PDA

View Full Version : Train Station in Saratoga

GenuineRisk
06-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Hey guys; I'm planning on coming in for opening weekend, but due to a play I'm in, I can only come for Saturday and Sunday. Airfare on the weekends is very expensive, as is renting a car in Manhattan, so I'm thinking I'll take Amtrak. According to Mapquest, it's just a little over 2 miles to the Racing Museum (which, I assume, is within walking distance of the racetrack itself). My question for anyone who knows Saratoga is- can I walk from the train station to the track? The distance is no problem (I am a NYC'er after all; walking is my life); I just want to make sure I can walk on Washington Street, since it's also listed as Gen Schuyler Comm. Highway.

Does anyone know? Can I walk it without getting mowed down by an 18-wheeler? Thanks, everyone!

Cajungator26
06-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Hey guys; I'm planning on coming in for opening weekend, but due to a play I'm in, I can only come for Saturday and Sunday. Airfare on the weekends is very expensive, as is renting a car in Manhattan, so I'm thinking I'll take Amtrak. According to Mapquest, it's just a little over 2 miles to the Racing Museum (which, I assume, is within walking distance of the racetrack itself). My question for anyone who knows Saratoga is- can I walk from the train station to the track? The distance is no problem (I am a NYC'er after all; walking is my life); I just want to make sure I can walk on Washington Street, since it's also listed as Gen Schuyler Comm. Highway.

Does anyone know? Can I walk it without getting mowed down by an 18-wheeler? Thanks, everyone!

I wish I knew... I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get from Albany to Saratoga without renting a car. :o

Sightseek
06-13-2007, 08:43 AM

Not sure, one would think they would have some sort of shuttle to the track, but if not, I'd be more than happy to give a fellow DT'er a lift. I'd hate to see anyone run over by an 18 wheeler. :D

GenuineRisk
06-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Not sure, one would think they would have some sort of shuttle to the track, but if not, I'd be more than happy to give a fellow DT'er a lift. I'd hate to see anyone run over by an 18 wheeler. :D

The train gets in at 11:30AM- I just wouldn't want you to have to miss any of the fun at the track... what time do the races start?

Sightseek
06-13-2007, 09:44 AM
The train gets in at 11:30AM- I just wouldn't want you to have to miss any of the fun at the track... what time do the races start?

First post is at 1.

I love to walk, but I probably wouldn't walk from the train station personally. Until you get into the Broadway/Downtown area the roads have a bit of a limited sidewalk area.

Also, since you mentioned wearing a hat to the Belmont, the annual hat contest is on Sunday . :)

Cajungator26
06-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Do they have a train from Albany to Toga?

Sightseek
06-13-2007, 10:17 AM

You might want to give them a call:

http://www.cdta.org/saratoga_schedules.php

Gen -
It looks like there is some bus service from the train station to downtown/broadway area:

http://www.cdta.org/routes/Route_72.pdf

paisjpq
06-13-2007, 10:20 AM
greyhound bus makes that trip I think.

Cajungator26
06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
greyhound bus makes that trip I think.

Thanks... :D

GenuineRisk
06-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Jamie,

Amtrak does have a train from Albany to Saratoga Springs- it's Albany-Resselaer, which is some miles (10 or so?) from the airport (I think) but it's do-able. Train fare is $17.00 one-way.

Go to the amtrak.com and enter in the stations and the date you arrive and they'll show the schedules and fares.

Cajungator26
06-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Jamie,

Amtrak does have a train from Albany to Saratoga Springs- it's Albany-Resselaer, which is some miles (10 or so?) from the airport (I think) but it's do-able. Train fare is $17.00 one-way.

Go to the amtrak.com and enter in the stations and the date you arrive and they'll show the schedules and fares.

Yeah, I checked that out...

Problem is that I come in at 8:55pm on Wednesday night and nothing leaves that late (except the Greyhound bus at 9:05.) Greyhound has no return bus from Toga on July 29th, though. I guess I should have figured all of this out a bit earlier. :eek:

I may just rent a car... might be less of a hassle.

GenuineRisk
06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I checked that out...

Problem is that I come in at 8:55pm on Wednesday night and nothing leaves that late (except the Greyhound bus at 9:05.) Greyhound has no return bus from Toga on July 29th, though. I guess I should have figured all of this out a bit earlier. :eek:

I may just rent a car... might be less of a hassle.

You could do the train at least from Saratoga back to Albany- that might save you a rental day. One-way rentals aren't usually any more than round trip, in my experience. :)

BillW
06-13-2007, 01:58 PM
There are plenty of people on this site from that area. Have you thought of cyberhitching from the train/bus station? (i.e. begging for a ride from one of the locals :D )

ELA
06-13-2007, 02:34 PM

Can you walk from the train station to the track? I am sure some would say yes, no problem, etc. However, I don't think they would say they would want to walk it. I say "No" -- for a variety of reasons. The walk is not like a 2 mile walk in Manhattan. Also, that might be 2 miles as the crow flies, and I can tell you it's not a straight walk. It's also not a flat walk.

So, alternatives? Have a cab pick you up and take you to the track. Or, depending on when you are arriving, etc., let me know, and if I am available, I'll give you a ride.

Good luck.

Eric

GenuineRisk
06-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Can you walk from the train station to the track? I am sure some would say yes, no problem, etc. However, I don't think they would say they would want to walk it. I say "No" -- for a variety of reasons. The walk is not like a 2 mile walk in Manhattan. Also, that might be 2 miles as the crow flies, and I can tell you it's not a straight walk. It's also not a flat walk.

So, alternatives? Have a cab pick you up and take you to the track. Or, depending on when you are arriving, etc., let me know, and if I am available, I'll give you a ride.

Good luck.

Eric

I'm coming in at 11:15 on Saturday the 28th- I'll send out my plea; if anyone is available to take me to the track, I'd be grateful.

Worst case scenario, I'll take a cab or walk it (I'm debating whether to try rollerblading the 8 miles to my riding lesson this weekend, rather than going via bus/subway, so I don't mind a hike). Thanks, everyone! I'll see you all at the track on Saturday!!!

Sightseek
06-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm coming in at 11:15 on Saturday the 28th- I'll send out my plea; if anyone is available to take me to the track, I'd be grateful.

Worst case scenario, I'll take a cab or walk it (I'm debating whether to try rollerblading the 8 miles to my riding lesson this weekend, rather than going via bus/subway, so I don't mind a hike). Thanks, everyone! I'll see you all at the track on Saturday!!!

You're a brave woman, the only place I ever rollerbladed was along the Charles River bike path while in college in Boston. I need nice flat surfaces :D

Same goes for Sunday if you need a drop off from the track to the train, just let me know. :)

Cajungator26
06-13-2007, 02:53 PM
You're a brave woman, the only place I ever rollerbladed was along the Charles River bike path while in college in Boston. I need nice flat surfaces :D

Same goes for Sunday if you need a drop off from the track to the train, just let me know. :)

Me too! :D

GenuineRisk
06-13-2007, 04:24 PM

That would be wonderful; I'll PM you as we get closer to the opening weekend with all my contact info. Thank you!

Sightseek
06-13-2007, 04:26 PM
That would be wonderful; I'll PM you as we get closer to the opening weekend with all my contact info. Thank you!

No problem, thank you for train directions for Suburban day! :)

GenuineRisk
06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
No problem, thank you for train directions for Suburban day! :)

I'm hopeful I'll be able to sneak out to Belmont myself on Suburban day- I have an engagement party to help set up and attend (so flattered to be a bridesmaid; so chagrined that it means I have to do stuff), but I'm going to try to do my share early and then go see the Suburban and make it back in time for the party at 8... sssshhhh.... :)

Sightseek
06-14-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm hopeful I'll be able to sneak out to Belmont myself on Suburban day- I have an engagement party to help set up and attend (so flattered to be a bridesmaid; so chagrined that it means I have to do stuff), but I'm going to try to do my share early and then go see the Suburban and make it back in time for the party at 8... sssshhhh.... :)

You're a better friend than I, I dislike weddings so much I'd sneak out of the whole thing. I hope your dress is pretty at least!

GenuineRisk
06-14-2007, 05:00 PM
You're a better friend than I, I dislike weddings so much I'd sneak out of the whole thing. I hope your dress is pretty at least!

Well, the bride booked the wedding at... a horse farm! So the scenery will be nice, anyway. In fact, I'm tempted to go down early so I can take a riding lesson there before the ceremony!

Sightseek
06-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Well, the bride booked the wedding at... a horse farm! So the scenery will be nice, anyway. In fact, I'm tempted to go down early so I can take a riding lesson there before the ceremony!

hmmm, now that might not be such a bad wedding! :D

blackthroatedwind
06-14-2007, 09:51 PM
You don't want to walk from the train station and it is a more than two miles. There will almost certainly be cabs at the station.

Good luck with the train....it's never on time.

Zaf
06-14-2007, 10:29 PM
WOW, the Saturday Card opening weekend is spectacular ! Have to show up for this one:

The Diana
The Whitney
The Go For Wand
The Alfred G.
Vanderbilt

Storm Cadet
06-15-2007, 07:55 AM
zaf...let me know if your going to go opening weekend here or on cj's site.

Zaf
06-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Ron,

I will definately be there on Aug. 16,17,18. I am going to really try for at least a day or two on opening weekend also. I will be in Maryland the week before and hope to get back in time to attend a couple of cards. I will keep you informed, hope to see you there at some point.

GenuineRisk
06-15-2007, 10:59 AM
You don't want to walk from the train station and it is a more than two miles. There will almost certainly be cabs at the station.

Good luck with the train....it's never on time.

Yeah, but seeing as how it's costing me a third of what renting a car or flying would cost, I'll deal with the delays. If it's late I'll just dry my tears with the extra money I'll have for gambling. :)

Cajungator26
06-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Yeah, but seeing as how it's costing me a third of what renting a car or flying would cost, I'll deal with the delays. If it's late I'll just dry my tears with the extra money I'll have for gambling. :)

How about this, Nicole? LOL

http://www.saratogahorseandcarriage.com/main.html

GenuineRisk
06-15-2007, 09:26 PM
How about this, Nicole? LOL

http://www.saratogahorseandcarriage.com/main.html

That is hilarious. Almost worth making a call from the train station... "Um, yeah... can I get a carriage sent over to take me to the track?"

Mortimer
07-11-2007, 01:12 PM
That is hilarious. Almost worth making a call from the train station... "Um, yeah... can I get a carriage sent over to take me to the track?"

Can you prove to me you are genuine?

Come on now....don't be shy.