PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Gotten Into the World Cup?

randallscott35
06-22-2006, 07:48 PM
I can't help it but it has kind of grown on me. I would never watch regular soccer but the World Cup is intense. Fun stuff. Pulling for Spain, small play on them to get to the final. Classic underachievers but maybe they're due....?

Hoisttheflag
06-22-2006, 07:51 PM
I can't help it but it has kind of grown on me. I would never watch regular soccer but the World Cup is intense. Fun stuff. Pulling for Spain, small play on them to get to the final. Classic underachievers but maybe they're due....?

I have. US needs to get faster players. They look like they are maiden claimers running against stake horses. I am pulling for Ghana.

Cunningham Racing
06-22-2006, 08:20 PM
I have. US needs to get faster players. They look like they are maiden claimers running against stake horses. I am pulling for Ghana.

Well stated.............

somerfrost
06-22-2006, 08:22 PM
There may be no crying in baseball but sure is a lot in soccer!

randallscott35
06-22-2006, 08:48 PM
There may be no crying in baseball but sure is a lot in soccer!

I couldn't agree more. This is the worst part of the whole thing. Talked to some friends who are into soccer who claim this is just part of the game but its just plain stupid. Everytime a guy falls, they grab their ankle. Pratfalls. Nonsense.

Scurlogue Champ
06-22-2006, 08:56 PM
I have been watching as many games as I could, and the showing that Brazil put on today was impressive to say the least.

ArlJim78
06-22-2006, 09:05 PM
I couldn't agree more. This is the worst part of the whole thing. Talked to some friends who are into soccer who claim this is just part of the game but its just plain stupid. Everytime I guy falls, they grab their ankle. Pratfalls. Nonsense.

I try to get up to watch the world cup, after all it's the biggest sporting event in the world right? Every time I watch a football match (soccer), I remember why I can't stand it. The sight of grown men diving to the ground, writhing in agony, holding their ankles, face knotted in anguish, every time someone comes near their feet. Then after this big display they're back up and in action only minutes later as if nothing happened. Of course it goes on in domestic sports as well but not nearly as blatant. I didn't notice this so much from the US squad but the Italians were sickening.

zippyneedsawin
06-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah, it's ridiculous. I'm always amazed at the player's ability to trot back onto the field two minutes after he was carried off on the little cot they bring out.. What a miraculous recovery!! They need to issue more yellow and red cards for the guys taking a dive(there are more of those than actual fouls in a game)

add on thought: They should make a rule that forces a player to sit out the rest of the half if he's carried off on a stretcher.. I bet those guys don't roll around so much.

Hickory Hill Hoff
06-22-2006, 09:49 PM
It's over (at least for the U.S.)...thank god!!! It will always be a sport for the youth. Kids from K thru 12. NEVER a american past time.

ArlJim78
06-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah, it's ridiculous. I'm always amazed at the player's ability to trot back onto the field two minutes after he was carried off on the little cot they bring out.. What a miraculous recovery!! They need to issue more yellow and red cards for the guys taking a dive(there are more of those than actual fouls in a game)

add on thought: They should make a rule that forces a player to sit out the rest of the half if he's carried off on a stretcher.. I bet those guys don't roll around so much.

I'd go further. If you go off in a cot or stretcher you're out of the match and must spend the night in the hospital for observation. Don't need to take any chances.

To control the diving I would have a panel of diving/acting judges on the sideline. Each time a guy takes a flop the judges score it and if rates above a 5.0 then it's an automatic red card and a free audition on Fox's So You Think You Can Dance.

ateamstupid
06-23-2006, 03:08 AM
Moved to the Sports Bar.

TheSpyder
06-23-2006, 06:07 AM
I love soccer. I don't think you understand the pain and agony thing. Have a friend run up to you and kick you in the leg as hard as he can and see how that feels. Look what happens in basketball when players are shoved under the basket. Then think about if the same thing happens and someone shashed you in the leg at the same time. True they add the acting to get someone the yellow card but....BIG OUCH

As for the games, they have been great and Brazil is just awesome AND it only gets better and more intense as the next roung begins