PDA

View Full Version : Jockeys Crying Again...this time about BC tickets

Fearless Leader
10-23-2007, 03:57 PM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41553

These guys just make me want to puke. I'm so sick of these whining, spoiled primadonna's who think the game owes them.

paisjpq
10-23-2007, 04:05 PM
seriously? you think that they should have to pay 50 bucks to park so they can go to work? personally I think that sucks.....tickets are a seperate issue, but parking? come on, they shouldn't have to pay that much....(no one should).

Coach Pants
10-23-2007, 04:06 PM
I'd pay Aaron Gryder $50 to not show up.

freddymo
10-23-2007, 04:08 PM
seriously? you think that they should have to pay 50 bucks to park so they can go to work? personally I think that sucks.....tickets are a seperate issue, but parking? come on, they shouldn't have to pay that much....(no one should).

Should we all get hot coco for free when it's brisk outside?

So when I go to my office in the city and park I should get it for free.. How about lunch?

Fearless Leader
10-23-2007, 04:09 PM

They do not have to pay to park. The primadonna's as usual think they are above the law. The owners and trainer's have to pay for additional tickets so why do the jockey's think they are special? Because they are a bunch of flaming illiterate morons that have no respect for any other faction within the industry.

blackthroatedwind
10-23-2007, 04:11 PM
These are the same guys that seem to think their familiies belong in the winner circle after they win a big race.

paisjpq
10-23-2007, 04:21 PM
They do not have to pay to park. The primadonna's as usual think they are above the law. The owners and trainer's have to pay for additional tickets so why do the jockey's think they are special? Because they are a bunch of flaming illiterate morons that have no respect for any other faction within the industry.

they don't?

and the $50 parking fee riders have been told they will be charged

I don't think their families should get free tickets.

paisjpq
10-23-2007, 04:23 PM
These are the same guys that seem to think their familiies belong in the winner circle after they win a big race.

it's not just jockeys.....I know a lot of douche bags who like to get into winners circle photos at any opportunity;)

blackthroatedwind
10-23-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm sure the latest new head of the Jockey's Guild will straighten everything out.

whodey17
10-23-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm sure the latest new head of the Jockey's Guild will straighten everything out.For once, I have to agree with the sarcasm here.

The Indomitable DrugS
10-23-2007, 05:20 PM
I'd pay Aaron Gryder $50 to not show up.

I'll make it $100

letswastemoney
10-23-2007, 05:20 PM
I agree that it doesn't make sense to pay money to come to work, especially when you aren't even guaranteed any money in return.

Scav
10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
I agree that it doesn't make sense to pay money to come to work, especially when you aren't even guaranteed any money in return.

They do get $100 per mount or something like that so they are guaranteed money, unless the horse scratches and I don't know what happened to that mount money then

SentToStud
10-23-2007, 05:33 PM
There are no tickets for the jockeys because Dinny Phipps gained another 100 pounds and needs all the tickets for his own ass.

freddymo
10-23-2007, 05:40 PM
There are no tickets for the jockeys because Dinny Phipps gained another 100 pounds and needs all the tickets for his own ass.
leave Dinny be his team is all we have left.

IrishofNDMan
10-23-2007, 05:57 PM
how much do you think a winning jockey gets on average in a breeders cup race?

SentToStud
10-23-2007, 05:59 PM
leave Dinny be his team is all we have left.
What team does he own?

I know one of his great grand daddies owned a whole lot of US Steel.

His father wasn't an ass like this guy. Lived til he was in his 90's and won the US Open a bunch of times.

Dinny apparently just drinks and eats.

Nascar1966
10-23-2007, 06:00 PM
With the money most of them make they should be able to afford to pay for thier own parking and tickets. What a bunch of whining wenches.

SentToStud
10-23-2007, 06:01 PM
With the money most of them make they should be able to afford to pay for thier own parking and tickets. What a bunch of whining wenches.
Yes, Dinny Phipps has enough money to buy his own tickets. Yes, I agree.

robfla
10-23-2007, 06:09 PM

seeing the winner gets approx 60%

180k for a 2MM race

$300,000 for the 5 Million dollar Classic + any other deals they may have with owners

2Hot4TV
10-23-2007, 06:18 PM
10 percent of the winners share of the purse and what ever wager the owners put in the jockeys boot.

fpsoxfan
10-23-2007, 06:24 PM
It is a little cheezy if the jockeys are in fact complaining about this. Like Gryder or not, at least he's not the one doing the bitching.

Riot
10-23-2007, 07:27 PM

These guys just make me want to puke. I'm so sick of these whining, spoiled primadonna's who think the game owes them.

Yes, and the owners and trainers should pay $50 for parking, too.

Linny
10-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Will the wives of players in the World Series get admission and seats? Probably. If the players were told otherwise, there would be a riot.

The jocks generally get 2 free seats and the option to buy more. This year, they get nothing. The jocks generally get free and convenient parking. This year, nothing. I don't blame them for speaking out. It seems to me that on many levels the Breeders' Cup is shooting itself in the foot. Ticket prices are close to date rape. No alcohol may be brought in, but I'm sure plenty will be sold and 3x the standard rate. Parking is offsite and costs $50. Now participants are told that they cannot get a free pass for their wife to come and see the damned event! Makes no sense to me.

richard burch
10-23-2007, 08:16 PM

i disagree...these guys work hard. frankly i find this to be insulting to the jocks.

Danzig
10-23-2007, 08:20 PM

everyone else pays to get to work. gas, metro, parking, etc. welcome to reality.

Danzig
10-23-2007, 08:21 PM
What team does he own?

I know one of his great grand daddies owned a whole lot of US Steel.

His father wasn't an ass like this guy. Lived til he was in his 90's and won the US Open a bunch of times.

Dinny apparently just drinks and eats.

bessemer trust.

besides, couldn't all the jockeys stuff into a vw bug, and pitch in a buck a piece for parking?
then they could sell photos of them all in the car, and give the money to charity. there ya go, problem solved.

Riot
10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
everyone else pays to get to work. gas, metro, parking, etc. welcome to reality.

What company charges people that work there fees to park in the company parking lot?

Danzig
10-23-2007, 08:25 PM
What company charges people that work there fees to park in the company parking lot?

ever been to d.c.?

look at new york, a parking spot can cost you more than the apt you rent. you live there, and can't even park there.
i think $50 is steep for a jock, since he is parking to work there, but to say no one pays to go to work would be incorrect.

Riot
10-23-2007, 08:31 PM
ever been to d.c.?

look at new york, a parking spot can cost you more than the apt you rent. you live there, and can't even park there.
i think $50 is steep for a jock, since he is parking to work there, but to say no one pays to go to work would be incorrect.

Nobody said no one pays to go to work. We are not talking about renting a space to have a car in the city, nor tolls, nor gas, nor paying for a taxi or commuting on a train.

We are talking about people being charged to park at their place of employment, charged to park on company property.

I think it would be nice if the first race were delayed, as all the jocks were still in their cars out on the street, having "forgotten" to bring fifty bucks cash with them so that they can park their cars on the company lot.

How much do the owners and trainers have to pay to park their cars at the track that day? The mutual clerks? The stewards? The catering employees?

Danzig
10-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Nobody said no one pays to go to work. We are not talking about renting a space to have a car in the city, nor tolls, nor gas, nor paying for a taxi or commuting on a train.

We are talking about people being charged to park at their place of employment, charged to park on company property.

I think it would be nice if the first race were delayed, as all the jocks were still in their cars out on the street, having "forgotten" to bring fifty bucks cash with them so that they can park their cars on the company lot.

How much do the owners and trainers have to pay to park their cars at the track that day? The mutual clerks? The stewards? The catering employees?

good question, and i was wondering and about to ask the same thing.

what do tracks usually do about the jocks and other employees? parking will be at a premium, which would be expected.

but this is not a good way for monmouth to show that they can handle all that goes with hosting the bc, and instilling confidence in the powers that be for a potential repeat.

saratoga guy
10-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Some harsh assessments of jockeys early in this thread ("crying", "whining"...) that don't seem to be fairly based on what was written.

The article quotes only one jockey. He says, "As with any sporting venue, whether football or baseball, accommodations should be made for participants who make the event possible – whether owners, trainers, or jockeys."

Seems reasonable to me.

Oh, and he then adds, "Those are all miniscule things to me. I’m happy to have the opportunity, and if it’s going to cost me to ride a morning-line second choice starter in the Breeders’ Cup, I’m gonna pay it."

I would hardly qualify that as whiny or crying...

blackthroatedwind
10-23-2007, 09:15 PM
If the jockey's are honestly being asked to pay for parking, and frankly their families should park for free as well, then they do have a very legitimate gripe. Let's be serious here. However, they only have themselves to blame for continually choosing leadership that fails to capably represent them. But, this is ridiculous and nobody can seriously suggest they should pay for parking and it seems more than fair that they be given a minimum of two free seats.

disappearingdan_akaplaya
10-23-2007, 09:19 PM
some of you seem to think that whole 10% of the purses share the owner gets is theirs, do you have any idea how much of their actual earnings go to their agents? plus they have to pay for pants(yes they have many more than 1 pair), boots, whips, tipping valets etc etc. jockeys crying again?

well if it were up to some people like the "mighty" d'wayne luk a$ s jockeys would go and ride for free and have to continue to reduce and lose weight until they die. they gotta a easy life right? all they do is get on a horse for 1-2 minutes every race and thats it huh? well thats not it and they dont make as much as you think, as publicized on hbo jockey some cant even afford to make enough to buy their own insurance which is outrageous to insure someone who does what they do.

i dont think its just the jocks that get screwed the horseman in general constantly get it in the rear from the racetrack

Riot
10-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Oh, and he then adds, "Those are all miniscule things to me. I’m happy to have the opportunity, and if it’s going to cost me to ride a morning-line second choice starter in the Breeders’ Cup, I’m gonna pay it."

That was a very disturbing quote for me to read. I do not like to hear people sound as if they are compelled by their professional environment to publically devalue themselves.

Coach Pants
10-23-2007, 09:31 PM
i dont think its just the jocks that get screwed the horseman in general constantly get it in the rear from the racetrack

I thought you liked taking it in the rear?

disappearingdan_akaplaya
10-23-2007, 09:33 PM
I thought you liked taking it in the rear?

nice! once again nothing to offer(big surprise), do alotta people here a favor and go eat cheetos and whack off or just to shorten it up.......go f* ck yourself

disappearingdan_akaplaya
10-23-2007, 09:35 PM
keep runnin your flap tho, im not gonna respond to you or your fellow rump wrangla buddy dab1tch anymore

Coach Pants
10-23-2007, 09:38 PM
nice! once again nothing to offer(big surprise), do alotta people here a favor and go eat cheetos and whack off or just to shorten it up.......go f* ck yourself...and send me pics

Say please.

Linny
10-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Ah...well, as for the riders...

I think that rather than comparing jocks to commuters to Manhattan why not look at what is typical and customary in their industry. Most tracks have rider lots and horsemens lots that are free. Most tracks and prior BC's have offered such ammenities AND granted riders a pair of guest seats. I don't think that it's really the money but is is a matter of principle. I'm sure the half C-Note won't kill any jock riding in the Cup but the BC's attitude and changing of rules goes against what is industry standard and what they have provided for 23 years.

IrishofNDMan
10-23-2007, 10:23 PM
some of you seem to think that whole 10% of the purses share the owner gets is theirs, do you have any idea how much of their actual earnings go to their agents? plus they have to pay for pants(yes they have many more than 1 pair), boots, whips, tipping valets etc etc. jockeys crying again?

well if it were up to some people like the "mighty" d'wayne luk a$ s jockeys would go and ride for free and have to continue to reduce and lose weight until they die. they gotta a easy life right? all they do is get on a horse for 1-2 minutes every race and thats it huh? well thats not it and they dont make as much as you think, as publicized on hbo jockey some cant even afford to make enough to buy their own insurance which is outrageous to insure someone who does what they do.

They really pay for their own whips??? Must not be that expensive if some jockeys keep throwing them to kids in the crowd before going in the winners circle.

Cannon Shell
10-23-2007, 10:40 PM
They really pay for their own whips??? Must not be that expensive if some jockeys keep throwing them to kids in the crowd before going in the winners circle.
Those aren't kids...that is the underprivledged jockey section. The winning jockey is just donating the whip to one of his hard luck peers.

ELA
10-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Some harsh assessments of jockeys early in this thread ("crying", "whining"...) that don't seem to be fairly based on what was written.

The article quotes only one jockey. He says, "As with any sporting venue, whether football or baseball, accommodations should be made for participants who make the event possible – whether owners, trainers, or jockeys."

Seems reasonable to me.

Excellent points. However, are you sure you want to confuse rantings and ravings with your logic and facts. LOL.

Eric

ELA
10-23-2007, 10:56 PM
If the jockey's are honestly being asked to pay for parking, and frankly their families should park for free as well, then they do have a very legitimate gripe. Let's be serious here. However, they only have themselves to blame for continually choosing leadership that fails to capably represent them. But, this is ridiculous and nobody can seriously suggest they should pay for parking and it seems more than fair that they be given a minimum of two free seats.

Andy, this is the real issue -- should the jocks have to pay for tickets? Should they have to pay for tickets for their wives and children? That's all. Reacting to their reaction is deflection and noise, that's all. As far as blame, big picture, that's a seperate issue. In this case, this would have happened regardless of who was leading the Guild.

Eric

10 pnt move up
10-23-2007, 11:02 PM
From what I understand they cant even sell the place out, seems a little weak to me that they are not getting complimentary tickets in that case based on what they have done the prior 23 years.

Bigsmc
10-24-2007, 03:24 AM
From what I understand they cant even sell the place out, seems a little weak to me that they are not getting complimentary tickets in that case based on what they have done the prior 23 years.

That is another thread in itself. The BC has completely lost it with the ticket pricing and the public is answering loud and clear. Whomever thought that people would spend $200+ per seat to allow them to sit out in the elements (in late Oct. on the Jersey shore) on the apron should be fired. It is way too easy in this day and age to stay home, snuggle up to your favorite ADW and avoid the on track mess of parking, wagering lines and overpriced concessions.

I have no clue as to how the money (tickets, concessions and wagering) is split up amongst the entities involved, but one would think it would be smarter to have reasonable ticket prices in order to sell the place out and get the money through the windows.

letswastemoney
10-24-2007, 03:30 AM
When I went to the Breeder's Cup in 2003 at Santa Anita, I just walked in. I didn't pre order any tickets like you guys.....I'm confused as to all these expensive ticket prices.

It was the only Breeder's Cup I've been to and I don't remember what I payed to get in...but it couldn't have been that much.

Bigsmc
10-24-2007, 06:25 AM
When I went to the Breeder's Cup in 2003 at Santa Anita, I just walked in. I didn't pre order any tickets like you guys.....I'm confused as to all these expensive ticket prices.

It was the only Breeder's Cup I've been to and I don't remember what I payed to get in...but it couldn't have been that much.

Five years is a long time. I haven't looked back through my stuff to see how much tickets used to be, but I regularly used to buy 4 seats even though it was only my brother and I going (elbow room, esp. on those CD bleachers) and if they were anywhere near what they are now, I would've only bought two.

I think a lot has to do with the size of venue. The bigger places usually have cheaper pricing because they have more tickets to sell. Monmouth being smaller has a limited number of seats for the event and a limited number of GA tickets. That said, someone overestimated how many people were willing to leave their home (as well as their computer and HD TV) to pay these prices. Otherwise, there wouldn't be tickets still available and others being sold for under face value. The track is less than 2 hours (some of you locals can help me with that) from the most populated city in the US for crying out loud.

You want a packed house. It looks good on TV (for the sport of horse racing in general) and it's good for the on track handle.

GBBob
10-24-2007, 06:36 AM
That is another thread in itself. The BC has completely lost it with the ticket pricing and the public is answering loud and clear. Whomever thought that people would spend $200+ per seat to allow them to sit out in the elements (in late Oct. on the Jersey shore) on the apron should be fired. It is way too easy in this day and age to stay home, snuggle up to your favorite ADW and avoid the on track mess of parking, wagering lines and overpriced concessions.

I have no clue as to how the money (tickets, concessions and wagering) is split up amongst the entities involved, but one would think it would be smarter to have reasonable ticket prices in order to sell the place out and get the money through the windows.

For what it's worth..Looking at my old BC Tix..

'92 Gulfstream First Level Apron Box : $50.00
'99 Gulfstream: Grandstand :$95.00
'02 AP: Apron Box (equivelant to '92 GS) : $140.00
'03 SA: Res Grandstand ( equiv to '99 GS) $125.00
'04 LS: Upper Stretch Bleachers :$75.00
'06 CD Get me in the door tix $35.00

viscount26
10-24-2007, 06:48 AM
The track is less than 2 hours (some of you locals can help me with that) from the most populated city in the US for crying out loud.

You want a packed house. It looks good on TV (for the sport of horse racing in general) and it's good for the on track handle.

Mike,
It's around 1hour:40 mins from Penn Station in NY to Monmouth. Where I am I have to add another 40 mins, and anyone on the Island a little more

deltagulf
10-24-2007, 09:18 AM

agree 100 %. just like for super bowl players and family get free tickets.
so should jocks and family.

freddymo
10-24-2007, 09:23 AM
A lot to do about nothing.. Tell me who is charging Prado for parking? Inane BS

10 pnt move up
10-24-2007, 09:41 AM
Well I know they charge riders for extra tickets beyond the two comps, at santa anita the tickets I had got via a rider, granted good seats in some temporary tables at the finish line were $275.