PDA

View Full Version : Bay Meadows Opening 8/22

DerbyCat
08-15-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm moving back to the Bay Area this weekend (VERY excited about that!) and have already secured a clubhouse box for opening day at Bay Meadows next Wednesday :D I'll be with a couple of friends in a box on the finish line so please stop by and say "hi" - I'll be the one wearing the Dee Tee Stables hat :cool:

Zaf
08-21-2007, 09:23 PM
DC,

Enjoy your day at the races ! :)

DerbyCat
08-25-2007, 10:13 AM
It was great to get back to my favorite track, Bay Meadows. The same faces were still there and that place truly is like a little family (and I am so happy to be a part of it). It was great to see old friends and I met a few new folks - most memorable was meeting former jockey Willie Slocum who rode at Bay Meadows back in the 40's (as well as other tracks up & down the west coast), his daughter Linda brings him to the track as often as she can (Willie's in an assisted care facility in San Mateo). I also had a chance to catch up with Stella, she worked in the grandstand side concession stand and pours the best beer of anyone I ever met - you get beer all the way to the top of the cup! (Stella says, "people don't pay for foam, they pay for beer." :D ) Stella was telling me about hooking up with an old friend of hers this summer, Russell Baze's aunt :eek: Stella and Russells aunt worked at Bay Meadows together when they were 16 years old (well over 60 years ago) and Stella showed me a picture of them together in 1943 and then another one they took recently - what an amazing story of friendship!

Well, I'm off to the track again today, I'll be in a clubhouse box and wearing my Derbytrail.com hat - stop by and say "hi" if you're there!