PDA

View Full Version : It has to be said

Coach Pants
10-19-2007, 08:04 AM
The Breeders' Cup is going to suck. The three extra races are overkill. The location is terrible. The Classic is too small of a field to be called Classic. There aren't enough euros shipping for the turf races. The Juvenile Turf had to be approved by someone who aspires to be Corky from "Life Goes On." ESPN will ruin what is left of the sport.

There. I feel better now.

slotdirt
10-19-2007, 08:12 AM
I somewhat agree with all of that except for the location part. Nothing wrong with the Jersey shore, and the weather is going to be about 2,831 times better than it was at Churchill last year.

miraja2
10-19-2007, 08:39 AM
They...would...have...to...sprout...wings...to find a worse Breeders' Cup than this one.
Oh, and that might be another reason the BC will suck. Is he calling it again this year?

Bobby Fischer
10-19-2007, 08:44 AM
It aint perfect but it's great. :confused: :)

slotdirt
10-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Come on, they had the Breeders Cup at Lone Star three years ago, people! Lone Star! At least Monmouth has some kind of tradition and a few big GI races. Monmouth is aesthetically pleasing a track as there is outside of Saratoga and Del Mar.

King Glorious
10-19-2007, 09:03 AM
I don't know how it's going to turn out. Could be some exciting races. But going in, this is the least excited I've ever been about a BC. Even the Classic, likely to determine HOY, is far below the standard that this race should be at. Only one horse in the field has ever run a figure higher than 115 and only four have gone over 110. Nobody in the Distaff field makes anyone think of Paseana or Personal Ensign or Go for Wand or Bayakoa. Hell, not even Pleasant Home. None come close to reaching the level that is par for this race. Take out Midnight Lute's 124 outlier and the best we have for the Sprint is Idiot Proof's 113. The run by Dylan Thomas is nice to have since we don't usually get the Arc winner anymore. The addition of George Washington has added at least a little intrigue. The craziest part about all of this is that the most exciting horse, the one everyone will be anticipating seeing the most on the card will be running Friday. Discreet Cat is still the one people want to see.

ArlJim78
10-19-2007, 09:04 AM
They...would...have...to...sprout...wings...to find a worse Breeders' Cup than this one.
Oh, and that might be another reason the BC will suck. Is he calling it again this year?
oh god yes he is calling it, so we'll get the same stuff over and over.

like whenever a horse in a route race takes a clear lead into the backstretch they are always "just loping along, ears pricked, taking it all in". if i hear that again i will scream. aren't the other loping along with their ears pricked? or is it only the leader who is on a clear lead?

"moving like a winner"

slotdirt
10-19-2007, 09:15 AM
If there is one horse I really don't care about that is running, it's Discreet Cat. He so jumped the shark like two races ago.

King Glorious
10-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Unlike others, I personally feel like having Trevor call the races makes the day that much better.

NTamm1215
10-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Unlike others, I personally feel like having Trevor call the races makes the day that much better.

Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB6NdbRDVkQ

I don't think Trevor calling makes the day better.

NT

King Glorious
10-19-2007, 09:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB6NdbRDVkQ

I don't think Trevor calling makes the day better.

NT

Ok. I do.

docicu3
10-19-2007, 09:21 AM

Is it too late to lobby for the usual colored saddle cloths or

Irakus so we can actually follow the races .......

philcski
10-19-2007, 09:24 AM
The Breeders' Cup is going to suck. The three extra races are overkill. The location is terrible. The Classic is too small of a field to be called Classic. There aren't enough euros shipping for the turf races. The Juvenile Turf had to be approved by someone who aspires to be Corky from "Life Goes On." ESPN will ruin what is left of the sport.

Pillow, we agree most of the time, but I think you're completely wrong here. The Classic field is too small? Did they say that in '89? Who cares about the Euros, I'm sick and tired of losing money on buying into the hype anyways.

And if you think Monmouth is a terrible location, you obviously haven't been there. It's a fantastic racetrack and it should have been brought here a long time ago.

whodey17
10-19-2007, 09:25 AM
The weather at Churchill last year was nice. It was cool in the morning, but it warmed up later in the afternoon.

I was looking at the PP's yesterday trying to come up with some possible pick 6 tickets and I was thinking, man what a horrible Breeders Cup.

my miss storm cat
10-19-2007, 09:25 AM

Well I agree about the location and the lack of Euros.

This is the least excited I've been about the BC.....

philcski
10-19-2007, 09:28 AM
The weather at Churchill last year was nice. It was cool in the morning, but it warmed up later in the afternoon.

I was looking at the PP's yesterday trying to come up with some possible pick 6 tickets and I was thinking, man what a horrible Breeders Cup.

I'd be happy if they had the BC at Churchill every year, but it was COOOOOLD last year.

Well I agree about the location and the lack of Euros.

This is the least excited I've been about the BC.....

C'mon, why's everyone hating on Monmouth?!? I guarantee everyone that goes will come away saying "I had no idea it was this good".

slotdirt
10-19-2007, 09:33 AM

Were you there last year? It was cold and miserable, and by classic time, the temps had to be in the mid-40's. Louisville isn't supposed to be that cold that early in the year.

Coach Pants
10-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Pillow, we agree most of the time, but I think you're completely wrong here. The Classic field is too small? Did they say that in '89? Who cares about the Euros, I'm sick and tired of losing money on buying into the hype anyways.

And if you think Monmouth is a terrible location, you obviously haven't been there. It's a fantastic racetrack and it should have been brought here a long time ago.

Except now you have scumbags owning and training the premier horses. How I miss the days of Charlie Whittingham and Shug McGaughey at the top of their game.

Steve Asmussen is nothing more than a criminal in my eyes. The guy should be in prison, not in the winner's circle on BC day.

Bigsmc
10-19-2007, 09:53 AM
C'mon, why's everyone hating on Monmouth?!? I guarantee everyone that goes will come away saying "I had no idea it was this good".

Do you have an "in" with Mother Nature Phil? If so, make sure it is warm and sunny because I am on the apron on Saturday with no cover.

Never been to Monmouth so I have no opinion on the venue. I'll take your word for it.

whodey17
10-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Were you there last year? It was cold and miserable, and by classic time, the temps had to be in the mid-40's. Louisville isn't supposed to be that cold that early in the year.I was down on the rail right where the starting gate is for 1 1/16 races. I thought the weather was nice. I wore a pair of khakis and a short sleeve button-up shirt.

I do hope Monmouth has better concessions that Churchill did last year.

Antitrust32
10-19-2007, 09:59 AM
monmouth is a great track, very pretty. It should be a great day of racing.

I'm not too excited about all the races, but they will all be real good and I think the classic is as good as any other, even with 9 horses. Street Sense, Curlin, Hard Spun, Any Given Saturday, Lawyer Ron, Tiago and GW will put on a first class show.

Mortimer
10-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Chiara?

philcski
10-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Except now you have scumbags owning and training the premier horses. How I miss the days of Charlie Whittingham and Shug McGaughey at the top of their game.

Steve Asmussen is nothing more than a criminal in my eyes. The guy should be in prison, not in the winner's circle on BC day.

This we agree 110% on.

Do you have an "in" with Mother Nature Phil? If so, make sure it is warm and sunny because I am on the apron on Saturday with no cover.

Never been to Monmouth so I have no opinion on the venue. I'll take your word for it.

I wish I did... I'm in the same boat if it rains. Section 703 Friday and 708 Saturday. You will love the venue, I can assure you. How many days are you going to be there?

RolloTomasi
10-19-2007, 10:17 AM

He would have been great in previous years. He was terrible last year though. Completely failed to call Street Sense until a 100 yards out (he was all over Circular Quay's "massive" rally instead) and didn't even see Pine Island go down or notice that she was missing.

Hopefully it was nerves and not senility.

jman5581
10-19-2007, 10:18 AM
We need Luke...

But Trevor will do... And away they go...

blackthroatedwind
10-19-2007, 10:20 AM
I thought the weather was nice. I wore a pair of khakis and a short sleeve button-up shirt.

This explains a lot.

Mortimer
10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
This explains a lot.

Someone help me.

Too late.

thud

Bigsmc
10-19-2007, 10:25 AM
I wish I did... I'm in the same boat if it rains. Section 703 Friday and 708 Saturday. You will love the venue, I can assure you. How many days are you going to be there?

Just Friday and Saturday.