PDA

View Full Version : Help with Preakness trip

Lava
03-22-2007, 02:39 PM
I am thinking of going to the Preakness this year and I wanted to know the best place to sit and not pay a ton of money for the tickets.

philcski
03-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I am thinking of going to the Preakness this year and I wanted to know the best place to sit and not pay a ton of money for the tickets.

Top of the Stretch.

Just don't take my seats :D

ateamstupid
03-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Infield.

Lava
03-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks Guys what do you think of the Standing room only tickets

phystech
03-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Define " ton of money" for me.

I have purchased tickets off of Ebay two of the last three years. They were inside the grandstand, third floor owners boxes inside. I think I paid about $250 per seat.

As always, it all depends on your budget and what you want out of your day. If you don't mind 80,000 college students then the infield is ok for $50. If you just want to be able to be inside the building and watch TV, general admission is fine too. If you want to sit down, watch ebay for early tickets.

I, personally, think the worst seats are the Top of the Stretch bleachers. If you want to sit on aluminum in the hot sun or cold rain, then that's the way to go.

Kildaretown
03-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Go to the Pimlico website. Tickets are available. It's not sold out yet.

Lava
03-22-2007, 06:14 PM
I am just looking to get in the and see the race for under 150 a ticket. So the general admission you cant see the track you have to watch it on a TV

Sightseek
03-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I am just looking to get in the and see the race for under 150 a ticket. So the general admission you cant see the track you have to watch it on a TV

We got something like Grandstand Apron seats for $95/ea.

Sightseek
03-22-2007, 06:26 PM
I started a thread looking for tips a few months back, hope it helps you too!

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8600

Lava
03-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys

phystech
03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
If you buy general admission, you can't get anywhere to see the track. The apron is nothing but seats just for that day so you have to have a seat ticket to get outside. Gen ad gets you access to the grandstand or clubhouse inside, and that's it.

If you decide to go, send me a message and I'll tell you a way to see the Preakness horses before anyone else does..... :)

slotdirt
03-23-2007, 10:49 AM
You should still be able to buy seats up until the Derby, then it starts to sell out.

philcski
03-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Define " ton of money" for me.

I have purchased tickets off of Ebay two of the last three years. They were inside the grandstand, third floor owners boxes inside. I think I paid about $250 per seat.

As always, it all depends on your budget and what you want out of your day. If you don't mind 80,000 college students then the infield is ok for $50. If you just want to be able to be inside the building and watch TV, general admission is fine too. If you want to sit down, watch ebay for early tickets.

I, personally, think the worst seats are the Top of the Stretch bleachers. If you want to sit on aluminum in the hot sun or cold rain, then that's the way to go.

One man's trash is another's treasure, I guess. I love that section and sit there every year... in '05 the AA/Scrappy T incident was RIGHT in front of us. That was worth every penny!

philcski
03-23-2007, 10:55 AM
My apron level grandstand ticket was $90 last year. I sat in Section 47, which is near the 1/16th pole, if memory serves. For the price, it is terrible value, actually. You watch most of the race on the jumbotrons mounted in the infield.

The track is a dump, the food is barely edible (needs some Keeneland burgoo!),the area surrounding the track is a ghetto, and the transportation situation disintegrates every year (when you don't pay $60 for a 10 minute cab ride).

Can't figure why I go back every year.

I say the same thing... and then I realize all over again it's my favorite day of the year!

Sightseek
03-23-2007, 11:40 AM
I say the same thing... and then I realize all over again it's my favorite day of the year!

Better than a back to back Belmont and Meadowlands day?! ;)

Hope you're good at giving directions/tips cause we're going to need them to get too and from the track that day!

phystech
03-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Hope you're good at giving directions/tips cause we're going to need them to get too and from the track that day!

Are you talking about directions for the Preakness or Belmont? I've got awesome Preakness directions, but you've got to go early and have already purchased parking for them to be worth anything.....

byalip
04-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Here's the low down from a Pimlico regular:

Unless you bought top dollar seats--and I mean seats around the owners & trainers or in the tent, buy the absolute cheapest ticket possible that will get you outside onto the apron.

There is an area right on the finish line that is TOTALLY accessible to the public. It's the regular winner's circle that's on the apron. It's slightly raised above the ground, around 2 feet or so, and surrounded by a chain link fence. This gives it the appearance of being totally off-limits. Plus, it's right below the owners/trainers box.

The guards come by and clear the standing room area by the finish line around when the Sir Barton is run. I asked one of them where is the closest place I could stand and he pointed me to the old winner's circle. There were no crowds and it looked "private". You'll have the best view--a little above the crowd and RIGHT ON THE LINE.

And yes, top of the stretch is the WORST. You spend a ton of dough to sit in a crappy folding chair on the concrete. As the day goes on, it's mayhem and more than annoying. For parking, the neighborhood people "sell" spaces in their driveways and yards. For around $20, it's more than worth it....otherwise you walk miles. Food is AWFUL....again, the neighborhood people sell BBQ. Anything you bring in has to be in a clear cooler. No glass, no hard liquor. Check the Preakness website--they're really specific about it. But be sure to bring in anything you need to drink or eat. You DON'T want to eat Preakness food. And for betting, go straight to the automatic machines. Teller lines are around 20 minutes some times.

Mortimer
04-08-2007, 09:29 AM
I would frankly like to hear more description on those steps and that townhouse....what they really look like....and if anyone actually lives in that one particular townhouse.

byalip
04-08-2007, 12:21 PM
If you buy general admission, you can't get anywhere to see the track. The apron is nothing but seats just for that day so you have to have a seat ticket to get outside. Gen ad gets you access to the grandstand or clubhouse inside, and that's it.

If you decide to go, send me a message and I'll tell you a way to see the Preakness horses before anyone else does..... :)

Are you talking about Breakfast at Old Hilltop?

On Wed, Thurs and Fri before the Preakness, the public can go and watch the workouts from 6-9 am. They take small groups to the stakes barns and you can see horses and trainers. There's even free coffee and donuts.

phystech
04-09-2007, 04:15 PM
The unfortunate part there is that the Preakness horses usually don't ship in to the stakes barn until a day or two before the race. So, there's really nothing to see.

byalip
04-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Thursday and especially Friday mornings are almost a guarantee to see the big guns. Then you can wait around a couple of hours and get in on the Black Eyed Susan Day events: the DRF seminar, jockey signings, book signings etc. This is our version of the red carpet at the Oscars, and it don't get better than this. Corny, sure. But I savor the memories of watching DWL eat an egg sandwich and pet his beloved pony. Seeing Jill Baffert trip thru the mud, dressed to the nines. Nick Zito introducing me to Dickie Small, when I simply stopped him for an autograph. Things like that just enhance the enjoyment.

I've had War Emblem dancing in place about 10 feet in front of me, seen Afleet Alex, Barbaro, Smarty, Sun King and many others I can't even remember. Even saw Proud Citizen getting a bath...a beautiful site in the early morning.

ddthetide
04-22-2007, 01:38 PM
i was reminded of something yesterday. the NCAA Lacrosse playoffs will be in town that weekend as well you better start booking your hotels if you have not. Navy and John Hopkins will be in for sure and Hopkins usually host.

Sightseek
04-22-2007, 04:38 PM
We got our tickets friday! :cool:

Lava
04-24-2007, 05:46 PM
I just got my tickets:D