PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Kentucky Derby

robfla
03-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Thinking of going to the Derby for the first time.

should I sell the tickets or go?

what are the positives and negatives ( if any )?

If I go, I'll arrive Friday Morning and will make the Oaks card.

What/ Where should I go Friday mid-morning early afternoon or Saturday morning Derby Day? ( museums, etc. )

Appreciate any tips on where / what to do - I'll be staying 40 miles away in Elizabethtown.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Cajungator26
03-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Wish I was going... you should go! Have a great time! :)

robfla
03-22-2007, 02:18 PM
cg- i have an extra ticket :P

Cajungator26
03-22-2007, 02:22 PM
cg- i have an extra ticket :P

Hmmm... this is sounding interesting. :D

robfla
03-22-2007, 02:23 PM
have u ever been to ky derby?

Cajungator26
03-22-2007, 02:26 PM
have u ever been to ky derby?

Nope... I have not. I've been to Churchill Downs twice, but never during the derby.

slotdirt
03-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Ok, anybody who has Derby tickets and can afford to go should never consider not going.

slotdirt
03-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Speaking of which, my tickets haven't arrived yet, though every time I've ever had tickets from Churchill, they don't come until like three weeks before the event.

Lava
03-22-2007, 02:34 PM
you should go. If I had tickets I would go.:D

robfla
03-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Speaking of which, my tickets haven't arrived yet, though every time I've ever had tickets from Churchill, they don't come until like three weeks before the event.

they mail the tickets during the 1st week in april every year

Buffymommy
03-22-2007, 02:38 PM
DEFINATELY GO! TAKE PICTURES AND POST THEM. I am jealous! BUT DEFINATELY GO!

Cute doggie by the way robfla!

robfla
03-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Cute doggie by the way robfla!

thank you, ditto

miraja2
03-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Well if was me I would probably either go (less likely) or sell the tickets and use the profits to bet on the race (very likely).
However, since I am advising you instead of myself, I say sell them and then take the profits and donate it to the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation.

ALostTexan
03-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Actually, nobody has ask the important question: Where are your tickets at Churchill? If you only have infield, general admission tickets, I cannot say that I would advise you to go if you are really interested in the races and wagering on them. If you are only going for the party, then the infield is great.

If you have decent tickets with a good seat and a view of the track, then I would say to definitely go, because it is a great experience.

If you ever have a chance to go to the Belmont, I would recommend it over the Derby from a wagering standpoint. It is full of degenerate gamblers like myself, and it is really cool to go down behind the paddock to see the best 3YO's in the world, something you really cannot do as much at Churchill. Just alot more "interactive" in New York.

The Preakness? Don't waste your time or money until Maryland gets with the picture, allows slots, and redoes the entire place. Very sad that Pimilco is in such bad shape and has the entire world looking at it the 3rd Saturday in May. At least on TV it looks great, but going there is not that cool.

But, getting back to your question, Louisville is a great place, and just make sure that if you go, spend a little time on Bardstown Road, which is always full of action, but unfortunately a long way from Churchill. There is also the Louisville Slugger factory downtown, which is really cool....

ALostTexan

robfla
03-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Actually, nobody has ask the important question: Where are your tickets at Churchill?

section 123 = approx 1/8 pole

robfla
03-22-2007, 03:15 PM
OK!!

i definately going.... now for info on things to to...

thanks everyone

slotdirt
03-22-2007, 03:18 PM
I sat in 123 last year, and the seats were great. I think I have like 125 this year, which is ok, but I'm praying it's not in the temporary stands, though I think it probably is. No matter, if the weather is still nice, I'm ok with it.

And on the Preakness, come on, it's not Saratoga, but it's not that bad. I actually think the Preakness is an easier event to enjoy as a pure horseracing fan than are the Belmont or Derby.

Sightseek
03-22-2007, 03:23 PM
section 123 = approx 1/8 pole

Definitely go! We found the best seat in the house with General Admission last year and were able to come home with these pictures:

http://www.finalturngallery.com/Derby-Day

Oaks day:

http://www.finalturngallery.com/2006-Kentucky-Oaks-Day

It's an absolutely glorious time and I've gone the past two years. The prior year (2005) I went in a Suite and that was some experience as well. Derby Day is definitely what you make of it. :)

No shortage of things to do in Louisville...do a search on-line and see if they are doing the live post position draw again this year at 4th Street Live. That was a REALLY awesome night. Free entertainment follows the draw and lots of restaurants & bars all around you. The whole week is packed full with different Derby events and make sure you catch some racing the Thursday before the Oaks so you can see all that Churchill has to offer.

Have a great time! :)

Sightseek
03-22-2007, 03:26 PM
I sat in 123 last year, and the seats were great. I think I have like 125 this year, which is ok, but I'm praying it's not in the temporary stands, though I think it probably is. No matter, if the weather is still nice, I'm ok with it.

And on the Preakness, come on, it's not Saratoga, but it's not that bad. I actually think the Preakness is an easier event to enjoy as a pure horseracing fan than are the Belmont or Derby.

Going to my first Preakness this year! I am really excited because we are planning in a lot of the other things to do around the City like the Aquarium and Gettysburg on the way down.

slotdirt
03-22-2007, 03:28 PM
If you do hit the Preakness and you can still get a room, do the Renaissance Inner Harbor or the Marriott down there.

Thunder Gulch
03-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Thinking of going to the Derby for the first time.

should I sell the tickets or go?

what are the positives and negatives ( if any )?

If I go, I'll arrive Friday Morning and will make the Oaks card.

What/ Where should I go Friday mid-morning early afternoon or Saturday morning Derby Day? ( museums, etc. )

Appreciate any tips on where / what to do - I'll be staying 40 miles away in Elizabethtown.

Thanks everyone in advance.

I'll be making my 17th annual trip for the first Saturday of May. The answer to the question...it depends. Depends on whether you want to watch some horse racing or take in the atmosphere. Despite the great card of races (pay attention Maryland) the races are really spaced out and the crowd overwhelms you at the window. Thus you just can't treat this as any other day at the races.

Also, I believe the museum is closed on Derby weekend. Too many people on the grounds.

opusone
03-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Definatley go. Get there early and walk through the infield before it gets too drunk out there. Allow plenty of time to bet. Everything is fun in Louisville until you have to catch a cab.

slotdirt
03-23-2007, 10:50 AM
I'll be making my 17th annual trip for the first Saturday of May. The answer to the question...it depends. Depends on whether you want to watch some horse racing or take in the atmosphere. Despite the great card of races (pay attention Maryland) the races are really spaced out and the crowd overwhelms you at the window. Thus you just can't treat this as any other day at the races.

Also, I believe the museum is closed on Derby weekend. Too many people on the grounds.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pay attention Maryland." I think the Preakness card is absolutely stellar and always has been.

ddthetide
03-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Going to my first Preakness this year! I am really excited because we are planning in a lot of the other things to do around the City like the Aquarium and Gettysburg on the way down.

you are goin to the aquarium, the B&O Railroad museum is close by and pretty cool and Fort Mchenry too.

we went to the Oaks 2 years ago. and sat in sec- 324, AWESOME seats! if anyone would get the chance !

Grits
03-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Preakness goers....Whatever you all do, make sure, that you eat well.

No one prepares crabmeat better than Marylanders. No one. So plan to have crabcakes at one of the numerous good restaurants in the area.

CJ's is one. Its simply a large joint of a spot, nothing fancy, and its some of the finest seafood in the city. Last time I was there, the entire ESPN crew, Randy Moss et al were spread out at a large table beside me. (And those guys did some serious eating!)

Sightseek
03-23-2007, 11:37 AM
you are goin to the aquarium, the B&O Railroad museum is close by and pretty cool and Fort Mchenry too.

we went to the Oaks 2 years ago. and sat in sec- 324, AWESOME seats! if anyone would get the chance !

Thanks for the tip!

ALostTexan
03-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Guess if you are going to the Derby, you could always call over to England and see if the Queen has an extra ticket and sit with her...

ALostTexan

TBJUNKY
03-23-2007, 06:38 PM
u can catch me with the Scat Daddy camp on the 1st sat in May

Cajungator26
03-23-2007, 06:49 PM
u can catch me with the Scat Daddy camp on the 1st sat in May

Cool... I like him.

sumitas
03-24-2007, 08:09 AM
i'd love to see the Queen there. it should be a hugely electric day, of course. i still don't want to see any horse wear #8 this year. i just don't think it's right that #8 should be on a horse this year at the derby.

Thunder Gulch
03-24-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't want the Queen there. Nothing against her, but she represents a target and security checks are already tight.

Sightseek
03-24-2007, 08:54 AM
sightseek, your pics of barbaro almost made me cry...if i don't spend all the bf's money beforehand, we will be there (suites are $1650 a person! are you rich??? i think we will be in the 3-figure level...) i am hoping it doesn't rain...anybody got a farmer's almanac handy?

Then definitely don't view the tribute videos of him on Youtube. :(

Speaking of Youtube...if anyone is thinking of being there for the week, here is a taste of week's activities:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Kentucky+Derby+Festival