PDA

View Full Version : Why are Hard Spun's Connections so stubborn?

NoLuvForPletch
09-18-2007, 02:41 PM
While I think there is a good chance Hard Spun can hold off Street Sense in the KCC at Turfway, why do his connections insist on running him at 1 1/4 miles in the BCC? He's not going to win, and I love Hard Spun. Wouldn't it make him more valuable as a stallion if he goes on the grass and takes the BCM? I mean, he did finish second in the Derby, so he's already proven he can carry his speed, even though he didn't win. If he takes to the grass and takes the Mile, after winning the King's Bishop, doesn't that make him a very unique breeding prospect?

blackthroatedwind
09-18-2007, 02:50 PM
What if he goes on the grass and runs dead last? Why are you so convinced he will take to the turf, and win the Mile? Shakespeare would eat him up.

He's very well bred for grass and a number of people I respect think he has a lot of physical things going for him in terms of handling the turf. I can't disagree that his chances in the Mile are better than they are in the Classic.

I wonder if Godolphin has anything to do with whatever decision they make.

NoLuvForPletch
09-18-2007, 02:51 PM
What if he goes on the grass and runs dead last? Why are you so convinced he will take to the turf, and win the Mile? Shakespeare would eat him up.

First off, he's by Danzig so it's quite likely the grass would be to his liking. Second, Larry Jones has said he likes it when they work him over it. Third, they wouldn't have to run him in the Mile as his first try on the grass. They could've run him in the Kelso at Belmont (too late now as the noms are in) on the same day as the KCC, and if he showed that it wasn't for him, they can make plans from there. What is the difference running him a mile on the grass as a prep for the BCC or a 1 1/8 miles on the poly as a prep for the BCC if the grass didn't work out? I just don't think 1 1/4 miles is his game.

LARHAGE
09-18-2007, 02:54 PM
While I think there is a good chance Hard Spun can hold off Street Sense in the KCC at Turfway, why do his connections insist on running him at 1 1/4 miles in the BCC? He's not going to win, and I love Hard Spun. Wouldn't it make him more valuable as a stallion if he goes on the grass and takes the BCM? I mean, he did finish second in the Derby, so he's already proven he can carry his speed, even though he didn't win. If he takes to the grass and takes the Mile, after winning the King's Bishop, doesn't that make him a very unique breeding prospect?

Shakespeare would crush him in the Mile.

SniperSB23
09-18-2007, 02:55 PM
He's very well bred for grass and a number of people I respect think he has a lot of physical things going for him in terms of handling the turf. I can't disagree that his chances in the Mile are better than they are in the Classic.

I wonder if Godolphin has anything to do with whatever decision they make.

I really think he'd be great on the turf also, too bad we'll probably never see it. I guess the thinking is that if they are going to take one last shot why not go for it all. I know Godolphin had a clause when they bought the breeding rights to Hard Spun that his connections would get a hefty bonus if they could get him a G1 win by the end of the year. There may be another lucrative bonus if he were to win the BC Classic which would give them even more incentive to take a shot. So Godolphin may be indirectly pointing them in that direction.

pmayjr
09-18-2007, 02:55 PM
The BCM would be a great spot for him I agree. So would the dirt mile or the sprint. I seriously think he has the speed to win at 6f as well. I don't think the King's Bishop was a fluke. But overall I agree that we've seen time and time again that he can't stay for 1 1/4. He's still a freak, so I agree, place him somewhere else.

blackthroatedwind
09-18-2007, 02:59 PM
I really think he'd be great on the turf also, too bad we'll probably never see it. I guess the thinking is that if they are going to take one last shot why not go for it all. I know Godolphin had a clause when they bought the breeding rights to Hard Spun that his connections would get a hefty bonus if they could get him a G1 win by the end of the year. There may be another lucrative bonus if he were to win the BC Classic which would give them even more incentive to take a shot. So Godolphin may be indirectly pointing them in that direction.

Well, one could argue that he is a rabbit for Street Sense in the Classic, at least for Godolphin's best interests, and if Lawyer Ron continues his dominance outside of Saratoga in the Jockey Club then Hard Spun's presense may be needed. Who knows what speed types are now pointing to the Classic due to the new Mile ( and 70 ) race.

NoLuvForPletch
09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Well, one could argue that he is a rabbit for Street Sense in the Classic, at least for Godolphin's best interests, and if Lawyer Ron continues his dominance outside of Saratoga in the Jockey Club then Hard Spun's presense may be needed. Who knows what speed types are now pointing to the Classic due to the new Mile ( and 70 ) race.

Is this Andy or Indian Charlie?

NoLuvForPletch
09-18-2007, 03:02 PM
I think he is up the track in the Classic myself, but IMO what is the incentive for running in the Mile? He's not going to prep on the turf, so it just seems like a big risk to me. I realize that the mile is sort of scattered right now and we don't know who is showing up. But why not the BC mile and 70?

Why in a billion years would they run him in an ungraded stakes race?

blackthroatedwind
09-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Is this Andy or Indian Charlie?

What's that supposed to mean?

NoLuvForPletch
09-18-2007, 03:05 PM
What's that supposed to mean?

Indian Charlie wrote the same thing on his sheet on Monday about Hard Spun being a rabbit for Street Sense in the KCC. NO offense intended.

Linny
09-18-2007, 03:08 PM

Larry Jones told me that his initial thought on HS was that he'd make a great grass miler. He is by Danzig and had breeding rights not been sold, he (Jones) would likely have run him on grass already.

blackthroatedwind
09-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Indian Charlie wrote the same thing on his sheet on Monday about Hard Spun being a rabbit for Street Sense in the KCC. NO offense intended.

I miss Indian Charlie's assaults on me. It was the highest form of flattery.

blackthroatedwind
09-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Because of the million dollar purse??? He's got his grade 1, what else does he need on his resume?

I think, once again, you have to ask yourself if you think Godolphin has any say about which race he chooses. Certainly they would be against the ungraded Mile ( and 70 ). But, from an owner's perspective, you may well be right that is the race he has the most equity in.

NoLuvForPletch
09-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Because of the million dollar purse??? He's got his grade 1, what else does he need on his resume?

The winner's share after trainer and jockey's cut is less than a half a mill. What does that really do for Porter and Godolphin in the grand scheme of things, especially if Porter is promised some kind of incentives for winning graded races?

SniperSB23
09-18-2007, 03:12 PM
I miss Indian Charlie's assaults on me. It was the highest form of flattery.

I only noticed him insulting some Andy Sterling guy.

blackthroatedwind
09-18-2007, 03:15 PM
I only noticed him insulting some Andy Sterling guy.

Yeah, that poor innocent guy keeps getting his name dragged through the mud because of me.

NoLuvForPletch
09-18-2007, 03:19 PM
I understand this, but it's not going to happen. My post was in response to the original poster sure he was not going to win the Classic, yet pretty sure he could win the Mile.

Please point out where in my original post I stated that I was "pretty sure he could win the Mile"?

I simply ask that IF he won the Mile as opposed to placing in the Classic wouldn't that make him unique? What good does it do for him to run 2nd, 3rd or even worse in another mile and a quarter race. He's already done that, multiple times.

King Glorious
09-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Please point out where in my original post I stated that I was "pretty sure he could win the Mile"?

I simply ask that IF he won the Mile as opposed to placing in the Classic wouldn't that make him unique? What good does it do for him to run 2nd, 3rd or even worse in another mile and a quarter race. He's already done that, multiple times.

He has?

Indian Charlie
09-18-2007, 03:27 PM
i think they should transfer hard spun to ron ellis and run him in the bc juvie.

NoLuvForPletch
09-18-2007, 03:28 PM
He has?

Well he ran 2nd in the Derby at a mile and a quarter and 3rd in the Preakness at a mile and three-sixteeths. Just for kicks, he ran 4th in the Belmont at a mile and a half. No?

ninetoone
09-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Is there any chance they would put him in the Sprint?

NoLuvForPletch
09-18-2007, 03:33 PM
You're right, you didn't say that exactly. I was wrong. I took it as you pretty sure he could win. my bad.

Okay, no problem. Let's put it this way, as a Hard Spun fan who probably thinks more of him than most, I think he has a better shot at winning the Mile than the Classic, because sadly I don't feel he has much of a shot of winning the Classic.

geeker2
09-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Won't Monmouth favor Hard Spun's racing style more so than any other track he has raced on?...and won't it tend to dis-favor Street Sense?

NoLuvForPletch
09-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Won't Monmouth favor Hard Spun's racing style more so than any other track he has raced on?...and won't it tend to dis-favor Street Sense?

It didn't look to help him in the Haskell as AGS blew right by, at a 1 1/8th.

geeker2
09-18-2007, 03:46 PM
It didn't look to help him in the Haskell as AGS blew right by, at a 1 1/8th.

True very true..and I was extremely happy as I bet AGS that day..as I recall HS bobbled start a bit..on BC day I would tell Pino to send send send and see what happens...

ArlJim78
09-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Okay, no problem. Let's put it this way, as a Hard Spun fan who probably thinks more of him than most, I think he has a better shot at winning the Mile than the Classic, because sadly I don't feel he has much of a shot of winning the Classic.
I like the horse also but think he is up against it in either race. frankly at Monmouth I'd give him a better chance of pulling off the classic than I would seeing him make his turf debut and win the mile.

even though I think he might be best at 8 or 9 furlongs, I kinda agree with what DrugS has said before and that is that his best shot is to just put him on dirt in the classic and send him out there, use his speed and make everyone work out trips and come get him.

geeker2
09-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Larry was on ATR yesterday...unless I missed something it sounded like he was 100% heading to the Classic ...

agree with the comment that says send him and make the other figure out how to beat him...his speed is his best asset and the Kings Bishop proved his gameness..

Bobby Fischer
09-18-2007, 05:24 PM
I remember when everyone was crying about HS pre derby work.
He might beat all the 3yos in the BC Classic.

We should send him to Pletcher and Allday, and create a turf god in Sunriver's image.

The big guy is about to retire. You need to develop form to win a grass race. The mile70yards is beneath him. The sprint is too quick. Yes he would be better in The Classic as a 4yo, but this is Hard Spun's last run. No time for that.

King Glorious
09-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I understand that his pedigree makes him an attractive posibility to run in the Mile, but I recall three-year-olds Peace Rules and Favorite Trick trying to win the Mile off of turf starts at the end of his two-year-old season and beginning of his three-year-old season ('Rules) and only one turf start three weeks before (Trick). Both were well-backed at the windows. (I know that Peace Rules was 2-1, and I thought that Favorite Trick was either the favorite or about 5-1.)

Even with blazing speed, isn't it asking a little much of him to hold off seasoned turf runners in a race that has almost always supported stalkers and closers?

Additionally, would he get in on points or be selected by the committee if the race is oversubscribed, which sometimes occurs?

While u recall Peace Rules and Favorite Trick, I think about Prized and War Chant. Prized won the BC Turf in his first start on the grass and War Chant won the BC Mile in his second start on grass, after having won the Oak Tree Mile in his grass debut. What about Lure? I am not sure but I think he made his grass debut in the Kelso (2nd) and then won the BC Mile. My point is that if a horse has the talent to do something, it won't matter if it's his first, second, or 20th time on the surface. If the distance of the Mile is his best distance, go for it. I can see him taking the same kind of tactics as Lure and wiring them.

If, however, the choice is between the Sprint, Dirt Mile or Classic, I'd go in the Classic. I agree that his best performance and best chance for a placing will come by jumping out there and making the others adjust to him. The others could make the assumption that he can't last and let Hard Spun coast on the lead just long enough to get brave enough to hold on. I don't think he's got the speed necessary to run with the best sprinters in the world early and I think it would be tougher holding off the best closers in a sprint than it was holding out First Defence.

Danzig
09-18-2007, 06:20 PM
porter already got a huge bankroll from selling the rights. then he gets a tremendous bonus with the gr 1 win. win, lose, or draw, he's got a HUGE amount of money from owning and then selling that horse. so, why not try the classic? it won't detract from the deal he's made, he's got his guaranteed bucks....it's only a win situation for him, there is no risk--horse is not going to be his after, he's got the money--why not try for the win?

The Indomitable DrugS
09-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Hard Spun's had four siblings - and all of them looked a little better on dirt.

Do you people realize that the Breeders Cup Classic is being run at Monmouth Park this year?

If it was run at most any other track - I think a rational case could probably be made for opting for another spot.

Cable Boy, Stormello, and Flying First Class are speed sprinters - I don't think they will be there to harass Hard Spun again...and make him rate - and no good horse looks any more uncomfortable rating than Hard Spun does.

He'll be vulnerable in the polytrack race at TP off his quick early - moderate late race on the sharp cut-back in the King's Bishop. I hope he runs VERY dismally in the TP race - and is "inexplicably" wheeled back to run in the Classic.

I'd love to get a big number on him come race day....and the worse he runs at TP - the less respect he gets from other riders in the race - the more likely he will be unpressured. And, as expectations lower, the more likely he is to finally be ridden correctly and with the proper tactics - and that is by gunning him to the lead (like in the Derby) and hoping the Monmouth Park track is as kind to one-dimensional speed as it was for the vast majority of the summer.

A real good performance by Hard Spun at TP - especially if it comes without being sent - is the absolute most discouraging thing someone who's intruged by him as a Breeders Cup Classic prospect would want to see.

Cannon Shell
09-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Hard Spuns chances
Classic- Not very strong
Dirt Mile and 70- Probable favorite(unless Discrete Cat appears)
Sprint- Probably no worse than third choice
Turf Mile- Probably the most unlikely chance

Personally I think that regardless of distance, he is just not as good as Lawyer Ron, Street Sense, AGS, or Curlin. When you factor in the 1 1/4, I dont think he can win the race with Lawyer Ron in it, keeping the pace honest.

The dirt mile and 70 is IMO his greatest chance to win. The field will be moderate (who is out there?) and the distance is probably the closest to ideal for him.

I believe he could be a major contender for the sprint. He is plenty fast enough and the sprinters this year are pretty weak overall. There is plenty of prescedent for a horse of his type to turn back to 6 and win.(Smile, Precisionist, Gulch, etc.)

I give him little to no chance in the turf mile. 1st off despite his breeding, he is not the type that makes the transition stylewise, easily. Secondly, because the American turf horses are exceptionally weak this year, the Europeans that show up will have an even bigger advantage than usual. And Neil Drysdale is not training him. No offense to Larry Jones but Drysdale is a master at these situations and Larry Jones is much better with dirt sprinting types.

I would choose the mile and 70 race but there are other factors at play I'm sure. The least of which is the owners insistence to do things a little screwy. Personally it should not really make a difference whether or not the race is a grade 1 or not because despite the race not being a grade 1, people (breeders) will still consider it as such. The truth is that he has already done enough now (Kings Bishop) for a lot of people to consider breeding to him, though for those who think he will be a successful stallion should realize that there was a reason that there are very few good sons of Danzig standing in the US. I guess what I am saying is that he would be a whole lot better off winning the mile and 70 race or sprint than he would being 4th in the classic or 8th in the turf mile.

Cannon Shell
09-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Hard Spun's had four siblings - and all of them looked a little better on dirt.

Do you people realize that the Breeders Cup Classic is being run at Monmouth Park this year?

If it was run at most any other track - I think a rational case could probably be made for opting for another spot.

Cable Boy, Stormello, and Flying First Class are speed sprinters - I don't think they will be there to harass Hard Spun again...and make him rate - and no good horse looks any more uncomfortable rating than Hard Spun does.

He'll be vulnerable in the polytrack race at TP off his quick early - moderate late race on the sharp cut-back in the King's Bishop. I hope he runs VERY dismally in the TP race - and is "inexplicably" wheeled back to run in the Classic.

I'd love to get a big number on him come race day....and the worse he runs at TP - the less respect he gets from other riders in the race - the more likely he will be unpressured. And, as expectations lower, the more likely he is to finally be ridden correctly and with the proper tactics - and that is by gunning him to the lead (like in the Derby) and hoping the Monmouth Park track is as kind to one-dimensional speed as it was for the vast majority of the summer.

A real good performance by Hard Spun at TP - especially if it comes without being sent - is the absolute most discouraging thing someone who's intruged by him as a Breeders Cup Classic prospect would want to see.
I will bet you that Monmouth will do everything possible to ensure the track is NOT speed favoring on BC day's 1 and 2. Dont you think that they recall the fallout from the perceived rail bias last year? Dont you think that every article written about Monmouth talks about the "speed favoring" track isn't read by Kulina and company? Don't you think that they don't want a parade of wire to wire winners which may hamper their efforts to get the Cup in the future? Isn't it possible that the track may play different in the late fall than it does in the summer?

The Indomitable DrugS
09-18-2007, 08:38 PM
The dirt mile and 70 is IMO his greatest chance to win. The field will be moderate (who is out there?) and the distance is probably the closest to ideal for him.

There figures to be a lot of cheap speed in that race...and it's been cheap speed (and one bizarre Gomez ride) that has harassed this horse since the Derby.

While, from a percentage standpoint, it would look as though his chances are a lot better in that race because of the likely steep drop off in competition (unless DC comes back healthy and runs in that race) I think he has the look of a bet-against on race shape alone in the Dirt Mile. Opposite of that, I think he will have the look of an outstanding betting oppertunity, on race-shape alone, in the Breeders Cup Classic.

Samarta
09-18-2007, 08:40 PM
porter already got a huge bankroll from selling the rights. then he gets a tremendous bonus with the gr 1 win. win, lose, or draw, he's got a HUGE amount of money from owning and then selling that horse. so, why not try the classic? it won't detract from the deal he's made, he's got his guaranteed bucks....it's only a win situation for him, there is no risk--horse is not going to be his after, he's got the money--why not try for the win?

I agree with Chuck......when they all line up, do you really think he has a chance? Right now, he's at least 4th maybe 5th choice if the race includes SS, LR, AGS, and Curlin. So he lands another 15 million by winning the King's Bishop and now stands to collect 35 million when he hands the reigns to Darley, so the money is of least importance.....so from a competition perspective wouldn't you rather run a race where if everyone runs their best race, you got a shot? If everyone runs their best race in the BCC he's got no shot.

The Indomitable DrugS
09-18-2007, 08:45 PM
I will bet you that Monmouth will do everything possible to ensure the track is NOT speed favoring on BC day's 1 and 2.

Well, why wouldn't Monmouth have done "everything possible" to ensure the track was not inside-speed favoring on ALL of their big racing days this year?

I know what you're saying - but, I'm not exactly betting on a slow, tiring, track come BC day.

Big racing days are rarely times when tracks showcase their ability to make their racetrack as slow and tiring as possible.

Cannon Shell
09-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Well, why wouldn't Monmouth have done "everything possible" to ensure the track was not inside-speed favoring on ALL of their big racing days this year?

I know what you're saying - but, I'm not exactly betting on a slow, tiring, track come BC day.

Big racing days are rarely times when tracks showcase their ability to make their racetrack as slow and tiring as possible.
Because there is little chance that they will lose the Haskell to Belmont or Churchill. They are under the microscope and be sure that they know it. If you see 3 or 4 wire to wire winners in the dirt races ypu can be sure you wont see Monmouth with another Breeders Cup.

geeker2
09-18-2007, 09:03 PM
[Big racing days are rarely times when tracks showcase their ability to make their racetrack as slow and tiring as possible.

Man..if the track is going to be playing slow- Baffert might boycott :rolleyes:

sumitas
09-18-2007, 09:08 PM
LOL, whaaaaaa, whaaaaaaa:D

ArlJim78
09-18-2007, 09:10 PM
Because there is little chance that they will lose the Haskell to Belmont or Churchill. They are under the microscope and be sure that they know it. If you see 3 or 4 wire to wire winners in the dirt races ypu can be sure you wont see Monmouth with another Breeders Cup.
if this is an issue they are concerned with, why wouldn't they have already taken the steps to make the track less speed favoring? why do it only on those two days? won't that also look bad to make a last minute surface change? what good did it do for the people who sent their BC contenders out there to get a race in on the surface, if they go and substantially alter it at the last minute?

Cannon Shell
09-18-2007, 09:17 PM
if this is an issue they are concerned with, why wouldn't they have already taken the steps to make the track less speed favoring? why do it only on those two days? won't that also look bad to make a last minute surface change? what good did it do for the people who sent their BC contenders out there to get a race in on the surface, if they go and substantially alter it at the last minute?
"Changing" the track is a simple process of taking extra dirt off , adding some or adding clay, changing the length of the harrows, adding water or not...
They dont have to dig it up or anything.

How will we know how the surface is playing until the BC days since they have no races there now?

I am always skeptical about saying a race over the track in July has any effect in November under different circumstances like the fact it will probably be 45 degrees colder and likely wetter.

ArlJim78
09-18-2007, 09:27 PM
"Changing" the track is a simple process of taking extra dirt off , adding some or adding clay, changing the length of the harrows, adding water or not...
They dont have to dig it up or anything.

How will we know how the surface is playing until the BC days since they have no races there now?

I am always skeptical about saying a race over the track in July has any effect in November under different circumstances like the fact it will probably be 45 degrees colder and likely wetter.
i wasn't implying it was a complicated process to change it, but that track has played pretty consistently for some time. i guess fall weather is another variable though. lots of attention will be focused on the prelimary races.

Cannon Shell
09-18-2007, 09:29 PM
i wasn't implying it was a complicated process to change it, but that track has played pretty consistently for some time. i guess fall weather is another variable though. lots of attention will be focused on the prelimary races.
It is like 3/5 to rain that weekend anyway

blackthroatedwind
09-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Lure demolished a field in his grass debut prior to running second on soft or yielding turf in the Kelso.

geeker2
09-18-2007, 09:40 PM

Maybe entering Hard Spun in the turf mile isn't such a bad idea...when it gets washed off and we have 3/4 of the field scratch..he would be a lock! :D

Cannon Shell
09-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Maybe entering Hard Spun in the turf mile isn't such a bad idea...when it gets washed off and we have 3/4 of the field scratch..he would be a lock! :D
Coming off the turf wont happen no matter what

But I would like to see a horse entered
MTO-No rider

in the Turf.

The Indomitable DrugS
09-18-2007, 09:43 PM
MTO-No rider

in the Turf.

That's about as likely to happen as the Cleveland Browns scoring over 50 points in a game.

NoLuvForPletch
09-18-2007, 09:48 PM

Oh don't say that Chuck...My seats are on the apron and there is only enough room inside for 20 people, 30 tops...

NoLuvForPletch
09-18-2007, 09:49 PM
Coming off the turf wont happen no matter what

MTO-No rider

in the Turf.

Evening Attire

Cannon Shell
09-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Oh don't say that Chuck...My seats are on the apron and there is only enough room inside for 20 people, 30 tops...
Dress warm:D

Danzig
09-19-2007, 05:20 AM
I agree with Chuck......when they all line up, do you really think he has a chance? Right now, he's at least 4th maybe 5th choice if the race includes SS, LR, AGS, and Curlin. So he lands another 15 million by winning the King's Bishop and now stands to collect 35 million when he hands the reigns to Darley, so the money is of least importance.....so from a competition perspective wouldn't you rather run a race where if everyone runs their best race, you got a shot? If everyone runs their best race in the BCC he's got no shot.

if he wins it, porter gets to say he owned a classic winner.
if he loses, what does porter lose? nothing. he doesn't have to worry about a blemish on hard spuns record, he doens't have to try to make this horse succeed in his next career. there is zero risk for him.

personally, i hope a horse with no darley connections wins the thing. they snapped up all these horses, trying to buy a win, i hope a 'small timer' gets the glory. but you'd have to think darley would rather street sense wins it, since they have both him and his sire. but they've covered their bases with any given saturday, and now own part of HIS sire, and then of course hard spun...

Samarta
09-19-2007, 10:14 PM
if he wins it, porter gets to say he owned a classic winner.
if he loses, what does porter lose? nothing. he doesn't have to worry about a blemish on hard spuns record, he doens't have to try to make this horse succeed in his next career. there is zero risk for him.

personally, i hope a horse with no darley connections wins the thing. they snapped up all these horses, trying to buy a win, i hope a 'small timer' gets the glory. but you'd have to think darley would rather street sense wins it, since they have both him and his sire. but they've covered their bases with any given saturday, and now own part of HIS sire, and then of course hard spun...

But that's the name of the game for a lot of them including Porter....Offered in the 4 mill range for Lawyer Ron when he was still with Holthus at Oaklawn. He just bought 50% interest in Kodiak Kowboy. It's what a lot of people do....I don't fault Darley at all.....

King Glorious
09-20-2007, 12:58 AM
But that's the name of the game for a lot of them including Porter....Offered in the 4 mill range for Lawyer Ron when he was still with Holthus at Oaklawn. He just bought 50% interest in Kodiak Kowboy. It's what a lot of people do....I don't fault Darley at all.....

Amen.

Danzig
09-20-2007, 05:10 AM
yeah, that's true. but darley has tremendously deep pockets, they could buy up all of it, and then every week we could watch darley horses. wouldn't that be fun? hey, we could even change the name of the breed to darleys. well, maybe not..i kid. but i always root for the underdog anyway. and certainly darley is no underdog.

Samarta
09-20-2007, 07:20 PM
yeah, that's true. but darley has tremendously deep pockets, they could buy up all of it, and then every week we could watch darley horses. wouldn't that be fun? hey, we could even change the name of the breed to darleys. well, maybe not..i kid. but i always root for the underdog anyway. and certainly darley is no underdog.

Maybe they should just change their name from Darley to The Yankees and every year they will be crowned triple crown and Breeder's Cup Champs in January and then guess what happens....they run the race and they lose a lot more than they win....

Danzig
09-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Maybe they should just change their name from Darley to The Yankees and every year they will be crowned triple crown and Breeder's Cup Champs in January and then guess what happens....they run the race and they lose a lot more than they win....

well, in that case, call them notre dame...:D

Cannon Shell
09-20-2007, 07:50 PM
oops....

NoLuvForPletch
10-23-2007, 12:26 PM
So, not that anyone cares, but after all of the bitching I did about having Hard Spun run in the Classic and not put him on turf, I must now admit this seems like the right move. I can't believe he will be loose on the lead again but it certainly looks that way. Lawyer Ron is the ONLY one that has enough speed to run with him, but are they really going to send him and hook up the Hard Spun for the opening 6f? What does he have to go to have a shot 1:11? Can he get away with that?

SentToStud
10-23-2007, 12:41 PM
yeah, that's true. but darley has tremendously deep pockets, they could buy up all of it, and then every week we could watch darley horses. wouldn't that be fun? hey, we could even change the name of the breed to darleys. well, maybe not..i kid. but i always root for the underdog anyway. and certainly darley is no underdog.All thoroughbreds descend from one of three horses. Darley Arabian is one; Godlphin Arabian and Byerly Turk are the others.

Danzig
10-23-2007, 02:51 PM
All thoroughbreds descend from one of three horses. Darley Arabian is one; Godlphin Arabian and Byerly Turk are the others.

that's true.

rename them darley's darleys.