PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga question

dadofsam
03-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi everyone. Ive been a lurker at this site for some time and enjoy reading most of it. Today I have a quick question for somebody who knows the Saratoga area- it seems there are a number of you here. Does anybody know the name of the small hotel on Crescent St. I believe right next to the Mexican restaurant? Thanks for your help!

Payson Dave
03-23-2007, 08:02 AM
I may be in that area later today...I'll get the name for you...do you need a phone number also??

Grits
03-23-2007, 08:26 AM
I may be in that area later today...I'll get the name for you...do you need a phone number also??

Dave, while there, please find me a house to rent or an apartment. One bedroom only. One woman, one 6lb Yorkshire Terrier for the month of August.

I am getting in the short rows here. I asked one person; he's busy right now though, and will get me some connections when time permits. Bless him, he's busier than a one arm paper hanger.

Payson Dave
03-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Dave, while there, please find me a house to rent or an apartment. One bedroom only. One woman, one 6lb Yorkshire Terrier for the month of August.

I am getting in the short rows here. I asked one person; he's busy right now though, and will get me some connections when time permits. Bless him, he's busier than a one arm paper hanger.

Grits,
Do you want a place just for the month of August or for the entire meet???

Grits
03-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Grits,
Do you want a place just for the month of August or for the entire meet???

The entire meet is more than I need.......after the Travers, its all not as interesting to me. I need to be there by July 29th or thereabouts.

I've looked at several places online, though they are larger than I need. I don't need a house, even; simply an apartment.

This was really a cry for help, not a serious "please find me." Something will pan out.

Go enjoy your day.

Mortimer
03-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi everyone. Ive been a lurker at this site for some time and enjoy reading most of it. Today I have a quick question for somebody who knows the Saratoga area- it seems there are a number of you here. Does anybody know the name of the small hotel on Crescent St. I believe right next to the Mexican restaurant? Thanks for your help!

No but I know the name of the one in LA.

Do you know the man in the gray suit?

Cajungator26
03-23-2007, 08:55 AM

I know the man in the gray flannel suit. Do you know him?

Grits
03-23-2007, 08:56 AM

Morte, I'm in the middle of something here, whatcha' doin' bustin' my chops or what?

You got a house, or not?

Mortimer
03-23-2007, 08:57 AM

No.

Were you wokring the corner last night?

Payson Dave
03-23-2007, 09:00 AM

Does he have red tennis shoes? If so then I know him also....

Cajungator26
03-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Grits,

I'm certain that if you're looking for something in the "clean" state of Ohio that Morty can assist you.

Grits
03-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Grits,

I'm certain that if you're looking for something in the "clean" state of Ohio that Morty can assist you.

PASS, not on the way to Thistledown.

Cajungator26
03-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Does he have red tennis shoes? If so then I know him also....

Yes, that's the same guy. Please give him my regards.

Payson Dave
03-23-2007, 09:27 AM
285he lost his shoes

dadofsam
03-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks for your help Dave. The rest of the stuff I am completely lost.

Grits
03-23-2007, 09:37 AM

Join the club, and DOS, welcome, you're not alone, believe me.

EDIT to add: This crowd could screw a wet dream.

Payson Dave
03-23-2007, 09:40 AM

DoS,
Although it may appear that things have gone astray here...I'm still planning to get you the name an number...

Grits,
How close do you want to be to the track??...walking distance??...a 10 minute drive?...or something within a 45min drive?

Grits
03-23-2007, 09:45 AM
DoS,

Grits,
How close do you want to be to the track??...walking distance??...a 10 minute drive?...or something within a 45min drive?

DAVE, nah, 45 minutes is on the other side of Albany, way other. Town or 15 out is good.

Mortimer
03-23-2007, 09:47 AM
DoS,
Although it may appear that things have gone astray here...I'm still planning to get you the name an number...

Grits,

Andy?

Grits
03-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Andy?

Maybe still asleep, if the guy with the jackhammer has Friday off. Let's hope, for his sake.

Payson Dave
03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
dos,
there is a place called the Brentwood Motel on the corner of Nelson and Gridley...it is next to the Mexican Connection...Phone number is 518-542-6688

No motels on Crescent any where near Leon's

The Brentwood is close to the track and the Horseshoe Inn but I'm not sure that I would want to stay there...

dadofsam
03-23-2007, 02:18 PM
It doesnt look great but the location seems perfect. Thanks for all your help Dave. Anyone know anything about this place?

Payson Dave
03-23-2007, 02:21 PM
There is a fair amount of info on lodging in Saratoga at www.saratoga.org

pmacdaddy
03-23-2007, 06:23 PM
I have had pretty good success with Track Listings on craigslist.org, in the Albany section (Real Estate - Vacation Rentals).

We had inquired about a condo last summer that was walking distance to the track (near Leone's). I believe it was fairly reasonable. I can dig up the contact info if you would be interested.

Grits
03-23-2007, 06:38 PM
I have had pretty good success with Track Listings on craigslist.org, in the Albany section (Real Estate - Vacation Rentals).

We had inquired about a condo last summer that was walking distance to the track (near Leone's). I believe it was fairly reasonable. I can dig up the contact info if you would be interested.

Thank you for the site. I will be sure and look into it.

Cajungator26
03-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Vacation Rentals By Owner is also a good site (although it's taking forever to load today.)

http://www.vrbo.com/

Grits
03-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Vacation Rentals By Owner is also a good site (although it's taking forever to load today.)

http://www.vrbo.com/

I've rented from VRBO for several years now. Thank you anyway, Cj.

Cajungator26
03-23-2007, 08:05 PM
I've rented from VRBO for several years now. Thank you anyway, Cj.

I should have known. :) Good luck to you on finding a place there. I'll be there opening weekend (if Southwest ever lowers their fares.)

Grits
03-23-2007, 08:34 PM
I should have known. :) Good luck to you on finding a place there. I'll be there opening weekend (if Southwest ever lowers their fares.)

Thank you CJ, if I don't find one, its not meant for me to stay in town.

And about Southwest, I don't know if you'll see those fares lowered. Book it far in advance, maybe that will save you a little.

brianwspencer
03-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Thank you CJ, if I don't find one, its not meant for me to stay in town.

And about Southwest, I don't know if you'll see those fares lowered. Book it far in advance, maybe that will save you a little.

Yea, Southwest very rarely lowers fares at the last minute like some airlines do with their packages. At least that's what I've found trying to fly to Portland.

Cajungator26
03-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Yea, Southwest very rarely lowers fares at the last minute like some airlines do with their packages. At least that's what I've found trying to fly to Portland.

It's not last minute...

It's March and I'm flying at the end of July. They normally WILL lower their fares down from what they're at right now.

Storm Cadet
03-24-2007, 11:22 AM
It's not last minute...

It's March and I'm flying at the end of July. They normally WILL lower their fares down from what they're at right now.

Jamie, You'd better look at the Southwest site...most if not all flights that weekend are already sold out or unavailable already from Ft Laud to Albany!

Let me know as it gets closer...I usually make a run from Albany airport and drive out of town friends up to Saratoga on weekends as it's on my way from Long Island. We try and coordinate their flights with my drive schedule heading north.

If you need help, let me know!

Ron

Cannon Shell
03-24-2007, 02:30 PM
It's not last minute...

Southwest soaks you during the Saratoga meet

Cajungator26
03-24-2007, 08:09 PM

Yeah, I noticed. :(

dellinger63
03-24-2007, 09:48 PM

not from chicago............... maybe try Orlando-Midway-Albany though not much to see at Midway....... Hooves you're flying same day to Albany from Florida...Though I think Chuck is familiar with the Sarasota/Tampa-Albany trip....

Cannon Shell
03-24-2007, 11:06 PM
not from chicago............... maybe try Orlando-Midway-Albany though not much to see at Midway....... Hooves you're flying same day to Albany from Florida...Though I think Chuck is familiar with the Sarasota/Tampa-Albany trip....
I was a regular on the the Tampa-Louisville and Tampa-Ft Lauderdale route. I hate Southwest

dellinger63
03-25-2007, 07:22 AM
If I was your size I'd probably hate being squeezed into that center seat as well (we're almost always late checking in) but being of compact stature it's not too bad, at least for me. Plus they are rarely delayed which is a huge problem with other carriers in and out of Chicago especially O'Hare.

Cajungator26
03-25-2007, 09:09 AM
I love Southwest, normally. I always fly them direct when I go into Nashville and normally get great airfare. So much for that idea going to Albany! LOL

SentToStud
03-26-2007, 02:47 PM
I love Southwest, normally. I always fly them direct when I go into Nashville and normally get great airfare. So much for that idea going to Albany! LOL

If you're renting a car anyway, it may be worth checking out flying into Hartford (2 hrs from Saratoga) or even Boston (3 hrs). If nothing else, it's more likely you'll find a direct flight into one of those cities than into Albany from Orlo, Tampa or WPB.

Payson Dave
03-26-2007, 02:51 PM
If you're renting a car anyway, it may be worth checking out flying into Hartford (2 hrs from Saratoga) or even Boston (3 hrs). If nothing else, it's more likely you'll find a direct flight into one of those cities than into Albany from Orlo, Tampa or WPB.

SW flys direct from Orlando to Albany and also flys West Palm to Albany with a change in Baltimore

XIIPointStables
03-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Looking for a place right now myself. This will be our fourth Travers weekend - assuming I land a place we can afford.

Best vacation of the summer, hands down.

Cajungator26
03-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the info, Bruce. I may go ahead and book a flight to Hartford and change it if the fare goes lower to Albany.

Cajungator26
03-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Southwest has a fare of $49 each way going from Orlando to Philly. Philly is about a 4 or 5 hour drive from Toga... wonder if it's worth it to do that and just drive?

Sightseek
03-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Southwest has a fare of $49 each way going from Orlando to Philly. Philly is about a 4 or 5 hour drive from Toga... wonder if it's worth it to do that and just drive?

but when you factor in gas and finding a rental that you can take out of state....

Cajungator26
03-26-2007, 03:43 PM
but when you factor in gas and finding a rental that you can take out of state....

Yeah, that's true... I guess I need to just wait and see if the fares go down. I hate it when they do this. :(

I'm just excited and want to book the damn ticket already. LOL

dr. fager
03-26-2007, 03:43 PM

that's way too damn close to me, I vote Hartford:p

Cajungator26
03-26-2007, 03:55 PM
that's way too damn close to me, I vote Hartford:p

Why don't you ride up with me, then? :D

5 hours in the car with me and you'll never want to get out. :eek:

XIIPointStables
03-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Another flight option might be Manchester, NH. Looking at a 3.5-4 hour ride. It's not terrible and I know Southwest has a hub there.

Cajungator26
03-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Another flight option might be Manchester, NH. Looking at a 3.5-4 hour ride. It's not terrible and I know Southwest has a hub there.

I got all excited at the prospect of riding with Bill (Dr. Fager) all the way to Toga, though. Haha

I checked Manchester earlier and the fare isn't low enough to mess with driving all that way. I'm just being a stubborn ass and don't want to pay the $360. Ugh. I'll end up doing it eventually. LOL

Antitrust32
03-26-2007, 04:42 PM

yea my parents live around there... maybe we can make the trip together. how long are you going for? If you are flying in Fri night and leaving sunday 8-10 hours in the car is a big chunk of time

XIIPointStables
03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
I got all excited at the prospect of riding with Bill (Dr. Fager) all the way to Toga, though. Haha

I checked Manchester earlier and the fare isn't low enough to mess with driving all that way. I'm just being a stubborn ass and don't want to pay the $360. Ugh. I'll end up doing it eventually. LOL

I hear ya on the $$ thing. The rental we've had the last few seasons has bumped it's price so we're sort of looking around for other potential options.

Storm Cadet
03-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Gator...the problem my friends have leaving Sunday race day is the traffic is BRUTAL heading anywhere SOUTH from Albany. The chances of you making any Sunday evening flight are slim. Not Long Island, Philly. Even all the late night flights out of NY-LaGuardia stop leaving at 6 PM to FLA on a Sunday night!

You still looking at the weekend of the 27th -29th?

SC

Antitrust32
03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
If we go together from Philly.. we dont have to rent a car I will steal my bros car. Better yet, he'll come with us. That young boy loves betting Leparooooooo. He has no idea about racing but before ever race he is like.. see this exacta I bet! I think hits on a 5% clip. Just like his sister.

paisjpq
03-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Jamie...look at flying Jet Blue to Burlington VT...fares are usually cheap and toga is just under 3 hours by car.

or if you are adventurous...jet blue to JFK...but the drive is worse.

pmacdaddy
03-26-2007, 07:07 PM
The ride from JFK to Saratoga isn't horrible if you can't do Albany. But you HAVE to pick your times.

Heading up your best window is Friday between before 7AM or 10AM - Noon. Saturday early AM (before 8:30AM is also usually smooth sailing.

Coming back down is a problem as mentioned above. I have always had the best luck leaving there Monday 7 or 8 AM, hitting the bridges after morning rush.

You can also check Newburg Airport in Westchester. That will put you closer than JFK and traffic would be a bit easier. Not sure who flys there though.

Damn, I wish it was August...

estreetposse
03-26-2007, 09:14 PM

Find a connector...only 35-45 min. flight to Albany from Philly
you can also fly into Pitt and connect to Albany with SW, not a bad flight.
Jet Blue used to fly into Syracuse, not sure now, 2 1/2 hr drive to the Spa.

Driving sucks!!!

Cajungator26
03-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all of the advice, guys! :cool:

Payson Dave
03-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Anyone coming to Saratoga...in addition to the races the sales are worth catching also.

Aug. 6-7: Fasig-Tipton Saratoga selected yearling sale in Saratoga Springs
Aug. 10-11: Fasig-Tipton Saratoga preferred yearling sale in Saratoga Springs
Aug. 14: Fasig-Tipton Saratoga open yearling sale in Saratoga Springs

Cannon Shell
03-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Anyone coming to Saratoga...in addition to the races the sales are worth catching also.

Aug. 6-7: Fasig-Tipton Saratoga selected yearling sale in Saratoga Springs
Aug. 10-11: Fasig-Tipton Saratoga preferred yearling sale in Saratoga Springs
Aug.14: Fasig-Tipton Saratoga open yearling sale in Saratoga Springs
Hard to recommend

southerndutch
03-30-2007, 01:37 PM
The Newburgh Airport is not in Westchester. The airport in Westchester is White Plains(code HPN) which is another alternative as it sits right on rt. 684 just north of NYC.

MisterB
04-09-2007, 02:33 PM
I believe they have a train that leaves NYC, and goes to Saratoga.