PDA

View Full Version : Breeders Cup tickets

IrishS
05-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Where are the best seats at Monmouth/ the worst seats? This will be our 5th Breeders Cup. Being from California I have never been to Monmouth, but the tickets are so expensive this year, I want to be sure the seats will be worth the investment. Really appreciate the help.

MaTH716
05-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Where are the best seats at Monmouth/ the worst seats? This will be our 5th Breeders Cup. Being from California I have never been to Monmouth, but the tickets are so expensive this year, I want to be sure the seats will be worth the investment. Really appreciate the help.
I recieved the application the other day. They really have priced out the regular folk. As far as the prices go that start at 50 dollars and that is for general admission (standing room only). The cheapest seats are 100 dollars apiece, they are being called section 400. These seats are pretty much on the clubhouse turn. I am guessing that these will be temporary seats. There is usually nothing in this area, so I do not know if ther will be temporary, betting windows, bathrooms and concessions. I guess that they will have to make some sort of arrangements. They also have section 911-922 which are 100 dollars also. These seats are in the top of the stretch, there are betting windows there. I do not know how high the temp seating will be. Right now it is like a picnic type area. Basically you have a really good view of horses coming around the final turn, but you can forget about seeing them in the deep stretch and at the wire. For 150 dollars they have section 906-910, these just get you a little closer to the wire, they are around the 1/8 pole. For 160 dollars the have section 800, these seats look like they are somewhat on the rail. It is a little tough to tell, I am going off the application. But these seats start before the 1/16 pole and go almost to the top of the stretch. I do not know how high the seating will be, so I do not know if you will be able to see the horses on the backstretch. The 180 dollar sections are sec 600 and secs. 901-905. Section 600 is where the benches are now in front of the grandstand, they go from about the 1/16 pole to the finish line. Not sure if it will be seats or if they are selling tickets to the benches. Section 901-905 looks to be elevated seating behind part of section 800. Section 901-905 is located between the 1/16 and 1/8 poles. Section 700 are 200 dollar seats, they look like they are located behind the section 600. I think it is the same area, where the benches are now but just a little higher up. I could be mistaken about these. For 225 dollars you get grandstand balcony seats. Then for 175 dollars or 250 dollars you get seating in the Lady secret cafe (175) of the Monmouth Cafe, 225 gets you some sort of buffet. As far as my opinion, I would tell you to save your money and wait for it to go back to Belmont or Churchill where the event belongs. Even though Monmouth is my home track, I think the Breeders Cup will be a disaster this year. Monmouth Park can barely accomadate the Haskell every year let alone a Breeders Cup. When I first heard about it coming to Monmouth I was very excited, then I thought about it and realized that they are crazy for trying to pull this off at Monmouth. The track is too small, and the traffic situation will be a nightmare. There is pretty much one road in and out of the place and it gets backed up for a normal Saturday of racing. Then there is the whole pricing of the tickets, it is out of control. I assume most people go to the track with a couple of hundred dollars to play and spend during the day. You are charging fifty dollars just to get into the place, thats crazy. I myself will probably just go Friday, when the tickets are one third the price of the Saturday tickets. I believe you can get an application at Monmouthpark.com. They also say preference will be awarded to people who are looking to buy Friday and Saturday tickets. As far as where I would recommend sitting is if you have the money, try to get the grandstand balcony seats. These are permanate seats in the grandstand. Everything is there, betting windows, bathrooms, food and so on. You will have a good view of the whole track. Plus if the weather is lousy you will be covered. If it is cold you would be able to hang out inside. You might even get a view of the paddock if you walk over to the other side. This is supposed to be the biggest day of the year for racing fans, I sure hope Monmouth is able to pull it off, but I have a very bad feeling.

IrishS
05-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Thank you so much for all of the information. We loved Belmont in spite of the cold wind. We could see everything, get to the paddock easily and the train was great. Next year is Santa Anita, which was also terrific. Maybe we should skip Monmouth,but to see the greatest horses in the world as we have the past Four Breeders Cup is hard to pass up.

randallscott35
05-11-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm putting in for tix. Not cheap for good seats but when is the next time The BC will be at Monmouth? 20 years?

MaTH716
05-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Never! I really hope I am wrong. But Monmouth really is not big enough to handle this big of a crowd, on a very important day. Belmont is a big spacious park, Monmouth is just the opposite. It is a cozy, summer shore crowd, family type atmosphere track. Not to mention, what the racing will be like. You remember Lone Star?

Storm Cadet
05-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Never! I really hope I am wrong. But Monmouth really is not big enough to handle this big of a crowd, on a very important day. Belmont is a big spacious park, Monmouth is just the opposite. It is a cozy, summer shore crowd, family type atmosphere track. Not to mention, what the racing will be like. You remember Lone Star?

I agree...Monmouth Park is nice to visit on a warm summer day...but in early November. There is no heat in the facility. Parking will be brutal. There is that one lane road in and out of the track.

I'll pass on this one...I've froze my butt off at Belmont for the Breeders Cup but at least you can park and get out there easily.

Port Conway Lane
05-22-2007, 04:16 AM
Then for 175 dollars or 250 dollars you get seating in the Lady secret cafe (175) of the Monmouth Cafe, 225 gets you some sort of buffet.
Hi MaTH716,
Thanks for the writeup.
I went to Monmouth's website and from what I could tell the Ladys secret cafe appears to be outdoors with no cover. I would rather pay $50 for standing room only and walk outside to watch the races than having to sit in 40 degree weather for 6 hours in a $175 seat. I think you're right this will be a disaster especially if the weather is cold or raining. I may wait until the week before the race, check the forcast and go to ebay for tickets rather than paying $500 up front for 2 seats that are undetermined. Another thing screwed up is the webpage to apply online. It has a padlock below where a person puts their personal information and credit card # yet the webpage has no security certificate ! It's beyond me why they even pretend that this is a safe method to apply for tickets.

Port Conway Lane
05-22-2007, 05:15 AM
One more question MaTH716,
I noticed on the seating chart they make a distinction between the grandstand mezzanine seats and the grandstand balcony seats,which appear to be above the mezzanine. The balcony seats don't appear to be under cover and are $50 on Friday compared to $60 for the mezzanine. The mezzanine seats are not even listed as an option on Saturday. Are you familiar with what they describe as the balcony seats?
Thanks,

PCL.

MaTH716
05-22-2007, 01:02 PM
I do not think that there will be anyplace to go outside to see the races. It looks like they are going to try to put temp. seats anywhere they can. Including the area around the 1/16th pole to the finish line where they have benches now. I also do not think that you will be able to walk up and stand on the rail. As far as the grandstand balcony/mezzanine \ goes, they are both covered areas. I am guessing that the mezzanine will be saved for owners and sponsers. The balcony is not that bad, at least you will have a good view of the track and be covered if it rains. But I do not think that they are worth $225 dollars. I have only been up there once or twice and I am not sure about how many betting windows are up there. Hopefully I will be there this weekend, I will give a little look see and let you know what the story is. Bottom line is that Monmouth Park has one big racing day a year, and they can barely pull that off. Magnify that by 10x and lets see what you get. I would love to see Monmouth pull this off, but I just do not seeing it happening.

Port Conway Lane
05-22-2007, 02:59 PM
I think you're right about no place to stand outside. I'd want to know where I will go to have a smoke if they have guards at the outdoor exits to the concourse like they do at the Preakness. I'll look for your report on the balcony,thanks.

MaTH716
05-28-2007, 07:04 PM
I think you're right about no place to stand outside. I'd want to know where I will go to have a smoke if they have guards at the outdoor exits to the concourse like they do at the Preakness. I'll look for your report on the balcony,thanks.
As far as the grandstand balcony seats go (I think thats what they are called). You have a very good view of the whole track, but you are very high up. There are about 3500 seats there(that is a very rough guess) I counted about 12 sections of about 16 -20 rows and about 18 - 20 seats in a row. The main problem I see is that there really is nothing up there. They have tellers and automatic machines, but there is really not much space to accomadate the 3500 that will be up there. I saw a sign for a snack shop up there, but my 4 year old heard the call the post and he wanted to see the horseys. It just seemed very old and stale up there. Not old and charming like the Spa. There were a handful of people up there. My guess is that it only gets crowded up there on Haskell Day. I am guessing (really hoping) about the restroom situation. Didn't see any but really didn't give a good look. As far as getting up there. There is an escalator and an elevator that can hold 5 maybe 6. That's without any wheelchairs, so if you need to take the elevator give yourself time. On the other side of the concourse area where the betting windows are (looking away from the track) is another set of windows. Through those you can see the paddock. It's not a great view because of the trees, but you have a look. This concourse area is really not big at all and I personally believe that it can't accomadate the 3500 people that will be up there. The rest of the track will be so mobbed that going downstairs to make your bets will be just as bad. Maybe the thing to do is, place all your bets when you first get to the track. Bring some food with you, and then settle into your seats and enjoy the day. You won't have to deal with the lines at betting windows and the hot dog stands. Monmouth food stinks anyway. If you live in the area, go to monmouth on Haskell Day. Give it a good look and see what you think. Scout out the areas where you think you would want to be on BC day. I know that Haskell Day wll be nothing like the Breeders Cup, but if you think that they are overwhelmed the day of the Haskell start calling Santa Anita about next year. It's probably going to be a disaster. As far as weather goes, you are covered, but if it is freezing that concourse area is not big enough to handle all the bettors and people hiding from the elements. Unless they make a big change up there, all I see the 225 getting you is a dry seat with a good view.

Port Conway Lane
05-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Thank you very much for the report. I've decided to apply for the general admission,no friday and no substitute seats. It's too risky to prepay $400-$500 for two seats without knowing how cold it will be. I called the track and I'll be allowed to go outside to the paddock area but cannot watch the race outside.

I asked the lady I spoke with if there is anywhere to sit inside the grandstand like a theater seating area and she said no. I find that hard to believe and there is no option to purchase an indoor seat except for the clubhouse "grill" or whatever they call it.
Thanks again for the help:)

MaTH716
05-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Thank you very much for the report. I've decided to apply for the general admission,no friday and no substitute seats. It's too risky to prepay $400-$500 for two seats without knowing how cold it will be. I called the track and I'll be allowed to go outside to the paddock area but cannot watch the race outside.

I asked the lady I spoke with if there is anywhere to sit inside the grandstand like a theater seating area and she said no. I find that hard to believe and there is no option to purchase an indoor seat except for the clubhouse "grill" or whatever they call it.
Thanks again for the help:)
I do not know how familiar you are with Monmouth. But there is nothing really outside in the general admission area. It's not like Belmont or Saratoga where they have huge picinc areas with large screens. The only tv are in these small little shed viewing areas. There is only one food concession and two to four betting windows. Maybe they will add for the BC, but who knows. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Port Conway Lane
05-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Well I actually was wondering what was inside the grandstand in the way of a seating area. I asked her where I would go if I wanted to have a smoke and she told me the paddock area only.

If I have to watch it on tv I wouldn't want to be outside in 32 degree weather.

MaTH716
05-28-2007, 10:35 PM
They have some chairs/ benches on the paddock side of the grandstand. Small arcade for the kids. On the track side of the grandstand it is standing room only. Of course there are betting windows along the whole length of the grandstand. You would think that these would all be operational. If that is the case I am not sure if they would even leave the chairs / benches out. You would think it would clog everything up. So I guess you could stand inside the grandstand and watch the races on tv for your fifty bucks. And try to get over to the paddock (good luck) to take a look at some of the horses and thier connections. If you could get to the second floor (where I am guessing all the owners and sponsers will be) there might be some space there. You even might be able to find a spot to see the track. There are windows and concessions up there too. That is where I like to sit when I go to Monmouth by myself. I think it is called granstand reserved, but these tickets are not for sale. Maybe you could grease someone and just hang out on the second floor away from the general population.

Port Conway Lane
05-28-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm only 3 hours away so this is as close as I'll ever get to the BC unless they ever decide to have it at Laurel (Not a bad choice compared to Monmouth) so I'll play it by ear and look on ebay when I will have a better idea what the weather will be.

If they accept my standing room only application I'll rough it. There's always a way around the red tape at overcrowded events after a few races.

Thanks for the advice, I can "grease" with the best of them ;)

MaTH716
05-28-2007, 11:39 PM
You can always wait another 2 years (I think) and the it will be back at Belmont. It's only about an hour to 90 minutes away from Monmouth (depending on traffic).

pmacdaddy
05-29-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm sure the capacity is much less at Monmouth, but we got tickets to BC at Belmont for less than half of face value at the last minute on EBay. It was like watching a Stock Market Crash..

Of course the fact that it was 25 degrees out may have had something to do with it as well....

Clip-Clop
06-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Monmouth Park will not, can not screw this up. I have gone to the last 17 Haskells and every year it is fantastic. The reason they got the BC is because they do such a great job on Haskell Day. They get around 50K or so without any kind of seating at all and handle it really well. You get long betting lines of course but I haven't been shut out. Haskell day isn't like BC day. On Haskell day you get 40,000 people who don't know how to bet!! BC day will be excellent this year, I have to believe in the power of the Garden State to pull off the biggest day in racing with the class and dignity it deserves. As far as the racing goes compared to Lone Star, Ghostzapper won didn't he?? Go to the BC enjoy yourself at a great facility and make that ticket money back!!!!:D :D :D

MaTH716
06-03-2007, 01:42 PM
According to the Monmouth Park site ( I tried to post the article and link, but I am not to computer literate) They have had at least 40,000 every year this decade. Including one year when they had 53,000. But keep this in mind. The two times that I have gone, it seemed like everybody had 8 hats. Meaning either they know someone handing out those damn things or they paid for 8 entries. I believe the latter. 53,000 no way, I can't believe 40,000.

Clip-Clop
06-03-2007, 06:42 PM
http://www.monmouthpark.com/sharedimages/HASKELL(1).pdf

Even if people are merry go rounding for free hats, they still have a huge crowd with nowhere to sit. It will be a great day. And by the way when was the last time anyone can remember 30 degree weather in October??:confused:

Port Conway Lane
06-04-2007, 10:08 AM
http://www.monmouthpark.com/sharedimages/HASKELL(1).pdf

Even if people are merry go rounding for free hats, they still have a huge crowd with nowhere to sit. It will be a great day. And by the way when was the last time anyone can remember 30 degree weather in October??:confused:

Last year ?
http://www.almanac.com/weatherhistory/oneday.php?number=724084&wban=99999&direction=prev&day=27&month=10&year=2006&searchtype=

phystech
06-04-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread but I just had to say - I loved seeing your screen name. Great old hard knocker when he was running in MD - brings back good memories. Loved to see Lexington Park run too. Combined they must have run 250 races - and won 80.....

byalip
06-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Last year ?
http://www.almanac.com/weatherhistory/oneday.php?number=724084&wban=99999&direction=prev&day=27&month=10&year=2006&searchtype=

Hey...it's Pam. Welcome aboard. Are you going to the Belmont?

PS: I was just rewatching that TC series you gave me...seeing John Henry gut it out was the star of all the races.

Port Conway Lane
06-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi Pam ! We'll be in Vegas watching from the Hilton sports book. Lyn called Diane as we were driving home from the Preakness and offered us tickets but we had already booked the trip to Vegas. Diane emailed her your cell # and email address and didn't hear back from her after one email bounced and another went through so we're not sure if she got your info.

Are you going? It should be a great day of racing topped off by another horse who was denied the Triple Crown via the Derby.;)

Great to hear from you! Hopefully we can get together in August:)

Port Conway Lane
06-04-2007, 01:47 PM
I don't have anything to contribute to this thread but I just had to say - I loved seeing your screen name. Great old hard knocker when he was running in MD - brings back good memories. Loved to see Lexington Park run too. Combined they must have run 250 races - and won 80.....

I'll send you his pps from '76-'83 if you want to email me through my profile.Unfortunately the file is too large to attach here.

Slewbopper
06-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Monmouth Park will not, can not screw this up. I have gone to the last 17 Haskells and every year it is fantastic. The reason they got the BC is because they do such a great job on Haskell Day. They get around 50K or so without any kind of seating at all and handle it really well. :D

Many seem to think the BC will be a disaster at Monmouth. I was at Point Given's Haskell. The place was packed. I didn't have a seat. There was no additionnal seating. I had a great time. My opinion is, if you want to go, to pay the $50 to walk in and not waste your money on a seat. Also I don't think the BC will draw any more folks that the average Haskell. Belmont gets about 50 K for the BC. I doubt Monmouth will draw more than 35K to 40 K. The extra seats are merely a means of the Breeders Cup bleeding people for everything they can. Hopefully they will all sell. It will give those of us that are hoofing it more room to move around

I live in the New Haven, CT area and will probably make the 3 1/2 hour drive, if the weather isn't nasty. Will reserve a hotel room somewhere up the road on the Jersey coast on the ride home

smuthg
06-04-2007, 03:46 PM
According to the Monmouth Park site ( I tried to post the article and link, but I am not to computer literate) They have had at least 40,000 every year this decade. Including one year when they had 53,000. But keep this in mind. The two times that I have gone, it seemed like everybody had 8 hats. Meaning either they know someone handing out those damn things or they paid for 8 entries. I believe the latter. 53,000 no way, I can't believe 40,000.

I'm going to continue to pick your brain on Monmouth Park. What's the deal with the Monmouth Cafe; is there any view of the track from the cafe? How about betting machines, etc. in the restaurant? Tried to call Monmouth, but of course they are closed until Wednesday. Thanks.

MaTH716
06-04-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm going to continue to pick your brain on Monmouth Park. What's the deal with the Monmouth Cafe; is there any view of the track from the cafe? How about betting machines, etc. in the restaurant? Tried to call Monmouth, but of course they are closed until Wednesday. Thanks.
I think the Monmouth Cafe is on the opposite side of the track in the grandstand area. It looks like it is under renovation now. It has absolutley no view of the track. You might have a slight look at the paddock. But you would not be able to see anything good. If the Cafe is one one I am think about, then it is like a high school cafeteria. I have only been in there once or twice, but I do not remember seeing auto tote machines. They did have TV's in there but that was about it. The food was mediocre at best. I am not sure what they have lined up for the Breeders Cup. As far as the General Admission or Standing Room only goes, I do not believe that you will have any chance to see the track itself. All areas around the track will have temporary seating. I am guessing that they will have to put up big screens, like they have at Belmont and Saratoga all meet long. During the regular Monmouth meet they have nothing like that available. They do have these's mini structures where they have about 6 TV's with the different tracks going. I also know at Belmont in the picinic area they have large tents with screens in them where you could hide from the elements and watch the races. I don't think Monmouth has the room for any tents, and there are only a handful of spots where they could put the screens. Believe me, I want to see them pull this off. Monmouth is my home track and it would be great to see the Breeders Cup there every couple of years, but I just think that they do not have the facilities to pull this off. Not to mention that they can't have 7 panel races and the mile will be a mile and seventy yards. Personally I am debating what I want to do that day. Right now I think I just might go to Fridays card and stay at home on the big day. I would rather be in the comfort of my house and enjoy all the races than be stuck standing outside the grandstand area watching the races on a big screen there. That is if they have them.

nomad
06-04-2007, 10:47 PM
I've been to the last few BCs except for AP & the most recent one at Bel. I went to Monmouth once & think it's a real nice track. I worry more about the weather than handling the crowds. While Bel is plenty big, I recall a miserable cold windy day in NY. Lone Star managed the crowd & the weather was great. Probably SA is the ideal place for the BC. Gulfstream has been destroyed by MEC & no longer has room for a BC.

Just my 2 cents:)

nomad
06-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Hey...it's Pam. Welcome aboard. Are you going to the Belmont?

PS: I was just rewatching that TC series you gave me...seeing John Henry gut it out was the star of all the races.

Hi Pam!

Will you be around in Aug? Also did Lyn contact you about the Bel tickets? I was going to suggest she get in contact with Silvercharm also if you couldn't use the tickets but couldn't find his email.
Be well & GLA
Diane

Holland Hacker
06-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Monmouth Park will not, can not screw this up. I have gone to the last 17 Haskells and every year it is fantastic. The reason they got the BC is because they do such a great job on Haskell Day. They get around 50K or so without any kind of seating at all and handle it really well. You get long betting lines of course but I haven't been shut out. Haskell day isn't like BC day. On Haskell day you get 40,000 people who don't know how to bet!! BC day will be excellent this year, I have to believe in the power of the Garden State to pull off the biggest day in racing with the class and dignity it deserves. As far as the racing goes compared to Lone Star, Ghostzapper won didn't he?? Go to the BC enjoy yourself at a great facility and make that ticket money back!!!!:D :D :D

The last Haskell I was at was in 2003. The day at the track was fine but getting out of there was unbelievable. We literally sat in our car in the parking lot for over an hour with out moving out of the parking spot. Finally my wife drove through the lot and over the curb to get on the road. She swore she would not be going back to any more Haskell days. It's a shame because it really is the one day a year that there is decent card in NJ.

I hope I'm wrong, but only time will tell.

Monmouth used to be "my" track but now I prefer Belmont and that is where

byalip
06-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi Pam ! We'll be in Vegas watching from the Hilton sports book. Lyn called Diane as we were driving home from the Preakness and offered us tickets but we had already booked the trip to Vegas. Diane emailed her your cell # and email address and didn't hear back from her after one email bounced and another went through so we're not sure if she got your info.

Are you going? It should be a great day of racing topped off by another horse who was denied the Triple Crown via the Derby.;)

Great to hear from you! Hopefully we can get together in August:)

Yes, I'm going and have Lyn's tickets. They're right behind the winner's circle! I'm so excited that my nostrils are flaring....I'm kinda looking a bit equine!

And, I am VERY grateful that Diane thought to ask me.

Unfortunately I'll be away in August, but let's do a big get-together for MD Millions Day. I just read that the purses are heftier.

Have you been following Southwestern Heat? I just got a message about another work out, so stay tuned for an upcoming race.

Port Conway Lane
06-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Maryland Millions sounds great. I really blew it by not using SW Heat in the exacta at that juicy price:o

Have a great time Belmont day and bring home some winners:)

MaTH716
06-25-2007, 09:24 PM
I was at Monmouth on Sunday and I was talking to a lady that is involved with running the BC. She said that there will be betting kiosks and other concessions near the temporary seating that will be on the clubhouse turn.

nomad
06-25-2007, 11:02 PM
That's helpful,thanks. I have my doubts about getting tickets because they stated they will give preference to requests for both Fri & Sat. I requested for only Sat. I was there once, nice track. It seems from what I heard, it's a big undertaking, but other smaller tracks have pulled it off successfully. There is always ebay.
I'm looking forward to the 08 BC at SA. Much roomier & I can drive there!