PDA

View Full Version : Belmont PF's

somerfrost
06-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Well, Dr Roman gave both Curlin and Rags a PF of -47 making it the worst number earned by a Belmont winner since he started computing his numbers in 1999. We'll see what Beyer says...

somerfrost
06-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Well, Dr Roman gave both Curlin and Rags a PF of -47 making it the worst number earned by a Belmont winner since he started computing his numbers in 1999. We'll see what Beyer says...

Just for comparison, a PF -47 would equal a 101 Beyer if Beyer sees the race the same way!

MISTERGEE
06-09-2007, 11:03 PM
i have never heard of these roman #s, where can you find them, are they better than beyers or some others/

10 pnt move up
06-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Does this Roman guy account for pace? With a 50 and change half for 4 furlings I mean how fast could they run the last 8 furlings and set a decent time, the slow pace produced the slower then average final time. I bet the pace was much faster last year and the time was the same, which to me is a worse race.

somerfrost
06-09-2007, 11:11 PM
i have never heard of these roman #s, where can you find them, are they better than beyers or some others/
Dr Roman developed PF's as an alternative to Beyer figures, they consider more variables and are the product of the scientific method (Dr Roman is a research scientist by trade while Beyer is not). Dr Roman is better known for developing the modern version of dosage...I find his figures generally more helpful than Beyers. His site with detailed explanation of dosage and PF's can be found here:
http://www.chef-de-race.com/

MISTERGEE
06-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Dr Roman developed PF's as an alternative to Beyer figures, they consider more variables and are the product of the scientific method (Dr Roman is a research scientist by trade while Beyer is not). Dr Roman is better known for developing the modern version of dosage...I find his figures generally more helpful than Beyers. His site with detailed explanation of dosage and PF's can be found here:
thanks for the info i will check them out, made big on beyers befor they wer in the form, no more now, have been using thorograph but kinda pricey, i will check this out. hope you are doing well with them

somerfrost
06-09-2007, 11:17 PM
thanks for the info i will check them out, made big on beyers befor they wer in the form, no more now, have been using thorograph but kinda pricey, i will check this out. hope you are doing well with them

yeah, I refuse to spend the money for the "sheets"...Dr Roman only prints his figures for major stake races but I have found them more useful than Beyer numbers, especially for the TC and BC races.

hockey2315
06-09-2007, 11:20 PM
I'd take Beyer's opinion over Roman's ANY day. . .

MISTERGEE
06-09-2007, 11:21 PM
just quickly checked site, i guess these are not for use for everyday handicapping of races but more for comparing stakes horses?

somerfrost
06-09-2007, 11:24 PM
just quickly checked site, i guess these are not for use for everyday handicapping of races but more for comparing stakes horses?

Yeah, he does the computations himself so he does only major stake races.

MISTERGEE
06-09-2007, 11:31 PM
sad part beyers cost you about $5 for 6 or 7 tracks, sheets would be about $100, getting hard to justify that

cmorioles
06-10-2007, 04:54 AM
Whatever figures come from the race won't mean much. The pace appeared too slow to get a big number.

31lengths
06-10-2007, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the link Somer. I'm going to check it out when i get home from work today.

Dunbar
06-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Whatever figures come from the race won't mean much. The pace appeared too slow to get a big number.

Right.

Curlin and R2R got 106 Beyers. But I'm guessing Beyer fudged those upward just so they'd make some sense compared to the previous (and future) races of all these horses, like he did for the BlueGrass, which also had ridiculously slow opening fractions.

--Dunbar

cmorioles
06-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Right.

Curlin and R2R got 106 Beyers. But I'm guessing Beyer fudged those upward just so they'd make some sense compared to the previous (and future) races of all these horses, like he did for the BlueGrass, which also had ridiculously slow opening fractions.

--Dunbar

Actually, I don't think he did boost them up for the Blue Grass if I remember right, but I could be wrong.