PDA

View Full Version : Been wanting to ask this question for 2 years now...

TogaJunkie
05-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Now that Fisherman dismantled the ESPN board, it took me a while to get used to this. I can say today was the first time in over 2 years I did not go and sneak a peek. Props DerbyTrail.

NOW... don't flame this.
I know many of you own, breed, sell, write. There is a good balance of knowledge here.

I have always dreamed of owning a horse, but I know the costs, headaches and have no contacts.

I was wondering, Oracle,Steve,LB... why don't you guys start a partnership for some of us serious lookers? I know there are tons of partnerships out there, but I just can't stomach the fact of investing with people I don't know. I am not saying I know everybody here on a personal level, but after following everybody for two years, I would have more trust to dish out money here then anywhere else.

I know it is time in my life to try it. Some people put money for a special car, well I saved some on the side for a horse. If I lose it, I will still walk away with my head up because this is what I have always wanted. To root for my own at least once in my life.........

oracle80
05-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Now that Fisherman dismantled the ESPN board, it took me a while to get used to this. I can say today was the first time in over 2 years I did not go and sneak a peek. Props DerbyTrail.

NOW... don't flame this.
I know many of you own, breed, sell, write. There is a good balance of knowledge here.

I have always dreamed of owning a horse, but I know the costs, headaches and have no contacts.

I was wondering, Oracle,Steve,LB... why don't you guys start a partnership for some of us serious lookers? I know there are tons of partnerships out there, but I just can't stomach the fact of investing with people I don't know. I am not saying I know everybody here on a personal level, but after following everybody for two years, I would have more trust to dish out money here then anywhere else.

I know it is time in my life to try it. Some people put money for a special car, well I saved some on the side for a horse. If I lose it, I will still walk away with my head up because this is what I have always wanted. To root for my own at least once in my life.........

Lansdon would be teh best one to approach for this. I wouldnt mind picking out the horse but you want Lansdon to be the primary owner in the partnership. We can get Dutrow if we do this. Picking out a private buy is the only way to go. either a NY bred two year old who is ready to go the races or just an older horse who has already run. Babies take too long to get to the races(bills eat you alive)for a partership and you can't claim one unless you have already started one at the meet.
I'd be happy to go after one privately if i saw the right one.
I can see it in the program now under owner Lansdon Robbins and Message Board stable et al.

Scav
05-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Derby Trail Stable.....

I would be 1000000% interested in this

oracle80
05-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Derby Trail Stable.....

I would be 1000000% interested in this

Talk to Lansdon and ask him. He'd have to buy it and then sell the shares in it. If you wanna win a race at Toga, I'd have to start looking now. We'd want one we could race at about the level we bought it for to we could get a purse and if someone claims it wed get out on it. Thats how the game is played kids.

Scav
05-31-2006, 06:27 PM
It really depends on the financial end of it. I think people would throw down $100 or $200 but I have seen some of those shares cost $1k-$2k for one share.

Scav isn't that much of a brawler, but I would definitely throw 500 into this kitty

TogaJunkie
05-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the hardest part is decision making. That is why I would trust you guys not some partnership scam.

As long as the investors do not stick their noses into your business.
I would believe you would do what is right for the horse/owners.

I would be in the 10-15K range for my part.

randallscott35
05-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Steve and I, along with a bunch from the ESPN board almost privately bought a horse at Gulfstream earlier this year (ultra cheap claimer) but the trainer pulled out. I'd consider doing something. A bit tight financially for me right now trying to save to buy a condo.

packerbacker7964
05-31-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm all over a grand for one. How would we split up the monthly cost and such? Where to base it at and who to train will be the easy part. I pay $25 for a trainer now and the monthly cost of feed is added to it. Usually somewhere's around 7 grand a year and she made has made a lot of it back. We're 50% owner in her.

Danzig
05-31-2006, 07:35 PM
i've already told tony i want to get involved in partnership(s) sooner the better....seems a good way to get into the game, more affordable, and spreads the risk.
however, anyone getting involved would have to understand exactly what they were getting into, and also how to get out if necessary. not something to be jumped into without some planning, info, etc.
maybe my 'someday' will be sooner rather than later...

Seattleallstar
05-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Oracle and I have been in talks in selecting a horse to buy, I hope he picks me out a good one. We also plan on goin down for next years 2 yr old sales.

PSH
05-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Didn't Dutrow sit out of Saratoga for illegal substances found in his horse(s)... I believe a guy name Rodriguez took over for him.

Not so sure i would want someone like that as a trainer
Although it would certainly explain his high winning percentage
but not necessarily what is best for the animal...

Proceed with caution

Scav
05-31-2006, 07:58 PM
Dutrow is the best trainer out there right now. If Lansdon has horses with him, that is enough for me

oracle80
05-31-2006, 08:00 PM
Didn't Dutrow sit out of Saratoga for illegal substances found in his horse(s)... I believe a guy name Rodriguez took over for him.

Not so sure i would want someone like that as a trainer
Although it would certainly explain his high winning percentage
but not necessarily what is best for the animal...

Proceed with caution
He did not sit out saratoga. His postive is the same as pletcher received a suspension for that he has appealed. Mepivicaine. An anesthetic. Not something you hop up a horse with. he won two breeders cup races after that and trained the HOY. Thast good enough for me.

PSH
05-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Sorry to offend anyone. I just recalled that he was sent down for days and assumed that it had to do with something that wasn't totally kosher. Yes, he is a high percentage trainer and yes he has won Breeder Cup races, the numbers are the numbers.

This just brings up the fact that until we have uniform testing at all tracks many of these so called "high percentage" trainers will be coming under suspecion.

Is it fair to lump Dutrow, Frankel, Pletcher with Jennifer Pederson and Scott Lake. I don't know. Maybe they are all clean and maybe some of them are not....

I guess one would suspect that Pletcher should be a high percentage trainer with the best stock in the business and as Oracle 80 states he is just better than others.

I just want a level playing field for all participants and the only way to do this is to somehow have uniform testing ... still, there will be those who will try to get around the system.

Enough venting.
I hope Dutrow and Pletcher are clean as i hope everyone is. But i am not totally nieve either.

Scav
05-31-2006, 08:11 PM
PSH,

I couldn't agree more that some people might have skirted the rules, but this is exactly like steriods in baseball, the doctors will keep on being one step ahead of testers.

I personally think that it has been around alot longer then people think. I think you just have to pick your angles when to play them and stick to those angles. You can make a ton of money betting on Pletcher/Dutrow/Frankel, but you have to stick to certain angles with them, and only play those angles, because there horses are ALWAYS underlays. This is at least how I look at it

PeteMugg
05-31-2006, 08:13 PM
I was just thinking of this the other day. I've been in a few of these as a minor partner, but I know nothing of setting one up. Like TJ, I thought this board would be a great group for a partnership. The heavy hitters could own the lion's share and us lightweights could have a small slice. If it goes, I'm down.

Scav
05-31-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm down for $500.....I'll fly to NY to see the horse run....MIKE, find an Arlington Million horse, and check your PM's

Suffolk Shippers
05-31-2006, 08:25 PM
FWIW, on the Sirius show tonight, Byk and JJ are forming partnerships for a flat entrance fee of $2800 for interest in three or four claimers.

PSH
05-31-2006, 08:35 PM
Scav:

Any light to shed on angles for Pletcher/Frankel/and Dutrow would be appreciated - like you say you have to pick your spots because of the low odds all of the time and if you play to much your ROI will be not so good..

Thanks...:)

oracle80
05-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Oracle and I have been in talks in selecting a horse to buy, I hope he picks me out a good one. We also plan on goin down for next years 2 yr old sales.

Jerry leave this sort of childish joking at the other site.
For the record, Seatlle was trying to make a joke, I do not buy horses for him.

Scav
05-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Scav:

Any light to shed on angles for Pletcher/Frankel/and Dutrow would be appreciated - like you say you have to pick your spots because of the low odds all of the time and if you play to much your ROI will be not so good..

Thanks...:)

I personally do not play Frankel that much anymore, especially on the dirt, I try and stay away from him

I play Dutrow/Pletcher the same way. I watch the board on them, especially on horses off the layoff. I think these both of these trainers you have to figure out the plan for the horse. Look at Silver Train for example. His MAIN goal was the Met Mile, his first two races, if you played against him, you made some loot in the pick threes and exactas. I actually try and keep the stakes schedule close to my eyes when looking at one of these horses. These guys train good horses. I would LOVE to know where there Stakes Win% is compared to other races besides Maiden races, I bet you it is double the %, but I could be wrong.

disappearingdan_akaplaya
05-31-2006, 11:55 PM
well guys and gal(s) (debbie) im looking to claim another 1 on my own probaly before the end of summer but if i got anything left over and we got enough seriousness and interest in this id like 2 get in. hell im already licensed in ILL, IN, and MINN, LOL why not ny too......shoulda just gotta national racing compact license

Danzig
06-01-2006, 06:44 PM
hey playa. glad to see you're around. how's dan been doing lately?

disappearingdan_akaplaya
06-04-2006, 10:52 PM
hey playa. glad to see you're around. how's dan been doing lately?
hey debbie likewise=) and thanks for asking about dan! he was doing well today, was grumbling and makin a ton of noise when he saw me pull up to the barn this afternoon cuz he knew his owner brought him apples and carrots and mints