PDA

View Full Version : Your best bet of the weekend

philcski
10-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Let's hear it and why. Favorite, longshot, whatever.

Mine is Gottcha Gold at the 8-1 ML. I know, I know, there's "all kinds of speed in here, he can't win". BS- this horse will make the lead and just refuses to quit. His last three races have been some of the most stunning performances of the year; setting suicidal fractions and should have won all three. Additionally, my instinct says a few of the supposed speed types will take back, except GG and the headstrong Wanderin Boy, who will pack it in at the 1/2 mile pole. When GG gets to the top of the stretch with a 4 length lead, good luck running him down.

Scav
10-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I can't wait to go back to this thread afterwards, I have some ideas but will come back to it probably tomorrow..Good luck phil

I do this in Byk terms, with it being the whole day

Best Value of the day: Smarty Deb - 30/1
Most Likely Winner: Benny the Bull - 6/1; La Traviata 5/2
Exotics Use: Purim - 20/1
Exotics Use: Shamindan - 20/1
Exotics Use: Old Man Buck - 20/1

In the Juv Fillies, I think Smarty Deb has a heck of a shot to hit the board at her 30/1 ML. People have no idea who these connections are so she will be ignored, she has been at Monmouth for a month and has two works over the track, Monmouth plays like Emerald Downs, a very bouncy type surface. Her Thorograph sheet is very strong, pairing her last two races which should mean a move forward. She is bred to like the distance also which is a question mark for alot of others. I do no like Indian Blessing or Irish Smoke at all, both debuted real fast and have little room for improvement. I think Proud Spell could be tough but Smarty Deb doesn't have to improve 'that' much to contend at a huge number.

In the Turf, I think Shamindan has a shot to upset Dylan Thomas at 20/1. He is lightly raced, getting 5lbs, and he cycled back to his top in his last race. Another pattern that singles a move forward and he doesn't have to improve that much to contend with Dylan Thomas, because of the weight and the probablity of him saving ground.

My two best bet against's of the day are Indian Blessing and Unbridled Belle, both have real ouchy patterns and shouldn't hit the board or any part of the any possible supers. I also am tossing Midnight Lute as he has Sinister Minister written all over him, but won't consider him a bet against because many are already doing it, from what I have heard from some of my friends and other boards.

Hickory Hill Hoff
10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Lear's Princess (Distaff) 6-1 ml.

I know it's a tough field, but just think she's improving more and more each start. With Hystericalady parked out in no man's land & both Indian Vale and Unbridled Belle both being "in and outers", she looks the best. Ginger Punch supplemented doesn't scare me and doubt she wants going this long.

philcski
10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
I can't wait to go back to this thread afterwards, I have some ideas but will come back to it probably tomorrow..Good luck phil

Absolutely. That's part of the fun. But the thing I love the most about the BC is shows who really has a pair and who doesn't. Those that do, for example a LOT of people on this board last year with Street Sense in the Juvy, reap the benefits, and the chalkplayers who chase the Henny Hughes of the world get their money sent up in flames.

2Hot4TV
10-23-2007, 09:06 PM
I spotted Smokey Stover at Del Mar last year and hit him in the Sunshine Millions sprint, but I am jumping on Greg's Gold Saturday.

freddymo
10-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I think Hysterical Lady clears even with the extreme post.If she gets caught its at the shadow of the wire

geeker2
10-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Maryfield in Filly and Mare Sprint. I think "The King of Rock 'n' Roll " can nail the front speed late...15-1

declansharbor
10-23-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm going with Lahudood on this one. K mac's high on this one. She'll be ready to pounce on the speed at a very square price. Loved her last out, (damn me for not betting her), and if she duplicates an effort like that, we cash heavy. We will be keying her in all three tri spots.

Linny
10-23-2007, 09:38 PM
I think Hysterical Lady clears even with the extreme post.If she gets caught its at the shadow of the wire

If it rains, I love her! Lear's Princess at 6-1 is pretty inviting.

I like Maryfield in the FM Sprint as well.

Lahudood likes FIRM grass and I am worried about her only having one recorded work since the Flower Bowl.

geeker2
10-23-2007, 09:44 PM
If it rains, I love her! Lear's Princess at 6-1 is pretty inviting.

I like Maryfield in the FM Sprint as well.

Lahudood likes FIRM grass and I am worried about her only having one recorded work since the Flower Bowl.

thoughts on Oprah Winney?

Linny
10-23-2007, 10:00 PM
I hate that show...

Oh, the filly, well never mind... I think that Dream Rush, La Traviata and Shaggy Monstress get in a meltdown pace battle and Maryfield benefits. Of Oprah chooses to rate (as she has proven she can) she could be in a similar position to Mary.
As for the pace duel, Shaggy goes first, the La Trav. DR could hang on for a piece.

geeker2
10-23-2007, 10:13 PM
I hate that show...

Oh, the filly, well never mind... I think that Dream Rush, La Traviata and Shaggy Monstress get in a meltdown pace battle and Maryfield benefits. Of Oprah chooses to rate (as she has proven she can) she could be in a similar position to Mary.
As for the pace duel, Shaggy goes first, the La Trav. DR could hang on for a piece.

Thanks Linny..sounds like it's the neutron bomb exacta "Mary and Oprah".

Good Luck!

PPerfectfan
10-23-2007, 10:50 PM
My bomb is Purim! Cashed big time on his last out and he will get some of my money this weekend.

hoovesupsideyourhead
10-23-2007, 11:23 PM
wandering boy......

declansharbor
10-23-2007, 11:41 PM
wandering boy......

certainly due for that 109 beyer next out!! lol

Linny
10-24-2007, 06:31 AM
wandering boy......

If it's wet on Fri WB could be tough to catch. He loves the mud.

MisterB
10-24-2007, 06:41 AM
I'll take Dylan Thomas. May get a soft turf course.

cakes44
10-24-2007, 07:17 AM
I'm gonna wheel Attila's Storm on top and bottom in an exacta. He drew perfectly and the 2 favorites are screwed in those posts, especially with how big Midnight Lute is.

hoovesupsideyourhead
10-24-2007, 07:23 AM
If it's wet on Fri WB could be tough to catch. He loves the mud.
mud of not he will be tough to catch ..imo

The Indomitable DrugS
10-24-2007, 07:44 AM
There are about six horses I like a lot to win who should be prices.

But who cares about 8/1 and 10/1 shots when you get triple digit odds on the Midnight Lute - to - Idiot Proof - to Benny The Bull straight trifecta in the BC Sprint.

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 07:50 AM
I rely heavily on threads like this for my elimination round.

SniperSB23
10-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Maryfield in Filly and Mare Sprint. I think "The King of Rock 'n' Roll " can nail the front speed late...15-1

I'm on board with that. She'd be a bargain at 8-1.

docicu3
10-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Park Avenue Ball......Money making, feel good, local color angle...... Bravo returns.

Still searcing for the exacta...

Sightseek
10-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Wild Gams in the F/M Sprint & Benny the Bull in the Sprint.

philcski
10-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Park Avenue Ball......Money making, feel good, local color angle...... Bravo returns.

Still searcing for the exacta...

He's my sentimental choice of the weekend, been a fan since he won the Futurity back in '04... but I'm just not sure he's fast enough anymore to win this.

dellinger63
10-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Juvi Fillies

Smarty Deb

ninetoone
10-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Better Talk Now will mow them all down in the Turf...

geeker2
10-24-2007, 09:41 AM

But who cares about 8/1 and 10/1 shots when you get triple digit odds on the Midnight Lute - to - Idiot Proof - to Benny The Bull straight trifecta in the BC Sprint.

Drugs your thoughts on Lute needing it to be 7F?

PPerfectfan
10-24-2007, 09:50 AM
wandering boy......

I really like WB too. He is one of those horses that is always competitive and tries everytime. And always gives a good show of it.

gales0678
10-24-2007, 10:00 AM
i'll go with West Point's Awesome Gem - horse is training great , if the pace is right he can mow them down in the stretch at 30/1

SundayStar
10-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Wild Gams in the F/M Sprint & Benny the Bull in the Sprint.

i like both of these. park avenue ball too.

wild gams....... i just love saying her name

Sightseek
10-24-2007, 10:06 AM
i like both of these. park avenue ball too.

wild gams....... i just love saying her name

I'm tossing Dream Rush and will probably box her with Maryfield & Miss Macy Sue actually.

my miss storm cat
10-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Jeremy.

(As far as those already mentioned, I do like both Maryfield and Wild Gams too.....)

Indian Charlie
10-24-2007, 11:44 AM
30/1 on precious kitten, as honest a racehorse as there is these days, seems awfully nice.

8/1 on hystericalady, running on dirt, is like stealing.

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 11:49 AM
God this is like dying and going to Heaven!!

Indian Charlie
10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
God this is like dying and going to Heaven!!

Have you experienced that sensation before?

Could you please elaborate?

MisterB
10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
30/1 on precious kitten, as honest a racehorse as there is these days, seems awfully nice.

8/1 on hystericalady, running on dirt, is like stealing.

But what about that poor old Kenny, will he plop a couple thousand on this one?? Watch the windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Have you experienced that sensation before?

Could you please elaborate?

I'm so sorry....I should have said...."God this is what dying and going to Heaven must be like!"

r u ,2, now happy?

Indian Charlie
10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm so sorry....I should have said...."God this is what dying and going to Heaven must be like!"

r u ,2, now happy?

You know me, I'm always happy!

All 2 of me!

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Good deal..what I meant was Mr. Tamali has a sad clown face on today.

Glad to see you don't.

brianwspencer
10-24-2007, 01:27 PM
My exotics best-bet as far as the price vs. the talent in relation to the field would be 20-1 on Purim.

Best bet otherwise has got to be Hystericalady at anything near 8-1, but she appears to have the look of the wiseguy horse and I'd expect her to take a lot of cash from that.

I guess whittling it down, given that I don't think Hystericalady will be anything near 8-1, that the one other horse I'm loving for the price is Wicked Style. 10-1 on an unbeaten runner sounds fine to me.

NoChanceToDance
10-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Who said "Dylan Thomas, we may get soft turf"?????

Just to let you know, DT hates soft turf. If it was soft by Saturday, you will seriously have to consider tossing him. If it does become soft, don't be surprised even if he gets scratched.

My best bet would be Unbridled Belle in the Distaff. She did really well to win last time with the trouble she managed to find during the race. She had a few of these behind last time and i think she is a great bet. Her pedigree suggests she will keep improving with age and it looks like she is doing just that.

miraja2
10-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Discreet Cat will be 1/9 after the kid puts his $62 quadrillion bet down on him....so the best value horses will probably come from that race.
I actually do like Gottcha Gold in that one if he goes off at anywhere close to his 8/1 ML, but I doubt he will.

freddymo
10-24-2007, 01:52 PM
what kid?

Mortimer
10-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Who said "Dylan Thomas, we may get soft turf"?????

Just to let you know, DT hates soft turf. If it was soft by Saturday, you will seriously have to consider tossing him. If it does become soft, don't be surprised even if he gets scratched.

My best bet would be Unbridled Belle in the Distaff. She did really well to win last time with the trouble she managed to find during the race. She had a few of these behind last time and i think she is a great bet. Her pedigree suggests she will keep improving with age and it looks like she is doing just that.

DO NOT GO SOFTLY INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT..........young swine.

NoChanceToDance
10-24-2007, 02:08 PM
DO NOT GO SOFTLY INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT..........young swine.

Can i just disagree without ever understanding you? That's what i've done in the past :D

Morty, you are like George Washington on drugs

KY_Sasquash
10-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Most likely winner-Lady Joanne

Bomb Longshot: Silent Name in the mile & Slew's Tiznow in the Juv

Benevolus
10-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Looks like weather from europe so let's go with three Europeans.

Dylan Thomas - best bet - Don't see them beating him even if turf is soft by american standards
Excellent Art- Too classy for these
George Washington- longshot (20-1 ML) probably won't win but 20-1 is worth a shot

Buffymommy
10-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Slew's Tiznow in the Juv

Don't you be jumping on my bandwagon. He is my long shot pick.

Slew's Tiznow/Old Man Buck exacta!!! Those two will be battling it down to the wire.

OH and my gut pick so far is Host.

miraja2
10-24-2007, 07:13 PM
what kid?
THE kid.
In all honesty, after spending a good deal of time looking over the PPs today, my top two bets of the day remain a win bet on Street Sense and a Curlin-Street Sense exacta box in the Classic.
Street Sense's last work sealed it for me.

Bogey
10-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Juvy Fillies

#8 Izzara - She's been green, but she has an enormous amount of upside. She'll love the distance and many of the fillies here would rather be sprinting and will be weeded out as they turn for home. McAnally (HOF Trainer) has a very nice filly that will score at 5-1 or so. Load Up

Good Racing Luck

pgardn
10-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Grass Mile...

Nobiz takes money, the Euro takes money on the outside.

Why not Kip Deville? The horse is always in the mix.
Nothing super fantastic just seems to give himself a chance
in almost every race.

We will see how overlooked he is.

jwkniska
10-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Grass Mile...

in almost every race.

Excellent Art and Remarkable News are compromised by the posts. Will either be Kip or Jeremy in this one.

NoChanceToDance
10-25-2007, 05:14 AM
Excellent Art and Remarkable News are compromised by the posts. Will either be Kip or Jeremy in this one.

I still think EA has a good chance despite the draw. This horse is so adaptable with regards to tactics and race positioning. He has top class form when running from the front, and he has top class form when coming from the back.

He also has that ability to quicken in a few strides, often catching some of the best horses flat footed.

He will need a bit of luck, but he is definitley good enough to win this despite his draw. He deserves some luck after the year he has had so far. If he was given better rides this year, his form would read 1111..... all of those coming in Gr1 races.

Port Conway Lane
10-25-2007, 08:27 AM
Let's hear it and why. Favorite, longshot, whatever.

Mine is Gottcha Gold at the 8-1 ML. I know, I know, there's "all kinds of speed in here, he can't win". BS- this horse will make the lead and just refuses to quit. His last three races have been some of the most stunning performances of the year; setting suicidal fractions and should have won all three. Additionally, my instinct says a few of the supposed speed types will take back, except GG and the headstrong Wanderin Boy, who will pack it in at the 1/2 mile pole. When GG gets to the top of the stretch with a 4 length lead, good luck running him down.

Best Bet is rain. The Mr.Prospectors move up tomorrow. Gottcha Gold,Wanderin Boy and Forefathers. I'll add Park Avenue Ball to those three and key Gottcha Gold and Wanderin Boy in the top slot and the others boxed with the remainder of the field in the super. $21.60 total.

KY_Sasquash
10-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Don't you be jumping on my bandwagon. He is my long shot pick.

Slew's Tiznow/Old Man Buck exacta!!! Those two will be battling it down to the wire.

OH and my gut pick so far is Host.

ok, ok. im just following the lead on Slew's Tiznow! He ran well on the dirt at
7F and think he moves forward off the Breeders' Futurity race and 2 turns should hit him between the eyes........McPeek claims Old Man Buck is a dirt horse on the show last night, but he never ran him on the dirt and he couldve at Ellis. Still, at 30-1 or higher he's worth throwing in underneath for your exotics.

Buffymommy
10-25-2007, 09:11 AM
ok, ok. im just following the lead on Slew's Tiznow! He ran well on the dirt at
7F and think he moves forward off the Breeders' Futurity race and 2 turns should hit him between the eyes........McPeek claims Old Man Buck is a dirt horse on the show last night, but he never ran him on the dirt and he couldve at Ellis. Still, at 30-1 or higher he's worth throwing in underneath for your exotics.

I tease... I loved Slew's Tiznow's full bro this year so I am rooting for him. I would like to see the brothers get two wins on the day. :) I think Slew's Tiznow is improving at the right time. Question is: Is he good enough?

Old Man Buck I think has potential especially if it is sloppy...

whodey17
10-25-2007, 09:17 AM
My best bet is Timarwa.

outofthebox
10-25-2007, 10:28 AM
My best bet or value play will be Balance in the distaff at 20-1ml. At first look it looks like i'm really reaching here, but on a day like BC that's what im looking for, a forgotten horse.
The last time Balance ran two turns on a conventional dirt track(or wet) she was the winner of the Gr.1 Santa Margarita at the same distance of the distaff. Before that she was an easy winner of the La Canada on a wet track. She then hooked Nashoba's Key on synthetic tracks at Hollywood and Del Mar and didnt discrace herself against a superior synthetic runner. Her last race at Belmont is not as bad as it looks on paper . She blew the start then was prematurely sent very wide on the final turn. She was 3-1 that day and will be 20-1 or better against the same horses today.

rontheman1964
10-25-2007, 11:31 AM
My prediction??? Nebraska gets drilled again by 40 points or more and Callahan still thinks he is doing an excellent job. All the while he is working on his resume on the sidelines. Is there a worse football coach anywhere???

Cannon Shell
10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
My prediction??? Nebraska gets drilled again by 40 points or more and Callahan still thinks he is doing an excellent job. All the while he is working on his resume on the sidelines. Is there a worse football coach anywhere???
Yeah...University of Pittsburgh

Danzig
10-25-2007, 11:45 AM
ah, yes. dave wann(awin)stedt.

Indian Charlie
10-25-2007, 01:57 PM
my best bet for the bc would be garret gomez at about +120 to get more wins than JRV.

The Indomitable DrugS
10-27-2007, 02:09 PM

I crushed this race......

But almost crushed the race to monumental proportions had Benny The Bull been able to nail Talent Search for 3rd....

He was coming, but in years past I think I used up all my luck for five lifetimes with these kind of go for the kill wagers.

There was once a time when the 4th place horse would have willed his way past one more horse just because I needed him for a huge score.

In these new times....I had to sweat out an inquiry just to cash an exacta ticket.

SentToStud
10-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I crushed this race......

But almost crushed the race to monumental proportions had Benny The Bull been able to nail Talent Search for 3rd....

He was coming, but in years past I think I used up all my luck for five lifetimes with these kind of go for the kill wagers.

There was once a time when the 4th place horse would have willed his way past one more horse just because I needed him for a huge score.

In these new times....I had to sweat out an inquiry just to cash an exacta ticket.
Congratulations. $49 for that exacta is pretty good.

pgardn
10-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Grass Mile...

in almost every race.

Yes indeed. No respect.
Not only did the betting go as stated with Nobiz and Euro taking the money; I got a perfect frikkin trip on the grass. It has been an eternity since I have got that kind of trip on the grass. Blind luck finally punches me in the face.

Danzig
10-27-2007, 06:53 PM
my best bet would have been that pletcher went 0-. and i'da been wrong.

tector
10-27-2007, 07:45 PM
The Distaff gave me a modestly profitable weekend. But if Hystericalady prevails, I'd be farting through silk right now.

Oh well. Now to see if I can get that Derby future down before the Nashua tomorrow....

The Bid
10-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Lots of good picks in this thread

Drugs, just missed the crush, and the Maryfield/Kip/and a few others real strong.

For the record my big bet of the day was Lawyer Ron who looked like an Arabian 220 yards into the race, when he was crimping his tail for half mile I knew I was dead

philcski
10-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Yes indeed. No respect.
Not only did the betting go as stated with Nobiz and Euro taking the money; I got a perfect frikkin trip on the grass. It has been an eternity since I have got that kind of trip on the grass. Blind luck finally punches me in the face.

You had a perfect trip AND the best horse. Kip was much the best, nice call...

philcski
10-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Lots of good picks in this thread

Drugs, just missed the crush, and the Maryfield/Kip/and a few others real strong.

For the record my big bet of the day was Lawyer Ron who looked like an Arabian 220 yards into the race, when he was crimping his tail for half mile I knew I was dead

Mine were WP bets on Gottcha Gold and Hystericalady, feel a bit snakebitten right now. Didn't have a single "on top" winner in 11 races that I actually bet

pgardn
10-27-2007, 10:09 PM
You had a perfect trip AND the best horse. Kip was much the best, nice call...

Ive seen way too much happen on the turf.
My horse had a great trip. With a better
post, the Euro in the 13 spot would have
been tough to beat.

I knew the horse had the speed to get
a good spot. But I was certain the bottle
neck was coming when he was kept to the
inside. But the horse on the outside faded (Remarkable News)
in a perfect way and he got a free run.
Nothing on the turf comes easy for me.
Thanks to Corny for not panicking. I was.

The Indomitable DrugS
10-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Drugs, just missed the crush

I keep underestimating Talent Search.....

He is every bit as game as you say.....unfortunately.