PDA

View Full Version : Best thing about the Derby . . .

todko
05-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Todd Pletcher.

Maybe some of the owners will start thinking outside the box. Give better horses to guys like Larry Jones, Tom Amoss, Pat Byrne, Michael Matz, throw in our own Cannonshell.

Any of those guys can do just as much with a potential Derby horse as the large shops can. Probably do more.

Rileyoriley
05-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Maybe because those trainers have 1 horse they're concentrating on getting there.

The Bid
05-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Its too much to prep 5 horses for the Derby. Zito and Pletcher have both sent 5 postward and gotten a hamsandwich. Its just too much to ask a trainer to prep 5 horses for a race like that, insane really

Pedigree Ann
05-06-2007, 12:13 PM
The 'what are these horses doing in the race' horses finished a long way behind the winner. Even Imawildancrazyguy (sp?) wasn't going to have a say about who was the winner - Harvey Pack would have called him a 'suck-up fourth'. Maybe some trainers will tell their owners - 'he couldn't get close to Tiago in the SA Derby, what makes you think he'll get close to better horses in Kentucky?' for example.

Samarta
05-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Its too much to prep 5 horses for the Derby. Zito and Pletcher have both sent 5 postward and gotten a hamsandwich. Its just too much to ask a trainer to prep 5 horses for a race like that, insane really
yeah but Zito has won the Derby a couple of times......I've said this before on other threads here, Pletcher does what he does very well....and that is organize....He has developed a tremendous stable with that ability but I don't think he is necessarily the best horseman. The thing about the Derby is it is the 20 most proven 3 year olds in the country if not the world and everyone that has a runner in there is a quality horseperson. Now I'm not saying he's not a good trainer, but the #'s don't make him "the" trainer. jmo

Danzig
05-06-2007, 01:33 PM
yeah but Zito has won the Derby a couple of times......I've said this before on other threads here, Pletcher does what he does very well....and that is organize....He has developed a tremendous stable with that ability but I don't think he is necessarily the best horseman. The thing about the Derby is it is the 20 most proven 3 year olds in the country if not the world and everyone that has a runner in there is a quality horseperson. Now I'm not saying he's not a good trainer, but the #'s don't make him "the" trainer. jmo

but zito didn't win with his five horse entry....too many irons in the fire?

Samarta
05-06-2007, 01:57 PM
but zito didn't win with his five horse entry....too many irons in the fire?
oh i agree there......

PPerfectfan
05-06-2007, 02:02 PM
That Calvin Borel won the Derby after riding since he was about 8yrs old and working his a** off for any and every ride. And that Carl N. stayed with Calvin after all the agents put on the full court press to get their jocks up. Oh and that all the talk about Juvy/Derby jinx is put to rest! and that I had $100 on Streets nose. My only bet for the day.