a non betting event for me.

TheSpyder
10-25-2007, 07:22 AM

Has this ever happened before in the breeders cup? Anyone?

Spyder

JDank34
10-25-2007, 07:37 AM

Spyder

are you seriously believing this?

TheSpyder
10-25-2007, 07:54 AM
So a week of rain and they still run?

JDank34
10-25-2007, 07:58 AM
So a week of rain and they still run?

they will still run if they had a month of rain. they will probably use the rail much more liberally however

TheSpyder
10-25-2007, 08:18 AM
So no amount of rain makes running multi $1,000,000+++ horses risky? I think there's a point when it becomes questionable and a point when its off. These aren't machines that can be replaced and jockey's will have a say if it's safe.

Spyder

Linny
10-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Taking races off the grass is more about protecting the grass than the horses. Euro's run every day on surfaces that our candy-ass jocks and trainers would refuse to use. The horses can handle it.
With a 4 daym meet and no racing til May, there is no reason to "protect the course."

ArlJim78
10-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Taking races off the grass is more about protecting the grass than the horses. Euro's run every day on surfaces that our candy-ass jocks and trainers would refuse to use. The horses can handle it.
With a 4 daym meet and no racing til May, there is no reason to "protect the course."
this is correct, its about protecting the course. they'll run these turf races come hell or high water. (rimshot)

kgar311
10-25-2007, 08:54 AM

Spyder
This just in!! They're off the turf!!!!!

Thunder Gulch
10-25-2007, 01:50 PM
To clarify, they are off the turf today and possibly for the ungraded stakes, but there is no way they take million dollar G1 races off the turf on Saturday. From what I read, they are keeping the rail good for the big ones.

Benevolus
10-25-2007, 03:25 PM
It is sort of funny that the top Europeans are not coming over because they would chew up and spit out the American horses on a soft turf. In America they scratch on soft turf but in Europe they run on it all the time. Remember with the exception of one track they can't take the races off the turf to run on dirt. There is no dirt.

NoChanceToDance
10-25-2007, 04:30 PM
It is sort of funny that the top Europeans are not coming over because they would chew up and spit out the American horses on a soft turf. In America they scratch on soft turf but in Europe they run on it all the time. Remember with the exception of one track they can't take the races off the turf to run on dirt. There is no dirt.

Do we?

Is is a common misconception in America that the european horses want soft turf. That isn't the case at all. Most of our good horses would prefer good to firm ground.

I'm very concerned about this soft turf in Monmouth. If it really is as soft as some of you have said, you can forget about seeing Dylan Thomas. Red Rocks wouldn't want it too soft, either, but will probably take his chance.

At this rate, the John Deere turf is going to be an awful race.

Horses that will have benefited through the rain that has fallen are Achill Island (if it's soft he could take all the beating) and Passage Of Time, she wouldn't want it really soft but she enjoys cut in the ground.

All My Loving likes it soft, but i don't see her having much of a chance. Same goes for Timarwa.

Excellent Art has won on ground ranging from Good to Firm and Heavy, so there will be no ground concerns with him.

Jeremy acts on most ground, but i think he is best on Good ground. he doesn't like it firm or really soft.