PDA

View Full Version : Magnum (the horse)

Secretariat
06-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Lost in the fog last weekend was the
Lone Star Park Handicapp,

a race last year that earmarked Shamoan as one to keep on eye out for. This year this race was no different.

Magnum, a striking dark bay from Argentina, is climbing the charts among the nation's older horses. Monday, he picked up his first stakes win when he proved much the best in the Grade 3$400,000 Lone Star Park Handicap

Magnum came into the race off two strong performances. He was second by three-quarters of a length to Lava Man in the Grade 1 Santa Anita Handicap in March, then one start later shipped from his Southern California base to Arkansas and ran second to Buzzards Bay in the Grade 2 Oaklawn Handicap in April. When he returned home, his connections plotted a three-race summer campaign. The plan began last Monday with the Lone Star.
"So our next step that we had charted was the Hollywood Gold Cup, and we're going to be pointing for that, and from the Gold Cup, if things go right, we'll go into the Pacific Classic.

"One step at a time, but two steps in our mind."

The Grade 1, $750,000 Hollywood Gold Cup will be run at Hollywood Park on July 8. The

Grade 1, $1 million Pacific Classic will be run at Del Mar on Aug. 20.

Magnum was scheduled to fly back to his Santa Anita base on Thursday

Metal Man
06-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Magnum is the real deal. Now 6 weeks ago he couldn't close any ground on Buzzard's Bay and BB just breezed 7f in 125 ( that's listed as breezing witch they don't do very often to SoCal) , so who's it going to be Lava Man , BB, or Magnum?

Secretariat
06-01-2006, 10:49 AM
i would think 9f or 10f would bring different answers.
don't forget the surf kitty, at 9f, not 10f.

jpops757
06-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Lost in the fog last weekend was the
Lone Star Park Handicapp,

a race last year that earmarked Shamoan as one to keep on eye out for. This year this race was no different.

Magnum, a striking dark bay from Argentina, is climbing the charts among the nation's older horses. Monday, he picked up his first stakes win when he proved much the best in the Grade 3$400,000 Lone Star Park Handicap

Magnum came into the race off two strong performances. He was second by three-quarters of a length to Lava Man in the Grade 1 Santa Anita Handicap in March, then one start later shipped from his Southern California base to Arkansas and ran second to Buzzards Bay in the Grade 2 Oaklawn Handicap in April. When he returned home, his connections plotted a three-race summer campaign. The plan began last Monday with the Lone Star.
"So our next step that we had charted was the Hollywood Gold Cup, and we're going to be pointing for that, and from the Gold Cup, if things go right, we'll go into the Pacific Classic.

"One step at a time, but two steps in our mind."

The Grade 1, $750,000 Hollywood Gold Cup will be run at Hollywood Park on July 8. The

Grade 1, $1 million Pacific Classic will be run at Del Mar on Aug. 20.

Magnum was scheduled to fly back to his Santa Anita base on Thursday
I dont know what his sheet numbers were but he beyers was a biggie. I was there and tex pusshed him but he won easy. The Preacher ran up the track after running well in the last graded Stakes at LS. I didnt hear any comments from Baffert. We had a thunderstorm about 3 or 4 races before his race and the track was wet but it didnt appear any of the horses had any trouble with the track. He was impressive. But he was suppose to be the winner. Therefore was it impresive?

Metal Man
06-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Magnum is a horse to watch. Texess ran another big race for Mike Mitchell. Texess keeps running with the top western based horses . He has impressed me.

Cunningham Racing
06-01-2006, 11:12 PM
I loved the fact that he was able to lay close to a 46.30 half mile...that tractability is a weapon he's never shown before....if he can display that early speed to stay in decent contention early on against top class company and still display his devastating turn of foot in the stretch, then he may be a viable upset option in his next start against better.....I'm pretty suspect on his 111 Beyer figure earned...think it is inflated like many LS Beyers have been so far this year (if you've kept up with LS you know what I mean)..probably more like around a 105-ish number, which still isn't horrible.

He'll still have to improve to catch Lava Man at this point IMO. Buyt I like him better than Surf Cat as a closer going the Classic handicap distances on the West coast.